Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Running Back

    This class is pretty weak at the RB position, and 2009 will be loaded. We can pick one in the middle rounds this year, and take one next year in the 1st round.

    Cory Boyd
    Benjarvus Green Ellis

    Both are somewhat similar to Ahman Green. Similar size 6' 220lbs give or take and similar speed in the 4.5-4.55 area. Boyd has some serious receiving skills and can catch it out of the backfield with the best of them. He really does remind me of Ahman. Benjarvus is a little tougher runner and isnt a big play threat, but he'd be a solid pickup in the 5-6th rounds.

  • #2
    -Darren McFadden
    -Jonathon Stewart
    -Allen Patrick
    -Felix Jones
    -Ray Rice
    -Ryan Torain
    -Mike Hart
    -Steve Slaton

    yeah that's a pretty weak RB draft pool there..........
    I need about three fitty.
    some football MMO http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=32187443

    Comment


    • #3
      there arent a whole lotta fast backs...and half the guys the guy up there mentioned are juniors. patrick, hart, torain...not 1st rounders. mcfadden and stewart are the only 1st round locks...thats how weak this class is. and plus, these guys arent "slow." they just arent burners. there are very few burners in this class anyways.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm with Andre, I want a guy with some speed. Adrian Peterson is doing great this year and has the size/speed combination that makes you drool, but he was a high draft pick. This is something we shouldn't end up having. I have heard sports commentators say that this year's RB class isn't the strongest also. Why not pick a serviceable guy up in the mid to late rounds and really go after a solid running back after next year?

        I think our secondary and O-Line needs are just to glaring and that is where we should go in the early rounds.

        Comment


        • #5
          if we carry three backs next year like this year it should be...

          Green
          Taylor
          Walker

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jvaldez1984 View Post
            if we carry three backs next year like this year it should be...

            Green
            Taylor
            Walker
            So, you don't think we'll draft one? And you think Green can stay healthy?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by foozball View Post
              there arent a whole lotta fast backs...and half the guys the guy up there mentioned are juniors. patrick, hart, torain...not 1st rounders. mcfadden and stewart are the only 1st round locks...thats how weak this class is. and plus, these guys arent "slow." they just arent burners. there are very few burners in this class anyways.

              ray rice is not a 1st rounder?
              I need about three fitty.
              some football MMO http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=32187443

              Comment


              • #8
                i dont know that he is. he might not even declare. he's 5'9 195lbs and he runs in the 4.5 area.

                here's my reasoning for Cory Boyd. he has size at 6'1 215lbs and he has good hands in the receiving game. he's not going to be a feature back unless he's in the right system, and i don't think we should be looking for a starting RB with green anyways.

                next year we'd be with green, boyd, and taylor/gado. then in 2009, when green is in the 3rd year of his 4 year contract, we can draft a guy who has some speed like jamaal charles, felix jones, james davis, brandon ore, ray rice (if he stays), marlon lucky...a bunch of guys.

                thats assuming green is on his last legs, which he probably will be. then we'd be with a 1st round RB and Boyd as a the backup and. we could cut green or something, i dunno.

                in any case, we aren't going to pick a 1st round RB in 2008. the FS class is just as thin, and has even less depth. Reggie Smith is the 1st round pick in 2008 if he declares, which he probably will because of the lack of talent in this class.

                Comment


                • #9
                  In the 1st round for offense I'd like to see either a RB or a LT.
                  In the 1st round for defense I'd like to see a FS or a CB. (possibly an OLB)

                  These, I feel, are our most glaring needs and the potential of having quality players at these positions in the 1st wherever we pick is there.

                  LT- We are all hoping Spencer comes back 100% and is our franchise LT. A quality LT in both run and pass blocking would really help our team.

                  RB
                  - Green is only a stop gap but I'm thrilled to have him. A twist of an ankle here or there shows you our non existent depth at RB. Dayne and Gado are both guys I like, but even I will admit its not pretty at all.

                  Since this thread is about Running Backs I'll expand. I really am not familiar with many of the RB's that may declare...as far as watching them during games. Jonathan Stewart has really impressed me and early indication is he'll go mid first +. Ray Rice is another guy I really want to watch more. Steve Slaton is a popular choice it seems and think he could be an option. The RB from Georgia I saw last weekend (Brown?) I was really impressed with. Apparently he's a 2nd day guy but I thought he was a solid runner with great moves.

                  I've seen limited amounts of the Nebraska Running backs, and Felix Jones..I want to pay more attention to them too. I see a lot of guys that are interesting and think we'll have plenty of options...especially if we trade down this year!

