University of Texas Football

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Texas Football

With Texas Expected To Move On From Charlie Strong, Stage Is Set For Robust Turn On Coaching Carousel BY PETE THAMEL
    03 OCTOBER 2016
    One month ago, Texas players carried Charlie Strong off the field after a double-overtime victory against Notre Dame. The upset kicked off Strong's third season in Austin with a signature win and appeared to secure his future with the Longhorns.

A month later, Strong finds himself in a perilous situation for his future at Texas. A high-ranking Texas official said on Sunday night that Strong is "very close" to losing his job at the end of the season after back-to-back road losses to Cal and Oklahoma State. The official said that there will be no move made during the year on Strong. Part of that comes from the fact that there's no logical candidate on the staff to take over the program. Strong announced Monday that defensive coordinator Vance Bedford has been demoted after the Longhorns gave up 99 points the past two games. Strong will take over play calling duties.

Strong is 13–16 overall in his third year in Austin. Texas officials are pleased with how he's recruited and overhauled the program's talent and culture in the wake of the lack of talent and discipline left behind at the end of Mack Brown's tenure. But there are too many details in game management and special teams that the Longhorns have struggled with. Texas getting three extra points blocked in the first half at Oklahoma State on Saturday perpetuated the notion that the Longhorns have failed to pay attention to detail under Strong. STAPLES: When to pull the plug: Texas, Oregon face hard choices with flailing programs

With Strong expected to be gone at the end of this season, the stage is set for one of the most robust coaching carousels in the past decade. There's an expectation that jobs could open at Texas, Auburn, USC and Oregon to join the opening at LSU. (There's still a chance Penn State could move on James Franklin, but athletic director Sandy Barbour made definitive statements to the Altoona Mirror this week that Franklin "is not on the hot seat" and "is going to be our football coach.")

The prospect of five major job openings presents a fascinating next two months in college football. The most puzzling question on the landscape will be who could fill all the high-profile jobs, as there appears to be a lack of candidates qualified to fill positions of that caliber. "There's not five coaches out there that are good enough to fill those jobs with the expectations those schools are going to have," said an industry source.

Here are questions looming over the coaching carousel: Is Texas or LSU a better job?

Texas is expected to target Houston coach Tom Herman as its top choice. LSU is expected to target both Herman and Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher. If Herman ends up as the top target for both, it will be fascinating to see which one he chooses. Herman is a former graduate assistant at Texas and has much stronger ties there as opposed to Louisiana. (Herman's coaching path went through Sam Houston State, Texas State and Rice.) There are strong arguments for each program, but Herman's experience in the state of Texas and his having spent time at the school would appear to give UT an edge. That's by no means definitive, as there are many variables and positives and negatives at each place.

While both have great tradition and recent national championships, neither is a paragon of stability. When top-tier coaches evaluate where they want to work, they want stable leadership overseeing them. STAPLES: Hot Seat Watch: Who could be next coach on chopping block?

LSU failed to fire Les Miles last year, despite making an attempt at it, when it was obvious the school should have. Joe Alleva is seen as one of the weaker athletic directors in the SEC, and his future at the school isn't certain in the long term.

Texas has been an administrative mess for years, and there's no immediate end in sight. Athletic director Mike Perrin is a bright man and an accomplished lawyer. But he has no practical athletic department experience and is overmatched in his current job. With Perrin acting as a placeholder, there's been a mad scramble for power under him, which has caused administrative upheaval and congestion that's made it a difficult working environment for coaches. Instead of athletic department employees focused on helping coaches win, there's a feeling at Texas that they are more concerned about their own power.

As Texas prepares for another coaching search, it will be interesting to see whether it makes another run at Oliver Luck, the former West Virginia athletic director who is now a top NCAA official. When Texas hired Steve Patterson in 2013, it had targeted Luck but ended up switching course at the 11th hour. Patterson didn't last two years, a rocky tenure undone by his own mistakes and just how antiquated the athletic department was when he arrived. (An interesting nugget is that Herman has a relationship with Luck from his days at offensive coordinator at Rice when Herman recruited his son, Andrew, to the Owls.) THAMEL: Coaching carousel breakdown: Which coaches could be in line to take new jobs?

Both schools are in talent-rich states, but the recruiting edge may go slightly to LSU, only because there's no in-state competition for the best players. Texas can still recruit pretty much whoever it wants, but Texas A&M has emerged as a recruiting juggernaut under Kevin Sumlin. There's much more in-state competition with Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech.

