X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Altuve

Deserves his own catchall thread...

Houston Astros@astros
    Congratulations to @JoseAltuve27 on being named the American League Player of the Month for June!

Season stats:
    .352 BA/111 hits lead MLB

.992 OPS is fourth in MLB

Really having a phenomenal season... and he's 5'5" tall.
    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Houston Astros @astros
    Congratulations to @JoseAltuve27 on being named a starter at 2B for the American League in the 2016 @AllStarGame!

His 4th all-star game. Only Biggio (7) & Berkman (5) w/ more all-star appearances for Astros.

He turned 26 in May.
    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Astros' Jose Altuve reunites with agent Scott Boras
      Jose Altuve is on his way to a fourth All-Star game in five years and has spent nearly all of this season in the American League MVP discussion.

And before Friday's game, the star second baseman confirmed he is once again being represented by Scott Boras' firm, which could get him paid like one of the sport's best down the road.

"I think that's the best decision I can make," said Altuve, 26, who switched from Boras to Octagon in 2013, rejoining the agency after switching to Boras a year before. "I think he's the right guy for me right now. That's what I feel."

Altuve currently has arguably the most team-friendly deal in baseball. After leaving Boras for Octagon in 2013, Altuve signed for four years and $12.5 million guaranteed. He's making $3.5 million this season, and with club options for both 2018 and 2019, the deal can increase to $25 million.

According to spotrac.com, which tracks team and player contracts, Altuve is the 11th-highest salary for the Astros this season. With his current deal, he won't be eligible to become a free agent until 2020.

Royals catcher Salvador Perez, who is a childhood friend of Altuve's, signed a similar team-friendly deal and is now the precedent for teams locking up their stars while making them financially secured.

Perez made his debut a month after Altuve in 2011 and signed a five-year, $7 million contract before the 2012 season. The 26-year-old has since become the AL's best catcher, earning his fourth All-Star nod and winning the Gold Glove three years running.

Before this season, Perez and the Royals, which had him under team control until 2019, agreed to a five-year, $52.5 million extension. Perez changed agents before the extension.

"It can go good, it can go wrong, but I feel like I'm doing the right thing," Altuve said.

So, will out owner pay these superlative performers or will he let the talent walk out the door...?

Comment

Angel Verdejo Jr. @ahverdejo
        Latest @BovadaLV odds have Jose Altuve at 5/1 to win the AL MVP. Third behind Mike Trout (7/2) and Josh Donaldson (15/4).

Comment

Lance McCullers Jr. ‏@LMcCullers43
          The best video to ever hit the Internet #Htown #backstreetboys #ShowStros !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! https://www.instagram.com/p/BIBRubkhqnD/

Comment

Jake Kaplan @jakemkaplan
            Jose Altuve 2016 home/road splits--

Home: .290 BA, .861 OPS
            Road: .417 BA, 1.105 OPS

Mike Lynch @SportInfo247
            Holy smokes. Best road BA (min. 200 road PA) since 1925! http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl....cgi?id=9z6Xj

Comment

Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
              Jose Altuve's 1st in MLB in BA (.354) and H (131), 2nd in OBP (.422), 4th in SB (25), 6th in R (73), T-6th in 2B (26), 7th in OPS (.984).

Comment

Alyson Footer @alysonfooter
                This is insane. h/t @MLBNetwork #Altuve

Comment

Steve Grande @AstrosGrande
                  Jose Altuve leads the AL in average, hits, OBP & steals.

Last player to lead the AL in all 4 categories at end of season: Ty Cobb in 1917.

Comment

Jordan Ray @JordanLRay
                    Carlos Correa said Altuve is the best player in baseball. #Astros
                    True dat, 2HR and 6RBI today.

