Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel Kiper/Todd McShay 2017 Mock Drafts

Todd McShay's way-too-early 2017 NFL mock draft
    Let's start by emphasizing the first part of the headline above: way-too-early. There's a reason we use that terminology for this piece. I have not studied tape on most of these players. I've simply done my best to match up many of the top players on my preliminary list with teams that make sense.

A few more important notes:

Most of my evaluations below came from what I've been able to see watching them in person or on TV. We still have a ton of work to do on everyone in the 2017 class.

Last year, 15 players who were featured in my way-too-early mock draft ended up going in the 2016 first round. As we saw with Myles Jack andJaylon Smith, injuries are impossible to predict and certainly impact a player's draft stock.

The draft order below was generated by Football Outsiders, using its early projected records for the 2016 season.
    Here is my way-too-early NFL mock draft for 2017. Underclassmen are noted with an asterisk.

1. Cleveland Browns
    Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson*

We have limited information on Watson's intangibles, measurables and medical information, but by all accounts, he has outstanding personal and football character. While I still need to study his reads and true accuracy more, he has a good arm and flashes anticipation as a passer. Watson put up 40 points in the College Football Playoff National Championship against an Alabama defense that had four players drafted in the top 60 and has another three featured here.

2. San Francisco 49ers
    Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami (FL)*

Listed at 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds, Kaaya will have to bulk up to withstand the pounding in the NFL, but he's a tough competitor. You can tell watching him play that he's very smart and processes information quickly. He has the tools to develop and shows good touch/timing as a passer. If the 49ers are picking this high -- remember: I didn't set the order -- they're likely still in need of a quarterback upgrade.

3. New York Giants
    Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M*

Ranked as the fourth overall recruit by ESPN in 2014, Garrett has lived up to the hype in his first two seasons in College Station. It's hard to watch much of a Texas A&M game without seeing him in the backfield. In total, he has posted an incredible 33.5 tackles for loss (including 24.0 sacks) in 25 college games. That's the kind of production you're looking for from a potential top-five pick.

4. Miami Dolphins

Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU*

Fournette has averaged 6.13 yards per carry in his first two college seasons, scoring 32 rushing touchdowns. If there's a concern, it's that he'll put too much wear on his tires before getting to the NFL -- he had 300 carries in 2015 and has totaled 487 for his career. But you just don't see this kind of game-breaking ability very often.

5. Oakland Raiders
    Jalen Tabor, CB, Florida*

Listed at 6-foot, 191 pounds, Tabor has good length and flashed great ball skills/playmaking ability in his first two seasons. Tabor made an incredible touchdown-saving interception as a freshman and followed that up with four picks -- two of which he took to the house -- in 2015. Florida coach Jim McElwain has a ready-made replacement for cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III, who was drafted No. 11 overall last weekend.

6. Cleveland Browns*
    Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

Browns fans will spend much of the 2016 season cheering against the Eagles, as they own Philly's first-round pick in 2017 as part of the Carson Wentz trade. Williams decided to return to school after racking up 10.5 sacks in 15 games as a junior. He wins with power, relentlessness and first-step quickness off the edge.

* Acquired in trade with Eagles

7. Washington Redskins
    Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama

Allen played limited snaps last season along Alabama's stacked defensive front, but when he was in the game, opponents sure noticed -- 14.5 tackles for loss (including 12.0 sacks) and two forced fumbles. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with more playing time in 2016.

8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC*

The Buccaneers didn't draft a wide receiver this year, but with Vincent Jacksonnow 33, they should be looking to develop a young pass-catcher opposite Mike Evans. Smith-Schuster has the speed to run past defensive backs, the size to go up and get the ball (he's listed at 6-2) and the instincts in the open field to turn a short pass into a big play.

9. New York Jets
    Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama*

Standing 6-foot-6 and weighing 327 pounds, Robinson is a mountain of a man to get around at left tackle. He has plenty of potential to be a road grader in the running game, and he showed great toughness the past two seasons, playing through multiple injuries.

