No announcement yet.

Mel Kiper/Todd McShay 2017 Mock Drafts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taco Charleton doesn't get past the Texans pick if I'm GM. This guys versatility plays well into what the Texans could do next season with him, Clowney, a healthy Watt and Mercilus. Both edges could seriously mess up some teams offensive plans.

Comment

Kiper's 2017 NFL Mock Draft 1.0

ESPN
      The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the 2017 NFL draft has passed, and the field is set. That means it's time for Mock Draft 1.0.

A few reminders:
      • NFL teams are still early in their evaluations. No team has a draft board yet, and we still have to get through postseason all-star games, combine testing, medicals, pro days and individual workouts.
      • There's a long time until the draft, and we have to get through free agency before we truly know each team's needs. That's why several of these picks are based on who I think is the best player available. In some cases, I have identified a few needs that could be targeted.
      Any questions? Good. Off we go.

Note: One asterisk denotes a junior, and two asterisks denote a redshirt sophomore.

1. Cleveland Browns

*Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M

Garrett is the top prospect on my Big Board, and he's a premier pass-rushing talent who had 32.5 sacks in three seasons for the Aggies. The Browns are in the beginning stages of a rebuild, and Garrett would be a foundational piece. Keep an eye on a potential trade down from Cleveland, though, as it did last year out of the No. 2 spot. The Browns want to keep acquiring picks. They could also fall in love with one of the talented but green quarterbacks.
      2. San Francisco 49ers

*Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

This isn't a strong draft for quarterbacks. Trubisky is the best QB in the draft, but he's only No. 16 on my Big Board. He has only one season of collegiate starting experience, completing 68.2 percent of his passes with 30 touchdown passes and six interceptions. The 49ers still don't have a general manager or coach, and Colin Kaepernick could be on his way out.
      3. Chicago Bears

Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama

Allen, who had 22.5 sacks over the past two seasons, could play defensive end or defensive tackle in the NFL. Positional flexibility is a big selling point, and he'd likely play end in the Bears' 3-4 in this scenario. He was one of the best players in college football in 2016. The Bears had a disappointing 2016 season and have needs across the board, including at quarterback, safety and potentially receiver, depending on what happens with free agent Alshon Jeffery.
      4. Jacksonville Jaguars

*Jamal Adams, S, LSU

Adams is built for today's NFL as a versatile safety who can play in the box effectively, make tackles against the run and move to the edges and track slot receivers. Jacksonville hit on a couple of defenders in the 2016 draft (Jalen Ramsey and Yannick Ngakoue; Myles Jack is still an unknown), but the Jags need more help.
      5. Tennessee Titans (from Los Angeles Rams)

*Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

One of the stars in the Tigers' national title game win, Williams finished the season with 98 catches for 1,361 yards and 11 touchdowns. He's the top wideout in this draft. Marcus Mariota could use a deep threat and chain-mover -- Williams was fifth in the country in 2016 with 60 catches that resulted in first downs.
      6. New York Jets

**Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

Lattimore is another first-year starter who jumped to the top of my cornerback rankings with a stellar season. A hamstring injury limited his time on the field in Columbus in 2014 and 2015. Speed, size (6-foot-1, 190) -- he has all the traits to be a star. Darrelle Revis could be on his way out with the Jets -- or move to safety -- and Lattimore would slide into his spot on Day 1.
      7. San Diego Chargers

*Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama

This isn't a great class for top-tier blindside protectors, but Robinson is at the top of the list, though I think his best skill -- run-blocking -- means he'd be better as a right tackle at the next level. A three-year starter for the Crimson Tide, he's a known commodity in the NFL. The Chargers ranked in the bottom third of the league in rushing (3.8 yards per carry, 97.9 yards per game) in 2016, and tackles Joe Barksdale and King Dunlap have underwhelmed.
      8. Carolina Panthers

*Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

This is really the first spot I see that could be a good fit for Fournette, barring a trade up. He's a special athlete with an incredible combination of size (6-1, 235), speed and power, but he won't get a grade as high as I gave Ezekiel Elliott last year. Elliott went No. 4 in 2016, but backs have been devalued in recent years -- he was the only back taken in the first round. Jonathan Stewart turns 30 this year and averaged only 3.8 yards per carry in 2016.
      9. Cincinnati Bengals

**Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford

Thomas, one of the biggest risers of the year, had eight sacks in 2016. At 6-3, 270, he could move inside and play tackle, too. The Bengals need pass-rushing help -- they had only 33 total sacks in a disappointing 2016 -- and this is a good draft for edge rushers.
      10. Buffalo Bills

*Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

I'm a believer in franchises with new head coaches starting fresh with new quarterbacks, and it appears likely the Bills move on from Tyrod Taylorafter hiring Sean McDermott. That leaves Buffalo with a huge hole and a top-10 pick to fill it. I wrote last week that I didn't think Watson would get a post-title game draft bounce, but I've heard differently from people around the NFL. Though he had an up-and-down season -- and threw 17 interceptions -- Watson is extremely talented. He's the second quarterback off the board in this projection, ahead of Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer.
      11. New Orleans Saints

Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama

Foster is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. At 6-1, 240 pounds, he has stellar range, runs sideline to sideline and is a complete linebacker. He's a terrific blitzer, too, and recorded five sacks in 2016. The Saints need defensive help -- 2015 first-round pick Stephone Anthony played just 127 defensive snaps this season.
      12. Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia Eagles)

*Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

After picking Myles Garrett No. 1, this would give the Browns two prospects in the top five of my Big Board. Cook is a speedy home run hitter who rushed for 4,464 yards and had 48 total touchdowns in three seasons for the Seminoles. Cleveland also could look at an offensive lineman, cornerback or linebacker.
      13. Arizona Cardinals

*Teez Tabor, CB, Florida

Tabor, my No. 2 cornerback, is a playmaker who had eight interceptions -- with three returned for touchdowns -- the past two seasons. Arizona struggled to find a No. 2 corner opposite Patrick Peterson all of 2016, and in Tabor the Cardinals would get a guy who could step in and start on Day 1. Arizona could take a look at a pass-rusher, too, depending on what happens with free agents Calais Campbell and Chandler Jones.
      14. Philadelphia Eagles (from Minnesota Vikings)

*Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida

That Florida secondary was loaded the past few seasons with Wilson, Tabor and 2016 first-round pick Vernon Hargreaves III. Wilson is right there with Tabor on my board. He's a little bigger (6-1, 213) than Tabor (6-0, 201) and has good ball skills and instincts. This is a spot in which the Eagles need immediate help.
      15. Indianapolis Colts

Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA

A dominant speed rusher, McKinley gave Pac-12 offensive tackles nightmares in 2016. He took a big leap as a senior with 10 sacks, going from fringe prospect to first-rounder. At 6-2, 240 pounds, he's not huge, but his explosion off the line is suited for today's NFL. Indianapolis needs playmakers on defense, and McKinley is a great fit.
      16. Baltimore Ravens

**Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan

The Harbaugh connection is interesting here. Who has better intel on Peppers than his college coach, Jim Harbaugh? And Jim's brother, John, is the Ravens' coach. Peppers is a fantastic talent, but he's a tweener and is more of a rover back. He could be an in-the-box safety or linebacker who helps in run support and goes out and covers slot receivers and tight ends. The right team will get creative with him and get a star playmaker.
      17. Washington Redskins

**Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

Hooker was the best center-field-type safety I saw this season -- he has incredible speed and range and was all over the field for the Buckeyes. He had seven interceptions, three of which he returned for touchdowns. Washington could also have a need at wide receiver, even after taking Josh Doctson in the first round last year. Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson are both free agents. Keep an eye on a pass-rusher here, too.
      18. Tennessee Titans

**Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama

I've mentioned this before, but 2017 could be the year of the third-year sophomore. Humphrey is the fifth such player I listed in the first round. A hamstring injury slowed him down toward the end of the 2016 season, but he's an outstanding prospect with great size (6-1, 196). The Titans have two first-round picks -- I gave them Mike Williams at No. 5 -- and cornerback should be a spot they target.
      19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan

Charlton plays with good leverage for his height (6-5) and has active hands and an incredible wingspan. I'm curious what he'll measure at the combine. He can play on his feet, too, which means he could fit in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme. The Bucs took Noah Spence in the second round last year, and he improved in their 4-3 as the season progressed (5.5 sacks). Charlton would be a great pick.
      20. Denver Broncos

*Garett Bolles, OT, Utah

Bolles started only one season for the Utes after coming over from a junior college, but he was tremendous. He has nice feet and can drive defenders off the ball at 6-5, 300 pounds. Denver has to get some help at tackle in order to get back on top of an AFC West that features two games every season against Justin Houston, Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa. Russell Okunghas a team option at $11.7 million, and Donald Stephenson had a poor first season with the Broncos.
      21. Detroit Lions

Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

Williams (6-4, 250) is a fantastic pass-rushing talent who can be unblockable at times. He had 19.5 sacks the past two seasons. Williams would have to put on some weight to play end in a 4-3, but his talent is undeniable. The Lions were second to last in sacks in 2016 (26), and Ezekiel Ansah had only two after a breakout 2015 season in which he had 14.5. This is a clear need, especially with few pass-rushers available in free agency.
      22. Miami Dolphins

Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida

As a steady and reliable linebacker with a nose for the football, Davis' versatility stands out. He could play inside or outside linebacker at the next level, though he's not a guy who will get 10 sacks on the outside in a 3-4. He can be an every-down guy.
      23. New York Giants

*Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

Picking another tackle would allow the Giants to move 2015 top-10 pick Ereck Flowers over to the right side -- he struggled in 2016. Ramczyk, who has had an amazing path to the NFL, is a 6-6, 314-pound road grader with all the traits of an NFL starter, but he's not a talent on the level of former Badger Joe Thomas (who is?). New York could also target a pass-rusher or tight end (none are off the board so far).
      24. Oakland Raiders

*Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

How can a team with Khalil Mack rank last in the league in sacks? That happened this season -- he had 11 and the rest of the defense had 14. McDowell had only 7.5 sacks in his career, but the talent is there to produce much more in the NFL. He's a tremendous athlete with a 6-6, 290-pound frame who is still raw. One position to keep an eye on: running back. Latavius Murray is a free agent, and this class is loaded.
      25. Houston Texans

*Budda Baker, S, Washington

Baker, the fourth safety off the board so far, is a dynamic athlete with a small frame -- he's only 5-10, 173. He was a tackling machine for the Huskies, and he had two picks and three sacks in 2016. Quintin Demps is a free agent, and the Texans need to upgrade their defensive backfield.
      26. Seattle Seahawks

Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson

The Seahawks like big corners, and Tankersley (6-1, 190) fits their style as a guy who could hold up opposite Richard Sherman, and DeShawn Shead's knee injury opens up a spot. Tankersley had nine interceptions over his last two seasons and was a big part of the Tigers' success. Seattle will be in the market for offensive linemen, too, but I don't have much first-round talent available here at No. 26. There's still a long time until draft day, however.
      27. Kansas City Chiefs

Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

The Chiefs' top pass-catchers in 2016 were a tight end (Travis Kelce) and rookie fifth-round pick who was better known for his return skills (Tyreek Hill). Davis was one of the most productive wideouts in the country during his career at Western Michigan, catching 331 passes for 5,278 yards and 52 touchdowns. He has ideal size (6-2, 212) and length to be a great NFL wideout. Kansas City has an interesting offseason ahead -- it doesn't have a ton of cap room, and it has to find a way to bring back top free agents Eric Berry and Dontari Poe.
      28. Dallas Cowboys

*Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

Jones, a three-year starter for the Huskies, is the sixth corner off the board. At 6-1, 170, he's agile and fast with nice ball skills. He had nine interceptions in his career. Dallas has a glaring need at defensive end, but don't count out a corner here. Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne are free agents.
      29. Green Bay Packers

*Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford

McCaffrey fits what the Packers want on offense. He's versatile like college quarterback-turned-receiver Randall Cobb and Ty Montgomery, who switched to running back in 2016. McCaffrey can return kicks, catch the ball out of the backfield -- he's dynamic with the ball in his hands. The Packers have a few needs on defense, but running back Eddie Lacy is a free agent, and they don't have an internal replacement.
      30. Pittsburgh Steelers

*Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri

Harris had an up-and-down 2016 with nine sacks and two forced fumbles, but his ceiling his high. In this scenario, Harris (6-3, 255) would be an outside linebacker in the Steelers' 3-4, but he could play end in a 4-3 or even move inside to rush the passer from a tackle spot. Pass-rushers Jarvis Jones (a 2013 first-round pick) and James Harrison (who turns 39 this summer) will be free agents.
      31. Atlanta Falcons

*Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

Barnett (6-3, 265) is the eighth defensive end or outside linebacker to go in my first round -- this is a great class for pass-rushers. He is an all-around defender who beats double-teams and makes plays in the running game, and he's versatile enough to play in a 4-3 or 3-4. The light came on for Vic Beasley Jr. in Year 2 in the NFL, but his 15.5 sacks accounted for 45.5 percent of the Falcons' total in 2016. He needs some help.
      32. New England Patriots

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Howard, my top-ranked tight end, had only seven touchdowns in his four-year career, but three came in national title games. The Crimson Tide didn't use Howard (6-6, 250) much in the passing game, and he could be more productive in the NFL. He can stretch the deep middle of the field and be a dynamic weapon. New England's No. 2 tight end, Martellus Bennett, could get a big deal in free agency this offseason, and it's too early to tell how Rob Gronkowski's back injury will heal. Howard would be a great fit.
      Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

If Mel was the Texans GM....he'd make RS look like a genius!!! If D'Onta Foreman is still on the board at #25, guess who's going to be in a great position to provide a big impact in the Texans backfield? Foreman and Miller in the Texans backfield could be top 5 unit in the NFL and in Obie's offense, this would be a major plus.

I know we all want OL but in this case, RB is also a need and hands down Foreman would be BPA at 25.

Comment

McShay's 2017 NFL Mock Draft 2.0

Todd McShayESPN Senior Writer
          A lot has changed in the NFL since we published our first 2017 mock draftin December. The deadline for underclassmen to declare has officially passed, and the full draft order is now locked in after the New England Patriots defeated the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI.

With NFL evaluators digging more into college tape -- and several players having breakout performances at the Senior Bowl a few weeks ago -- our Mock Draft 2.0 looks a little different from version 1.0.

Here is our second projection of the 32 first-round picks in the 2017 NFL draft.
          1. Cleveland Browns, 1-15

Myles Garrett, OLB/DE, Texas A&M

Yes, the Browns need a quarterback, but they have a lot of other needs, too. Garrett, who has the tools to develop into an elite pass-rusher and a very disruptive run defender, is just too good for Cleveland to pass up for any of the quarterbacks in this class. Don't forget: The Browns could still trade for Jimmy Garoppolo or draft a QB with the 12th overall pick.

2. San Francisco 49ers, 2-14

Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

We don't have a first-round grade on Watson because of his inconsistent accuracy and decision-making (30 INTs the past two seasons). But his outstanding leadership skills and intangibles will help him during pre-draft meetings with teams, and he does have intriguing physical tools, including a good arm and athleticism. Kyle Shanahan's offense would be a good fit for Watson -- or UNC's Mitch Trubisky, who I thought about putting here. Shanahan has had success with mobile QBs in the past.

3. Chicago Bears, 3-13

Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama

Allen has elite strength and quickness. He's an excellent run-stopper, and he had 15 QB hurries and 10.5 sacks as an interior pass-rusher in 2016. The Bears could also be in the market for a quarterback, but Allen is the pick because of his elite skill set (No. 2 player on my board) and fit in Vic Fangio's base 3-4 scheme.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars, 3-13

Jamal Adams, S, LSU

Adams would give the Jaguars' improving defense another young playmaker in the secondary alongside CB Jalen Ramsey, last year's first-round pick. Adams shows great range and tackling ability against the run. He's a true tone-setter on defense. Jaguars safety Johnathan Cyprien is set to be a free agent.

