No announcement yet.

Police records detail more violence allegations against Baylor football players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police records detail more violence allegations against Baylor football players

Police records detail several more violence allegations against Baylor football players
    WACO, Texas -- As Baylor University's board of regents reviews a law firm's findings about the school's response to sexual violence allegations -- many involving its football players -- Outside the Lines has obtained documents that detail largely unknown allegations of sexual assault, domestic violence and other acts of violence involving several Baylor football players.

According to the police documents, at least some Baylor officials, including coaches, knew about many of the incidents, and most players did not miss playing time for disciplinary reasons. None of the incidents has been widely reported in the media.

In one case from 2011, an assault at an off-campus event in Waco ended with three football players being charged as well as Baylor and Waco police discussing the incident. Waco police, according to documents, took extraordinary steps to keep it from the public view "given the potential high-profile nature of the incident." According to a police report obtained by Outside the Lines, Waco's investigating officer asked a commander that "the case be pulled from the computer system so that only persons who had a reason to inquire about the report would be able to access it." The report was placed in a locked office.

In another case, a sexual assault allegation against a former star player has remained in Waco police's open-case status for four years, which, under Texas open records laws, effectively shields the case's details from public view. The player and the alleged victim deny any assault took place, and in a separate criminal investigation, Waco police noted that officers had dealt with the woman as part of other allegations she had made against various people and concluded she was "deceptive."

Baylor has been under scrutiny for months about how it has handled sexual assaults involving athletes. In the fall of 2015, Baylor hired Philadelphia law firm Pepper Hamilton to review its past treatment of sexual assault claims. The review has not yet been completed, but Baylor's board of regents was given a preliminary update on findings on Friday. Outside the Lines attempted to reach more than a dozen members of Baylor's board of regents about the report this week and last; none returned multiple phone messages and emails.

When reached for comment, a Baylor spokeswoman issued a statement, which reads in part: "We are certain the actions that result from this deliberative process will yield improvements across a variety of areas that rebuild and reinforce confidence in our university. We are saddened when any student, including a student-athlete, acts in a manner inconsistent with Baylor's mission or is a victim of such behavior."

Among the developments that have drawn attention to Baylor:
    • In January, Outside the Lines reported several examples in which school officials either failed to investigate, or adequately investigate, allegations of sexual violence. In many cases, officials did not provide support to those who reported assaults, in apparent violation of Title IX federal law. The story reported that former defensive end Tevin Elliott was suspected of four sexual assaults and one attempted assault from 2009 through 2012 and was found guilty of one sexual assault. Former defensive end Sam Ukwuachu was accused of sexually assaulting a Baylor soccer player in 2013 and found guilty.

• In April, Outside the Lines reported that Baylor did not investigate a sexual assault report made against football players Tre'Von Armstead and Shamycheal Chatman for more than two years, despite the school's obligation to do so under federal law. They never faced charges.

• Last month, former defensive end Shawn Oakman was charged with sexually assaulting a Baylor graduate student. He had been investigated in 2013 for assaulting an ex-girlfriend, who at the time declined to press charges.

• Baylor took more than three years to comply with a federal directive to hire a full-time Title IX coordinator, which it eventually did in fall 2014.
    In one of the recently discovered cases, an alleged victim who was a Baylor student told Outside the Lines that she notified football team chaplain Wes Yeary about what she had reported to Waco police in April 2014: that her boyfriend, a Bears football player, had physically assaulted her on two occasions. The woman said Baylor football coach Art Briles and university President Ken Starr also were told of her allegations. The woman told Outside the Lines that neither Briles nor the university disciplined her ex-boyfriend.

The woman told Outside the Lines she didn't press criminal charges against him because she was about to graduate and didn't think the school would punish him. She said investigators from Pepper Hamilton have not contacted her.

"I'd seen other girls go through it, and nothing ever happened to the football players," she said. "It's mind-boggling to see it continue to happen. I can't understand why. I think as long as they're catching footballs and scoring touchdowns, the school won't do anything."