10. Tennessee Titans
    Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU*

Kendall Wright is set to hit free agency in 2017, and by that point, Marcus Mariota could be in need of some more weapons. Dupre has dropped a few pivotal passes, but there's a lot to like about his size (he's listed at 6-3), speed and raw ability.

11. Chicago Bears
    Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida State*

The Bears spent five of their first six picks on the defensive side of the ball in 2016. Second-rounder Cody Whitehair has the skill set to contribute at guard from day one, but their long-term plan at tackle is still a little cloudy. The 6-foot-7, 307-pound Johnson is your prototypical left tackle prospect. He has been pretty consistent in his first season and a half as a starter in Tallahassee.

12. Jacksonville Jaguars
    Jamal Adams, S, LSU*

The son of George Adams, whom the Giants selected in the 1985 first round, Jamal came on strong during his sophomore season. He picked off a team-high four passes and flashed the ability to get downhill in a hurry and make plays in the running game (47 solo tackles, 5.0 tackles for loss). Defensive tackle and offensive tackle could be options for the Jaguars, as well; they declined to pick up OT Luke Joeckel's fifth-year option earlier this week.

13. Indianapolis Colts
    Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee*

Trent Cole, Erik Walden and Robert Mathis are all set to be free agents after the 2016 season, so Indianapolis will be looking to beef up their pass rush. Barnett, who racked up 10 sacks last season, would be an outside linebacker in the Colts' scheme. He has shown the power to push the pocket off the edge.

14. Denver Broncos
    Charles Harris, DE, Missouri*

A college defensive end who could convert to outside linebacker, Harris has speed to burn off the edge. He had seven sacks and finished second in the SEC behind Myles Garrett with 18.5 tackles for loss last season.

15. Atlanta Falcons
    Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State*

Jonathan Babineaux is 34 and a free agent after next season, so Atlanta will be looking to beef up the interior of its defensive line. At 6-foot-6, McDowell is a unique talent at defensive tackle. He uses his excellent length to keep blockers off his pads.

16. Tennessee Titans*
    O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Continuing with the theme of putting Mariota in the best position to succeed, Howard has a rare skill set for the tight end position, with the size (6-6) and speed to create mismatches down the seam. Delanie Walker and Anthony Fasano, who are in their 30s, both become free agents after next season.

*Acquired in trade with Rams

17. New Orleans Saints
    Jarrad Davis, OLB, Florida

Davis (6-2, 230) projects as an off-the-line linebacker with speed and athleticism who can hold up in coverage and get sideline to sideline in a hurry. He tied for second on the Gators last season in solo tackles (46) and finished third with 11.0 tackles for loss.

18. San Diego Chargers
    Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame*

McGlinchey, who's the cousin of Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, thrived in his first full-time season as a starter at right tackle last year. And with Ronnie Stanley gone, he'll take over the left tackle role in 2016, putting his natural athleticism and 6-foot-7½ frame to good use.

19. Detroit Lions
    Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama

Foster made his mark initially as a heavy hitter on Alabama's special-teams units, but he transitioned into a full-time starting role on defense last season, playing next to Reggie Ragland. The instincts, speed and tackling ability Foster showed in 2015 bode well for his NFL prospects.

20. Buffalo Bills
    Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU

I thought White had the potential to be a first-round pick in 2016 had he left school early. He has started 34 of a possible 36 games in his career, tallying four interceptions. White played really well in a 2014 matchup against current Raiders wide receiver Amari Cooper.

21. Houston Texans
    Lowell Lotulelei, DT, Utah*

Another Lotulelei stud at Utah. Lowell's brother Star was an All-American for the Utes and a first-round pick of the Carolina Panthers in 2012. At 6-foot-2 and 310 pounds, Lowell is in the mold of his brother. He's tough to move off the ball, especially in the run game, and he frees up linebackers to make plays behind him.

22. Minnesota Vikings
    Zach Banner, OT, USC

Banner gets his 6-foot-9, 360-pound frame from his biological father, Lincoln Kennedy, an 11-year NFL veteran and three-time Pro Bowler. Banner -- who was recruited to play both football and basketball -- will transition from right to left tackle this upcoming season. His size and athleticism could be appealing to a team like the Vikings, who will have both of their starting offensive tackles hit the free-agent market next year.

