No announcement yet.

University of Texas Football

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas: Houston defensive line / assistant head coach Oscar Giles, tight ends / fullbacks coach Corby Meekins, cornerbacks coach / special teams coordinator Jason Washington and recruiting director Derek Chang will join Tom Herman at Texas, according to ESPN and 247Sports. The three coaches spent two years at UH, while Chang spent one year and previously worked at the Longhorn Network.

Joseph Duarte @Joseph_Duarte
    In addition, strength coach Yancy McKnight, director of operations Fernando Lovo and recruiting director Derek Chang also heading to UT

Confirmed UH coaches going to UT: DL Oscar Giles TE Corby Meekins CB/ST Jason Washington OL Derek Warehime
    Last edited by H2O4me; 11-27-2016, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Comment

Gonna miss him. Was a class act and resurrected the University of Houston and their football program. I can only imagine what he will do at Texas (as much as it pains me to say it, hate Texas, but rooting for Herman)

Comment

Houston needs to get Texas on their schedule asap. BIG12 better not extend an offer to UH after they extracted Tom Herman.

Comment

Golden: Mack Brown on Tom Herman, his old grad assistant — ‘He’s a great hire’

Tom Herman has friends in high places.

He’s going to need them to make this Texas turnaround happen in quick fashion.

One of the biggest, former Texas coach Mack Brown, didn’t have to check the internet or ask his buddies at ESPN about Texas’ latest coaching news because he got it straight from the source.

After he became the 30th head coach at Texas, Herman placed a call to the man who essentially introduced him to big-time college football. Brown was getting ready to go into the studio for his analyst gig on Saturday morning in Bristol, Conn. when the phone rang.

“I’ve got some news for you,” Herman said. “I’m the new head coach at Texas and I have a meeting at 1 with the players. I have a meeting at 1:30 with my staff then they’re going to release a statement.”

He then asked Brown a favor: Could you attend Sunday’s introductory presser?

“It’s a long way from Bristol,” Brown said.

Ever the loyalist, Brown jumped on a plane and showed up Bellmont on Sunday wearing the same black suit he wore on television Saturday.

“I didn’t have time to go home and change,” he said.

In many ways, it’s similar to the day Mack and Sally Brown were introduced to Austin nearly 20 years ago. Brown had made a successful go of things at North Carolina and was looking for his next biggest challenge when Texas came calling. Herman beat six top-25 teams at Houston and went 22-4 and in two seasons before Texas came calling.

Mack was 45 then. Herman is 41 now.

Brown calls it a great hire and said the passion we saw from Herman in room of about 200 Sunday is the same passion he displayed when he was running errands as a graduate assistant under then-Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis back in 1999 and 2000.

“We used to laugh and say, ‘Don’t tell Tom you want something unless you’re going to get it because it’s going to be right back,” Brown said.

Herman remembered as much, saying a coach asked him for 10 copies he would come back with 12.

Well, Tom, Longhorn Nation is asking for a return to the thrilling days of yesteryear when Mack had the Horns in the middle of the national title picture most every season. And if the copy paper story means anything, they would love for you to deliver in a hurry. This program hasn’t reached those dizzying heights in quite some time and a Houston-like turnaround would be more than appreciated on the Forty Acres.

As for Sunday, Herman didn’t attempt to avoid the avalanche of expectations when asked about his plans for Austin.

“We will win championships,” he said. Then later, “Winning is hard. They don’t give or hand out championship trophies.”

Charlie Strong always credited Brown with lending an ear whenever he needed advice on something but I get the feeling that Mack will be an even bigger resource for Herman, who will counts men like Urban Meyer, David Bailiff and Paul Rhoades as mentors.

No hire is a slam dunk, but Herman has a great support system that will make this climb easier than it would have been under other circumstances.

“I think it’s a great hire,” Brown said. “No. 1, he’s been at programs like this that have been successful. No. 2, he took Houston and won a bunch of games over people that had as good or maybe better talent in some cases. He’s had a time here so he understands about the place and the most important thing to me are the 23 years of recruiting the state.”

That sounds like the best letter of reference one could ever ask for from a role model. Herman told me that things went by so fast in the hiring process that he didn’t really have time this week to reach out to Brown until he made the call informing him of his new gig. He did say he has reached out to Brown numerous times over the years about numerous things, something that won’t change now that he’s about to embark on the biggest challenge of his coaching career.

He did great things at Houston, but this is Texas and a rabid fan base, which believes it’s on par with the Alabamas and Ohio States of the world, even though the program has been in the wilderness of mediocrity for seven years now.

Texas fans will hope to see an amalgamation of Herman’s mentors in his new gig: Mack’s organizational/CEO skills, Urban’s game-day management, and hopefully some championships down the road.

His days of making copies are long past.

It’s time to make some championship memories.

First step in Tom Herman's takeover of Texas: alignment

Max Olson/ESPN Staff Writer
            AUSTIN, Texas -- Mack Brown taught Tom Herman how to manage people. David Bailiff taught him how to love your players. Paul Rhoades taught him passion for your work.

What Urban Meyer taught Texas' new head coach promises to be the behind-the-scenes theme of Herman’s first offseason in Austin.

During his introductory news conference Sunday night, Herman referred to his three years working for Meyer at Ohio State as "head coaching school." The No. 1 principle he says he picked up from that education, the guiding one that helped him go 22-4 at Houston, is the concept of alignment.

The way Meyer describes it, an aligned team understands and is fully committed to the same culture, strategy and purpose. Herman says everybody involved in the program must buy into the same vision, "from your assistant coaches to your strength staff to your support staff to your training room to the academic people to the expectations."

But first, this started Friday night with Texas president Greg Fenves and athletic director Mike Perrin. They met with Herman at an undisclosed location and listened to his vision for what Texas football should be and his blueprint for getting there. They bought in.

"I think I wouldn't be standing here today if President Fenves and Mike weren't committed to aligning every part of our athletic department with what we believe is a championship formula," Herman said. "I thank them for that, for committing to being aligned with our plan."

Herman will get carte blanche to make that happen, and that’s a must because Texas' athletic department can be downright dysfunctional with all of its internal politics and red tape. Getting everyone on the same page might feel like a herculean task at times in Year 1.

But the reply to any pushback Herman receives should be simple: "Do you want to go 5-7 again? Do you want to keep losing?"

As Meyer told The Columbus Dispatch in 2012 when he began building Ohio State into the program that has won 61 of his 66 games: "That’s going to be my mantra here: If you’re not aligned, you’ve got to go."