Despite being a private school, Baylor is required by the federal Title IX statute to investigate allegations of sexual violence thoroughly and to provide security, counseling services and academic help to those who report assaults. Part of the law's goal is to help keep victims in school.

It's unclear whether any Title IX investigations were initiated in the most recent cases Outside the Lines has uncovered. Outside the Lines discovered the cases by requesting a database of all sexual assault and assault cases over a six-year period from Waco police and matching names found in them to Baylor rosters from 2011 through 2015. A similar request was submitted to Baylor police, but that request has not been fulfilled.

In the April 2014 case, a woman told Waco police that Bears running back Devin Chafin grabbed her arm and slammed it against a car, in front of teammates and another witness. She provided photos of bruises on her arm to police. She told police that, weeks earlier, Chafin had grabbed her by the throat and slammed her against a wall, then threw her to the floor and kicked her, according to a police report.

McLane Stadium, home to the Baylor football team. ESPN

In the police report, the officer wrote that the woman was uncertain about pressing charges, and no legal action was taken. Chafin played in nine of 13 games the following season, including the season opener.

Chafin, who was charged with marijuana possession in March and suspended by Briles immediately for spring practice and then reinstated to the team, could not be reached for comment.

In April 2012, a woman told Waco police that when she tried to break up with her boyfriend, Baylor cornerback Tyler Stephenson, he twice lured her to his apartment and then, according to the report, violently restrained her, refusing to let her leave or let her use her phone. "He then pushed me on the couch and wrestled me for my phone so that I couldn't call for help," she told police. Once outside, she said she tried again to call 911, when "he charged me and picked me up and threw me against the [exterior] apartment wall. I hit my head and immediately felt dizzy," and she screamed for help.

After pulling the woman's hair and trying to take her phone in the parking lot, Stephenson fled after three men started to approach him, according to the police report. Police spoke to a witness who saw the two fighting outside and confirmed the woman's account. An officer prepared an arrest warrant for Stephenson but closed the case when the woman did not return several phone messages.

It's unclear whether Stephenson faced any discipline from coaches: He played in two games during the 2012 season, after a prior season plagued with injuries. Outside the Lines reached Stephenson through social media, but he did not respond to a request for comment.

Although Waco police closed the case involving Stephenson when they couldn't reach the victim, they have kept active for four years a sexual assault allegation against former Baylor All-American safety Ahmad Dixon. As long as the case is open, it's shielded from public disclosure, though the Outside the Lines public records request resulted in police providing the cover page of the police report.

Dixon told Outside the Lines this week the woman made up the allegation because she was angry with him. The woman, who initially denied to Outside the Lines she was the same person who reported the incident to police, later acknowledged trying to get Dixon in trouble by filing the report. In June 2015, the woman made a domestic violence allegation against another player, and in that report, Waco police noted that she and her family have a long criminal history with the police department and that her accounts toward Dixon and the other football player were not believable. In June 2011, there was another domestic violence case involving Dixon and the woman, the result of a 911 call made by a neighbor who said he saw Dixon pull the woman's hair and push her into a car; both Dixon and woman deny that happened.

The woman told Outside the Lines she couldn't remember details of what she told police about the alleged sexual assault; Dixon said she simply stopped responding to Waco police when they pressed her on the details of the January 2012 allegation.

Despite the apparent inactivity, a Waco police spokesman this week told Outside the Lines he could not say why the allegation against Dixon remains an active case.

Dixon said he doesn't know how his football coaches found out about the sexual assault report, but an assistant coach called him within a day of the incident happening. "They told me there wasn't much that they could do other than to tell me to go to the police station and go from there," he said. "That they couldn't do much to me about it."

One widely reported case involving Dixon happened in September 2013, when he was arrested for misdemeanor assault after he allegedly punched a man who Dixon believed had stolen his television. A grand jury declined to indict Dixon.

The incident became an issue on the field months later when Dixon was ejected from a game against TCU for a targeting hit against Horned Frogs quarterback Trevone Boykin. In his postgame news conference, TCU coach Gary Patterson referenced the arrest and the fact that Briles did not suspend Dixon.