The biggest edge for Texas is that it presents the easier path to the College Football Playoff. (Not having to beat Nick Saban may be the biggest advantage of the job, along with avoiding the rough-and-tumble SEC West.) But being in the Big 12 also means dealing with Big 12 drama. That league's recent history of dysfunction reads like an article from The Onion. Where do the coaching dominos fall from there?

Let's say for the sake of hypotheticals that Herman goes to Texas and Fisher goes to LSU. That leaves expected openings at Auburn, USC and Oregon. Who would get those jobs? There's no easy answers there. One thing to keep in mind is that most coaching searches are conducted covertly in October and November before the current coach gets fired. This makes the next few months especially intriguing, as there aren't a lot of obvious candidates for high-profile jobs. (And if Fisher stays at Florida State and LSU remains in the market, that further complicates the landscape.)

Auburn: Gus Malzahn is 3–10 in his last 13 SEC games and has lost six of his past seven SEC games at home. It's not a guarantee Auburn fires Malzahn, but it remains an expectation in the industry. The longer one examines the coaching market this year, the easier it is to see former Baylor coach Art Briles getting back in the mix. Auburn is the type of school that could hire Briles, as its administrators want to win bad enough that they'd endure the tidal wave of bad publicity. Another strong name at Auburn is North Carolina coach Larry Fedora, who has SEC experience from three seasons as a Florida assistant and has built a strong program under difficult conditions at UNC.

Auburn faces a unique problem in that it needs to find a coach who can figure out how to build a better program than Alabama's Nick Saban. Good luck.

Oregon: A blowout loss to Washington State feels like the tipping point for Mark Helfrich. It certainly doesn't help matters that Washington is showing signs of burgeoning dominance in the Pac-12 North. The defense is still porous under new coordinator Brady Hoke. The two-point conversion strategy against Nebraska was embarrassing. And, most importantly, the once mystical Ducks offense has become pedestrian. There are so few obvious coaches out West that it's hard to come up with a list for Oregon. Chip Kelly would be its first and obvious target. After that, it's tricky to compile names. (The guess here is that Chris Petersen isn't going to leave what he's building at Washington, even for a Phil Knight blank check.) Would Fedora leave his geographic comfort zone? Would Boise's Bryan Harsin get a peek? UCF's Scott Frost, a former Duck assistant, probably isn't ready yet. This job stands out most when pondering the lack of obvious available names.

USC: As USC tries recapture its glory by hiring people with ties to USC, the glory slips further way. USC continued this vicious cycle by promoting Clay Helton last year. While it's not a certainty the school will fire Helton, it would be a surprise if it didn't at this point. There's little evidence he can lead USC back to the top echelon of college football. The tenor of losses to Alabama and Stanford offered little in the form of hope, and the squandered lead at Utah was disheartening. At 2–3, a drastic turnaround is needed.

Here's another issue for the Trojans: There's little evidence that new athletic director Lynn Swann and school administrators can hire a coach capable of reviving the school's glory days. USC's unwavering faith in USC keeps undermining the school. There's no obvious favorites for this job, as names like Kelly, Ohio State assistant Greg Schiano (he interviewed last year) and Utah coach Kyle Whittingham would emerge.

No easy answers here, either. Which smaller-school coaches could emerge?

One of the interesting trends last year was that established schools like Georgia and USC hired assistant coaches. Helton's faceplant at USC and Kirby Smart's early struggles at Georgia may steer athletic directors away from that direction. It's a big leap, especially at the highest levels.

After Herman, the next best head coach in the Group of Five ranks are Harsin at Boise State, P.J. Fleck at Western Michigan and Jeff Brohm at Western Kentucky. Are any of them ready to make the jump?

Harsin capped a sparkling 12–2 season in 2014 with a Fiesta Bowl victory. Boise struggled by Boise standards by going 9–4 last year. With victories over Washington State and Oregon State already this season, the Broncos appear to have regained their dominance. Harsin will be patient, as he's a Boise native and graduate and has the best job in that league. He can afford to be picky. THAMEL: Which current assistants are poised to get head coaching jobs?