23. Carolina Panthers
    Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan*

Peppers has the versatility NFL teams crave from their defensive backs. He's physical enough to make plays as a run defender, fluid enough in coverage to match up with wide receivers one-on-one, and rangy enough to cover a lot of ground as a deep safety in the middle of the field.

24. Baltimore Ravens
    Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford*

McCaffrey ranked second among running backs last season in rushing yards (2,019) and receiving yards (645), while also finishing third overall in kickoff-return yardage (1,070). That's a long way of saying McCaffrey literally did a little bit of everything for Stanford in 2015. His all-around game gives him a lot of value as an NFL prospect.

25. Dallas Cowboys
    Mitch Leidner, QB, Minnesota

Leidner shows some upside as a passer, but I'll be looking to see if he can improve his accuracy (59.5 completion rate and 14-11 TD-INT ratio in 2015). Listed at 6-foot-4 and 237 pounds, Leidner has ideal size and has shown the ability to make plays with his legs off designed runs and scrambles. He's a late riser to keep an eye on, similar to Blake Bortles and Carson Wentz.

26. Cincinnati Bengals
    Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State*

Cook has the lateral quickness to make guys miss in the hole and the breakaway speed to pull away from the defense. Listed at 5-foot-11 and 206 pounds, he's a little undersized -- not unlike current Bengals running back Giovani Bernard, who's set to hit free agency after next season.

27. New England Patriots
    Conor McDermott, OT, UCLA

There are a bunch of massive offensive tackle prospects in this class; McDermott is listed at 6-foot-9 and 310 pounds. A good athlete for his size, McDermott earned Mr. Basketball honors in Tennessee as a high school senior.

28. Seattle Seahawks
    Deatrich Wise Jr., DE, Arkansas

All eight of Wise's sacks last season came in SEC play. He caught a lot of attention late in the season, finishing with six sacks in his final three games (LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri). If he strings together some similarly dominant games again, Wise will be in the first-round conversation.

29. Kansas City Chiefs
    Marquis Haynes, LB, Mississippi*

Haynes plays some defensive end for Ole Miss, but he projects as an off-the-line linebacker at the next level because of his smaller frame (listed at 6-3, 220). He has been incredibly productive so far in Oxford -- 25.5 tackles for loss (including 17.5 sacks) in 26 career games.

30. Green Bay Packers
    Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia*

Chubb suffered a brutal knee injury last October, so his 2017 draft stock -- and whether he leaves school early -- will be affected by how that progresses. When healthy, he has excellent vision and shows the ability to explode through the hole (7.38 yards per carry in 19 college games). One side note: At the moment, this looks like a really good RB class, with four making my initial mock. The last draft in which we had at least four running backs go in the first round was 2008 (Darren McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall andChris Johnson).

31. Pittsburgh Steelers
    Raekwon McMillan, ILB, Ohio State*

Part of a loaded Buckeyes linebacker corps that featured 2016 draftees Darron Lee and Joshua Perry, McMillan led Ohio State in solo tackles with 57 last season. McMillan (6-2, 240) flies to the ball and drops the hammer when he gets there.

32. Arizona Cardinals
    Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

Williams missed pretty much the entire 2015 season with a scary neck injury suffered in Clemson's first game. Listed at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, Williams has the size, speed and big-play ability (18.1 yards per catch in 2014) teams look for in a wide receiver. Both Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd are set to be free agents after next season.

Players also considered (alphabetical order)
    Kendell Beckwith, ILB, LSU
    Jake Butt, TE, Michigan
    Da'Shawn Hand, DT, Alabama*
    Adoree' Jackson, CB, USC*
    Desmond King, CB, Iowa
    Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn*
    Marcus Maye, S, Florida
    Eddie Vanderdoes, DT, UCLA
    DeMarcus Walker, DE, Florida State
    Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson
    If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

I don't see the need in drafting Lotuleilei when Joel Heath and Brandon Dunn will emerge in 2016.
    `A`ohe lokomaika`i i nele i ke pāna`i.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
      I don't see the need in drafting Lotuleilei when Joel Heath and Brandon Dunn will emerge in 2016.
      I disagree. I think we need to get a stud 3-4 DE, somewhere in this upcoming draft.

