Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Beltran

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
    Carlos Beltran's deal with HOU includes a full no-trade clause.

Possible HOU lineup w/Beltran in the fold, 1 yr./$16m: Springer, Bregman, Altuve, Correa, Beltran, Reddick, Gattis, McCann, Gurriel.

Carlos Beltran has agreed to terms with the Astros.
    Year Age Tm LG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB Awards
    2014 37 NYY AL 109 403 46 94 23 0 15 49 37 80 .233 .301 .402 .703 98 162
    2015 38 NYY AL 133 478 57 132 34 1 19 67 45 85 .276 .337 .471 .808 119 225
    2016 ★ 39 NYY/TX AL 151 552 73 163 33 0 29 93 35 101 .295 .337 .513 .850 122 283 AS

Astros Future @AstrosFuture
    Springer, CF Bregman, 3B
    Altuve, 2B
    Correa, SS
    Beltran, LF
    Gattis, DH
    McCann,
    C Reddick, RF
    Gurriel, 1B

#Astros
    Last edited by H2O4me; 12-03-2016, 02:32 PM.

Beltran returning to Houston in 2017

By Brian McTaggart / MLB.com
    HOUSTON -- More than a decade after his memorable postseason performance for the Astros helped vault him to stardom, Carlos Beltran is returning to Houston for 2017 after agreeing Saturday to a one-year, $16 million contract with a full no-trade clause, a source confirmed to MLB.com. The team has not confirmed the deal.

Beltran, 39, figures to split time between outfield and designated hitter for the Astros like he did last year for the Yankees and Rangers, a season in which he was an All-Star for the ninth time. The veteran slugger hit .295 with 29 homers and 93 RBIs in 151 games with New York and Texas, which acquired him midseason.

The signing of Beltran marks the third major addition to the Astros' lineup in the past three weeks. Last month, the Astros traded for veteran catcher Brian McCann and signed free-agent outfielder Josh Reddick. Beltran, McCann and Reddick join a lineup that includes American League batting champion Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa, George Springer, Alex Bregman, Yulieski Gurriel and Evan Gattis, who led the team in homers this past season.
    #STACKED

ó Dallas Keuchel (@kidkeuchy) December 3, 2016
    Previously, the club signed free-agent starting pitcher Charlie Morton and acquired outfielder Norichika Aoki off waivers -- all prior to the start of the Winter Meetings, which begin Monday. The Astros are still in the market for a starting pitcher as they prepare for the start of the Meetings.

Beltran's previous tenure in Houston was short, but memorable. The Astros acquired him from the Royals on June 24, 2004, in a three-team trade, and Beltran helped push a star-studded team that included Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell, Lance Berkman, Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and Roy Oswalt into the postseason. Beltran hit .258 with 23 homers, 53 RBIs and 28 steals for the Astros, and he represented them in the All-Star Game at Minute Maid Park.

In an historic postseason, Beltran mashed eight home runs, tying the Major League record for a single postseason set by Barry Bonds in 2002. That included homering in five straight games, including the first four of the National League Championship Series against St. Louis.

The Astros were then outbid in free agency by the New York Mets to retrain Beltran in offseason negotiations that went down to the wire. He signed a seven-year, $119 million deal with a full no-trade clause with the Mets after the Astros had offered $108 million and a limited no-trade clause.

In his 19-year career, which has also included stints with the Cardinals and Giants, Beltran has pushed himself into Hall of Fame consideration with a .281 career average, a .354 on-base percentage, 2,617 hits, 421 homers, 1,536 RBIs and 312 steals.

Comment

Carlos Beltran is an Astro again, so let's watch every dinger from his iconic 2004 postseason

When the Astros traded for Carlos Beltran at the 2004 non-waiver Trade Deadline, they thought they had acquired a very good two-way player. And, for the remainder of the regular season, they were correct. Beltran hit 23 homers and posted a .926 OPS over 90 games in Houston, helping lead the team to a Wild Card berth.

And then October came around, and Beltran morphed from "very good two-way player" to "dinger demigod intent on waging war against every postseason record imaginable." Even more than a decade later, the numbers defy belief: 12 games, a .435/.536/1.022 slash line and eight dingers -- including an absurd stretch of six in five games. So, now that Beltran is officially headed back to Houston, what better way to celebrate than to watch every single one of them?

Beltran wasted absolutely no time getting his dinger party started. In his very first postseason game, he took Braves starter Jaret Wright deep for a two-run shot in the fifth inning of NLDS Game 1 en route to a 9-3 Astros win.