Fleck has turned Western Michigan from one of the worst jobs in college football to a top-25 team. The program earned its first-ever national ranking this week, coming in at No. 25 in the Amway Coaches Poll. Western received it after winning at Northwestern and Illinois earlier this season and blowing out MAC rival Central Michigan this weekend. Fleck's pitch will be as someone who can bring a culture change, as his high energy and relentlessly positive style have transformed the school. Fleck turned down interest from several Power Five schools last year, and he appears poised to make a leap this year.

Brohm is 23–9 in three seasons at Western Kentucky. He's also in no rush to leave, as he's yet to hire an agent and turned down opportunities to speak with schools last year so he could focus on the Conference USA title game. Brohm has plenty of money from a long NFL playing career and is a Kentucky native, so he's willing to be patient. His offensive acumen and seamless transition to becoming a head coach make him attractive.

Who else from there? South Florida's Willie Taggart could make a move with another strong season. Matt Wells at Utah State is still highly regarded out West. Temple's Matt Rhule is the top young coach in the Northeast, but no job of significance may open up in that footprint. Memphis's Mike Norvell has acclimated to head coaching quickly. Scott Satterfield at Appalachian State is well regarded in coaching circles.

Somebody in the know said Herman will not go to LSU. It's been said that he will crawl through broken glass to austin. And of course OSU. USC is also a top destination for him to. If houston gets in the big 12, or even makes it to the playoff. I don't see him leaving at all. It'll be hard to leave a team that makes it all the way, and if we make it to the big 12, he'll be making more than Saban. We have big money donors, contrary to popular belief, namely Titilla, so we can offer the money. He loves the city, I think it will take a very strong offer for him to leave. He wants to build up Houston like Coker did to the U. Plus he's in one of the largest cities in the nation with a powerful recruiting base. He's already out recruiting big time schools, so I don't see what else he could want, besides a bigger platform, but that will come.

Comment

Move The Sticks notes: Strong has UT loaded with young talent

Soobum Im/USA TODAY Sports
      But first, we kick off this week's notebook with Jeremiah's take on Texas coach Charlie Strong and the talent he has assembled at UT:

There were reports this week that Texas coach Charlie Strong's job is in jeopardy. I know he hasn't produced the desired win total in his two-plus years on the job (13-16 record), but I believe dismissing him would be a mistake. I spoke to an NFL scouting executive about the Texas program and he had an interesting observation.

"I just went through Texas on a visit and they have the best-looking group of young players in the country," he said. "It would be a shame to see them take that job away from Charlie just as that team is ready to win big."

I went to the Notre Dame-Texas game in Week 1 and I came away really impressed by the young collection of talent Strong has recruited to Austin, Texas. They have studs at some key positions: QB (Shane Buechele), RB (D'Onta Foreman, Chris Warren III), OT (Connor Williams) and LB (Malik Jefferson). They also have a lot of young talent at cornerback in Davante Davis, Holton Hill and Kris Boyd (a stud special-teams player). With the exception of Foreman (a junior) none of those players will be able to enter the draft until 2018, at the earliest, so there will be plenty of intriguing talent returning for the Longhorns.

This team is one year away from really taking off. -- Daniel Jeremiah

Comment

Media is all over the place on Charlie Strong and Texas, from who'd want to coach in that sick environment to a top job in the country to Strong is being unfairly treated to Strong is horrible and must go now. I don't recall so much division, national hue and cry about UT ever. Too many egos spoiling the soup.

Comment

Some thoughts on Charlie Strong and his future at Texas

It’s been nearly two years since I got on board at Burnt Orange Nation and for the most part, I’ve tried to keep content as objective as possible. I’d like to think I’ve done a good job of that.

But at a time when everybody has an opinion regarding Charlie Strong’s future in Austin—some knowledgeable and others, not so much—I’d like to share mine.

For starters, I really want to see Strong succeed at Texas and I don’t think it’s too late for that to happen. Strong has seen more than his share of struggles at Texas, whether it be his record in various situations, his coaching staff turnover, etc. Some of those coaches clearly weren’t cut out for success at what would prove to be a total rebuild in Austin at a time where teams that weren’t very good when I was growing up, such as Baylor and TCU, were becoming national powers.

Inheriting a dysfunctional and entitled locker room that led to numerous dismissals and a horrendous quarterback situation didn’t make his rebuilding task any easier.

