Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former Wake Forest Football Assistant Provided Game Plan Information to Opponents

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Wake Forest Football Assistant Provided Game Plan Information to Opponents

Former Wake Forest Football Assistant Provided Game Plan Information to Opponents
    ​​​​​​An investigation by Wake Forest found Tommy Elrod provided proprietary information to opponents

Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports
    An investigation by the Wake Forest Athletic Department following the Wake Forest-Louisville football game on November 12th, found that former Wake Forest coach Tommy Elrod has provided or attempted to provide confidential game plan information to opposing teams, starting in 2014.

Elrod served as the Wake Forest color man on the IMG Radio Network beginning in 2014, and has been terminated immediately from his position at IMG.

According to a Wake Forest press release, he will “no longer broadcast Wake Forest football games and has been banned from Wake Forest athletics and its facilities.”

Elrod graduated from Wake Forest in 1997 and served as an assistant under Jim Grobe for 11 seasons. He was not retained by current head coach Dave Clawson.

The full press release from media relations is below in its entirety:

“Following the Louisville football game on November 12, Wake Forest conducted a thorough investigation to determine if confidential and proprietary game preparation information had been compromised. The investigation was not limited to the situation with Louisville and was comprehensive in nature. The investigation determined the following:
    • Based on emails, text messages and phone records, Tommy Elrod, a radio announcer for Wake Forest football games, provided or attempted to provide confidential and proprietary game preparations on multiple occasions, starting in 2014.
    • No members of the Wake Forest athletic department, football staff or players were involved in any way in these actions.
    Tommy Elrod is an alumnus of Wake Forest and was a member of the football team from 1993-1997. He later was hired as a graduate assistant under Jim Grobe and held multiple positions for 11 seasons. He was not retained by Dave Clawson and joined the Wake Forest IMG Radio Network in 2014 as a football analyst covering Wake Forest football. Elrod has been terminated immediately from his position at IMG and will no longer broadcast Wake Forest football games. He has been banned from Wake Forest athletics and its facilities.

Wake Forest has notified all the appropriate entities related to these activities, and has taken steps to enhance security of game preparation activities. The University is satisfied with the actions taken and will have no further comment on the details of its investigation at this time.”

Statement from Ron Wellman, Wake Forest Director of Athletics:

I have known Tommy Elrod since his days as a player on our football team. I’m deeply disappointed that he would act against Wake Forest, our football team and our fans in such a harmful manner by compromising confidential game preparation information. It is a relief that the team can move forward without his actions further undermining the positive strides Dave Clawson, his staff and the team have made. All of us are now preparing for final exams and the Military Bowl and continuing to build an outstanding football program.

Statement from Dave Clawson, Wake Forest Head Football Coach:

I am extremely disappointed that our confidential and proprietary game preparation was compromised. It’s incomprehensible that a former Wake Forest student-athlete, graduate-assistant, full-time football coach, and current radio analyst for the school, would betray his alma mater. We allowed him to have full access to our players, team functions, film room, and practices. He violated our trust which negatively impacted our entire program. I am glad we have taken steps to ensure it will not happen in the future. At this point, this is a matter for Ron Wellman and others to act on. My staff and I are focused on Temple and preparing the team for the Military Bowl.

There is no motive behind why this was done, and Blogger So Dear has no more information than what is listed above. Speculation at this juncture is pointless, but needless to say this is extremely disappointing from all angles. We will cover more as it comes out.

Wow.
    Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Tom Jurich’s Wakeyleaks statement brings more questions than answers

We now know that it was former Wake Forest player, GA and assistant coach Tommy Elrod who leaked Demon Deacons game plans over a 3-year period, apparently as retribution for not being retained during the regime change from Jim Grobe to Dave Clawson.

But one of the many unanswered questions from the Wakeyleaks saga has been this: Elrod leaking game plans is one thing, but what about the people on the other end of the leaks? Isn’t accepting stolen information just as nefarious as stealing it in the first place?

Since the scandal broke when Wake game plans were discovered during a road trip to Louisville, the spotlight fell to the Cardinals to answer how those leaked plays got there in the first place.

On Wednesday, Louisville AD Tom Jurich released a statement explaining his program’s side of the story.
    Louisville AD says their OC received info from Tommy Elrod and shared it with Louisville’s defensive staff pic.twitter.com/2OvNHkJY5C

— FootballScoop Staff (@FootballScoop) December 14, 2016
    Jurich admits Louisville knowingly accepted stolen information, then shared that information with its defensive staff. Apparently, because none of the plays illicitly shared with the Cardinals were not run in the game, Louisville essentially tossed the issue to the side and moved on with its season.

By the way, the only reason those plays weren’t run was because Wake knew they’d been stolen.

And don’t forget, the Wake-Louisville game in question was closer than the 44-12 final score indicated; Wake led at one point 12-3. We’ll never know how much those ripped plays affected the game, but the fact is that opportunity was stolen from Wake Forest.
    A few things Jurich’s statement did not address:

1) Where was Bobby Petrino in all this? Why did he not see the need to alert Wake Forest there was a mole in its organization?