The next two steps: Hire the right people. Recruit the right players.

His predecessor was a gifted recruiter, but Charlie Strong's struggles at Texas began with his first coaching staff. Strong ended up firing or losing seven of the nine assistants from his initial staff.

Thus far, we know Herman is bringing with him at least four of his Houston assistants, his strength coach, director of operations and recruiting director. The rest are staying behind, at least for now, to coach the Cougars' bowl game.

Who Herman calls on to complete his staff in these next few weeks will be fascinating to follow. With nearly 10 weeks left until signing day, Herman and his coaches will have plenty of time to address recruiting and plenty of room to land the kids who fit the vision.

The big challenge? Getting all of Texas' players properly aligned to their new purpose. The goal here is to have one message, communicated with clarity and consistency, continually driven home to them.

"The NCAA says we only get them four hours a day during the season and two hours a day in the offseason," Herman said. "So when they walk in the building, every message that is thrust upon them, from a sign on the wall to an interaction with an academic counselor, the expectations and the management of the program has to be aligned."

He knows he must convince Texas players that his way is the right way. Considering they have experienced three straight losing seasons, the veteran players he'll try to persuade first should be amenable to change.

"I think we've got to attack them first," Herman said. "By attack, we've got to make sure that we have the upperclassmen believing in our plan and our way of doing things."

The love Herman showed his players at Houston was hard-earned. He says he spells love T-I-M-E. He’s going to be hard on these players. But when you prove you’re "a bonafide dude, a real guy" by his standards, the sky’s the limit.

This is the Tom Herman philosophy. This is Step 1 of the proven plan he’s putting together to win championships at Texas. It starts with building an organization, from president and athletic director to coordinators and coaches, all the way down to the secretaries and tutors -- of people wanting the same thing and pulling in the same direction.

Bohls: Tom Herman’s Horns could win it all, but not in 2017

Kirk Bohls American-Statesman Staff
            In all likelihood, Tom Herman will not win the national championship in 2017.

Nor does he have to. But he’d better over the life of his five-year contract.

If he does win it all in his first season at Texas, he’ll get a nice bonus and will be seen water-skiing on Lady Bird Lake. Without benefit of skis.

With all due respect to his predecessor, who predicted at least 10 wins next fall and a national championship in the near future, the cupboard isn’t near that stacked to become the next Alabama. Not even close. Besides, we all know Alabama wins it every year.

The cupboard’s not nearly that full at Texas.

But neither is it bare.

Expectations should simmer down before Longhorns start planning the parade route down Congress Avenue. I doubt anyone saw a College Football Playoff team masquerading as a 5-7 team in burnt orange this season.

But I could see a national title in Texas’ future with Herman. So can Herman, I promise you. This man’s driven. And confident. Asked about adjustments he’ll make in Austin, the steely-eyed Herman said, “None.”

He may have only been a graduate assistant under Mack Brown in 1999, but he takes it all in. Herman may kiss his players, but he’s only kiss and tell about how hard his team is going to work and play.

“This won’t be Camp Texas,” Herman vowed. “Never once have I seen a football coach hoist a championship trophy and, when asked how did you win, he said, ‘We out-finessed ‘em.’ That’s never come out of any coach’s mouth ever.”

And won’t his mouth either. He promised a physically and mentally tough team. That comes in handy in fourth quarters.

Asked to label Herman’s best qualities, Houston defensive line coach Oscar Giles, who will join him here, said, “A leader. Very detailed. He’s really passionate about what he does.”

And is he ready for a place this demanding?

“Do we all?” Giles asked.

Just because Charlie Strong said the team is stacked doesn’t mean it’s so. Can’t say I blame Strong, however, because he was trying to sell himself to the administration as much as apply pressure to whoever followed him.

Just as Strong went 6-7 after inheriting a Mack Brown team that almost captured the Big 12 and had six NFL players, including a first-rounder, on defense and two five-star running backs, Herman shouldn’t be expected to walk on water in his first year either. Second year, maybe.

But unquestionably he will be expected to contend for Big 12 and national championships soon. Sure, over the last five years, 125 FBS programs haven’t won it all. Only three have — Alabama three times, Ohio State and Florida State. An Ohio State team with a promising, young offensive coordinator, incidentally.

That young coordinator was and is the Longhorns’ best option, and I think North Carolina’s Larry Fedora was Plan B. Yes, Herman’s the coach who lost to SMU, Memphis and Navy. And he’s the same coach who upset Top 10 teams Louisville, Oklahoma and Florida State. He has but two years’ experience as a college head coach, but a guy named Darrell Royal had only three. Different era? Bob Stoops had none before taking over at OU.

“He’s only been a head coach for two years,” Brown said, “but he’s been real good those two years. Does he have what it takes to win a championship? I think he does.”

So do I.

And Herman will have a lot of ready-made talent at Texas. If it was over-the-top talent, Strong would still be here.

Texas does hold promise. Lots of it. I can see nine or 10 wins next year, but that’s a leap from five.

Herman won’t suffer from sticker shock when he sets his bags down in Moncrief.

The All-Big 12 teams are not likely to be overloaded with Longhorns outside running back and punter. D’Onta Foreman and Michael Dickerson are strong bets for consensus All-American, but Foreman may be changing addresses.

Herman’s got a talented but not superstar at quarterback, and Shane Buechele is very fragile and is no dual threat.

His offensive line returns but for one senior. It should be a good one as it was in Houston despite seven different lineups in the line.

He’s got an All American-caliber running back. Well, for a few weeks.

But he needs a lot, too.

Texas needs a playmaker in the defensive line, someone like Ed Oliver at Houston.

Texas needs stability in the secondary where P.J. Locke III, Kris Boyd and John Bonney showed promise.

Texas needs reliable wide receivers, which means more Devin Duvernay and Dorian Leonard and probably less John Burt.

Texas needs a kicker. Oh, does Texas need a kicker, unless junior Mitchell Becker is the real deal.

But so is Tom Herman.

Comment

If you're a Texas fan and have been living under a rock for a couple of years...

MY EDUCATION AS A HEAD COACH: WHAT HAS GONE INTO STARTING TO RESHAPE HOUSTON'S PROGRAM
              BY TOM HERMAN
              08 SEPTEMBER 2015
              Houston hired former Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman as its head coach on Dec. 15, 2014. In the last eight months he has received an education on the life of a head coach—in advance of his debut 52-24 victory over Tennessee Tech on Sept. 5, he did everything from speaking at a local rodeo to ripping up tiles in the Cougars' athletics facility to putting in the foundation for a 2016 recruiting class that ranks No. 44 nationally, according to Rivals.com. Herman revealed to Campus Rush everything that goes into a coach's first head job, and the progress of his attempt to build Houston into "a mini–Ohio State."