Comment

Brian T. Smith @ChronBrianSmith
                      Jose Altuve in 98 games: .360 BA, 17 HR, 60 RBI, 75 R, 44 BB, 25 SB, 1.003 OPS, 139 H, 26 2B. #Astros

Comment

Brian McTaggart @brianmctaggart
                        Atuve batting averages on the road:
                        Season: .429
                        Since May 1: .493
                        Since June 8: .522
                        Since June 25: .567

Comment

Richard Justice ‏@richardjustice Aug 11-13
                          More Altuve: Last AL players to lead the league in batting average, hits and OBP was Wade Boggs in 1985. @Astros

Jose Altuve leads AL in BA (.363), hits (165) & OBP (.428). He's 2nd in total bases (259), OPS (.999), WAR (6.9), slugging (.570). @Astros

Jose Altuve has reached base in 42 straight road games since April 30. @Astros single-season record is 51 by Jeff Bagwell in 1999.

Jose Altuve hitting .556 on road this month. George Springer (.474), Evan Gattis (.412) and Carlos Correa (.381) also hot. @Astros

Jose Altuve hitting .450 since All-Star Break as he cruises toward 2nd batting title in 3 years. So great numbers lose impact. @astros

Jose Altuve is hitting .429 on the road. That's 62 points higher than any other player. @Astros

Comment

Altuve fastest in Astros history to 1,000 career hits

MLB.com
                            HOUSTON -- Jose Altuve made history on Tuesday night against the Cardinals, notching his 1,000th career hit with a single in the bottom of the ninth in the Astros' 8-5 loss to St. Louis. It was Altuve's third hit of the night after he'd notched singles in two of his first three at-bats.
                            "I'm so proud of that guy," Astros manager A.J. Hinch said. "He continues to be exceptional, and to have that moment where, in front of our home crowd, he can get his 1,000th hit in a very short time in his career is a real highlight in my career."

Houston's All-Star second baseman reached the milestone in 786 games, making him the fastest player to 1,000 in franchise history and the second fastest among active Major Leaguers behind Ichiro Suzuki, who did it in his 696th game.

"I feel right now like I don't want to stop," Altuve said. "I want to keep getting better and help my team, and I'm not going to be [satisfied] until I take my team to the World Series."

At 26 years and 102 days old, Altuve reached 1,000 hits at a younger age than all but eight of the 30 members of the 3,000 hit club. The eight who were younger than Altuve at the time of their 1,000th hit are Ty Cobb, Al Kaline, Alex Rodriguez, Robin Yount, Hank Aaron, Tris Speaker, George Brett and Derek Jeter.

After reaching first base following the hit, Altuve took a moment to acknowledge the fans and thank them for supporting him throughout his career.

"All the games it took for me to get my 1,000th hit, they were here for me, pushing me, encouraging me," he said, "and I have to [say thank you] for everything that the fans, my teammates and everybody has done for me."

For context, Altuve reached 1,000 hits in 45 fewer games than Pete Rose, who ultimately finished his career with 4,256. Altuve also reached the milestone in 103 fewer games than the second-fastest in Astros history, Cesar Cedeno, who notched his 1,000th hit in 889 games.

It's more of the same during a historic season from Altuve. Entering Tuesday he led the American League in batting average (.362), hits (167) and OBP (.427) while ranking second in total bases (264), OPS (1.000), WAR (6.9) and slugging percentage (.573).

"I hope the people that are here and the people around him and the people that get to watch him daily appreciate what he does and how he does it," Hinch said. "We're scratching the surface on what's possible."

Rookie Alex Bregman -- who achieved a milestone of his own earlier in the game with his first Major League homer -- said that what impresses him the most about Altuve is how hard he works despite all the success.

"The coolest thing about it is he's the youngest to get to 1,000 hits in Astros history and he's not satisfied," Bregman said. "He's trying to get better every single day. He's constantly just working, working, working.

"He's pretty spectacular. He's got to be the best player in baseball."

Comment

That chart is EPIC! the guy hits it everywhere! Interesting enough, look at the BLACK dots, his triples.....all OPO, minus one.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X