By the way, Jurich’s statement is in direct contradiction with what Petrino said immediately after the scandal broke.

“I have no knowledge of the situation,’” Petrino told the Winston-Salem Journal in November. “We take a lot of pride in the way we operate our program. As I’ve stated already this season, my coaching philosophy has always been to play the game with sportsmanship.”

He was on Mike and Mike denying it as well.

“I can tell you that we didn’t,” Petrino said on Mike and Mike. “I like our team, and I’m down here (in Houston) preparing for this game, so I don’t really understand what they’re talking about. I heard about it right before we got on the plane to leave. But I can assure you that we prepare each week the way that you’re supposed to prepare, and I like the fact that our team knows how to do that.”

So while Petrino is denying his staff had any knowledge of leaked game plans, Jurich admits Petrino’s staff accepted and used those same leaked game plans. All this at a school that recently went through a scandal in which head basketball coach Rick Pitino claimed to have zero knowledge of his assistants using prostitutes to lure recruits.

2) Why does Jurich find no issue with his assistants using stolen information? Instead of being concerned of his staff’s complicity in comprising the integrity of college football, he’s annoyed the scandal has affected prep for a game that is still more than two weeks away.

3) Is the ACC going to accept Louisville knowing using stolen information from another league member without a statement of its own? Currently, the conference states it is still “obtaining the internal findings” from Wake Forest.
    The ACC is in process of obtaining Wake Forest's internal investigation … #Wakeyleakspic.twitter.com/aCYR4D7yxU

— Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach) December 14, 2016
    We still don’t know how many other times Elrod leaked Wake’s game plans and, more importantly, to whom he leaked them. But that Wake Forest had to discover for itself that its integrity was being compromised is the most disturbing aspect of this troubling situation.

Once again, trouble finds Bobby Petrino.
    Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Texts suggest Louisville assistant met Wakeyleaks analyst night before game

Text messages strongly suggest Louisville co-offensive coordinator Lonnie Galloway, who was suspended for receiving information about Wake Forest's game plan, met with former Wake radio analyst Tommy Elrod the night before the Cardinals played the Demon Deacons.

In response to a CBS Sports open-records request, Louisville on Friday provided a brief summary of text messages between Galloway and Elrod on Nov. 11, 2016. Galloway initiated the communication at 7:19 p.m. with words that Louisville redacted except for the location of the message.
      • Elrod at 8:37 p.m.: "On way now."
      • Galloway at 8:48 p.m.: "OK. Sitting by fire pit."
      • Elrod at 8:59 p.m.: "Outside?"
      Phone records for Galloway showed he initiated a 25-minute call with Elrod on Nov. 9, three days before the game. The length of the call was by far the longest Galloway had with anyone that week. CBS Sports independently verified the phone number belonged to Elrod.

Louisville declined to comment Friday or make Galloway available for comment. Attempts to reach Elrod were unsuccessful.

The so-called Wakeyleaks investigation, one of the strangest stories in recent college football history, began after the Demon Deacons' 44-12 loss at Louisville on Nov. 12. Wake Forest announced that, a day before the game, a member of Wake Forest's travel party discovered documents related to the Demon Deacons' game plan left behind at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

On Dec. 14, Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich acknowledged that Galloway received information from Elrod and expressed disappointment the issue had brought "undue attention" to Louisville's staff.

"Among the communication were a few plays that were sent and then shared with our defensive staff," Jurich said at the time. "None of the special plays were run during the course of the game. Our defense regularly prepares for similar formations every week in their normal game plan."

Two days later, after national backlash over his response, Jurich suspended Galloway for the Citrus Bowl.

"It is clear to me that the information should not have been shared by anyone at Wake Forest, and it should not have been received by anyone at the University of Louisville," Jurich said. "Although no one from Louisville sought the information, once it was provided, we did not do what should have been done. The information should not have been accepted. It should have been rejected, and officials at Wake Forest should have been alerted to the inappropriate action taken by Mr. Elrod."

The ACC fined Louisville and Virginia Tech $25,000 each for receiving game-plan information from Elrod and identified Army as another team that obtained plays. Georgia assistant coach Shane Beamer, a former Hokies assistant, admitted receiving plays from Elrod in 2014.

Before Beamer was identified as having accepted information, CBS Sports requested any written communication between Virginia Tech football staff members and Elrod around the time of the Wake Forest-Virginia Tech game. Virginia Tech said it had no records related to the request.

CBS Sports requested all written communication between Army football staff members and Elrod around the time of the Wake Forest-Army games in 2014 and 2016. Army said on Dec. 28 the records were still being reviewed during an open investigation conducted by a U.S. Army officer.

"Given the seriousness of these claims, it is important that all the facts and findings are gathered and analyzed to determine what action, if any, is warranted," Army said in a statement on Dec. 17.

Comment

Working...
      X