When I was the offensive coordinator at Rice in 2007, there was an elite quarterback coming out of Stratford High in Houston. He made it very clear: If Texas didn't offer him a football scholarship, he was going to go to an academically minded school. So, his final three schools were Northwestern, Stanford and Rice. We were on his list for three reasons: He's from Houston; his dad was the president of MLS's Houston Dynamo; and his mom and maternal grandparents graduated from the school. Long story short, he had been on campus a couple of times, and I had always known well in advance he was coming.

Rice didn't have very nice facilities, so I knew which hallways to walk him down and where to hide him—I knew what doors to keep closed so he did not see certain things. Meanwhile, we planned any way we could to polish up the facilities. But during the spring my office phone rang and it's the quarterback's dad. I'm thinking, "Great!" I take the call, and he says, "Coach Herman, my wife and son and I are in the parking lot. Can we come up and spend some time with you?" I said, "Of course," but I'm thinking to myself, "Oh no! Oh god! What do I do?"

So, I spent the next two hours fumbling around, and the kid saw all our warts. I went home that night feeling terrible—a combination of wanting to vomit profusely and curl up in the fetal position. I knew he was getting on a flight to Palo Alto the next day to visit Stanford. I knew what they were going to show him. And I knew that we were done. We had failed. Would we have gotten him? Probably not. But we failed. We did not put our best foot forward.

That quarterback was Andrew Luck.

I've told that story every day since I arrived at Houston. Every day when I roll into the parking lot, close my car door and start walking into the football facility, I say to myself, "What if Andrew Luck shows up today?" And I walk in, pick up gum wrappers and inspect the floor. We need new paint on the walls, new pictures, all sorts of things. In the city of Houston, there's a very real chance that the next Andrew Luck could show up in our offices today. It's almost a mantra for our coaches: Your offices better stay neat. You better have a highlight tape ready, a recruitment presentation ready, all your spiels ready, because there are 10 five-star prospects living within 20 minutes of us and they can show up at any time.Before I got here this building was not seen as a recruiting tool, but as a place to house employees. We're slowly but surely changing that.

When I took over this program, it wasn't broken. The team went 8–5 the past two seasons. But a lot of things inside and outside of the program needed to be updated and upgraded. It all starts with the players. This is a players-first program, and there's a lot of talent here.

The thing that I began focusing on in the spring—and I learned a lot of this from Urban Meyer at Ohio State—is establishing the foundation of program. I'll be honest, I've taken about 90% of the foundation of the program from Urban—conditioning, class schedules and structure of the program. This place is like a mini-Ohio State. I'm sure Urban, when he got his first job at Bowling Green in 2001, he didn't just invent all this stuff. He got it from somewhere and twisted and turned it. So, my job is to take what works, what I like, what I thought was great, and add maybe a few little personal beliefs to it. Two of the key components of Urban's program are the strength coach and football operations. I took Fernando Lovo from Ohio State to run operations, and hired Yancy McKnight, who I worked with at Iowa State, as my strength coach. Those guys are like co-head coaches. I treat them that way and the players treat them that way.

Right when we got here, we needed to overhaul not just the motivation, but also the psychology of motivation. It's one thing that Urban is the best at, and I learned a ton from him about how to motivate players. I think I can be good at it, too, but I've had to change. I was the fun guy. I wanted everyone to like me.

One thing that not enough coaches know how to do—but the thing I learned from Urban that is fantastic—is how to use public praise and criticism. By public, I mean within the team, where you can say to one of your best players, "You stunk today," or, "What you're doing is unacceptable." It's something they didn't have around here. We run the program like a family. Families are honest, families are open. When you mess up, you're going to know it and so are all your brothers. You test positive for a drug test, the entire team—trainers, coaches, everyone—will know, there's no whispering behind each other's back. And you can't always criticize the second-team outside linebacker and not the quarterback.

One of our best players is William Jackson III, a defensive back from Houston. Earlier this spring, I called out our cornerbacks: "Last time I checked, William can't play left corner and right corner in the same game. So, someone in that group has to step up." Not long after, one of the corners showed up 45 minutes late for one of our summer workouts (where we can work with the kids for two hours a week). I went over, stopped the corners' drills and ripped the whole group, not just the kid who was late—ripped the position coach and William Jackson, too. Then I went over to the safeties and told them that their group had no leadership. I told the defensive backs that I don't trust William Jackson. I learned from Urban, who is just a phenomenal motivator, what truly inspires someone—he digs deep into that. William Jackson wants to be a great leader. I promise you he does, and when you call him out in front of his team and his peers, William Jackson has two ways to go. Either he goes in the tank or he responds. Later that day I had a meeting with him and built him up and told him how much I love him. That's a little peek behind the curtain.

One thing that I've gotten much better at is confrontation with my assistant coaches. I've learned that it's O.K., you just can't ever make it personal. I think that's one thing that you learn from someone like Urban, or if you've heard Nick Saban talk. It's never personal. It's never, "You stupid jerk, why did I hire you?" The way to handle it is, "You're not doing your job. This is what we need you to do. Get it done. These are the expectations."

As far as on the field, the first thing that comes to mind is that in spring ball I didn't know what to do. It's an odd paradox that I'm in charge of all of this, but I'm really not in charge of any of it if you think about it.

On the first day of spring practice, I barely knew the players. We got done stretching, and I'm excited because I'm coaching the punt team. The punts were the very first thing. Then everyone broke off into individual drills. I turned to Yancy and asked, "What am I supposed to do?" At practice, I joke that all I do is walk around and yell at people, whether it's good or bad. I encourage them, I get on them. That was difficult, having been working for 20 years as an assistant with my small groups. I was always focused on, "This is what I have to get done today with QBs."

People make a big deal about the system you run. But I've learned though the years that your system has to marry your talent. One of my proudest seasons is when we went 12-0 in my first year at Ohio State in 2012. Philosophically, we wanted to be balanced. But we couldn't throw the ball. We had a good line, a beast at tailback in Carlos Hyde and a freak at quarterback in Braxton Miller. It was one of my proudest achievements in coaching. We didn't try to fit a square peg in a round hole. And that's how we're going to approach stuff at Houston. You start with a vision of, "Here's who we are. Here's our beliefs. Here's how we play." What our vision may be is going to be entirely dependent on the players we have.