After failing to hit a homer in Game 2 -- presumably in order to lure Atlanta into a false sense of security -- Beltran was right back at it as the series shifted back to Houston. This time, he opened the scoring with a two-run blast in the third off of Paul Byrd, as Houston took a 2-1 series lead with an 8-5 win.

Alas, Beltran went dingerless again in Game 4. He would make up for it by going deep in the deciding Game 5 -- twice:

Next up: the Cardinals in the NLCS, and for a while it seemed like Beltran may never stop hitting homers. He went yard in his first at-bat in Game 1 against St. Louis starter Woody Williams:

Then he went deep against Matt Morris the very next night:

Beltran didn't go deep the next night, but in his defense, the series was taking a day off to travel back to Houston. Once things picked up again for Game 3, well:

And, finally, the cherry on top: Another homer in Game 4, his fifth straight game with a dinger, and this one ended up being the game-winner as Houston evened the series:

Sure, he didn't hit another homer for the remainder of the series, and Jim Edmonds eventually got the last laugh with a long ball of his own. That just means one thing: Beltran's got some room for improvement this time around.

Comment

Beltran adds more than offense to Astros

Buster OlneyESPN Senior Writer
        There are valuable contributions that could never be quantified, like that first time in Indians spring training last year that Clevelandís young players saw how much pride Mike Napoli took in advancing 90 feet on a pitch in the dirt. It was a moment, some of them said at the end of their season, when the team started to take a much different approach on the bases.

There was unquantifiable value in the time that Napoli took to play cribbage with young infielder Jose Ramirez every day. Or the work that catcher Chris Gimenez did with Trevor Bauer, guiding him to improve his focus on some necessary changes. Or the fact that within an hour after Starlin Castro was traded to the Yankees, Carlos Beltran reached out to him with a text message and offered whatever help for Castro was needed.

Based on the composition of the Astrosí clubhouse, it was apparent that Houston -- an organization that has succeeded recently due to its application of metrics -- didnít see the value in those intangibles as much as other teams did. But some players who wore the Astros uniform recently came out of that experience echoing the same words: They need some veterans in there. Those players could really use some guidance.

Through the moves made this winter, Houston will have that, along with a much deeper lineup. The Astros traded for Brian McCann, signed Josh Reddick, and on Saturday, they locked up the switch-hitting Beltran to a one-year deal.

Cubaís Yulieski Gurriel signed what will apparently be one of the last big deals for international free agents last summer with the Astros, for $47.5 million over five years, and it appears possible he will bat ninth. Houstonís lineup could look like this:

CF George Springer

3B Alex Bregman

2B Jose Altuve

SS Carlos Correa

LF Carlos Beltran

RF Josh Reddick

DH Evan Gattis

C Brian McCann

1B Gurriel

There is tremendous flexibility between the Houston position players, as there was for Joe Maddonís Cubs last year. Bregman and Gurriel can play infield and outfield spots, allowing manager A.J. Hinch to mix and match based on platoons and defensive needs on a given day, as he also draws on a nice bench: infielder Marwin Gonzalez and outfielders Nori Aoki, Teoscar Hernandez, Tony Kemp and Jake Marisnick.

There is a need for additional starting pitching, for sure -- Houston has the softest-tossing rotation in the majors, and the Astros were starved for depth last season -- and the Astros will make more moves with their staff this winter. Itís worth remembering, though, that Houstonís run production could provide a much greater margin for error for the pitching staff.

And the clubhouse dynamic will be very different next year. One former Astro said of the team, in words meant to be observational rather than critical: ďThey need some grownups in there.Ē

They will have more experience, with McCann, Reddick and Beltran. This will help, along with all of the apparent improvement in their offensive production.

Astros DH production in 2016

AVG .219 15th
        SLG .385 15th
        OBP .302 13th
        HR 19 T-13th
        Source: ESPN Stats & Information

Comment

Thickie Don @AstrosCounty
          Beltran will cost $200,000 more than Rasmus

Perspective.

Comment

For '04 Astros, Beltran was lightning in a bottle
            Trade brought outfielder to Houston to set up unforgettable postseason performance
            By Brian McTaggart / MLB.com
            HOUSTON -- It's been more than a dozen years since Carlos Beltran's unforgettable October in Houston helped vault him to stardom. It was brief, but magical -- and it still has his former teammates filled with wonder, even today.

Beltran, an up-and-coming star traded to the Astros in June 2004, tied Barry Bonds' single-postseason record by hitting eight home runs in that postseason, including homers in five consecutive games. He signed with the Mets a few months after the Astros were eliminated in the National League Championship Series by the Cardinals, but his legacy remained.