Heath was a solid piece for Michigan State but Malik McDowell is a freak of nature. If Texans had a chance at him, I think he'll be way better than Star's younger brother. I'd give the Falcons a 3rd and 6th to move up from 21 to 15. (If all this plays out)

Comment

If TE / OJ Howard / Alabama isn't available, sign me up for ILB / Raekwon McMillan / Ohio ST in RD1 if both remain on their current trajectory.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
          I disagree. I think we need to get a stud 3-4 DE, somewhere in this upcoming draft.

Heath was a solid piece for Michigan State but Malik McDowell is a freak of nature. If Texans had a chance at him, I think he'll be way better than Star's younger brother. I'd give the Falcons a 3rd and 6th to move up from 21 to 15. (If all this plays out)
          You're falling into a flawed way of thinking. "If anyone's gonna turn into a stud, it's gotta be a 1st Round pick."

Heath can turn out to be just as studly as any #15 pick could.

Not relevant, but we gave our 2017 6th in the Will Fuller deal.

Comment

You're falling into a flawed way of thinking. "If anyone's gonna turn into a stud, it's gotta be a 1st Round pick."

Heath can turn out to be just as studly as any #15 pick could.

Not relevant, but we gave our 2017 6th in the Will Fuller deal.
            Malik McDowell is on a whole different level but I completely understand what you're saying.

Also, I forgot about that 6th round pick. We'd have to give em a 5th.

Comment

New idea !

Trade up 3 spots for Mike McGlinchy .... take John Heck of NC in 2nd round ! BTW, we were intelligent with our 2nd and final 2 picks.
              "I disapprove of what you say, I will however, defend to the death, your right to say it!" -
              Voltaire

Comment

Give me Jake Butt stock right now. He has as good of hands and body control I have seen from college tight end. Harbaugh will feature him next year and if we make playoffs we are unlikely to be able to land him, but in this preseason mock, give me Jake.

Comment

Kansas City will not finish better than the Houston Texans.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thunderkyss View Post
                    Kansas City will not finish better than the Houston Texans.
                    We'll be drafting much later than 21.

Comment

We'll be drafting much later than 21.
                      Finally!! I was waiting for someone to comment on the fact that they think we will be drafting in the 21st slot...

did anyone notice the teams they have listed as doing better than us and who they have winning the SB??

C'mon now...lets get serious.

Love the pick if he's anything like his brother...but give us some credit for our FA moves and our draft.

Houston still getting NO RESPECT.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprtsfanatic View Post
                        Finally!! I was waiting for someone to comment on the fact that they think we will be drafting in the 21st slot...

did anyone notice the teams they have listed as doing better than us and who they have winning the SB??

C'mon now...lets get serious.

Love the pick if he's anything like his brother...but give us some credit for our FA moves and our draft.

Houston still getting NO RESPECT.
                        You dont get respect until you earn it. We have three playoff appearances with 2 wins and 1 loss in the wild card rounds, and now we are what 4 years removed from winning in the playoffs? Not saying I dont think we finished better, but I can see people not thinking we will make it past the wild card round again especially after being blown out 30-0. It will all hinge upon Brock, analyst who arent as high on him dont think we will take a step up or they even think we regress. Others see us improving greatly. Hell even Casserly who always seems to bash us said he thinks our week 3 game with the Pats is a preview of the AFCC
                        sigpic

Comment

I love many players in the 2017 draft but if I had to pick from the obvious maybe guys that some of yall don't know, some of yall do know.

Malik McDowell, DL, Michigan State is a freak and is going to sky rocket when the draft comes around. He can fit with any defense and any scheme. Great size, strength, ability. He just gets better and better which is good to see from a scouts eye.