It seems Strong has finally found some keepers on his coaching staff, though that seems to be on the offensive side of the ball. But that’s still progress considering how poor Texas’ offense had been since Strong’s arrival. The defense has been to blame for people now calling for Strong’s job, and understandably so—it has been historically bad recently. As a coach that built his name with elite defenses at Florida at Louisville, I get why people expect much more—I expect much more.

Whether it be missed tackles, blown coverages or just getting overpowered at the line of scrimmage, the defense has been pretty embarrassing all around. But let’s be realistic—Texas has lined up across two top 10 offenses in California and Oklahoma State, both on the road, and the preseason No. 3 team in Oklahoma with 29 freshmen and sophomores in the two-deep. Additionally, in each loss, a secondary still trying to find itself has had to deal with a future NFL talent at wide receiver.

While saying certain situations could have changed the outcome ultimately don’t matter in the big picture, that proves to be the case for Texas. For example, consider the Vic Enwere fumble just before crossing the goal line during the Cal game—if the ball had been awarded to Texas, as it probably should have, the offense still had a chance to tie the game. Against Oklahoma, if a bounce or two on the late Sooner fumbles had gone the Longhorns way, Texas would have had more time to operate and could have went in for the game winning score. Obviously, neither worked on in Texas’ favor, but the ‘Horns are only a few small details from possibly being 4-1.

Many of those small details throughout the game come down to execution issues, largely due to youth struggling to grasp what was a fairly complex Bedford defense.

To an extent, you can argue that there’s a point when youth can’t be the excuse, but for an extremely young defense with 16 freshmen and sophomores in the two-deep facing elite offenses, inexperience does play a factor. I can’t help but think of my freshmen football team at Wagner High School in San Antonio here … we were loaded with young talent and several players went on to play football at the college level, but would we have been able to compete if we were thrown into the fire at the 6A varsity level against some of the state’s top offenses? Unlikely.

For Texas’ defense, the only offseason departure should be senior safety Dylan Haines and with some more experience and another offseason of physical maturation under their belts, we should see Brandon Jones DeShon Elliott as the starting safeties in 2017. The corners, who are primarily sophomores and freshmen, can certainly benefit from an offseason under a more qualified secondary coach and a shot of some much-needed confidence, and the front six or seven—whatever Texas runs next year—should be much more experienced and physically imposing.

Malik Jefferson and Anthony Wheeler will likely be the Big 12’s top linebacking duo and with a more experienced Breckyn Hager and Malcolm Roach coming off the edge could be dangerous.

It’s practically impossible for the defense to get any worse and if Strong survives after this season, it’s hard to imagine his offseason priority wouldn’t be bringing the defense up to his standard since the offense could be among the nation’s best in 2017. If Strong is allowed one more season to right the ship, I’m sure he’ll be extending some lengthy offers to some top defensive coordinators that he can realistically get to Texas.

I’d like to believe Strong is a much more knowledgeable sports and defensive mind that myself and most that say he needs to be fired. He’s well aware of the defensive issues he’s dealing with and considering his resume prior to Texas, I think he would get the defense back up to par if given the time.

The players love Strong and seem to make it a point to place blame on themselves and not the coaching staff. To me, that speaks volumes. Just check this Tweet from Brandon Jones.
          No matter what is said this man right here is something special.pic.twitter.com/NxHysjNMrX

— Brandon Jones (@BlessedJones33) October 9, 2016
          That same kind of support and love from his players was evident last season when they lifted Strong on their shoulders after beating Oklahoma and doing the same after beating Notre Dame to open the season.
          Texas (No. 11) is ranked for the 1st time under Charlie Strong after taking down No. 10 Notre Dame in Week 1. https://t.co/ETBGX4vb8V

— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) September 6, 2016
          Yes, coaching is a part of the issue, but at the end of the day, it’s the players that are out there when the game starts, not Strong, or Bedford or any other coach. So while it is up to the coaches to assure the players are capable of making tackles, I have a hard time believing it’s primarily on the coaches when most of the guys on the defense are former high school All-Americans and high-level recruits from defenses where they were obviously standouts.

Whether it’s on social media or during press conferences, the players have come to Strong’s defense when people start calling for his job to an extent you hardly see at other programs. It’s pretty clear this team wants to find its success and wants to do it under Strong.

With another season, I believe this team would turn the corner under Strong, but patience certainly isn’t Texas’ strongest quality and unfortunately, another coach may be inheriting a team loaded with talent that came to Austin to turn Texas around under Strong.