Now that Beltran is returning to Houston at 39 years old -- he signed a one-year, $16 million deal this offseason -- those who were around him in 2004 still have vivid memories of his October to remember.

"There's some guys who wear a Superman shirt, but he was Superman," Hall of Fame second baseman Craig Biggio said. "Anybody that was part of it, that saw it, watched it -- every ball he hit was hard. Every out he made was hard. It was one of the most incredible hitting experiences I've seen in my life for that time of year and the numbers he threw up."
            Beltran singles off wall
            10/20/04: Astros center fielder Carlos Beltran's single off the right field wall is his 20th hit of the postseason
            Beltran, a dynamic switch-hitter, was traded from the Royals to an Astros team that was loaded with star power but underperforming late in June. He played only 90 regular-season games with the Astros, batting .258 with 23 home runs, 53 RBIs and 28 stolen bases and helping the Astros go 36-10 down the stretch to clinch the NL Wild Card on the final day of the season.

"He was possibly the most talented player I ever played with, just in terms of speed, power, arm strength," former Astros catcher Brad Ausmus said. "He was a five-tool guy, really."

The best was yet to come.

In the playoffs, Beltran had a performance for the ages. He hit two home runs in Game 5 of the NL Division Series against the Braves, and then hit one homer in each of the first four games of the NLCS against the Cardinals, including the game-winner in Game 4. He hit .435 with eight homers, 14 RBIs, six steals and a .536 on-base percentage in 12 playoffs games for Houston.

"It wasn't just hitting balls out," former Astros closer Brad Lidge said. "It was hitting rockets that were still going up when they hit the second deck. Like crazy stuff. I obviously had a chance to watch [Lance] Berkman and everybody else hit the ball -- [Jeff] Bagwell -- but I never see a ball jump off anyone's bat like it did off Beltran's."
            Beltran homers in third straight
            10/14/04: Carlos Beltran connects for a home run for the third straight postseason game, giving him six total for the 2004 playoffs
            Like Ausmus, Bagwell said Beltran is the best all-around player he's played with.

"There's not one thing he couldn't do," he said. "The other thing about him obviously was his postseason, which I happened to have the best seat in the house, because I was on deck. And there's one video -- I was thumbing through some things to show my wife because it was so impressive -- of a home run, and I remember walking up to home plate and you could see Carlos coming and me talking to [Cardinals catcher Mike] Matheny.

"And he's like, 'You've got to be kidding me.' I said, 'Dude, this is unbelievable.' It was something special. He's such a good guy. I didn't do many things often, but I called him in Puerto Rico [after the 2004 season] to get him to come back. He's something special you don't see very often."

In Game 4 of the NLCS, Beltran hit a tiebreaking homer off Cardinals reliever Julian Tavarez in the seventh inning. Beltran, batting left-handed, reached down and hit a 2-2 slider that was headed for the dirt and launched it into the Astros' bullpen in right-center.
            Beltran's eighth playoff homer
            10/17/04: Carlos Beltran's eighth home run of the postseason gives the Astros a 6-5 lead in the bottom of the 7th
            "I know certainly the playoff run for him was unbelievable, and might have been really the turning point in his career, quite frankly," Ausmus said.

Lidge recalled how Beltran once gracefully jumped at the fence at Minute Maid Park to make a catch. Ausmus remembered how easily Beltran glided from first to third, and second to home. Everyone in Houston was disappointed when the Mets outbid the Astros to land Beltran, who said earlier this month he would have stayed in Houston had he received a no-trade clause.
            Beltran on return to Astros
            Carlos Beltran discusses his return to the Astros and reminisces about his memorable 2004 postseason performance with the team
            "It was an honor to play with him as well, but really just something individually that I don't think people realize just how gifted he is, and it's great he was able to keep going this long," Lidge said.

When recalling the Beltran trade last year, former Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker said it was one of the most exciting trades he's ever been involved with.

"Never did I dream or could have dreamt that Beltran would make the impact he did," Hunsicker said. "His postseason run that year was legendary. Still is."

Best I've ever seen.

Comment

If this doesn't pump you up, nothing will...

Why Iím Coming Back to Houston

THE PLAYERS' TRIBUNE
              CARLOS BELTRŃN/OUTFIELDER / HOUSTON ASTROS
              A few weeks ago, after I had decided I was going to sign with the Astros for next season, one of the first things I did was call up Josť Altuve and Carlos Correa.