Dixon "beats a guy up at the beginning of the season and doesn't get suspended," Patterson said. "He takes a shot, and I want him kicked out. ... I've got a guy [Dixon] who's laughing into the camera on the sideline. I've got a guy [Boykin] that can't come into the game for a play. That's not what I call class."

Dixon earned All-America honors that season. In 2014, the Dallas Cowboys took him in the seventh round of the NFL draft. He bounced to the Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears, where he played in five games. He is currently a free agent.

Dixon had also been part of a series of fights in May 2011 at a university-approved party. He was not arrested or charged but acknowledges hitting someone; three Baylor football players were charged.

According to police, three separate fights within the same dispute occurred at an off-campus Baylor recreation center involving what the five victims said were 20 to 25 football players. One was Dixon, who was accused of starting the fight by punching a fraternity member who had tried to stop him from breaking into a line dance. Police didn't question Dixon, but several of the victims told officers he was a key instigator.

Dixon told Outside the Lines on Tuesday that he had punched the fraternity member, something he also said he'd told Baylor's judicial affairs investigators when they looked into what happened. "When things came back to the Baylor officials, I took my fault for landing a punch at him at first," he said. But he said the man later confronted him, and that second fight, which drew several people into a brawl, was more mutually caused.

After that fight was broken up, another involving many of the same people occurred outside. In that fight, a previously uninvolved Baylor student told police he was trying to get to his car when a group of people went after him.

The student told police at least three football players were part of the group that hit him, and it only stopped when nearby women urged the players to do so. He identified the three who hit him as defensive lineman Gary Mason, running back Isaac Williams and Stephenson. And while the athletes disagree on which of them hit him and when, statements to police and interviews conducted by Outside the Lines confirm that the student never threw a punch or made any physical advance.

Baylor University took nearly three years to comply with a federal directive to hire a Title IX coordinator. ESPN

"The young guy, I know that he had nothing to do with it. I didn't see [him] in the party or in the foyer fighting," Dixon told Outside the Lines.

The officer, who spoke to the student in the hospital, wrote in his report that the victim "had major damage to the front of his face. His bottom lip was swollen twice the size of what it would normally be as well as about three to four teeth were knocked to the point that they were loose and leaning over."

In the report, an officer wrote that the student didn't tell police what had happened when they first saw him hours after the assault. "I asked why and he ... told me that he figured because they were football players then nothing was going to be done anyway. I asked him why he thought that and he said that he has heard anecdotal stories of football players getting into altercations or disturbances and nothing ever being done."

On June 23, 2011, Waco police arrested Mason and Stephenson on charges of misdemeanor assault. Williams, who was in California, turned himself in on July 19. But the McLennan County District Attorney's Office declined to prosecute the case. Mason and Williams could not be reached for comment. The student died on Aug. 8, 2012, because of unrelated factors, and his mother declined comment on Tuesday.

According to Dixon and the police report, Williams was suspended from the football team until July. Dixon said Baylor officials made him perform community service, and coaches had him do extra running at practice and cleanup duty in the weight room as punishment.

The police report from the incident was locked in a Waco Police Department office after an officer had discussed it with Baylor police. Waco police noted in the report that a Baylor officer had provided some information about the football players and their phone numbers and had contacted them to say the school was aware of the incident and that "there were supposed to be some administrative level meetings taking place concerning it, given that it was a university-approved function."

Waco police spokesman Patrick Swanton told Outside the Lines on Tuesday that detectives can pull certain cases from public view for privacy concerns and that it has happened before in cases that have no ties to Baylor.

"Was this done specifically because this was a Baylor case and because it involved Baylor football players? I can't tell you that," he said. He said Waco police do not have a policy to contact Baylor officials when they suspect a student in a crime; he said there are times when it is appropriate, but doing so does not yield special treatment.