5. Tennessee Titans, 9-7 (from Rams)

Talking to teams at the Senior Bowl, there's a lot of buzz about Davis. He has good size (6-2, 205), elite production and is a smooth route-runner. Davis won't run the 40 at the combine because of an ankle injury, but if he's in the 4.4s at his pro day as expected, he could be a surprise top-10 pick. Marcus Mariota needs more weapons on the perimeter.

6. New York Jets, 5-11

Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

Lattimore has elite cover skills and good length/size (6-0, 192). He has only one year of starting experience, but he showed good ball production, recording four interceptions and nine pass breakups. Darrelle Revis could be gone or could switch to safety, which would heighten the need for a naturally gifted cover-corner like Lattimore.

7. Los Angeles Chargers, 5-11

Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

L.A.'s biggest need right now is at offensive tackle, but I don't see a player at that position worthy of a top-10 pick. Hooker would fill another void for the Chargers, who could use a rangy, instinctive safety patrolling the deep middle of the field. Hooker tied for third in the FBS with seven interceptions in his first year as a starter.

8. Carolina Panthers, 6-10

Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

This would be great value getting my third-ranked player at pick No. 8. Fournette is the best running back prospect I've evaluated since Adrian Peterson. His rare combination of size, power, agility and speed would be a good fit for Carolina's run-first scheme. Panthers RB Jonathan Stewartcould be a cap casualty this offseason.

9. Cincinnati Bengals, 6-9-1

Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford

A freakishly gifted athlete, Thomas dominated all season (15 TFLs, eight sacks and seven QB hurries) and was a wrecking ball against North Carolina in the Sun Bowl. At 6-foot-3 and 273 pounds, he has good size and strength, and he's stout against the run. Cincinnati could use some more pass-rush help after having just 33 sacks in 2016.

10. Buffalo Bills, 7-9

Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

Mitch Trubisky or DeShone Kizer could be in play here, depending on what happens with Tyrod Taylor. But the Bills have four WRs hitting free agency and would fill an immediate void with Williams. The Clemson standout has a good size-speed combination and shows the ability to create late separation when the ball is in the air.

11. New Orleans Saints, 7-9

Charlton really came on strong in the second half of the season, posting 10 sacks in his final 10 games. He showed a lot of improvement with his hands and overall technique in 2016. The Saints need a pass-rusher opposite Cameron Jordan, and Charlton has the size, speed and power to be a difference-maker off the edge.

12. Cleveland Browns, 1-15 (from Eagles)

Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

After addressing the Browns' void at edge rusher with the No. 1 overall pick, it's time to take another swing at a quarterback. There's a lot to like about Trubisky's tape. He flashes the ability to go through progressions, and he's the most accurate QB in this class. I like Trubisky's mobility but have concerns about what his real size is and some of the critical errors he has made, including two bad interceptions versus Stanford. With just 13 career starts to evaluate, Trubisky's pre-draft interviews and measurables will play a big role in where he lands.

13. Arizona Cardinals, 7-8-1

If the right QB is available here, I wouldn't count the Cardinals out. With Watson and Trubisky off the board, though, Foster is the pick. He's one of the 10 best players in this draft; the only reason he might slide a bit is his position. He shed weight and played much faster in 2016, proving to be an every-down linebacker. The Cardinals have six defensive starters set to hit free agency. Whom they re-sign will play a big role in the direction they take with this pick.

14. Philadelphia Eagles, 7-9 (from Vikings)

Teez Tabor, CB, Florida

Tabor needs to cut down on the number of big plays he allows, but he has some of the best ball skills among cornerbacks in this draft class, with nine interceptions and 28 pass breakups in his past three seasons. He shows natural anticipation, if not the most consistent technique. Wide receivers Corey Davis or Mike Williams could also be in play if they slip this far.