Raekwon McMillian, LB, Ohio State is a do it all backer. I feel is is special inside and brings rare athletic ability, decisiveness, side line to side line guy who is fully capable of dropping back and covering 20 to 30 yards down Field. This guy can and will change a clubs defense. Reminds me alot of Bobby Wagner ILB Seattle Seahawks.

Texans need OT, S, ILB, DE, TE.

​​​​​​[Edit] read the comments, apparently we are all thinking alike haha McGlinchy, McDowell, McMillian, I like all 3 TEs Howard, Butt, Ingram. I like alot of the Safeties as well. Adams being the best of the bunch. But I'm huge on Derwin James in 2018.

Comment

McShay's 2017 NFL Mock Draft 1.0

Todd McShay
                            ESPN Senior Writer

The mock draft below, our first to preview 2017, projects all 32 first-round picks. It goes without saying that a lot will change between now and April 27, including the draft order, team needs and the grades of many of our top prospects, as we continue our tape evaluations and dig deeper into intangibles and medical status. Some of the players included here are underclassmen who haven't yet decided whether they'll enter the 2017 draft, and some teams will inevitably undergo regime changes in the coming weeks.

But this mock draft can serve as an early primer on where the draft board stands right now, and the prospects whom teams could be considering with their picks in 2017.

Two important notes: 1. We used ESPN's Football Power Index to project what the order will be at the end of the season, with the three traded first-round picks accounted for. Read more about the FPI here. 2. All juniors or redshirt sophomores are noted with an asterisk.

1. Cleveland Browns

Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama

Let's get this out of the way: No QB in this class is worth the No. 1 pick. The Browns just need more good football players. Allen is a total game-plan wrecker along the defense front (13 tackles for loss, 15 QB hurries). Texas A&M pass-rusher Myles Garrett also figures to be in the mix here.

2. San Francisco 49ers

Myles Garrett, DE/OLB, Texas A&M*

Considering the lack of elite QB/WR talent in this class, the 49ers would be thrilled to see Garrett fall to them at No. 2. Tied with LSU RB Leonard Fournette for my best grade in this class, Garrett is the most disruptive pass-rusher in college football, with 21 sacks and 20 QB hurries in 23 games the past two seasons.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars

Jamal Adams, S, LSU*

Assuming he leaves school early, Adams will be one of the most complete players in this draft. He can stuff the run as an in-the-box safety, he can cover and he's a great leader to bring into your locker room. The Jaguars need to continue to invest resources in their secondary.

4. Chicago Bears

Jabrill Peppers, S/OLB, Michigan*

The Bears are another team likely to be in the market for a QB this offseason without a good option at the top of the draft. Peppers would make sense, given Chicago's lack of difference-makers in the secondary. He's a true hybrid player, with the speed and athleticism to thrive in space and the toughness to play bigger than his 205-pound frame.

5. Tennessee Titans (from Rams)

Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State*

The Titans have the good fortune of not needing to even consider a quarterback with the pick they received in the Jared Goff trade. Lattimore could use some more game experience, but if he leaves Columbus early, CB-needy teams such as the Titans could be enticed by the natural talent he has displayed on the perimeter in his first year as a starter.

6. New York Jets

Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

Williams is disruptive -- if a little inconsistent -- with excellent first-step quickness off the edge. Nearly all of his tackles for loss this season came against SEC opponents (14 of the 15.5 total). A pass-rusher could very well be near the top of the Jets' needs by the time April rolls around.

7. Carolina Panthers

Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU*

Fournette hasn't budged from the No. 1 spot in my prospect rankings all season. He is a rare talent for the position, the best college running back I've evaluated since Adrian Peterson in 2007. And though he has been hampered by an ankle injury all season, he has put up off-the-charts production when healthy. It would be great value for the Panthers if Fournette were to fall out of the top five.

8. New Orleans Saints

Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama*

At 6-foot-1, 196 pounds, Humphrey has ideal size for the cornerback position. He has 27 games of experience against high-level competition in his career, racking up five interceptions and 12 pass breakups. The Saints need to continue to add pieces to their defense, particularly in the secondary.

