Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VanderMocks 2017

VanderMock 1.0

It’s a tradition unlike any other (because no one else would bother). The annual VanderMock is here! Always celebrated by the front office (laughing is a form of celebration, right?)

For entertainment purposes, here are the picks…

Round 1 – Pat Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
    Pick #25 arrives and amidst the conversation in the war room, Wes Welker, in an effort to get a fellow Red Raider into the organization, grabs the phone and calls in the pick. Mahomes is a ‘baller’ who won’t need to play right away and can take the time to learn the craft.

Round 2 – Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida State
    Derek Newton’s knees are still on the mend and Duane Brown is entering year 10 (Oh my!). It’s time to take a tackle to fortify the position and Johnson is game for the task. He’s 6’7”, so the prospects are excellent for a dominant front court with Jadeveon Clowney if the Texans ever put together a charity basketball team.

Round 3 – Marcus Williams, S, Utah
    At present time, Quintin Demps is an unrestricted free agent and Andre Hal is entering year four of his rookie deal (wait, what?!). Williams is a ball hawk who created 18 turnovers. Sign me up for some of that!

Round 4 – Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson
    Dude caught seven passes for 95 yards against Alabama in one of the greatest championship games ever. He also had five grabs for a buck-22 against Florida State. He’s 6-5, 265. Let’s do this!

Round 5 – Ejuan Price, OLB Pitt
    Don’t talk to me about lack of this or that. He had nearly 30 sacks in college and some guys just have a knack for getting to the quarterback. Plus, his nickname is E-Diddy. As the play-by-play guy, I will lobby hard to have a guy with that moniker on the team!

Round 6 – Taquan Mizzell, RB Virginia
    After the combine I won’t be able to make this pick here because he’ll run a 4.4. His teammates call him ‘Smoke.’ He also catches everything you throw at him out of the backfield. He’ll make some team very happy.

Round 7 – Ben Braden, OG, Michigan
    It’s the end of the draft and everyone is getting a bit tired and cranky (not the Texans front office, really, just me and the radio crew). It’s about time to take an offensive linemen from the upper Midwest. At 6-6, 335, Braden could join a Game of Thrones road show with C.J. Fiedorowicz when they both retire. But he’ll do his best to help the team first.

Showing some optimistic player availability.
    If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

VanderMock 2.0: The final edition

Marc Vandermeer
    Here we are at the threshold of the draft and it’s time for me to take one last stab at what the Texans might do. Since no one in the front office has asked for my opinion I thought I would just write it down here, for entertainment purposes only, of course.

Round 1: Ryan Ramczyk, T, Wisconsin
    Some of the big name QBs are off the board. The price to move up was the draft pick equivalent of the national deficit. The Texans know that they need help here as Derek Newton recovers from severe injuries to both knees and Duane Brown prepares to complete a decade in the NFL. Ramczyk has the tools to be very effective on Sundays.
    26. Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin Previous: 21 Combine: He only did the bench press as he’s rehabbing a hip injury that has derailed any other physical testing. He threw up 25 reps, which is acceptable for the tackle position. Overall: After only one year as a starter, Ramczyk declared for the 2017 Draft. That wasn’t just a good decision; it was a great one. The former Badger star latched on to the starting job early in 2016 spring practice and turned in one of the best seasons for a Wisconsin lineman in some time. Because of the Wisconsin ties, he’ll be compared to Cleveland Browns star Joe Thomas. He’s not quite in that class (who is, really?), but he’s a future Pro Bowler at either tackle position. He has better than average feet, athleticism and movement skills to be an outstanding edge protector at the next level, no matter whether he plays left side or right side. Final Thoughts: Studying Ramczyk closer over the past few weeks, it’s clear there are some things he must improve to be a top notch left tackle. He gave up a number of pressures on inside moves and inside spin moves. However, he only played one season and his best football ahead of him. If, IF, he’s healthy. That hip.
    Round 2: Davis Webb, QB, California
    Webb has impressed a lot of people in the pre-draft process and will go high in the second round. So Rick Smith trades one of his 4th round picks, a pick from next year and some barbecue to move up early in round two and grab a player that some think might turn out to be the best quarterback in this draft.

Round 3: D’onta Foreman, RB, Texas
    Yes, we’re going offense in the first three rounds. Yes, I know the defense needs help too. But this team will need to run the rock. A lot. And as well as Lamar Miller played and as tough as Alfred Blue is, they still need more horsepower in the backfield. The Texas City product provides that.
    69. D’Onta Foreman, RB, Texas Previous: 64 Combine: Foreman did not test at the Combine, only performing the bench press (18 reps of 225 lb.). He ran a 4.45 at his Pro Day at 235 lb. Ummm, that’s good. Overall: At 233 lb, Foreman forced a lot of second and third level defenders into business decisions. I saw defensive backs not only stay engaged on blocks but re-engage on blocks with receivers to avoid having to tackle the big fella in burnt orange. He came out of nowhere to star for the Longhorns in 2016, but his style is tailor-made for the next level. He’s not going to run 4.4, but he runs well, probably in the 4.5 range, which is more than adequate for a back his size. The first name that comes to mind is Patriots LeGarrette Blount, but the more I watch, Foreman is better laterally and more agile. Then, I thought about Bengals star Jeremy Hill. Once I had Hill in my sights, it really fit as a player comparison for Foreman. He’s a decisive, downhill runner as you’d expect but he did carry it a ton last year. Are the tires worn a bit or is he just getting started? Final Thoughts: At that size, it’s easy to mistake Foreman for being a plow runner, but he’s a power runner with speed. He’s not going to run defenders over unless he has to, but he’s bigger and faster than Leonard Fournette. He did have a lot of space last year to run in Texas wide open spread attack, but how he transitions with interior runs against stacked boxes will determine how long he can survive in this league.
    Round 4: John Johnson, S, Boston College
    We all know the Texans lost Quintin Demps and A.J. Bouye. So they add a player here who can play safety and even spend time in the slot in a pinch. Corey Moore and K.J. Dillon want to be heard from, but you always need a ton of bodies in the secondary. That’s how they found Bouye in the first place.

Round 5: Blair Brown, ILB, Ohio
    No, not Ohio State, Ohio! Yes, it’s in the MAC. But this guy was an All-MAC first teamer. He flies around the field and makes plays everywhere. He’ll be in the ‘Impossible not to notice’ category in camp. He’ll play special teams and work hard to show he belongs as a position player.

Round 7: Michael Rector, WR, Stanford
    It’s late in the draft and always important to pick players here who do at least one thing well. Rector can RUN – close to a 4.4, and he’ll add depth to an already potentially explosive group that’s looking to mature. It’s wise invite another set of wheels to the party as the Texans aim to score a lot more.
    If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
      If he thinks Foreman would still be on the board that late in RD3...then this would make my day.

I would be extremely happy if the Texans could land...

RD1- RT / Robinson (1st) / Ramczyk (2nd)
      RD2- OL / Pocic
      RD3- RB / Campbell....woops, I mean Foreman

Comment

Working...
      X