The Cougars ran a Texas Tech-style Air Raid offense last year. It was an easy transition from that to the tempo, no-huddle and spread mentality we're going to have. But we needed to do a 180 with the physicality. For 100 years in football, no one has won a game because of their finesse. I don't know any team that ever won a championship while playing soft. So, when we got here, physicality was nonnegotiable.

All the buzz we've received in recruiting started with a local offensive tackle from Richmond, Texas, named Joshua Jones. Once I got to campus after the national title game in January, there was a mad dash to Signing Day. We put the full-court press on Josh. Really, all 10 coaches on the staff did. We sat around and tried to figure out, "How are we going to sell this city?" I have no idea who came up with it and I really don't care, but we came up with, "Your city is calling." And when Josh flipped from Oklahoma State to Houston last February, he tweeted: "My city was calling my name, so I had to answer it." Everything took off from there. Everyone talks about putting a fence around their city. We say it about Houston and Chad Morris at SMU says it about Dallas. Josh, a freshman this fall, was the first stake in our fence.

It also gave our staff a confidence that we could battle with top schools on the recruiting trail and win. From there, social media has really helped us. There's a tweet quota that you have to have on our staff. I'm not going to say what it is, but Twitter is free marketing, and everyone on our staff has to do it. To not use social media would be a huge mistake. Our target audience stares at their phones nine hours a day. Why would you not put the UH logo in front of them as many times as you can?

The ESPN 30 for 30 on "The U" at Miami also gave us inspiration. We said, "If they can do it at a private school in Miami, why can't we do it in a football-rich city like Houston?" We made our own version of "The U" with spliced-up video, and had a screening of it, inviting the top 40 players in the city. About 30 of them showed up. We inserted clips of Andre Ware, David Klingler and Case Keenum. That took hold. That led to the whole "H-Town Takeover" slogan. Houston is a much different city than Dallas is. Dallas is transient. No one is from there. Dallas to me is like Phoenix. In Houston, you have third- and fourth-generation Houstonians. There's a real sense of pride. We've just tapped into that. The ten of us on the staff have recruited the state of Texas for 126 years. We've signed more than 324 guys from Texas high schools. The connections were there. The big momentum swing for our 2016 class came from the verbal commitment of a top recruit in May. (Editor's note: NCAA rules do not allow Herman to comment on specific prospects until they are signed.) The big shoe dropped with a highly ranked player, and everyone suddenly said, "This is real." Just getting that verbal commitment gave us credibility, and it snowballed from there.

I've had some fun with recruiting, too. Every time we get a commitment, I put up a GIF on Twitter to celebrate. There's a player we got from Texas who we beat out two Big Ten teams for, and I told him, "This is a first in history, you can pick your own GIF." It took him a while. He wouldn't announce until he had his GIF. I was a little nervous. Ohio State tweets out, "BOOM!" when it gets a commitment. Texas A&M tweets out, "YESSIR!" I'm going to have my own, so I get a funny GIF from the Chive app. It could be J.J. Watt celebrating in the end zone, the "Shake and Bake" from Talladega Nights or anything from Anchorman. They make me laugh. I keep a few tucked away in reserve, just in case.

There's a hallway floor in our facility that is 25 years old. It rains a lot in Houston, so who knows what's under it by now. But a few months ago, the little rubber tiles started to peel up like a potato chip. I said, "Hey, this isn't safe for our athletes." After 10 or 15 emails, I said that I would pay for it. I went to Home Depot, bought a bunch of scrapers and spent a night peeling the tiles back. I was fully prepared to spend my own money to put a floor down. It was for my guys and for recruiting. I peeled up the floor myself because if somebody was going to be angry about it, I didn't want anyone else to get in trouble but me. It actually didn't take me that long, like three or four hours. I stacked the tiles up in the locker room. In a few weeks, we ended up with new floors.

I think TCU is a great model for growth here at Houston. While the Horned Frogs were winning in the Mountain West, their football program built an indoor facility, renovated its locker rooms, renovated its weight rooms—renovated its everything within a six- to eight-year span. So, then when expansion came to the Big 12, TCU athletic director Chris Del Conte went to DeLoss Dodds at Texas and said, 'We're ready.' He went to Joe Castiglione at Oklahoma and said, 'We're ready.' And the Horned Frogs really were ready. It's not all about wins.

The first thing this athletic department needs is a new basketball arena. We'd get laughed out of the Big 12 if we tried playing a conference basketball game in Hofheinz Pavilion. If we joined a power conference, we'd be the only football program that shares a weight room with 17 other varsity sports. We need our own weight room and indoor facility and all that, but until then, we have to change the culture around here of just throwing our hands up and saying, Well, there's red tape and a purchase order on a bid. I'm like, "I get it." I'm like Urban. I get all the problems. Tell me how I can help. I'm ready. You want me to come in at five in the morning and sit on the purchasing guy's front stoop and bring him a shirt and a hat? I'll do that. But tell me what you need. I'm a servant. Use me. Our new athletic director, Hunter Yurachek, has been really good in that area. We need things like a new weight room and a new floor in the hallway and he's said, "Just go."

I've really made an effort to drum up interest in Houston football since taking over. I've said yes to every possible speaking engagement I could. I spoke at a rodeo. I was at the Bear Bryant coach of the year award. I've played in a lot of golf tournaments. But I was most fired up about speaking at Houston's commencement. I spoke without notes. I spoke from the heart. I told a story about the kids we're raising in society, and how all these soccer moms from Dublin, Ohio, don't want to keep score in kids' games. They were looking at me like I was jerk because I said that I taught my kid to keep score. Are you kidding me? I'm not the one who is messed up here. They're going to keep score in life. It's O.K. I've failed hundreds of thousands of times. I probably failed 100 times today. But winning is not supposed to matter to me? I don't know if I'll ever be able to grasp that. Forget the awards. You should want to be the best at whatever your chosen field is. I want my kids to win. Winners get the corner office, the big house, the hot wife, the whole nine. I said that at commencement. Then I said that the people who don't win, they get cubicles, the hoopty ride, the not-so-hot wife.

That was a joke, and it didn't go over so well with some folks. But it underscores the intangibles we're going to represent philosophically here at Houston. If you're going to be in the Peace Corps, be the best Peace Corps worker in the world. If you're going to be a teacher, be the best teacher on the planet. Winning isn't just about the material things you attain, it's about being your best in all you do. After my speech, I got a few anonymous emails from people complaining. Everyone else, they ate it up. There were 8,000 people there and only two anonymous emailers complained, I consider that a win. We plan on doing a lot of winning at Houston.