9. Cleveland Browns (from Eagles)

Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA

Taking the versatile Jonathan Allen with the No. 1 overall pick would allow the Browns to target McKinley with the second of their first-round picks. The UCLA pass-rusher has elite speed off the edge, which has helped make him one of the biggest draft risers this season (18.0 tackles for loss and 10.0 sacks in 11 games). Florida State RB Dalvin Cook also could be in the conversation here for an offense that will be looking for more home run hitters.

10. San Diego Chargers

Mike Williams, WR, Clemson*

At 6-foot-3, Williams profiles as a legitimate No. 1 weapon at the next level. He shows an excellent ability to create late separation when the ball is in the air, scoring 10 touchdowns this season. Coming off a scary neck injury to open the 2015 campaign, Williams has done it all for the Tigers in his return to the field.

11. Arizona Cardinals

Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama

A tackling machine who flies to the ball, Foster shows a good combination of agility and speed for a 240-pounder. He's one of the 10 best players in this class, but positional value could cause him to slip a little bit. QB is also a possibility for Arizona, given Carson Palmer's age (37) and declining play.

12. Cincinnati Bengals

Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee*

Barnett's production was outstanding in his first two seasons at Tennessee, but he has taken it to another level in 2016 with an SEC-leading 12.0 sacks. He has good size (6-3, 265) and agility and a consistent motor. The Bengals need more speed at defensive end and linebacker.

13. Indianapolis Colts

Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama*

Andrew Luck has been constantly under siege behind an offensive line that is still searching for answers. So whether it's in the first round or in free agency, the Colts need to devote resources to protect Luck and improve the running game. Robinson isn't an elite pass-blocker, but he's a plug-and-play right tackle who can develop at the next level.

14. Buffalo Bills

Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

Ramczyk has just one year of full-time starting experience at the FBS level after transferring from UW-Stevens Points (Division III), but he's loaded with talent. With a long and sturdy frame (6-6, 314), he's very effective in pass protection and as a run-blocker. Cornerback and wide receiver also could be options for the Bills.

15. Baltimore Ravens

Charles Harris, DE, Missouri*

A twitchy athlete off the edge, Harris led the SEC with 18.5 tackles for loss in 2015 and finished this season with 5.5 sacks and six QB hurries in his final four games. He has tons of raw ability as a pass-rusher, and Baltimore needs to continue to add youth off the edge with Terrell Suggs turning 35 next season.

16. Miami Dolphins

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Luckily for teams like the Dolphins who have a need at the position, this is a class loaded with tight ends at the top. Howard, Michigan's Jake Butt and Virginia Tech's Bucky Hodges all look like top-40 picks. Howard's size-speed combination gives him a lot of upside, but his production has been streaky in Alabama's run-heavy offense.

17. Tennessee Titans

John Ross, WR, Washington*

Ross has always had great speed, but he improved his route running this year and saw immediate dividends with a 17-touchdown season. If he runs as fast as expected at the NFL combine, he could very well be a first-rounder.

18. Philadelphia Eagles (from Vikings)

Teez Tabor, CB, Florida*

Tabor has terrific ball skills, with four interceptions, five pass breakups and a defensive TD in 11 games this season -- and that comes on the heels of a 2015 season in which he had four interceptions and 14 pass breakups. Tabor's natural anticipation skills would fill a big need for the Eagles.

19. Houston Texans

Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn*

Not many pass-rushers in this class can match Lawson's combination of production, upside and intangibles. He's a film junkie who posted an astounding 24 QB hurries and nine sacks this season. Plus, he's an elite run defender. Lawson's medical reports will be critical; he endured back-to-back injury-plagued seasons in 2014 and 2015.

20. Green Bay Packers

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State*

Yes, I know GM Ted Thompson has never drafted a running back this high, but there's no doubt the Packers need more explosive playmakers like Cook, who ranks tied for second among all Power 5 RBs this season with 15 touches of 25 yards or more. It would be good value to get a top-10 player at this stage of the first round.

21. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State*

McDowell has supreme talent, and he can be a menace as an inside rusher when he's locked in. But McDowell could fall a bit, because he's not the consistent grinder that typically comes out of Michigan State. Tampa will be in the market for more pass-rushers.

22. Washington Redskins

JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC*

Watching Smith-Schuster's tape, it's clear that he loves the game and works hard. He's not a burner by any stretch, but his good size (6-2, 220), ball skills and toughness will keep him in the first-round mix for teams with a need at the position, such as Washington, which could lose Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson to free agency.

23. Denver Broncos

Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida*

Brantley can be a load to handle in the running game, as he showed in back-to-back games this season against LSU and Florida State (five tackles for loss). His combination of quickness and functional strength would make him a good fit for the Broncos, who will be looking for help along the D-line this offseason.

24. Detroit Lions

Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida

Davis finds so many ways to affect a game. He makes plays in the backfield (six tackles for loss and five QB hurries) and is athletic enough to hold up in coverage. Davis' game is similar to that of Bucs OLB Kwon Alexander because of his excellent range and a relentless motor.

25. New York Giants

D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas*

Foreman is one of the most underrated prospects in this class. You can tell by looking at him that he's a load to bring down (6-1, 249), but what makes him special are his quick feet. Foreman, who led the FBS in rushing this season with 2,028 yards, also has some ability as a blocker and pass-catcher.

26. Pittsburgh Steelers

Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan

If you were watching the Michigan-Ohio State game, you might've noticed Charlton's game-wrecking ability (2.5 sacks). He was Michigan's best pass-rusher this season (nine sacks in 10 games). He has the versatility to convert to a 3-4 OLB in the Steelers' base defense. Jarvis Jones and James Harrison are both set to be free agents.

27. Atlanta Falcons

Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida*

I haven't done as much tape on Wilson as I have on his teammate Teez Tabor, but some scouts I've talked to think Wilson's ceiling is higher. At 6-foot-1, he has a good length/speed combination, and he's experienced, with 38 games played, including 23 starts. The Falcons need to find a way to bolster their secondary and defensive line.

28. Oakland Raiders

Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan

Lewis has some size limitations (5-11, 186), which makes him a bit of a reach here, but he's the best pure cover corner in college football. He had two interceptions and 10 pass breakups, despite opponents often shying away from throwing to his side of the field. The Raiders' secondary has been an issue this season as they continue to rebuild the defense.

29. Seattle Seahawks

Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame*

McGlinchey has held firm that he's likely to return to school, but for now he's eligible. While he'd benefit from one more year of physical development and technique work, an OT-needy team such as the Seahawks would give McGlinchey a long look because of his length and upside if he decided to leave early.

30. Kansas City Chiefs

Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina*

Inside linebacker and safety will be bigger needs, but everyone knows how much Andy Reid likes to draft quarterbacks. Trubisky has some red flags as a prospect, including just 12 college starts to his name, but the opportunity to draft a quarterback to sit and develop behind Alex Smith could entice the Chiefs' front office. Trubisky has shown impressive accuracy (68.9 completion percentage) and an ability to limit mistakes (only four turnovers all season).

31. Dallas Cowboys

Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford

The Cowboys will be in the market for defensive line help this offseason; I'm just not sure who will be available this late in the first round. Thomas has good size (6-3, 273) and strength, he's stout against the run and he rushes the QB with quickness and power (13 tackles for loss, seven sacks and seven QB hurries).

32. New England Patriots

Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford*

Bill Belichick and Tom Brady would have fun figuring out creative ways to utilize McCaffrey's versatile skill set. He's a true threat in both the running and passing games, finishing his college career with nearly 4,000 rushing yards and 1,206 receiving yards. He has a rare combination of vision, lateral agility and acceleration, which shows up in the return game too.
                            If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Comment

In this season of counting my blessings, I am so grateful that they are not drafting for us !
                              "I disapprove of what you say, I will however, defend to the death, your right to say it!" -
                              Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                              X