Cordy Glenn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordy Glenn

In light of John McLain's statement that there is a good chance that they go OL in the first...

What would we have to give up to move up 3-4 spots to get him and would it be worth it?

I'm not sold on OL with the 1st pk but the draft is deep and all of our needs can be met in later rds. We took our biggest hit in free agency losing 2 of our starters on the OL and would be in trouble if we get hit with the Injury Bug again.

Glenn could come in and start day one in place of Brisell. He would also be able to play RT if Butler goes down. He is long, strong and athletic. He is a great pass and RUN blocker that has experience in a zone bloking scheme. Which is a huge plus!

Like I said... I am not sure if I would do it but I am curious what would it take and would you do it???
    You Gotta Believe!!!

my opinion... if we take a look at our recent history when it came to our o line, the majority of our starters and solid back ups, we all drafted in the mid rounds or were previously drafted in the mid rounds. Duane Brown is the only 1st rounder.

Which brings me to my 2nd point, not to devalue any other position on the O line but the blind side, LT position is the most important of the O line positions. Not to devalue the O line position as a whole but i would only use a 1st round draft pick on a LT because i believe there are quality starters found in later rounds.

and my last point, not only do we have Duane Brown as an exceptional LT, i don't see Cordy Glenn at LT. I think he is definitely a RT or a guard and as i mentioned, not worth a 1st round pick and definitely not worth trading up for.

In my opinion i feel as though Caldwell and Butler will be solid at RG and RT. I think they will be solid starters. If we need insurance, we need to look at free agency to find solid depth. I don't find it a good value to draft a back up lineman in the early rounds, maybe as high as 3rd. I feel as though the Texans do a good job finding lineman who are productive and who fit our system in later rounds.

Comment

As we get closer to the draft and as I study the more serious mocks, Cordy Glenn is the type of player that could slide to #26 in this draft. If this happens he could very well be the BPA on the board when the Texans pick. Glenn is one of those unique individuals of size and weight who can run extremely well. At 6'5" and 345 lbs. Glenn plays extremely quick with amazingly fast feet. Glenn also has 35.5" inch arms and is extremely strong (31 bench reps) to go with this package. In addition Glenn has played OC,OG OT.

Glenn was a High School All American. In 2008 he was a Freshman All American. In 2010 & 2011 he was All American. In 4 years at Georgia, Glenn played in 52 games, starting in 50 of those games. If the Texans should be so lucky to have Glenn fall to #26 it should be very hard to pass on him.

With Duane Brown becoming a free agent next year and wanting a minimum of $8 million a year, along with a completely new right side on the offensive line, plus little depth it would be a mistake for the Texans to pass on Cordy Glenn. Cordy Glenn could be a 10 year pro bowl caliber eventually moving to LT.

If for some reason Stephen is still on the board early in the 2nd round the Texans should give strong consideration to trading up (picks #58 & #76) to #37 or #38 for Hill. If the Texans just walked away with Glenn and Hill I would consider the 2012 draft a success.
      Bob McNair -"Hire Eliot Wolf then get the heck out of the way."

Comment

Originally posted by Texian View Post
        As we get closer to the draft and as I study the more serious mocks, Cordy Glenn is the type of player that could slide to #26 in this draft. If this happens he could very well be the BPA on the board when the Texans pick. Glenn is one of those unique individuals of size and weight who can run extremely well. At 6'5" and 345 lbs. Glenn plays extremely quick with amazingly fast feet. Glenn also has 35.5" inch arms and is extremely strong (31 bench reps) to go with this package. In addition Glenn has played OC,OG OT.

Glenn was a High School All American. In 2008 he was a Freshman All American. In 2010 & 2011 he was All American. In 4 years at Georgia, Glenn played in 52 games, starting in 50 of those games. If the Texans should be so lucky to have Glenn fall to #26 it should be very hard to pass on him.

With Duane Brown becoming a free agent next year and wanting a minimum of $8 million a year, along with a completely new right side on the offensive line, plus little depth it would be a mistake for the Texans to pass on Cordy Glenn. Cordy Glenn could be a 10 year pro bowl caliber eventually moving to LT.

If for some reason Stephen is still on the board early in the 2nd round the Texans should give strong consideration to trading up (picks #58 & #76) to #37 or #38 for Hill. If the Texans just walked away with Glenn and Hill I would consider the 2012 draft a success.
        I don't see us passing either Cordy Glenn or Jonathan Martin if still available.
        https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

I do not see Cordy Glenn falling to us at 26 but if he did I would pass. I definately would not trade up for him. Jonathan Martin would be a better selection for the Texans.

In Boise St game Glenn gave up three sacks, had two penalties, and had alot of missed blocks. Despite what the "experts" claim I have seen no film that shows he moves well laterally, thus not a good fit IMO for ZBS. Just because he is huge and does not look that horrible running a forty does not mean he moves well.

He also bends to much at the waist to get low making it very difficult for him to recover. Glenn would fit a power man scheme very well IMO.

Comment

Exactly^^^ Seems Glenn and Martin are sliding a bit and the Texans from various reports are warming up to OL in the 1st. I would be fine with taking either Martin or Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by Kal El View Post
              my opinion... if we take a look at our recent history when it came to our o line, the majority of our starters and solid back ups, we all drafted in the mid rounds or were previously drafted in the mid rounds. Duane Brown is the only 1st rounder.

Which brings me to my 2nd point, not to devalue any other position on the O line but the blind side, LT position is the most important of the O line positions. Not to devalue the O line position as a whole but i would only use a 1st round draft pick on a LT because i believe there are quality starters found in later rounds.

and my last point, not only do we have Duane Brown as an exceptional LT, i don't see Cordy Glenn at LT. I think he is definitely a RT or a guard and as i mentioned, not worth a 1st round pick and definitely not worth trading up for.