"If you break the law and we have probable cause to arrest you, it doesn't matter if you're a football player," Swanton said. "We're not going to give you leeway."
    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Baylor Details ‘Horrifying’ Alleged Sexual Assaults by Football Players

University regents offer for the first time the detailed findings of an outside investigation

WallStreetJournal.com
    The sexual-violence scandal at Baylor University that cost its celebrated football coach his job involved 17 women who reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players, including four alleged gang rapes, since 2011, according to Baylor regents.

Baylor fired coach Art Briles in May for failing to deal with sexual-violence allegations involving his squad, but provided only a vague description of the alleged improprieties at the time. Legions of fans and donors rallied to his cause.

Now, in interviews with The Wall Street Journal, regents who oversee the university are offering for the first time publicly more detailed findings from an outside investigation conducted by Philadelphia law firm Pepper Hamilton LLP. The probe showed some Baylor players allegedly participated in what one regent calls a “horrifying and painful” series of assaults over several years.

In at least one case, Baylor regents said, Mr. Briles knew about an alleged incident and didn’t alert police, the school’s judicial-affairs staff or the Title IX office in charge of coordinating the school’s response to sexual violence.

The disclosures will likely reignite the sexual-assault scandal that for months has swirled around the private Baptist university, which currently boasts the eighth-ranked football team in the country.

Alumni and critics of Baylor’s handling of sexual violence on campus have clamored for more information about why Baylor fired not only Mr. Briles but the school’s high-profile president, former prosecutor Kenneth Starr.

“There was a cultural issue there that was putting winning football games above everything else, including our values,” said J. Cary Gray,a lawyer and member of the Baylor board of regents. More broadly, he said, “we did not have a caring community when it came to these women who reported that they were assaulted. And that is not OK.”

Mr. Gray said he has heard many people defend Mr. Briles as a person and coach who “just wanted to be in the offensive boardroom drawing up plays. That is not the job for the head coach of a college football program. It is a big business. It is a complex organization that involves millions of dollars, and you have got to have an effective CEO in that role.”

Ernest Cannon of Stephenville, Texas, Mr. Briles’s lawyer, said Baylor appeared to be violating a nondisparagement clause that was part of the agreement the coach signed with the school in June in which the sides agreed not to litigate the terms of his departure. Mr. Cannon said Mr. Briles never discouraged any victims from filing claims against players.

Mr. Cannon said he couldn’t respond to Baylor’s latest claims because neither he nor Mr. Briles was given details of the allegations, including what players were allegedly involved and the circumstances of the complaints. Mr. Briles couldn’t be reached for comment.

Mr. Cannon said the regents are trying to hold Mr. Briles responsible for the university’s broader failure to implement a rigorous Title IX program, which has resulted in a raft of litigation unrelated to the football program.

“They are pulling their own house down to justify the mistakes they made,” Mr. Cannon said. “He’s the football coach. That’s not his job [to enforce Title IX]. That’s their job.”

Mr. Briles has acknowledged in television interviews that he made “mistakes” and said that he wants to return to coaching. He is often mentioned as a candidate for high-profile coaching jobs that could be open next year.

Two former Baylor football players have been convicted of sexual assault in the past four years, and a third, Shawn Oakman, is under indictment. He has pleaded not guilty. Baylor also is facing lawsuits from more than a dozen former students alleging the school turned a blind eye to reports of sexual assault over many years. Baylor has declined to comment about those cases.

Mr. Starr, who joined Baylor in 2010, left this summer in what was termed a “mutually agreed separation.” He has criticized the board’s lack of transparency regarding the sexual-assault scandal and has said he was never briefed on the findings the school is now releasing.

The scandal comes amid heightened concerns nationwide about sexual violence on campus. It is especially damaging for Baylor, which has long been a haven for Christian families seeking a sheltered collegiate environment for their sons and daughters. Drinking alcohol and premarital sex are banned by the Baylor student code of conduct.

Mr. Briles took over a downtrodden Baylor football program in 2008 and in less than a decade transformed it into a national power. By 2015, Mr. Briles was making more than $5 million a year, making him the highest-paid Baylor employee. The team, which is undefeated this year under interim coach Jim Grobe, plays rival University of Texas on Saturday.