15. Indianapolis Colts, 8-8

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

Protecting and supporting Andrew Luck is priority No. 1 for the Colts, but drafting more O-linemen (they picked four last year) isn't the only way to do that. Indy can't bank on RB Frank Gore, who turns 34 in May, to continue to defy the odds. Cook, the No. 8 player on our board, is an explosive runner and a weapon in the passing game. He loves the game, too.

16. Baltimore Ravens, 8-8

Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

McDowell is arguably the best interior pass-rusher in this class. He didn't play with the same passion and toughness this season, which could cause him to slip a bit. But if you trust your defensive coaching staff and locker room to develop him and keep him motivated, McDowell could be a steal at this point in the first round. Another intriguing option is Michigan's Jabrill Peppers, given the Harbaugh connection and the Ravens' need at safety.

17. Washington Redskins, 8-7-1

Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan

Peppers is a polarizing prospect in scouting circles. He needs to be protected from deep zone coverage, and he did not have much ball production at Michigan, with just one career interception. But he is a special athlete with elite speed and a unique knack for keeping blockers off his pads. His electrifying return ability will also be an asset in the NFL.

18. Tennessee Titans, 9-7

Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

Alabama's O.J. Howard would be awfully tempting for an offense that features the TE heavily. But cornerback is far and away the Titans' top need, and at 6-foot and 181 pounds, Jones has great length and movement skills. While he needs to add strength, Jones is actually pretty physical for a smaller-framed guy.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 9-7

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

The Buccaneers have bigger needs than tight end -- defensive line, safety and wide receiver among them -- but Howard, my No. 12 overall player, is the best value on the board. He was the best player on the field all week at the Senior Bowl, showing great athleticism for a guy who measured just over 6-foot-5 and 249 pounds.

20. Denver Broncos, 9-7

Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

The first offensive lineman comes off the board at No. 20, which would be the lowest ever since the 1970 merger. This is a weak O-line class. Ramczyk, who's recovering from hip surgery, has the best tape of the group. He also has just one year of major college experience after transferring from UW-Stevens Point (Division III). Long and well-built, Ramczyk would serve as a much-needed upgrade for the Broncos up front.

21. Detroit Lions, 9-7

Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

Barnett isn't expected to put up big numbers during workouts, which could cause him to fall a bit in between now and late April. But he plays with good discipline, a consistent motor and impressive physicality. His production in the SEC the past three years is insane, including 52 TFLs and 33 sacks. The Lions have needs at every level of the defense, but pass-rusher tops the list.

22. Miami Dolphins, 10-6

David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.)

Njoku comes with loads of upside, thanks to rare athleticism for the position and big-play ability, including 16.2 yards per reception. There's not much of a gap between Njoku and Alabama's O.J. Howard for the No. 1 TE ranking. Both Jordan Cameron and Dion Sims are set to be free agents for the Dolphins, so the fit would make sense for Njoku to stay in Miami.

23. New York Giants, 11-5

Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB, UCLA

Tight end would also be a strong possibility if either Howard or Njoku were still on the board. With both gone and Jason Pierre-Paul slated to become a free agent, the Giants could be in the market for another pass-rusher. McKinley has versatility, and I love his motor. He's a natural pass-rusher with elite speed off the edge, recording 18 TFLs and 10 sacks in 2016.

24. Oakland Raiders, 12-4

At 6-foot-2 and 238 pounds, Davis' best fit is at weak-side linebacker. He's an explosive athlete with great range who profiles as an every-down player in the NFL. He could also play middle linebacker if he bulked up a bit. Oakland has needs at both positions and could use a Kwon Alexander-type player like Davis at the second level.

25. Houston Texans, 9-7

Garett Bolles, OT, Utah

Quarterback is a possibility, but I don't see DeShone Kizer and Bill O'Brien being a good marriage. Upgrading the offensive line is also a priority, and Bolles has the athleticism that Houston needs up front. He's an underrated prospect who should continue to rise in a weak offensive line class.

26. Seattle Seahawks, 10-5-1

Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama

Robinson has some athletic limitations and isn't an elite pass-blocker, but he has great size and experience in a zone-blocking scheme. The Seahawks are in desperate need of upgrading both offensive tackle spots. Robinson could be a good fit on the right side.