In my opinion i feel as though Caldwell and Butler will be solid at RG and RT. I think they will be solid starters. If we need insurance, we need to look at free agency to find solid depth. I don't find it a good value to draft a back up lineman in the early rounds, maybe as high as 3rd. I feel as though the Texans do a good job finding lineman who are productive and who fit our system in later rounds.
              Don't think I could have said it any better. Heck they may have found a steal in the 7th last year with Newton. Anything is possible but I would be shocked if they took a lineman at #26.

Comment

Originally posted by lilbush View Post
                Exactly^^^ Seems Glenn and Martin are sliding a bit and the Texans from various reports are warming up to OL in the 1st. I would be fine with taking either Martin or Glenn.
                I see Glenn as a much better player than Charles Spencer, the Texans LT pick with 65th pick in the 2006 draft.

Comment

I really like Glenn. In fact in my first mock for us I wanted the following...
                  1st Glenn OT
                  2nd Zeitler OG
                  3rd McClellin OLB
                  4a Wolfe DE/DT
                  4b McNutt WR
                  5 Hilton WR/KR/PR
                  6 JK Schaffer ILB
                  7 Dunsmore FB/TE

Things have changed with regard to these players being there at our picks, so now this draft is not possible. But I thought adding Glenn and Zeitler would go a long way to replacing our OL losses. Now Glenn is projected at around 15-20, McClellin is a late 1st very early 2nd, Wolfe is showing 3rd or maybe even 2nd round,Hilton has moved to 3rd/4th, McNutt has fallen to 5th/6th, Zeitler is high 2nd, and Schaffer and Dunsmore are still late round picks.

Comment

This is former Steelers offensive line coach Larry Zerlein's assessment of Cordy Glenn. He graded him as a guard but says his best position is at RT. For what its worth, he has him rated below Silatolu and Zeitler and lists Glenn as a 2nd round prospect. Just one guys perspective though.

No. 3

Cordy Glenn, OT/OG, Georgia

Height: 6'5
                    Weight: 345
                    Arms: 35 3/4

•Plays with good strength
                    •Doesn't always sustain his run blocks
                    •Lacks flexibility which causes him to play high in running game
                    •Waist-bender
                    •Good size but stiffness will always be a concern
                    •Marginal quickness and re-direct is very average
                    •Good awareness
                    •Can definitely anchor but has balance issues.
                    •Was on ground way too often when I watched him play guard.
                    •Has issues with re-direct on the second level
                    Overall: Good strength and anchor, but stiffness will limit him inside at guard. His best position might end up being at right tackle. Not crazy about his upside in the NFL at guard as stiffness and inability to play with lower pad level could limit his ability to utilize his power. Looks like a second round prospect.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...fensive-guards

Comment

Just IMO, but I would not be thrilled with O line in the first or second.

Our O line is built on speed and quickness, not power. That makes what we look for in O linemen unique and other teams that run more power schemes pass on those players allowing them to fall into our laps in later rounds.

D. Brown will resign here, regardless of what we think of our FO, they aren't dumb enough to, in 2 years, lose 60% of our o line and both tackles.

Draft a guard and someone for RT in rounds 3-5 ish and go from there. We need our power weapons early.
                      Season ticket holder since day 1. Been waiting since day 1 for potential to turn into progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Wbattles87 View Post
                        D. Brown will resign here, regardless of what we think of our FO, they aren't dumb enough to, in 2 years, lose 60% of our o line and both tackles.
                        The Texans running game consist of 7 primary blockers. In just over a month the Texans have already lost over 60% of those starting primary blockers, Winston, Brisel, Dressen and Vickers. To make matters worse a large majority of the Texans running game was to the right side.

Comment

The Texans running game consist of 7 primary blockers. In just over a month the Texans have already lost over 60% of those starting primary blockers, Winston, Brisel, Dressen and Vickers. To make matters worse a large majority of the Texans running game was to the right side.
                          Casey will do fine as our starting FB, I have zero concerns there. People said the same thing when we lost Vonta Leach and that didn't seem to slow our running game too much.

The Winston loss will be felt in both the running and passing game, to think otherwise would be foolish. Butler can play, but the dropoff will be noticeable.

I think the difference between Brisiel and Caldwell will be minimal.

Glenn would be a great addition in the 1st. He would instantly upgrade our depth at Guard and Tackle, not to mention could outright win one of the jobs on the right side in camp.
                          Proud adopter of Kareem Jackson, Brice McCain and Glover Quin for the 2012 season...(q'.')-o

Comment

Let's not act like Vickers made a difference. He looked like a FB, but didn't play like one. I can see why cleveland let him go. We have our foundation with Myers and Brown in tact. We'll build around them and Foster will reach 1k again.
                            Evolve or Die

Comment

Originally posted by gcates View Post
                              Casey will do fine as our starting FB, I have zero concerns there. People said the same thing when we lost Vonta Leach and that didn't seem to slow our running game too much.

The Winston loss will be felt in both the running and passing game, to think otherwise would be foolish. Butler can play, but the dropoff will be noticeable.

I think the difference between Brisiel and Caldwell will be minimal.

Glenn would be a great addition in the 1st. He would instantly upgrade our depth at Guard and Tackle, not to mention could outright win one of the jobs on the right side in camp.
                              According to profootballfocus as good as Dressen and Vickers were at run blocking at their respective positions, Daniels and Casey were equally as bad at theirs. Dressen was 3rd best blocking TE, Daniels was 54th out of 63 TE graded. Vickers was the 10th best run blocking FB and Casey was 27th out of 29 FB graded. Agree about Winston, he was mauler in the running game and played better than most give him credit in the passing game.

Comment

Working...
                              X