On May 24, two days before the board said it planned to fire Mr. Briles, he addressed regents in a conference room in an office tower across the Brazos River from the $266 million football stadium that opened in 2014.

Baylor regents said that when Mr. Briles was asked what he would have done differently, he broke down and wept. Many board members began to cry as well.

“He couldn’t speak he was so upset, and all of us were,” Mr. Gray said. “Art said, ‘I delegated down, and I know I shouldn’t have. And I had a system where I was the last to know, and I should have been the first to know.’ ”

Mr. Cannon said Mr. Briles quoted Scripture and expressed his regrets over the painful situation Baylor was in, but didn’t admit to wrongdoing.

The board members said their decision to fire Mr. Briles wasn’t merely because of the school’s requirements under Title IX, the federal law that has increased the requirements on universities to police sexual violence on campus.

“As he heard information, what did he do with it? From a moral standpoint, what is the right thing to do?” said Ron Murff, a Dallas businessman who is chairman of the board of regents.

In one of the alleged gang rapes, the victim, who also was an athlete, told her coach that she didn’t want to go the police. When notified of the allegation, Mr. Briles told the victim’s coach that he hoped she would go to the police, according to people familiar with the matter. One person close to the victim said she viewed Mr. Briles as supportive of her claim. However, Mr. Briles didn’t notify the school’s judicial-affairs office or the Title IX office, these people said.

Baylor regents said that the board reviewed evidence, including text messages and emails between the alleged victims and the players, that supported the sexual-assault accusations, but that the probe didn’t attempt to conclusively substantiate all of the allegations.

In recent months, many prominent Baylor alumni have argued that the school needed to deal with sexual violence better, but that the football program was being unfairly singled out.

“The board panicked,” said Gale Galloway, an Austin businessman and former chairman of the Baylor board of regents.

Earlier this month, Baylor’s former Title IX coordinator, Patty Crawford, resigned from the school and alleged that, before and after the Pepper Hamilton probe, university officials impeded her efforts to tackle what she said was a campuswide issue not isolated to football.

In response to those arguments, Mr. Gray said, “football is just a fraction, but it is a bad fraction.”

Football players were involved in 10.4% of Title IX-reported incidents in the four-year period ending in 2014-15, Baylor said. The U.S. Department of Education said last week it is investigating Ms. Crawford’s complaint.

It is unclear whether Baylor’s additional disclosures will quell alumni dissatisfaction. Mr. Galloway is among a group of well-connected alumni who have met to explore options for changing the way the university is governed, according to people familiar with the matter.

Drayton McLane, a billionaire businessman whose name is on the Baylor football stadium, and other large donors asked the board for a private briefing on why the regents took such drastic action. Mr. Murff, chairman of the regents, declined to give them details of the investigation.

“They were very cold,” Mr. McLane said in an interview, adding that the controversy won’t affect his giving to Baylor and that he “just wants to understand the decisions that were made.”

Mr. Murff said other wealthy alumni suggested they would withhold millions of dollars if Baylor didn’t bring Mr. Briles back.

“It was all about football,” Mr. Murff said. “My response was that we felt like our fiduciary duty was to uphold the mission of the university. That was the primary objective. It was not just to win football games.”
    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Attorney: Regents try to make Briles scapegoat for broader failures

WACO, Texas (KWTX) Baylor University regents are trying to make former football coach Art Briles the scapegoat for broader Title IX failures while he’s bound by agreements that don’t allow him to defend himself, Briles’ attorney said Monday.

And the Baylor Line Foundation, a local lawyer who represents 10 women in lawsuits against the school stemming from alleged sexual assaults, and an attorney who represents the school’s former Title IX coordinator, all have questions about the regents’ decision to talk to major media organizations about details the school has maintained for months it could not release.

The Wall Street Journal, quoting regents who heretofore haven’t commented publicly about specific findings, reported Friday that the scandal that engulfed the school’s football program involved 17 women who reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players including four gang rapes since 2011.