Comment

Kirk Bohls @kbohls
                Texas RB D'Onta Foreman says he is turning pro early.

Comment

Ruined food, crazy workouts: What it's like to play for Herman

The workouts started at 4:30 a.m.

In Tom Herman’s first spring as a head coach, Houston’s players circled the field five times for a warmup. When the whistle blew, they did it again. Then came the stretching, which was quickly followed by an hour to two hours of pain.

Herman told his team it would be the “hardest offseason in the history of college football.”

He meant it.

“It felt like it was,” former Houston safety Trevon Stewart told 247Sports. “It’s like military workouts. It’s crazy.”

The Cougars felt their coach and his staff of energetic football demons were a little psychotic. ‘This dude is crazy,’ former Houston defensive back Adrian McDonald, now with the San Diego Chargers, remembers thinking that spring.

That’s what the Texas Longhorns are getting in Herman. He’s a 41-year-old going from a graduate assistant role with Texas to the head coach’s office in less than 20 years. He’s traced an unparalleled route back to Austin that includes just two seasons as a head coach and a new contract which will pay him over $5 million a year.

If you’re wondering how he got here so quickly, his former players at Houston quite emphatically point to those workouts and the dedication Herman demands from his team. Herman made it quite clear that process would continue at Texas during his introductory press conference Sunday.

“I told them this program is going to be really hard,” Herman said. “Winning is hard. They don't give and hand out championship trophies.”

The Cougars took them under Herman – AAC and Peach Bowl memorabilia, to be exact – and the culture he created is the source of that success.

Well that and more than just a bit of suffering.

“I’ve never been around anything like (the practices) before,” McDonald said. “He just got it out of us. He just got the best out of us every day.”

“You ever see Coach Carter?”

Stewart asks this before detailing the first few months of the Herman era at Houston, where the first-year head coach’s tactics mirrored that of Samuel L. Jackson in the 2005 film, which was based on real events.

Memorably, Jackson’s character chained up the doors to the gym until his team earned the right to practice there. Herman did the same thing to Houston’s locker room doors.

“You have to earn the right to get into the locker room,” Herman told them.

He also took away his team’s UofH gear, telling them they had to secure their right to wear the logo. If this sounds familiar, it’s because Texas’ previous head coach, Charlie Strong, did the same thing with the Longhorn symbol. Perhaps it’s a product of both coaches branching off the Urban Meyer coaching tree. But Herman got it to work at Houston with a 22-4 overall record compared to Strong's 16-21 mark at Texas.

How did Herman transform his team? Intense competition in muggy Houston heat, and more than a few breakfasts gone bad.

One of Herman’s many mantras at Houston was “train for chaos.” That meant many things to the Cougar players, but mostly practices would be intense slogs. The NCAA allows 12 live contact practices in the preseason, two a week during the season and eight during spring practice – Herman used every second of all of them.

Houston had a full contact practice every Tuesday of the 2014 season in which the Cougars went 13-1 and beat Florida State in the Peach Bowl. That meant pads, it meant contact and it meant plenty of those distinct pops that accompany football equipment colliding.

Herman wanted practices to hurt.

He wanted the game to feel less intense than a normal Tuesday afternoon.

“On a scale of 1-10 I’d say practice is a 10 every day and the game itself is a seven,” Houston defensive back Howard Wilson told 247Sports in November.

It worked for the Cougars. Not only did Houston finish 22-4 in Herman’s tenure, it suffocated opponents late. Houston outscored opponents by an average of 18.8-9.7 in the second half during Herman’s two years on campus. In games that were decided by two scores or less, the Cougars scored 157 fourth-quarter points against 100 for their opponents.

“We train to go long,” Stewart said. “We train to keep going. You can see the difference in the game.”

The results came eventually, sure. But Herman had to motivate his team to buy into the culture he wanted to create in the first place. To do so, he prioritized competition. Everything the Cougars did in practice had an adversarial aspect – sprints, drills even the speed with which they moved to stations.

Those results were tallied, usually by offense vs. defense, and winners and losers were declared.

You didn’t want to be a loser.

When those 4:30 a.m. practices ended, the Cougars would head to breakfast as a team. Winners were rewarded with a buffet of appetizing options. An omelet bar, chicken and waffles or a giant trey of fruit, they could have it all.

The losers ate last, and the menu changed. They were handed a spoon to feast on watered down eggs and half-burnt biscuits. Herman wanted losing to hurt, so he instructed that biscuits be left in the oven a few minutes too long and water to be poured over the eggs.

“You just wish you won that day,” McDonald said.

“A lot of coaches don’t do the same thing Herman and his staff did,” Stewart added.

This intensity can take its toll. Injures tend to accrue the more hits a player takes, and in Houston’s losses to Navy and SMU this season it missed an average of five starters a contest. In its other loss, against Memphis, the question of Herman’s future hung over the program.

Following Houston’s victory over No. 5 Louisville on Nov. 17, Herman stated: “We have not gone anywhere. We were banged up, tired and exhausted in the month of October. That's not an excuse, that's reality.”

At Houston those injuries at the top of the depth chart were crippling. At Texas, where the Longhorns recruit four- and five-star players from 1-85 on the roster, Stewart believes Herman’s physical practices will be all the more effective.

“There’s a lot of high-caliber guys there, more depth,” Stewart said. “I feel like he might even turn it up a little extra.”

There were two parts to Coach Carter, however. While he may have come across as a disciplinary tyrant in the beginning, Carter also balanced that with touches of humanity in his relations with his players.

Herman is the same way, and a lot of that traces back to the honestly with which he treats his team – both Stewart and McDonald understood his move to jump to Texas and didn’t feel like he mislead the Cougars.

His first day in Houston, Herman told his team: “I’m not going to treat everybody the same.”

Treating everyone equally is a well-trodden banality in sports, not to mention life, and the players know it's nonsensical. When Herman came in, he told the Cougars that if they didn’t do what they should in practice, off the field and in the classroom, he wouldn’t treat them with respect.

Stewart said Herman would walk past players in the hall without even a nod if they failed in any of those areas. If the player performed in all three aspects, Herman would have a hug for him and a question about his family.

“That’s a big difference with a lot of coaches,” Stewart said.

Herman takes a “demand, don’t ask” approach to instruction, and at Houston his players responded to that. His success is certainly tied to the roster he inherited – his first team started 16 upperclassmen for the Peach Bowl – but Stewart said culture superseded all, including scheme.

