Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockets' James Harden agrees to largest contract extension in NBA history

Rockets' James Harden agrees to largest contract extension in NBA history

With James Harden the center of all the Rockets' hopes and plans, they made sure that will not change any time in the foreseeable future.

As expected for weeks, the Rockets signed Harden to a full designated player veteran extension on Saturday, an agreement that keeps him under contract for six years in a deal worth roughly $228 million (pending future salary cap figures.)

"Since he arrived in Houston, James has exhibited the incredible work ethic, desire to win, and passion to be the best that has made him one of the most unique and talented superstars in the history of the game," Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said in a statement. "Additionally, the commitment he has shown to our organization, the City of Houston, and Rockets fans all over the world makes him a perfect leader in our pursuit of another championship. I'm very happy for James, his mother Monja, and their family on this exciting day."

The Rockets had made signing Harden to a contract extension for a second-consecutive season a key to their planned recruiting pitches to free agents, a person with knowledge of the team's thinking said last month. But the team was able to trade for Chris Paul when after talks with Harden he told the Clippers he would sign as a free agent, anyway. That did not change the team's plans with the player Alexander said "was by far the Most Valuable Player."

For the second time in three seasons, Harden was second in the MVP voting despite getting career highs in points, rebounds and assists for a second-consecutive season. He was the NBA's only unanimous first-team All-NBA selection.

"Houston is home for me," said Harden. "Mr. Alexander has shown he is fully committed to winning and my teammates and I are going to keep putting in the work to get better and compete for the title."

The 56.2 points the Rockets averaged per game off guard James Harden's scoring and assists were the second most in NBA history.Photo: Jon Shapley, Staff

Harden, 27, led the NBA in assists, averaging 11.2 per game. He was second in scoring, averaging 29.1 points. He had career bests in points, assists and rebounds (8.1) for a third consecutive season.

The 56.2 points the Rockets averaged per game off Harden's scoring and assists were the second most in NBA history. He became the only player in NBA history to get at least 2,000 points, 900 assists and 600 rebounds in the same season. He joined Oscar Robertson as the only players to average at least 29 points, 11 assists and eight rebounds in a season.

Harden had two years, worth 59 million left on his previous contract. With a provision in the new collective bargaining agreement, Harden became eligible for the DPVE, worth for him an additional $169 million over four seasons.

Depending on future salary cap figures, Harden could be paid close to $47 million in the final season of his contract, 2022-23.
    If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Sorry, but I think in 2 years, Rockets fans will be saying "Please, Princess Harden, stop jumping into people to manufacture free throws and leave us. Take Paul and go keep another team from getting to the Western Conference Finals."

Comment

I think this will go down beyond history. Most people I know in Dallas, Lone Oak are already addicted to NBA playoffs. This is also a big contribution to the young people to pursue their dreams and serve as a inspiration except with those dirty way during games.

Comment

Working...
      X