Bengals forum mock draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bengals forum mock draft

Hey Texans fans! Last night, we had our annual mock draft on the Bengals message boards. This year, I got to pick for the Texans. You guys ended up with Kendall Wright and Zebrie Sanders (we only did 2 rounds). I think this process might be fairly accurate since everyone (except for the guy picking for the Bengals) was an unbiased participant. I was really hoping to pick Ronnell Lewis in round #2, but those sneaky Titans got him a few picks before! What do you think of the way things turned out?

Round 1

1.Indianapolis- Andrew Luck, QB Stanford
    2.Washington- RGIII, QB Baylor
    3.Minnesota- Morris Claiborne- CB LSU
    4.Cleveland- Matt Kalil, OT USC
    5.Tampa Bay- Trent Richardson, RB Alabama
    6.St. Louis- Justin Blackmon, WR Oklahoma St
    7.Jacksonville- Quinton Coples, DE North Carolina
    8.Miami- Ryan Tannehill, QB Texas A&M
    9.Carolina- Fletcher Cox, DT Miss. St
    10.Buffalo- Riley Reiff, OT Iowa
    11.Kansas City- Luke Kuelchy, ILB Boston College
    12.Seattle- Melvin Ingram, OLB South Carolina
    13.Arizona- David DeCastro, OG Stanford
    14.Dallas- Mark Barron, SS Alabama
    15.Philadelphia- Courtney Upshaw, OLB/DE Alabama
    16.New York Jets- Michael Floyd, WR Notre Dame
    17.Cincinnati- Stephon Gilmore, CB South Carolina
    18.San Diego- Nick Perry, OLB/DE USC
    19.Chicago- Michael Brockers, DT LSU
    20.Tennessee- Whitney Merciles, DE Illinois
    21.Cincinnati- Cordy Glenn, OG Georgia
    22.Cleveland- Stephen Hill, WR Georgia Tech
    23.Detroit- Janoris Jenkins, CB N. Alabama
    24.Pittsburgh- Jonathan Martin, OT Stanford
    25.Denver- Dontari Poe, DT Memphis
    26.Houston- Kendall Wright, WR Baylor
    27.New England- Dre Kirkpatrick, CB Alabama
    28.Green Bay- Mike Adams, OT Ohio St
    29.Baltimore- Peter Konz, OC/OG Wisconsin
    30.San Francisco- Bobbie Massie, OT Mississippi
    31.New England- Jerel Worthy, DT Michigan St
    32.New York Giants- Doug Martin, RB Boise St

Round 2

33.St. Louis- Kevin Zietler, OG Wisconsin
    34.Indianapolis- Coby Fleener, TE Stanford
    35.Minnesota- Kelechi Osemele OT/OG Iowa St
    36.Tampa Bay- Josh Robinson, UCF
    37.Cleveland - Lamar Miller, RB Miami
    38.Jacksonville- Amini Silatolu, OG Midwestern
    39.St. Louis- Devon Still, DT Penn St
    40.Carolina- Vinny Curry, DE Marshall
    41.Buffalo- Jayron Hosley, CB Va Tech
    42.Miami- Andre Branch, OLB/DE Clemson
    43.Seattle- Donta Hightower, ILB Alabama
    44.Green Bay(via trade)- Shae McClellean, OLB Boise St
    45.Dallas- Kendall Reyes, DT Uconn
    46.Philadelphia- Harrison Smith, SS Notre Dame
    47.New York Jets- Bobby Wagner, OLB Utah St
    48.New England- Chandler Jones, Syracuse
    49.San Diego- Brandon Thompson, DT Clemson
    50.Chicago - Alshon Jeffery, WR South Carolina
    51.Philadelphia- Zach Brown, LB North Carolina
    52.Tennessee- Ronnell Lewis, OLB Oklahoma
    53.Cincinnati- David Wilson, RB Va Tech
    54.Detroit- Lavonta David, OLB Nebraska
    55.Atlanta- Dwayne Allen, TE Clemson
    56.Pittsburgh- LaMichael James, RB Oregon
    57.Denver- Brock Oswiler, QB ASU
    58.Houston- Zebrie Sanders, OT Florida St
    59.New Orleans- Forfeited
    60.Green Bay- Alameda Ta'amu, NT Washington
    61.Baltimore- michael kendricks, ILB Cal
    62.San Francisco- Ruben Randle, WR LSU
    63.New England- Brandon Brooks, OG Miami Ohio
    64. New York Giants- Tank Carder, LB TCU

Just don't care for Wright. I think he is incredibly overrated and a product of the system. I would much rather see us take bigger WRs. Based on the available picks I would have gone...