I knew thereíd be a press conference in Houston, and I wanted to see if theyíd be around so we could grab dinner and talk for a bit. I was hoping to get a sense of how they were preparing during the off-season, their expectations for next year, stuff like that.

So after I answered a bunch of questions at Minute Maid Park, and posed for lots of pictures, the three of us met up at the steakhouse in The Galleria. Almost immediately after we sat down, I realized that the upcoming season was going to be even more fun than I had imagined.

Astros fans, Iím here to tell you: Itís going to be a special year. Mark it down. I can already tell Ö after just one dinner uptown.

At first the three of us were just sitting at the table making small talk, but then, all of a sudden, Josť turns to me with this really serious look and starts talking baseball. It was like he couldnít take it anymore. He had something he needed to bring up.

ďCarlos,Ē he said, ďI need to get better.Ē

Astros fans, Iím here to tell you: Itís going to be a special year. Mark it down.

At first, I just kind of looked at him.

I mean, this is a guy who has been one of the most consistent players in the big leagues pretty much from the day he got called up. Last year he hit .338.

So he continues on, and heís asking me for advice on how to improve when it comes to hitting certain pitches. Heís like, I know I didnít hit such and such pitch great last year. What can I do to hit that pitch better?

This guyís not happy with .338. He thinks he can hit .360. Heís like, Carlos, I know I can hit better. And heís absolutely dead serious.

The whole time, Correa is just smiling and kind of shaking his head.

He knows íTuve well at this point, knows this is his M.O. So heís just taking it all in with a big smile ó one youíd expect from a guy who, at the age of 22, has become one of the top shortstops in the game. Correa and I have talked a lot about leadership during the past two years, and heís always asking for advice that will help him be a clubhouse leader even though heís one of the younger players on the team. So this kid gets it, believe me. And heís just soaking it all in.

The three of us talked for hours that night ó sharing ideas and advice and talking about specific things we could each do to get better. After we parted ways, and as I drove back to my hotel, all I kept thinking was.Ö

Wow! These guys are the real deal.

I was just smiling to myself over and over again, because I couldnít stop thinking that. Well, that and.Ö

I canít wait to get this season started.

The first time I became a member of the Houston Astros was in 2004. I had just turned 27 then. Iíd played six and a half seasons in Kansas City, but I was still a kid. Iíd never been to the playoffs, never really experienced any winning on a consistent basis.

The Astros were in the National League at that point, and coming over to a different league, I felt a little lost, honestly. It was like everything was new to me, and I struggled with that at first.

Luckily, when I arrived in Houston they gave me a locker next to Craig Biggioís.

Iím sure it seems like a small thing. But in all honesty that decision ó where to have Carlos get dressed in the clubhouse ó had a huge impact on my career, and on the player Iíve become.

Iíd always heard stories about Biggio, about how dedicated and passionate he was. So I went and talked to him about the uncertainty I was feeling.

When I was finished, he looked at me, and thought for a second. You could tell he was really considering how to respond. ďCarlos,Ē he said, ďin the National League, they throw more fastballs. I want you to be more aggressive over here. Itís not like the American League where they pitch around certain hitters. Donít be hesitant. Youíll see good pitches over here. Just hit them. Youíll be fine.Ē

It made perfect sense, and, of course, I listened. Then I spent the rest of the season learning everything I could from Biggio. I watched him like a hawk.

There are four or five guys who really shaped me into the player and person I am today. Craig Biggio is one of those guys. I owe so much to that man.

I saw how he went about his business, and prepared for each game, and the way he played hard every single day ó and I mean super hard. I remember thinking: This guyís an animal. This is unreal. Where does he get all that energy? More importantly, though, I was like, Thatís the example I want to follow right there.

I decided I was going to learn as much as possible from that guy. It was going to be my No. 1 priority. At the same time, I watched Jeff Bagwell and Roger Clemens work. I saw Andy Pettitte battle. I watched Lance Berkman and Jeff Kent and Roy Oswalt, guys who were some of the best to ever play this game. I soaked it all in, every last bit of it.

When the 2004 season ended, Iíd hit 23 home runs in just 90 games with the Astros. I made my first ever trip to the playoffs and had eight more home runs in those two playoff series while hitting .435.

Something just kind of clicked.

PHOTO BY RONALD MARTINEZ/GETTY IMAGES

I often find myself thinking back to that 2004 Astros team Ö and how we came up just short. I canít wait for the chance to help us get over that final hurdle this time around. -- CARLOS BELTRŃN

Twelve years later Ö I find myself back in Houston.