When people talk a coaching change at Texas, the name that has been coming up as Strong’s potential replacement since last season has been Tom Herman. It’s not hard to see why ... Houston had won 18 of its last 19 games under Herman and had legitimate hopes of the College Football Playoff prior to Saturday’s loss to Navy.

Many consider Herman to be the next great Power Five coach, which is exactly why many expect him to take his talents to either Texas, LSU, USC or Oregon after the 2016 season. Herman is doing what Strong did at Louisville before coming to Texas, so yeah, there’s a lot to like about what he could become in Austin if given the opportunity.

But does everyone like Herman so much just because he’s having success at a non-Power Five school while Strong struggles through a rebuild in Austin?

I’m not taking anything away from the guy—he has some serious coaching chops and is a **** good recruiter, too, considering he’s getting guys to come to Houston over Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. But Strong’s resume during his final two seasons at Louisville were strikingly replicable with a 23-3 record, a Sugar Bowl victory over No. 3 Florida and a 12-1 season only tarnished by a three-point loss to UCF midway through the season.

As a whole, we’re calling for Strong’s job when the leading candidate to replace him has pretty much done what Strong did during his final two seasons at Louisville, only Herman is doing in in-state at Houston.

Herman has beaten four-straight ranked teams at Houston, including Oklahoma in the season opener. Strong had done the same thing dating back to last season Red River Showdown victory prior to the one-possession loss on Saturday. But while Strong has been tasked with slowing down historically potent Big 12 offenses with tremendous youth at Texas, Herman has been demolishing sub-par, American Athletic Conference competition.

Who knows? Maybe Herman is the coach Texas needs to restore its place as a national power. I’m just not ready to say Strong is incapable of doing the same thing and if given another season, I think he would do just that. But if the decision makers at Texas decided his time is up, Herman would be taking over a program in a considerably better place than the one Strong was handed after the Mack Brown era.

Does everybody really want Herman that bad, or do they just not want Strong while he’s losing? It’s also worth considering, if Herman comes over, that likely means his coaching staff follows and Sterlin Gilbert after turning the Texas offense around.

While we all want the same thing—to see Texas finally start winning at the rate it did during the 2000s, to me, it would be unfortunate if Strong was fired a season to early and Herman—if he even came to Texas because there is reason why he may want to avoid the job—reaped what Strong sowed through recruiting and providing young talent with experience.

There’s still plenty of football to be played and considering a seven or eight-win season, which is what many said would be the standard, is still possible with each game remaining being winnable, I think we’re collectively getting ahead of ourselves.

If Strong manages only two or three more wins with two being over Iowa State (1-5) and Kansas (1-4), then we have a much different conversation at the end of the season. But four of Texas’ seven remaining games are at home, including the two meeting with ranked opponents in Baylor and West Virginia. Let’s give Charlie Strong an opportunity to finish what he started, at least this season, before calling for his head and assuming everything will automatically be back to the way it used to be if Strong is out and Herman is in.

Comment

Texas getting 'extreme pressure' from boosters to hire Tom Herman

Brett McMurphyESPN
            Texas' administration is receiving "extreme pressure" from prominent boosters to dismiss Charlie Strong and hire Houston coach Tom Herman, sources told ESPN.

Earlier this week, Strong's job was considered safe if the Longhorns (5-5) won out against Kansas and TCU. However, that all changed when Houston upset No. 5 Louisville Thursday, sources said.

That was because in October the lure of Herman, always considered Texas' No. 1 target, had dulled with losses to Navy and SMU and near losses to Tulsa and UCF. The SMU loss was extremely troubling to UT's boosters because it was to a perceived "lesser school" in the state, sources said.

That all changed with Herman improving to 22-3 at Houston by dominating Louisville.

After that win, the bidding war for Herman is expected to start "at a minimum of $5.5 million," an industry source said.

Herman is considered among the leading candidates at Texas and LSU, if Jimbo Fisher remains at Florida State, as well as Oregon, if the Ducks fire Mark Helfrich, sources said. Herman also would be a top target of Florida State, if Fisher left for LSU, a source said.

Another concern of Texas' top boosters is the possibility Texas A&M decides to part ways with Kevin Sumlin for the opportunity to grab Herman, sources said.

"Herman was dead in the water (with Texas) when he lost to SMU (Oct. 22)," a source said. "And now he's hotter than ever."