Mike Adams
    Ruben Randle

Those would be a much better draft in my opinion and would better fill team needs.

Comment

Originally posted by chjoak View Post
      Just don't care for Wright. I think he is incredibly overrated and a product of the system. I would much rather see us take bigger WRs. Based on the available picks I would have gone...

Mike Adams
      Ruben Randle

Those would be a much better draft in my opinion and would better fill team needs.
      That exact scenario crossed my mind. I actually had Adams and Wright right next to each other on my big board. However, I didn't want to gamble on a top quality WR being available at the end of round 2.

I almost picked Orson Charles in 2, but figured Sanders represented better quality and that Charles or another serviceable TE would be available later.

Comment

I don't know much about Sanders so really can't comment on him but we do need another OT.

As for Wright, I really don't like him.

-He ran slow at the combiner and looked like he put on weight. And not muscle at that.
        -Didn't have a big seasons until RGIII broke out. Tells me he only as good as the QB.
        -Didn't face many top quality defenses.
        -Doesn't block well.

I'd rather have Hill or Fleener. If we can't get either one of those then trade out of the top 26 or take BPA only if Hill and Fleener are gone.

Comment

Wright is not an ideal West Coast Offense receiver and therefore is not a great fit in Houston. We need excellent route runners for short and intermediate passing targets - and we need them to be good blockers. Wright has alot of talent although his route running needs to be developed and he is certainly not known for his blocking skills. he is more geared for an offense like the Panthers or Bears where they air it out often. Where Houston might make an exception and go with Wright is because he can also field punts. This might be enough of an enticement - along with Houston's perception of Wright's coachability - that Houston would pull the trigger if Wright is there at 26.

If we can't get OT Martin in the first, I see us going with a defensive talent - either LB or DT or possibly TE Coby Fleener. I give it an outside chance that we pick Sanu or Rueben Randle with our first. Stephen Hill is too big a risk with our first round pick in my mind - he needs a ton of development compared to some of the other WRs in this draft. Most likely, our WR will come in round 2 or round 3, depending on how the run on WRs goes and what the options look like when it is our 2nd pick.

Marvin Jones would be a near perfect match for Houston's offense becasue he might be the best route runner in this draft and he can play both flanker and slot receiver positions. A little higher risk due to injury concerns but with more upside would be to take Greg Childs or Ryan Broyles. Each of these WRs are excellent route runners and get seperation. They all will block as well. Those players should be there in the 3rd and one of them will probably be there early in the 4th. Personally, I am pulling for us to select Greg Childs in the 4th - and Marvin Jones in the 3rd! We would be set at WR for the next 8 years. Haha.

If we miss out on a first round talent at OT, I don't see us grabbing one in the second. The difference between a second round graded OT and a fourth round graded OT (or even later) for our zone blocking scheme is so slight that it becomes a crap shoot or a preference for the person or type of player.
          Last edited by GroovyTexan; 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM.

Comment

So basically, you guys are saying I shouldn't apply for the Texans' GM job??

Comment

Originally posted by wcu View Post
              So basically, you guys are saying I shouldn't apply for the Texans' GM job??
              Well, we appreciate the "college try" and for you stopping by to show us the results! You are correct in assessing that we take a WR and OT in this draft and, who knows, you might have nailed it although many of us would feel like the FO made some poor decisions if it ended as your selections did. That said, we too are just interested fans in the draft and have no knowledge of how the FO is putting their board together at the end of the day. They have alot more insight to prospects that many of us do for sure.

thanks for your posts.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

I do not see the Texans selecting Wright in the first round. So many WR prospects with very little seperating them from top to bottom. I see a big slide on receivers.