Life is funny sometimes, you know?

A lot has changed since 2004, thatís for sure. Iím 39 now. Iíve played for a bunch of different teams, and Iíve pretty much seen it all.

Before I signed, I had a few conversations with A.J. Hinch. We talked about the season I had last year, and what I thought I could do from a production standpoint ó how my bat could help the Astros achieve a deep playoff run next season.

After that, we talked about mentorship.

The Astros have an unbelievable group of young players leading the team ó and, believe me, itís not just Altuve and Correa either, thereís Springer and Bregman and Reed, a whole bunch of extremely talented guys. But nothing in this sport comes easy. Youíre going to go through a lot of ups and downs. Thereís no escaping it, no matter how talented you are.

Over the years, Iíve become passionate about helping guys get through those down times ó whether itís sharing preparation tips, or things I do in the cage, or just providing encouragement. If someoneís struggling, or needs some guidance, I want to do all I can to help, and I told A.J. that straight up.

Then, when I decided to join the Astros, I called him up and relayed a very simple, straightforward message.

ďPut my locker next to young guys who I can help,Ē I said. ďGet me around the kids Ö the players who I can have an impact on. In spring training, during drills, whenever you can. Give me the opportunity to help all the young players get better.Ē

He promised me heíd do that, and I couldnít be happier about it.

Iíve had a ton of people help me with my game over the years ó dozens, maybe even hundreds. And Iím super grateful to each and every one of those individuals. But there are four or five guys who, more than anyone else, really and truly shaped me into the player and person that I am today.

Craig Biggio is one of those guys. I owe so much to that man.

Over the years, anytime my team would be playing in Houston, Craig would seek me out at the stadium and come down to say hello. And, to this day, every time I see him, I make sure to look him in the eye and say, ďThank you.Ē

Now that Iím back in an Astros uniform, itís going to be wonderful to see Craig more, and to spend more time with him. I think heíll be psyched to see firsthand how his leadership and guidance back in the day rubbed off on me.

But, you know what.Ö

I feel like heíll be even more excited if I can hit a bunch of bombs this year and help get Houston back to the World Series. I know full well that, more than anything else, this team will be relying on me to produce. At the end of the day, itís all about winning baseball games and doing everything I can on the diamond to help bring Astros fans their first world championship.

Itís very possible that this may be my last go-round, so you better believe Iím going to give it my all.

For me personally, winning the World Series would mean everything ó it would be the capper on a career thatís already been far better and more rewarding than Iíd ever imagined possible. It feels funny to even write this, and I almost canít believe it, but Iím about to begin my 20th season this year. And as you get older, you definitely start to think about how many more shots you have left.

To be honest with you, itís very possible that this may be my last go-round, so you better believe Iím going to give it my all.

But let me not get ahead of myself. Iím not thinking about all that right now.

At this point, Iím just looking forward to getting things rolling at Minute Maid Park in a few months. In preparing for the upcoming season, I often find myself thinking back to that 2004 Astros team Ö and how we came up just short. I canít wait for the chance to come through in clutch situations, and get big hits, and do everything else I can to help us get over that final hurdle this time around. And if, in the process, I can somehow help íTuve figure out how to hit .360, well Ö all the better.

Leer este artŪculo en espaŮol, haga clic aquŪ.

CARLOS BELTRŃN / CONTRIBUTOR
              Last edited by H2O4me; 01-10-2017, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Beltran passes Pete Rose in career extra-base hits

ANAHEIM -- The milestones continue to fall for Astros designed hitter Carlos Beltran, who went 2-for-5 with two runs scored and two doubles in the Astros' 7-6, 10-inning win over the Angels on Friday night at Angel Stadium.

His doubles pushed him past Pete Rose and alone into third place all-time for extra-base hits among switch-hitters with 1,043. The doubles allowed him to pass Rogers Hornsby and go into 34th in Major League history with 542, tied with Harry Heilmann.

Among switch-hitters, Beltran trails only Eddie Murray (1,099) and Chipper Jones (1,055) on the extra-base hit charts. Next on the doubles list for Beltran is Tony Gwynn (543) and Derek Jeter (544). He ranks 47th in all-time RBIs with 1,545, five behind Fred McGriff, and he's eight homers behind Cal Ripken Jr. for 48th all-time.

Comment

Astros Future@AstrosFuture
                  Carlos Beltran

April: 23 G, 5 XBH, .627 OPS, 72 wRC+

May: 22 G, 12 XBH, .825 OPS, 122 wRC+

Comment

Working...
                  X