Herman was Ohio State's offensive coordinator before being named Houston's coach. He's won 22 of 25 games, including all five contests as an underdog against Oklahoma and Louisville this season and Louisville, Navy and Florida State in 2015.

Texas president Greg Fenves and athletic director Mike Perrin have been consistent and very outspoken about their support of Strong. In October, sources told ESPN Strong would not be fired in-season and be allowed to complete the season.

If Strong, who is in the third year of a five-year deal, is fired, he would receive a $10 million buyout.

This is getting some traction today, but I'm not seeing how anything is different than before.

Comment

Longhorns lose to formerly 1 win Kansas in OT.

Comment

TEXAS OFFICIALS HAVE DECIDED TO FIRE CHARLIE STRONG

Source: “It will happen for sure. The question is when.”
                Brian Davis and Kirk Bohls American-Statesman Staff
                Posted November 20th, 2016 UPDATED 6:35 p.m. Sunday
                University of Texas officials have decided to fire football coach Charlie Strong, however the official announcement may not come until Monday, a high-ranking university source told the American-Statesman.

The decision comes after Saturday’s shocking 24-21 overtime loss to Kansas, a team that had lost 19 straight Big 12 games.

“It will happen for sure. The question is when,” the source said.

However, Texas athletic director Mike Perrin issued a statement about 6:30 p.m. Sunday saying there were “rumors out there” about Strong’s status.

“I’ve said it all along, we will evaluate the body of work after the regular season,” Perrin said in a statement. “We have a game to get ready for against TCU on Friday, and I hope our fans will come out and support our team. We’ll discuss where things stand after that.”

Perrin refused to comment about Strong’s situation after the Kansas State loss on Oct. 22. “No talking,” he said. Then, Perrin declined to comment when approached by reporters after Saturday’s loss in Lawrence.

Strong is 16-20 in three seasons with the Longhorns and may become the first coach to oversee three consecutive losing seasons since 1936-38. He currently has the lowest winning percentage of any coach in UT football history and is 5-10 against ranked opponents in three years.

Strong is scheduled to meet reporters at his weekly press conference at 11 a.m. Monday as Texas (5-6, 3-5 Big 12) prepares for its regular season finale against TCU. A source told the Statesman that Strong is expected to coach against the Horned Frogs.

Texas President Gregory L. Fenves could not be reached on Sunday and did not respond to text messages from the Statesman.

Asked when an official announcement could come, “Perhaps in the morning,” the source said. Strong has two years remaining on a guaranteed contract worth $10.7 million.

Two athletic department sources said the coaching staff was busy Sunday preparing for Friday’s game. “We are getting ready for TCU,” one source said.

Asked if Strong has been told, the high-ranking university source said, “He knows what is coming.”

Strong appeared to know the end was near after Saturday’s loss. In a somber four-minute press conference, Strong’s voice almost cracked when he was asked what the loss means for his status. “No idea,” he said.

Strong’s wife, Vicki, was holding back tears in the cramped media room inside Memorial Stadium. Men’s athletic director Mike Perrin declined to speak to reporters afterward.

Several players, including defensive lineman Poona Ford and Charles Omenihu, were seen collapsing on the field. Some players were crying in the locker room afterward.

“What you do is go hug ’em and look ’em in the eye, tell ’em to keep battling,” offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert said during the post-game press conference.

UT officials are expected to target Houston coach Tom Herman as a possible replacement. According to Houston sources and those familiar with the coach’s thinking, Herman would have “strong interest” in the position.

Comment

How does the media handle this possibility? Herman signs with UT and next season the Cougars are invited to join the BIG 12. Maybe they bring Kevin Sumlin back to Houston where he had his biggest success. Or, how does the media and CFB handle it if UH ponies up a nice raise and throws in a bonus to keep Herman? If this were to happen, what effect would that announcement have on UH recruiting for 2017? There could be some strong names on their list who just might be waiting for some kind of announcement from the Cougars and Herman before they make their final decisions.

Comment

Source: Texas players threaten boycott of TCU game

Kirk Bohls American-Statesman Staff
                    Amidst the swirl of speculation about Charlie Strong’s future and reports that the Texas head football coach would be fired this week, several Longhorn players are considering boycotting this week’s regular-season finale against TCU, according to a source close to the Texas football program. Upperclassmen on the team are intervening and trying to calm the waters according to the source.
                    “Some of the team is threatening to boycott the TCU game,” the source said. “Older players are trying to settle things down.”