Baylor has maintained since May that it couldn’t provide any details about the specific cases in which Pepper Hamilton found university and athletic department failures, but five months later, apparently acting on advice of the Los Angeles PR firm G.F. Bunting+Co., made selected regents available for interviews with the Journal, the New York Times, USA Today and Showtime’s “60 Minutes Sports.”

“The Wall Street Journal article is a narrative and storyline created by Baylor University's newly hired public relations firm G.F. Bunting+Co. working behind the scenes to place ideas in the media to make Coach Briles a scapegoat for much broader Title IX failures when Coach Briles cannot publicly defend himself because of confidentiality agreements demanded by Baylor,” Stephenville lawyer Ernest Cannon said in an email Monday.

“The public relations firm invented a number of "sexual assaults" and "gang rapes" falsely attributed to Baylor football players is consistent with the…firm’s obvious attempts to smear the reputation of not only Coach Briles, but also the reputations of former Title IX coordinator Patty Crawford, the Waco Police, and Baylor Police Departments,” he said.

“How ironic from an institution that is promoting transparency,” said Cannon, who represented Briles in settlement negotiations after regents voted on May 28 to fire Briles, reassign Chancellor and President Ken Starr and suspend athletic director Ian McCaw.

Briles and Starr have since reached settlements with the school.

McCaw remains on the Baylor payroll, but is no longer working.

One prominent regent who was present when attorneys from the Pepper Hamilton law firm briefed the board in May about the findings of its investigation of the school’s handling of sexual assault complaints says only a handful of the allegations were proven.

“The vast majority of those allegations presented did not have facts to support them,” the regent said.

The regent spoke on condition of anonymity.

The Baylor Line Foundation, formerly the Baylor Alumni Association, also raised questions Monday about the claims made in the Wall Street Journal story.

“Some members of the board of regents have given media interviews that seem to be a part of a carefully orchestrated public relations campaign to validate their staffing decisions rather than explaining what happened directly to the Baylor family,” the organization said in a statement Monday.

“The Baylor Line Foundation has long believed that a full accounting must be given directly to the Baylor Family, not just selected news media (no matter how credible they might be). We agree that the privacy of those who have filed complaints must be protected, but there are many unanswered questions that have nothing to do with the primary goal of protecting the survivors,” the group said.

The foundation also questioned the timing of the release of the information to the newspaper.

“Some regents chose to disclose details about the numbers of sexual assault complaints and the number of football team members accused just hours before a key road game,” the group said.

Baylor lost to Texas in Austin 35-34 Saturday, a day after the article was published.

Rogge Dunn, the Dallas-based attorney representing former Title IX Coordinator Patty Crawford, also believes the regents’ comments are an attempt to appear transparent, while offering little.

"Baylor has changed its PR strategy and is now allowing select members of the board of Regents to comment,” Dunn told KWTX Monday.

“What is needed is full transparency. The public will never get the full story until the decision makers at Baylor are forced to testify under oath and Baylor's computers are examined by a forensic expert."

On Friday two more women were added to a sexual assault Title IX lawsuit against the university.

Waco attorney Jim Dunnam is representing the 10 plaintiffs and said the allegations of about eight of them have nothing to do with the school’s football program, leaving him to wonder why the administration isn’t focused on itself.

"It is clear this is not a just a football problem,’ Dunnam told KWTX.

“If the regents pulling the strings are right, (and) 18 football players represent 10 percent of the assaults, then do the regents really believe the other non-football 160 assaults are acceptable?” Dunnam said.

“Are other young Baylor victims relevant? Who is responsible for the other 160?" Dunnam asked.

Briles is not named in any of the suits that Dunnam has filed to date.

“We’ve made no specific allegations against him, at this time," Dunnam said.

To date three players have been charged with sexual assault.

Two have been convicted and a fourth has been charged with stalking in an incident involving a former girlfriend.

No one has been charged in any of the four gang rapes to which the regents referred in their interview with the newspaper, and none of the regents to whom KWTX has talked over the past months ever made any mention of four gang rapes.

