No announcement yet.

2014 FIFA World Cup Draw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost the game but it was good enough to advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Kal El View Post
      Lost the game but it was good enough to advance!
      I thought we had to win or tie?

"Soccer is a one possession game" - Max

Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
      TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post
        I thought we had to win or tie?

"Soccer is a one possession game" - Max

A win or tie would have secured it, a loss and we would have to rely on goal differentials. It's interesting how they do it in soccer.

Comment

A win or tie would have secured it, a loss and we would have to rely on goal differentials. It's interesting how they do it in soccer.
          I wouldn't have used the word 'interesting' but yes I hear that.

If we were in the playoffs, and had to play 3 games, and lost one and tied one and still advanced, I would say, "huh?"
          Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
          TexansCap.com

Comment

Well that ends our run. U.S. had a pretty good one. Defense was pretty solid, especially Tim Howard with 16 saves. Our goalie was a beast. We just needed more help offensively.

Maybe it inspired more kids in America to try soccer lol. We definitely have the athletes but they don't go for soccer.

Comment

Well that ends our run. U.S. had a pretty good one. Defense was pretty solid, especially Tim Howard with 16 saves. Our goalie was a beast. We just needed more help offensively.

Maybe it inspired more kids in America to try soccer lol. We definitely have the athletes but they don't go for soccer.
              I thought we were dominated. We were lucky to even make it to overtime as many defensive breakdowns I saw out there. Belgium is way better team. It was fun watching and I thought we did good to get that one goal with the kid and make it interesting and the greasy haired polish guy had a great chance to tie it up. Name sounded polish. Anyway, I enjoyed watching. They really need to cut down on the biting and fake injurys and extra time and straighten out the rules so these tournaments don't end up being decided in stoppage time. Hockey never changed their rules except for the 2 line pass one that I proposed. I doubt soccer will try to appease Americans and fix the odd ball rules so it makes more sense.
              I thought the goalie could have used his hands more but must admit that he was able one way or another to stop shot after shot at point blank range.
              The bald guy seemed to be a turnover machine. Not sure why he is on the team. I guess he had that one crucial assist but the multiple mistakes he made were really disappointing.

I though the black guy played excellent. Clint was really good. And the right forward I thought was awesome delivering cross after cross but no one was there to take advantage.

Overall I thought we did good but it is obvious that we are no match for the top teams. Let's face it, we only won 1 out of 4. That's not very good. Soccer has been growing and as you say, when it starts to become profitable for guys to play seriously like they do for more American sports, we will be better. Just a matter of time. We can see that we are getting there but just not quite ready for the real teams with guys who have been playing seriously since they were kids. We have maybe 3 really good guys and the top teams, the whole team is filled with excellent talent.

Anyway, I was proud of the guys. They played hard and gave every team they played a good run.
              TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post
                I thought we were dominated. We were lucky to even make it to overtime as many defensive breakdowns I saw out there. Belgium is way better team. It was fun watching and I thought we did good to get that one goal with the kid and make it interesting and the greasy haired polish guy had a great chance to tie it up. Name sounded polish. Anyway, I enjoyed watching. They really need to cut down on the biting and fake injurys and extra time and straighten out the rules so these tournaments don't end up being decided in stoppage time. Hockey never changed their rules except for the 2 line pass one that I proposed. I doubt soccer will try to appease Americans and fix the odd ball rules so it makes more sense.
                I thought the goalie could have used his hands more but must admit that he was able one way or another to stop shot after shot at point blank range.
                The bald guy seemed to be a turnover machine. Not sure why he is on the team. I guess he had that one crucial assist but the multiple mistakes he made were really disappointing.

I though the black guy played excellent. Clint was really good. And the right forward I thought was awesome delivering cross after cross but no one was there to take advantage.

Overall I thought we did good but it is obvious that we are no match for the top teams. Let's face it, we only won 1 out of 4. That's not very good. Soccer has been growing and as you say, when it starts to become profitable for guys to play seriously like they do for more American sports, we will be better. Just a matter of time. We can see that we are getting there but just not quite ready for the real teams with guys who have been playing seriously since they were kids. We have maybe 3 really good guys and the top teams, the whole team is filled with excellent talent.

Anyway, I was proud of the guys. They played hard and gave every team they played a good run.
                I agree, it was clear that they were the better team. They had a problem finishing. But as much defensive breakdowns as we have, I think our teams showed a lot of heart and grit. They had constant pressure on our side of the field and for the most part the team was able to defend. Their 2 scores came from 1 on 1 type situations on a breakaway.

You are right in the fact that we still have some ways to go to be legitimate threats. But I think soccer in the US is headed in the right direction.

One thing I noticed against Belgium was that outside of individual and team skill, they just seemed bigger, stronger, and faster. U.S. athletes in general have some physical freaks but they just aren't in soccer. I'll compare it to our olympic basketball team. In 2004 when we didn't have our best players on the squad, we struggled and got bronze I think. But in recent years when we have our real team that represents our best, we dominate. As you said, once soccer becomes more profitable, we can expect to be more competitive.

On last thing, I agree on the rules. I thought basketball players were floppers but they have nothing on soccer players. Terrible. They should polish things up a bit.

Comment

Chivas v A.C. Milan 8-6-14 NRG Stadium

In wrong place, sorry.
                  Last edited by fasteddie; 08-05-2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X