The American-Statesman reported on Sunday that the Texas administration had reached a decision to fire Strong after the 24-21 overtime loss to Kansas on Saturday but that school president Gregory L. Fenves didn’t want to conclude his evaluation and make public any announcement until after the final game.

On this morning’s Big 12 conference call with media members, Charlie Strong said he’d address his future at his regularly scheduled Monday press conference at 11 a.m..

Texas meets TCU at Royal-Memorial Stadium on Friday afternoon.

Source: Longhorn fans threaten to do the same.

Comment

SportsCenter @SportsCenter
                      "I've been told... after TCU game, a decision will be made." Charlie Strong on reports he will be fired.

"Next year, I want to come back"

Texas players here at the press conference to support Charlie Strong

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post
                      How does the media handle this possibility? Herman signs with UT and next season the Cougars are invited to join the BIG 12. Maybe they bring Kevin Sumlin back to Houston where he had his biggest success...
                      It would be drummed up as an instantly huge rivalry, I'd think.

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post
                      Or, how does the media and CFB handle it if UH ponies up a nice raise and throws in a bonus to keep Herman? If this were to happen, what effect would that announcement have on UH recruiting for 2017? There could be some strong names on their list who just might be waiting for some kind of announcement from the Cougars and Herman before they make their final decisions.
                      UH recruiting is likely at its highest right now with Herman. Him committing longer term would solidify that.

Fertitta is worth ~$3 billion... I doubt he gets out-bid.
                      Last edited by H2O4me; 11-21-2016, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Chip Brown @ChipBrownHD
                        #Texas has made it official the school is parting ways with FB coach Charlie Strong.

University of Texas and Charlie Strong part ways

After three seasons and a 16-21 record, Strong dismissed at Texas.
                        Nov. 26, 2016 Football

After three seasons at Texas, Charlie Strong has been let go as the head football coach, Longhorns Men's Athletics Director Mike Perrin said on Saturday. Strong's Longhorns finished the regular season with a 5-7 record (3-6, Big 12). He finishes his three-year career at Texas with a 16-21 record (12-15, Big 12).

Statement from Mike Perrin, Men's Athletics Director:
                        "Decisions like this are tough to make. The responsibility is not taken lightly. I became friends with Charlie Strong before becoming Athletics Director. I have the utmost personal respect for him. His impact on college athletics and student-athletes should be celebrated. Coach Strong represented The University of Texas with class and dignity, and he demanded our student-athletes do the same by adhering to his system of core values. However, after thorough evaluation, the body of work over three seasons has not shown the improvement we were hoping for. This was an important year for our program to take the next step, and the results simply aren't there, so we've decided to make a change. We appreciate Coach Strong so much, are grateful for all he has done with our program and wish him the best in the future."

Statement from Charlie Strong:
                        "It's a very difficult day for me, my family and all of the people affected by this decision. I'm most disappointed for these kids and our staff who have poured so much of their lives into this program for the last three years. I do understand that it comes down to wins and losses, and we have not done our job in that area yet. I accept full responsibility for that, but know in my heart that we accomplished our primary goal, which is the development of young men. We have had a positive impact on our campus and the community, and I'm proud of how our team is focused on earning their degrees. We were developing something really special. This program has a championship foundation built on great young men with tremendous character. There are very bright days ahead, and I'll be pulling for these kids no matter where I am. I want to thank everyone who supported me and this program for the last three years. I don't regret coming to Texas. I learned a great deal and grew as a person in my time here. I'll miss the opportunity to lead this program going forward, but I'm ready to accept my next challenge."

Comment

Heather Dinich @CFBHeather
                          I have confirmed, per a source close to the situation, that Texas will hire Houston coach Tom Herman. Release expected later today.

Comment

Kirk Bohls ‏@kbohls
                            I'm told Herman may make $5.5 million at Texas first year and would average $6M over life of contract, but still trying to confirm.

Comment

Kirk Bohls ‏@kbohls
                              Texas source confirms Herman will receive a 5-year deal for more than $5 million a year with escalators to over $6M in final year of deal.
                              Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt
                              Confirming reported 5-year $5M per salary for new Texas coach Tom Herman, tied for 7th highest FBS coaching salary w/ TAMU's Kevin Sumlin.

Comment

Working...
                              X