The Wall Street Journal article cited one case in which regents told the paper that Briles knew about an alleged incident and failed to alert police, the university’s judicial affairs staff or a Title IX officer, but sources with knowledge of the situation say that incident didn’t involve a sexual or domestic assault, but instead a freshman recruit who was cited after he was found walking with an open can of beer.

KWTX has been able to find documentation in only two cases characterized as gang rapes, in neither of which did the women involved want to press charges.

Both occurred before the university established its Title IX Office in 2014.

The first, in 2012, involved a female athlete who reported the incident nine months later, in May 2013, to her head coach.

Sources with knowledge of the Pepper Hamilton presentation to the board say the firm’s lawyers discussed that incident in great detail.

The woman’s coach first told Athletic Director Ian McCaw and then on McCaw’s advice, advised Briles, and then informed Judicial Affairs at Baylor, which told the coach nothing could be done because the woman did not want to pursue the incident further.

The woman left Baylor the next day without ever filing a police report or formal complaint.

Four players were allegedly involved in the incident, but by the time it was reported three had left the school and the fourth had been suspended for an unrelated incident and never played another down, KWTX has learned.

The woman’s coach later said in a statement that KWTX obtained that Briles urged him to tell the player to report the incident and hold players responsible if they were guilty of such a crime.

“I think Coach Briles handled the matter honorably and with the serious attention it deserved,” the coach said in the statement.

The second incident occurred in April 2013, and allegedly involved two players. It was reported to Waco police, who interviewed the woman involved and collected evidence.

But, according to police reports obtained by KWTX, the woman, whom a police investigator said was “highly intoxicated” and “very elusive in her answers,” was initially “adamant that nothing had happened and that she had not been sexually assaulted.”

Two days later she told an investigator “she did not wish to press charges against the two,” whom she identified as Samycheal Chatman and Tre’Von Armstead.

The Waco police reports show that an investigating officer contacted Baylor about the incident shortly after it occurred, but KWTX has learned that Briles wasn’t told about the incident until Sept. 11, 2015, after Pepper Hamilton investigators discovered it.

Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Reagan Ramsower, who oversees the Baylor Department of Public Safety, told “CBS 60 Minutes Sports” that the report about the incident was in the hands of campus police for more than a year.

By that time, Chatman was gone.

Armstead never worked out with the team or played again, but remained in school until he transferred at mid-term.

Neither player was ever charged.

Offense reports on the school’s website involving incidents on and off campus show five forcible sex offenses in 2013, five rapes and one case of fondling in 2014 and 23 rapes and 3 cases of fondling in 2015.

The school does not include data from 2012, but a Department of Education report shows one off-campus **** was reported that year, and that none was reported in 2013.

Simple assaults and domestic violence incidents are included in the data, but during the four-year period, the school reported a total of 11 aggravated assaults, according to the offense data.

The university told the paper that football players were involved in 10.4 percent of Title IX reported incidents in those four years, which suggests that members of the team were linked to only four alleged sexual offenses.

Tevin Elliot was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, for assaulting a former Baylor student in 2012. Elliot was kicked off the team shortly after the team learned about the first sexual assault allegation, in April of 2012, three days before he was arrested and charged with the crime.

Sam Ukwuachu was convicted in 2015 of assaulting a former Baylor soccer player in 2013. Ukwuachu transferred from Boise State to play football at Baylor after he was dismissed from that team in May of 2013.

Rami Hammad, offensive lineman for the Bears in 2015, was accused by a student of sexually assaulting her in his apartment early in the fall semester of that year.

Sources close to the football team said that Rami was cleared by Title IX in that case.

After the season, Hammad was charged with felony stalking in an incident involving his ex-girlfriend.

And former Baylor football standout Shawn Oakman, whose hopes of being picked up in the NFL draft were derailed by his April 13 arrest on a sexual assault charge, was indicted in July by the McLennan County Grand Jury.

No other players or former players have been charged.

Board of Regents Chairman Ronald Murff and Regent J. Cary Gray, a Houston lawyer, talked to the newspaper.

Gray has refused to talk to KWTX previously and when asked earlier to comment on KWTX reports, hung up on the reporter.