After all, those same players finished 7-5 the year before under Tony Levine.

“I feel like Herman walked into the perfect position,” Stewart said. “But we had those players under Levine and couldn’t do what he did. He taught us a different way. He didn’t take no bull#### from nobody. But outside of football it’s all love.

“Everybody gravitated toward him.”

Herman is fond of saying “culture wins games,” and he’ll have an opportunity to prove it in Austin. Much like he did at Houston, Herman will inherit a talented roster with experience bolstered by back-to-back Top 10 recruiting classes under Strong.

As he did with the Cougars, he’ll have to alter the culture to the point where winning becomes the expectation again in Austin.

“Some of the things that we'll do in our program will be similar,” Herman said Sunday. “But I also told (the team) that the definition of insanity is repeatedly performing the same act, expecting different results, and that we need to change some things.”

Part of that alteration will be to meld the Longhorns together. Herman used a technique at Houston that Stewart credits for much of the team’s success. He assigned each Cougar both a “little” and “big brother,” and handed each pair a set of questions such as: What does trust mean to you? Who was the most influential person in your life? What’s the worst thing you’ve been through?

Heavy stuff, and Herman encouraged his players to be as open as possible. Some players spoke of death, others of parents on drugs.

“When you know what happened to the man beside you, you’ll play even harder for him,” Stewart said.

Herman, a man of many faces, doesn’t hesitate to show his affection. Herman is well known for kissing his players on the cheek before games, but these smooches aren’t just reserved for pregame.

The top players in Houston under Herman were known as “his dudes.” Dudes were the ballers, the best players on the team. That position came with playing time and Herman’s love. Houston’s players balked at it initially, but they grew to appreciate the pecks on the cheek.

“It’s just like the Godfather, you know?” Stewart said.

Perhaps Herman is just a mashup of movie montages and motivational techniques. Either way, the one-time $5,000-a-year graduate assistant is Texas’ new head man tasked with turning around a program that’s 46-42 since the turn of the decade.

Those 4:30 a.m. workouts are coming soon for the Longhorns, and Houston’s former players are confident they’ll work wonders at Texas. The Longhorns just need to survive first.

“He called it fight or flight,” McDonald said. “Some people left and some people stayed. Those people who stayed were rewarded at the end. It’s just a matter of those kids buying into his plan.”

Comment

The contract...

Comment

Herman, Texas have key needs to fill right now

ESPN
                      ​​​​​​​
                      Tom Herman is hosting his first recruiting weekend at Texas beginning Friday. The Longhorns currently have seven ESPN 300 commits, five of which are in the ESPN 300.

One of those is quarterback and January enrollee Sam Ehlinger, who will help recruiting starting with this weekend’s unofficial visit by ESPN 300 running back Eno Benjamin and ESPN Junior College 50 tight end Sal Cannella, ESPN 300 receiver and TCU commit Omar Manning, Texas A&M defensive line commit Jayden Peevy and Nebraska tight end verbal Reese Leitao.

“We are excited to have the kids on campus, especially with Sam [Ehlinger] being on campus again, this time for an official visit,” said a source on the Texas football staff. “We are excited to get to know the kids again, and them get to know our staff a little bit better. We are excited about getting to know the kids this weekend.”

While Herman and staff are inheriting a roster full of young talent, there are several positions of need. With a class expected to be between 17-19 kids, the staff must be very selective with finding the fits for Herman’s vision of the program.

Here are six priorities for the Longhorns heading into the final seven weeks before national signing day.

Quarterback (2)

Prior to Ehlinger enrolling in January, the Longhorns have just two scholarship quarterbacks on the roster in freshman starter Shane Buechele and Matthew Merrick. With Merrick yet to look like a player that could receive snaps in a game and not a scheme fit in Herman’s offense, Texas needs to add another scholarship signal-caller.

Texas has dabbled with former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham to no avail with Auburn looking like the future selection, and there is now an offer out to Houston verbal and three-star dual-threat Bryson Smith. Smith was offered as an athlete/slot receiver on Tuesday. If he flipped to Texas, he would need a redshirt year, but could easily end up playing quarterback.

Running back (2)

With D’Onta Foreman leaving for the NFL, the Longhorns are sitting at four scholarship running backs entering spring practice with Chris Warren and Kirk Johnson both returning after season-ending injuries, and freshman Kyle Porterhaving also played through a lingering ankle injury through most of the season.

The Longhorns have a need for two backs in the class, but filling that need remains in question. Flipping ESPN 300 J.K. Dobbins from Ohio State is a tough task, to say the least as the dynamic playmaker will be enrolling in college in January. Another mid-term graduate that could fill one of the spots is ESPN 300 and former Iowa verbal Eno Benjamin.
                      BLESSED to say I've received an offer from the University of TEXAS #Hook'em🐂 #believe pic.twitter.com/qoqvybdRiw

— EB5™ (@eno_benjamin5) December 8, 2016
                      Benjamin will decide between Arizona State, Utah, Missouri and the Longhorns.

The second back in the class will likely be Houston verbal Daniel Young. The 5-foot-11, 210-pounder is one of the more under-valued backs in the 2017 class, and is a near-perfect scheme fit. Texas offered Thursday, and Young told RecruitingNation he plans to make official visit in January.

Tight end (2)

Just two scholarship tight ends are in the program entering the spring in junior Andrew Back and redshirt freshman Peyton Aucoin.

The Longhorns have extended three offers in less than a week. SMU commit and Texas legacy Cade Brewer was the first to be offered, followed by Nebraska commit Reese Leitao, the son of DePaul head basketball coach Dave Leitao. Reese Leitao is a good bet to make an official visit to Austin before making a final decision.

Texas also scoured the junior college ranks in the last week and have one of the best available heading to Austin Saturday. Cannella, who happens to be a black belt in karate, is currently making an official visit to Auburn before making his way to Austin Saturday for a two-day visit with his father. Cannella, who is a December graduate, will likely make a decision quickly between Maryland, Auburn and Texas.