                  CB- our #2 spot doesn't look pretty. I really want to give Bennet a chance to earn that spot and think the kid could be it one day. He's not going to come in and dominate this year, but he may down the road...this is why I'm sketchy at cb in the 1st at this point.

                  FS- yes yes yes. If there is FS available that is darn near BPA I hope we take him. This would help out our cb's sooo much and make Faggins/Bennet look better. A lot of the blown assignements/coverage blamed on faggins is really cc's or hutchins fault.

                  DL- please not this year although we could be looking for a pass rushing DE.

                  LB- Willis and Ryans would have been awesome but Okoye is GREAT. If there are not any players in the other positions that grade out to our pick..I would consider a studly OLB. I think we're a lot better at LB depth than in the past but could use a LB thats good in coverage, blitzing, etc.



                  At the end of the day, we still have a lot of holes to fill, and RB to me is a big one. Will there be a decent guy in the third? maybe...but ray rice, jonathan stewart, and steve slaton are my top RB's as of now- and I will be watching them a lot
                  Proud adoptee of Jacoby Jones.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    anybody watching Boyd on espn? 12 for 50yd and 2 recp for 21 so far
                    Last edited by foozball; 10-04-2007, 09:37 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by foozball View Post
                      i dont know that he is. he might not even declare. he's 5'9 195lbs and he runs in the 4.5 area.


                      .
                      Ever heard of Maurice Jones Drew? MJD is 5'7 204. It would be a problem if he were 6'1 and only weighed 195,but not at 5'9 IMO. And just like Maurice he's stocky.

                      I heard Rice ran a 4.44 And when I watched him run he looks very fast. If he makes it past the 2nd I will be shocked.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by foozball View Post
                        there arent a whole lotta fast backs...and half the guys the guy up there mentioned are juniors. patrick, hart, torain...not 1st rounders. mcfadden and stewart are the only 1st round locks...thats how weak this class is. and plus, these guys arent "slow." they just arent burners. there are very few burners in this class anyways.
                        Are you saying that Felix Jones,Steve Slaton,and Ray Rice aren't burners? One of the coaches at WV said that Slaton is the fastest player in pads that he's ever seen. This class beat's last year's and next year's by a landslide. Most of these guys are first round talent but because this draft is so deep they won't get in. If any of them were in last year's draft they would have been 1st rounders.
                        Last edited by ReliantTexan; 10-04-2007, 10:39 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          oh they are, but not all of them will declare. ray rice is not a burner. he has above average speed, but he's no burner. mcfadden is a monster. slaton is a burner, and probably the only one worth taking in the 1st round. i never said there werent any burners, i said there are very few in this draft. we'd be better off waiting until 2009 to take a feature back.

                          felix jones will stay IMO. he's a 2nd rounder if he does come out
                          jamaal charles
                          james davis
                          ray rice (not sure what he's gonna do)
                          brandon ore
                          marlon lucky (he's gonna rise...#1 rated RB coming out of HS)
                          chris wells *
                          javarris james*
                          cj spiller *

                          pair one up with Cory Boyd and we've got a pretty good pair of RB's.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ReliantTexan View Post
                            Ever heard of Maurice Jones Drew? MJD is 5'7 204. It would be a problem if he were 6'1 and only weighed 195,but not at 5'9 IMO. And just like Maurice he's stocky.

                            I heard Rice ran a 4.44 And when I watched him run he looks very fast. If he makes it past the 2nd I will be shocked.
                            theres a big difference between 195 and 204 when you're that stocky. rice has good vision and he's shifty and elusive, but he doesnt run with the kind of power that jones drew does.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by foozball View Post
                              oh they are, but not all of them will declare. ray rice is not a burner. he has above average speed, but he's no burner. mcfadden is a monster. slaton is a burner, and probably the only one worth taking in the 1st round. i never said there werent any burners, i said there are very few in this draft. we'd be better off waiting until 2009 to take a feature back.

                              felix jones will stay IMO. he's a 2nd rounder if he does come out
                              jamaal charles
                              james davis
                              ray rice (not sure what he's gonna do)
                              brandon ore
                              marlon lucky (he's gonna rise...#1 rated RB coming out of HS)
                              chris wells *
                              javarris james*
                              cj spiller *

                              pair one up with Cory Boyd and we've got a pretty good pair of RB's.
                              But I don't know if we can wait that long. Our inability to run held us back last year and it looks the same this year. If Jonathan Stewart or Steve Slaton are there when we pick I would take either of them in a heartbeat.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X