Murff suggested to the newspaper that he had a “fiduciary duty to uphold the mission of the university, adding it was not just to win football games.”

KWTX has learned that the university has paid out millions in settlements with former employees, including an estimated $15 million to Briles, as well as with some of the plaintiffs who filed lawsuits stemming from the sexual assault allegations.

Comment

New Baylor lawsuit alleges 52 rapes by football players in 4 years, 'show 'em a good time' culture

DallasMorningNews
        A Baylor University graduate who says she was raped by football players in 2013 sued the university Friday. Her lawsuit includes an allegation that 31 Baylor football players committed 52 acts of rape, including five gang rapes, between 2011 and 2014 -- an estimate that far exceeds the number previously provided by school officials.

The woman, identified in the suit as Elizabeth Doe, reports being brutally gang raped by then-Baylor football players Tre'Von Armstead and Shamycheal Chatman after a party on April 18, 2013.

Those football players were previously named as suspects in a police report for a rape on that date, but were never charged.

The woman, who graduated from Baylor in 2014, has sued Baylor for Title IX violations and negligence.

A Baylor spokeswoman declined to comment Friday.

John Clune, the Colorado attorney representing Doe, released a statement Friday saying that his team appreciates what Baylor has done to try to fix the sexual assault problem on campus. But, he said, "this is one that needed to be filed."

"As hard as the events at Baylor have been for people to hear, what went on there was much worse than has been reported," he said.

One of the woman's alleged attackers -- Chatman -- was accused of rape once before, the suits says, but the university failed to intervene. In that case, the suit says, a student athletic trainer reported that Chatman raped her at his off-campus apartment, so the university moved the trainer to a female sports team and agreed to pay for her education in exchange for a non-disclosure agreement.

The lawsuit describes a culture of sexual violence under former Baylor football coach Art Briles, in which the school implemented a "show 'em a good time" policy that "used sex to sell" the football program to recruits

Former assistant coach Kendal Briles -- the son of the head coach -- once told a Dallas area student athlete, "Do you like white women? Because we have a lot of them at Baylor and they love football players," according to the suit.

Investigation by lawyers identified at least 52 "acts of rape," including five gang rapes, by 31 football players from 2011 to 2014. At least two of the gang rapes were committed by 10 or more players at one time, the suit states.

This contrasts with figures Baylor officials have provided after the Pennsylvania-based law firm Pepper Hamilton conducted an investigation into how the university handled sexual assault. Regents told The Wall Street Journal in October that they were aware of 17 women who reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players, including four alleged gang rapes, since 2011.

Tonya Lewis, the Baylor spokeswoman, declined to respond to specific questions about Baylor's knowledge of the prior sexual assault allegedly in the suit, the scope of the Pepper Hamilton investigation or whether the university stands by the numbers it originally provided.

Doe applied to Baylor, the world's largest Baptist university, because of its Christian-centered approach to education. She enrolled in 2010, with the intention to pursue a degree in medicine, and in 2012, joined the Baylor Bruins, a group that hosts prospective athletes during visits, the suit states.

On April 18, 2013, according to the lawsuit, Doe attended a party at the home of former Baylor defensive end Shawn Oakman, who has since been charged with sexual assault in an unrelated incident.

Doe became intoxicated at the party and apparently returned home with Armstead and Chatman. When her roommate's boyfriend arrived later that night, the suit says, he heard "what sounded like wrestling and a fist hitting someone," a loud bang and a woman saying "no."

When the boyfriend asked if everything was OK, one of the men inside yelled that Doe "was fine." Armstead and Chatman then emerged from the room, and the boyfriend saw Doe partially unclothed on the floor. The woman had a bruise on her cheek and a bite mark on her neck, according to the suit.

Before police arrived, a fellow Baylor Bruin came over -- apparently already aware of what happened -- and instructed Doe to tell police she had "consensual sex with one white male" to protect the athletes, the suit alleges. It cites a Title IX investigation into the incident, which later showed that Chatman had called the Bruin and given her the "assignment."
        Last edited by H2O4me; 01-27-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X