Offensive tackle (2)

The Longhorns have more depth on the interior than at tackle. Add in the fact that All-Big 12 left tackle Conner Williams is a strong possibility to enter the NFL draft after next season, and there is ample pressure to sign two tackles. ESPN 300 Walker Little is at the top of the tackle board with Texas expected to battle Stanford and possibly Florida State for the talented tackles, who is committing Dec. 16.
                      Loved having the Horns over tonight! @walkerlittle45 #inhomevisitpic.twitter.com/oCO5etqbi7

— Sara Stanley Little (@slittleiam) December 8, 2016
                      Along with Little, ESPN 300 and Colorado commitment Grant Polley has emerged as the other top target after offensive line coach Derek Warehime has been by Denton High twice, offering Nov. 29, two days after Herman’s hiring was announced. Polley could play tackle, guard or even center at the next level making him a high-value prospect for the new staff. A third target on top of the board is ESPN 300 Chuck Filiaga, who made an unofficial visit last weekend. The Longhorns are battling Michigan, USC, Nebraska and Oklahoma for Filiaga.

Oklahoma State verbal Dan Moore is another the Texas staff is keeping tabs on, as well as Houston verbal Dennis Bardwell.

DE/OLB/Pass rusher (2)

Texas has a number of talented players at defensive tackle returning in the program, but there is a need on the outside with pass-rushing ability. At the top of the list is ESPN 300 and Under Armour All-America Game OLB/DE K’Lavon Chaisson, and the Longhorns hold a healthy lead heading into the dead period.

Assuming Texas eventually lands Chaisson, a second edge player will be icing on the cake. A name to remember is definitely Houston commit Marquez Bimage. The do-it-all player has natural pass-rush ability with an underrated skill set already in hand.

Kicker (1)

Texas will likely turn to Mitchell Beck to handle the kicking duties in 2017, but that means the staff would love to have someone take over Beck’s kickoff duties and provide competition. The Longhorns staff will look at both the high school and junior college ranks, as well as transfer possibilities. One kicker that could fit that bill is Baylor transfer Spencer Evans, who handled kickoffs in Waco for two years before transferring prior to the 2016 season. Evans has been offered by Arizona, and is on track to be a January enrollee.

Comment

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
                        .@TilmanJFertitta, @UHouston Board chair, says they expect def coordinator Todd Orlando headed to Texas since he didn't get @UHCougarFB job

Comment

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB
                          SOURCE: #Texas hires 29-year-old #Rutgers OC Drew Mehringer, a Tom Herman protege, as passing game coordinator:

Comment

From GA To Top Dog: Herman's Path To Texas

Chip Brown
                            Before Chris Del Conte took over as athletic director at TCU in October of 2009, he was the AD at Rice who hired David Bailiff from Texas State as the head football coach of the Owls in 2007. Bailiff brought his offensive coordinator with him from Texas State - a 32-year-old Tom Herman.

“The thing that stood out about Tom right away was how closely he listened,” Del Conte said. “Then you come to find out the guy is in MENSA and had some ridiculous MENSA score - like 170.

“So he had a legitimate claim to being the smartest guy in any room he was in. But you’d never know it, because he was always asking questions and taking meticulous notes. He was always looking for new and better ways to do things.”

After Rice went 10-3 with a win over Western Michigan in the Texas Bowl in 2008, Herman sought out Del Conte to talk about an opportunity he had to join Paul Rhoads’ staff at Iowa State as Rhoads took over Gene Chizik (who had gone 2-10 in 2008 but somehow landed the Auburn head-coaching job).

“I asked him, ‘Now, why would you want to make that move?’ And he said, ‘Because it will give me a chance to start competing on the biggest stage.’
                            “Tom was always looking to be the best coach he could possibly be.”

In Herman’s first year as OC under Rhoads at Iowa State, the Cyclones went 7-6 and beat Tim Brewster's Minnesota team in the Insight Bowl. Iowa State went 5-7 in 2010 but beat Texas, 28-21, on a fateful day in Austin that season.

In 2011, Iowa State beat rival Iowa 44-41 in triple OT, went to Lubbock and waxed then-No. 22 Texas Tech 41-7 and took down then-No. 2 Oklahoma State 37-31 in 2OT before earning a trip to another bowl game (Pinstripe).

That was enough for Urban Meyer to take a chance on Herman as his offensive coordinator and QB coach when he returned to coaching at Ohio State in 2012.
                            That and a recommendation from Will Muschamp - of all people. A source close to Meyer said he picked the brain of Muschamp about offensive coordinators he’d faced who had impressed him, and Muschamp mentioned Herman after facing him at Texas against Iowa State in UT’s 28-21 loss in 2010.

“That recommendation by Muschamp was not insignificant in Urban’s mind,” the source said.

In Herman’s three seasons at Ohio State, the Buckeyes went 12-0 (but were ineligible for the Big Ten title game and bowl bid because of NCAA sanctions), 11-2 and 14-1 - winning the national title in 2014.

“I told Tommy, the biggest regret of my coaching career was not making him my offensive coordinator at Minnesota,” said Florida State TE coach Tim Brewster, who was fired after four seasons as the head coach of the Golden Gophers (2007-10).

Brewster added, “I also told Tommy, ‘The best thing that ever happened to you was me not making you my offensive coordinator at Minnesota.’”

A week after being named the head coach at Texas, Herman tweeted out a picture of his business card as a graduate assistant coach at Texas (1999-2000) next to his business card now as the Longhorns' head coach with a message, "To all the GAs out there grinding away, keep working hard. Dreams can come true."

No one knows that story better than Herman's wife, Michelle. The two were married after Herman's two-year graduate assistant coaching stint at Texas (1999-2000) in a gorgeous setting in California (they met as students at Cal-Lutheran in 1993) in the summer of 2001.

Almost before they could wipe the wedding cake frosting from their faces, they were packed up and moving across the country to Huntsville, Texas, where Herman had gotten his first, full-time college assistant's job, coaching receivers at Sam Houston State.

Herman has said that job paid just $10,000 per year and that Michelle supported the couple by taking jobs in Huntsville ranging from child care and bank telling to waitressing to help pay the bills.

"Michelle is a great lady," Del Conte said. "She has been there from the beginning. They get each other and have great kids with great names (daughter Priya and sons Maddock and Maverick)."

When Herman was announced as the head coach at Texas, I asked him what he took from each of the head coaches he had worked under.
                            From Mack Brown, Herman said he learned “inclusivity.”

“He included the high school coaches,” Herman said. “He included the former players. He included so many people in this great program that, prior to Coach Brown getting here, probably were not included and felt a bit disenfranchised.”

From David Bailiff, Herman said, “I learned how to love your players.”

“Love them and make sure that they feel that love,” Herman added. “In our program, we spell love T-I-M-E, time.

“You can't just say it. You've got to do it, and you've got to spend an inordinate amount of time with your players for them to feel love.”

From Paul Rhoads, Herman said, “I learned how to be passionate about the place that you work for.”