First round I would have liked to seen Konz selected. He could start immediately at RG and fill in for Myers if injured and eventually take over at center. Fleener would have also received a lot of my consideration because he is a unique weapon we could not find later in the draft.

I like Zebrie Sanders and would have been happy with that selection. Schwartz also projects well as a zone right tackle. I see Crick and Wolfe were both still available for a selection in the third.

Check out our mock draft. We had Cinci drafting Kuechly in the first which I would think would make Bengals fans pretty happy since he is a local talent.

He also selected Konz at 21 and Sanu at 53. I think the Bengals are sitting as the top team so far in our draft. Curious to see what you think.

http://boards.houstontexans.com/show...=30608&page=29

Comment

I will get over us not getting fleener, but I will not get over him going to indy if that happens. That would be terrible on so many levels.
                  Evolve or Die

Comment

absolutely do not like wright as a prospect.

but in related topic, it must be nice to be cincy right now. 1st round draft pick last season was dynamic young receiver AJ Green. 2nd round pick was promising quarterback for the future red rocket. Made the playoffs and going into the draft with the 17th and 21st overall pick. Must be an exciting off season for them.

Comment

I would've taken Konz and Randle if the draft worked out like y'alls did. Konz is an agile bulldozer and can play guard. Randle is a big framed WR who can thrive on the 1-on-1's he'll be getting playing opposite AJ

Comment

Originally posted by gs27 View Post
                        Thanks for sharing.

I do not see the Texans selecting Wright in the first round. So many WR prospects with very little seperating them from top to bottom. I see a big slide on receivers.

First round I would have liked to seen Konz selected. He could start immediately at RG and fill in for Myers if injured and eventually take over at center. Fleener would have also received a lot of my consideration because he is a unique weapon we could not find later in the draft.

I like Zebrie Sanders and would have been happy with that selection. Schwartz also projects well as a zone right tackle. I see Crick and Wolfe were both still available for a selection in the third.

Check out our mock draft. We had Cinci drafting Kuechly in the first which I would think would make Bengals fans pretty happy since he is a local talent.

He also selected Konz at 21 and Sanu at 53. I think the Bengals are sitting as the top team so far in our draft. Curious to see what you think.

http://boards.houstontexans.com/show...=30608&page=29
                        Thanks for the feedback and for sharing your board draft. I think most Cincinnati fans would be very happy with Keuchly, but I can't say I like the Konz pick. I think if they picked Konz over Michael Floyd, Mark Barron, Stephon Gilmore or Cordy Glenn, you might have a riot on your hands. C/G is a position of need for sure, but Glenn seems like a much more valuable G prospect and Floyd, that late in the draft, represents so much value at a position of need.

In addition, you certainly couldn't fault the Bengals for taking Sanu in 2. However, I think the team covets Doug Martin and it looks like he's still available in your draft. I would have gone there with that pick, but again, it's hard to argue against Sanu.

If it were me picking for Cincinnati in your draft, I would have gone 1a. Kuechly, 1b. Floyd, 2. Martin.

Originally posted by Kal El View Post
                        but in related topic, it must be nice to be cincy right now. 1st round draft pick last season was dynamic young receiver AJ Green. 2nd round pick was promising quarterback for the future red rocket. Made the playoffs and going into the draft with the 17th and 21st overall pick. Must be an exciting off season for them.
                        We're all waiting anxiously to see how the rest of this offseason plays out. It seems like the "trouble makers" are gone and this is Marvin Lewis' team for the first time in years. The question mark is whether Mike Brown has changed his ways or not. It appears that we did ok for ourselves in FA and I think most people ended up being pretty happy about the way things turn out. If we can address some needs in the draft (perhaps the football gods smile down upon us and we get DeCastro?) I think we may do ok this year. We've got a very tough schedule compared to last year, so even if we get just marginally better than we were, I think we'd miss the playoffs. We'll need to be fortunate as far as injuries go (you guys know about that!) and Dalton and Green will have to pick their game up to the next level. Additionally, we'll need Leon Hall back. The defense really took a nose dive in the last 1/2 of the season when he went down.
                        Last edited by wcu; 04-17-2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X