“Paul Rhoads was an Iowa native who had an opportunity to coach in his own home state and was very passionate about that.”

From Urban Meyer, Herman said, “I feel like I went to head coaching school for three years.”

“People ask me all the time, what was the thing I took away the most? There was a thousand things I took away from Coach Meyer.

“But I think probably the biggest one is the practice of alignment.

“I think we are in an age now that our student-athletes are being bombarded with messages, and we only get them -- the NCAA says we only get them four hours a day during the season and two hours a day in the off-season.

“So when they walk in the building, they have to be - every message that is thrust upon them, from a sign on the wall to an interaction with an academic counselor, the expectations and the management of the program has to be aligned. Because they're just getting hit left and right with all these messages.

“So from your assistant coaches, to your strength staff, to your support staff, to your training room, to the academic people, to the expectations.

“It can't be OK to show up two minutes late for a tutor but not be OK to show up two minutes late for a position meeting.

“So you have to be aligned in everything that you do or else kids, often times, have a way of going off the reservation a little bit.”

Del Conte said Herman’s comments about what he took from each coach “wasn’t just rhetoric.”

“That’s from the heart,” Del Conte said. “And that's because he is a meticulous listener, always asking questions, taking copious notes and then forming his own message. Seeing Tom adapt to his surroundings and put in the work - he was on a journey to be the very best at his profession.”

Del Conte and others, including Major Applewhite, have said Herman’s decision to build the Houston program with Houston talent the way Howard Schnellenberger built the Miami Hurricanes' program into a national title winner in the 1980s with Miami high school talent was brilliant.

That decision - and the hire of Corby Meekins, the coach at talent-rich Houston Westfield High School, as UH tight ends and fullbacks coach - played key roles in attracting Houston’s first-ever 5-star talent - Westfield DT Ed Oliver - to UH. Oliver earned first-team All-America honors as a true freshman at Houston this season.

Applewhite told UH officials they’d be negligent to abandon Herman’s “H-Town Takeover” movement and promised them he’d keep it alive if he were made head coach.

Those sentiments expressed by Applewhite in his interviews with UH officials became a big part of the reason Applewhite was named Herman’s successor last week, I was told.

“Tom has called me throughout the years to ask me my opinion on things - career moves and other things,” Del Conte said.

“And he could act like a know-it-all after taking a big risk and going to Iowa State and making that work and then getting on with Urban Meyer and going to, as he said, ‘finishing school.’

“He could act like a know-it-all because of that MENSA score. But that’s not Tom. No one’s given him a thing. The thing I admire about Tom is what I admire about Gary Patterson here at TCU - nothing was ever handed to them.

"They approach every day as if someone is closing in, and you've got to put in the work to stay ahead. From his days at Cal-Lutheran, to Sam Houston State and Texas State to Rice and Iowa State, Tom Herman has earned everything he’s gotten.”

I asked Del Conte if he’s surprised the determined offensive coordinator he knew back at Rice is now the head coach at Texas?

“Did I think back in 2006 or 2007 that he’d end up where is now?” Del Conte said with a chuckle. “I don't know if either one of us could’ve seen or thought that.

“But looking at how Tom has maximized every situation he’s been in, I absolutely see how he’s gotten to this point. I admire how he's worked his way up from the bottom. He's outworked people. He's earned it. He's a great dad, a great husband. I'm happy for him - except when he plays Texas Christian University.””
                            [h?]
                            Last edited by H2O4me; 12-15-2016, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Tom Herman’s first Texas recruiting class shows just how far he has to go

Time to check in on Tom Herman’s first recruiting class at Texas.
                              Pending a late flip, Texas will not land a top-10 in-state recruit for the 1st time in the 12 years of ESPN recruiting rankings. #NSD17

— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) February 1, 2017
                              According to Geoff Ketchum of OrangeBloods.com, it’s not just the last 12 years. It’s the first time in program history.

Yikes. And then Herman goes out and says something like this, perhaps the first time “Texas,” “recruit” and “Iowa State” ever have been muttered in the same football-related sentence:
                              Tom Herman told @SpanningTheLoeb (per his ESPN hit just now), "Nowadays, Texas has to recruit like they're Iowa State."

— Geoff Ketchum (@gkketch) February 1, 2017
                              Herman would know, having been Iowa State’s offensive coordinator from 2009 to 2011. But still, admitting publicly that the Longhorns and Cyclones are anywhere near the same level probably isn’t going to win him too many fans in Austin, even if he’s just being honest. (For the record, Texas has beaten Iowa State in 12 of 14 career meetings.)

Herman was dealt a bad hand, in some aspects. As noted by Brian Davis of the Austin American-Statesman, the Longhorns had just seven oral commitments when Herman took over for Charlie Strong on Nov. 26. And one of those players wasn’t going to qualify academically, so he removed himself from consideration. For comparison’s sake, Mack Brown left Strong 22 oral commitments for the 2014 season (Strong’s first in Austin) and nine for 2015.

Throw in that the Longhorns have gone just 16-21 over the past three seasons and that most high school seniors were in kindergarten the last time Texas football was truly relevant, and you get a sense of just how atrophied the program has become.

The biggest punch in the gut for Herman on Signing Day was when K’Lavon Chaisson, a Houston native and one of the top defensive end recruits in the country, chose Louisiana State over the Longhorns. Without Chaisson and a few other long-shot hopefuls that went elsewhere Wednesday, Texas’s recruiting class is ranked just 30th in the country by 247 Sports as of this writing, a fact Herman is attempting to spin as par for the course as far as coaching-transition classes go.

“The metrics and analytics show a coach’s first class during the transition has the most attrition, the most misses in terms of guys who can’t play, and it has the most off-field issues,” he said, per the Houston Chronicle.

Comment

Herman is not looking good so far. Compare he and Rhule at Baylor...

Herman who coached and recruited the state of TX from 1999-2008 and again from 2015 to present was hired by Texas on 12/26/16. At that time he had 7 commits for the 2017 class. He finished with just 18 signees and a the lowest ranked class for Texas in who knows how long.

Rhule who has never coached or recruited TX was hired by Baylor on 12/6/2016. At that time he had 1 commit for the 2017 class. He finished with 27 signees and by most services was rated higher than Texas in the rankings.

You can explain Rhule's higher rankings by him signing 9 more players. But how does a guy that has never recruited the state of TX, taking over for a university coming off a huge **** scandal out recruit a guy that was just hired at one of the largest universities in the state?

Comment

Working...
                                X