27. Kansas City Chiefs, 12-4

Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU

White had a great 2016 season, playing with better physicality and improved recognition skills. He is one of the most experienced players in this class, having started 47 games in his LSU career. He also impressed at the Senior Bowl. The Chiefs badly need a youth infusion at inside linebacker, but there isn't one available who's worth drafting this high.

28. Dallas Cowboys, 13-3

Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

Williams' 2015 tape was better than his 2016 tape. He also added a misdemeanor gun charge to his record. The Cowboys have shown they're not afraid to take chances on talented prospects with character baggage. And make no mistake: Williams istalented, with 19.5 sacks the past two seasons. He shows excellent first-step quickness and explosive power.

29. Green Bay Packers, 10-6

Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee

Kamara is an underrated talent who will continue to rise as we get closer to the draft. He has the vision and lateral quickness you look for in a runner and the power to break a lot of tackles. Kamara averaged 6.2 yards per carry, showing the ability to create plays on his own, which is among the most important things a back can do.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers, 11-5

Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri

Harris is a twitchy, high-energy player who brings some versatility to the table. He led the SEC with 18.5 tackles for loss in 2015, and he had 16 sacks the past two seasons. He's not a finished product, but Harris has a lot of nice tools and profiles as a fringe first-rounder.

31. Atlanta Falcons, 11-5

Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida

Wilson was overshadowed by fellow Florida CB Teez Tabor this season, but some scouts I've talked to think Wilson has the higher ceiling of the two. At 6-1, Wilson has a good length/speed combination. The Falcons found a gem from Florida's secondary in the 2016 draft in Keanu Neal and could go back to the well this year.

32. New England Patriots, 14-2

Haason Reddick, LB, Temple

Look for the Patriots to add a tight end early, perhaps Michigan's Jake Butt or Ole Miss' Evan Engram on Day 2. But given how the board fell, they could get better value by targeting Reddick here. He opened eyes at the Senior Bowl, proving he can thrive as an off-the-line LB. Reddick has a little Tedy Bruschi in him.
          Last edited by H2O4me; 02-08-2017, 11:04 AM.
          Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

McShay just got a gold star. If Bolles and/or Ramczyk (Provided he passes his physical) are still on the board...this is the pick that makes the most sense moving forward.

Comment

Kiper's 2017 NFL Mock Draft 2.0
              One of the big debates about how to project a draft class with so many great running backs has to do with a phrase that's often thrown around when we interview general managers after the draft: best player available. It's the old BPA. How much does positional value affect what a team considers "best"? I'm in the camp that says you can get a great running back well into Day 3 of the draft, but I'm not blind and can admit Leonard Fournette is quite clearly one of the top 10 football players in this draft. And Dalvin Cook isn't far behind.

So what will a team do when everybody else is gone and it's one of those two names still available? Do they stick to the board and say, "We're simply going to take the best player, period," or do they set a different rule for running backs? All I know is this: Some of the best pure football players in this draft are running backs.

A player with an asterisk next to his name has a year of eligibility remaining. Two asterisks denotes two years.

Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M*

I've made a bunch of changes in this mock from the 1.0 version. This isn't one of them. It's not out of the question that this pick could factor into the future at quarterback for the Browns, whether that's a drafted QB or one they acquire via trade. But Garrett is, right now, clearly the No. 1 player in this draft class and would be an immediate help at a position where having an elite player on a rookie contract is like stealing.

Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina*

Like the Browns, the 49ers could also use this pick to solve the quarterback question either via drafting a player or trading for one. Given the current state of the rebuild, I suspect they're more likely to draft a quarterback or move down for more picks. Trubisky is my top-rated QB and the likeliest of the current crop to land here. Also, don't be so sure that Kyle Shanahan doesn't want to work with a young QB. He worked with a young Kirk Cousins and did some good things with Brian Hoyer.

3. Chicago Bears, 3-13

I've heard a lot of people discuss whether this pick is worth, say, acquiring a player like Jimmy Garoppolo. I think it's worth remembering that Chicago doesn't have to be in the "Garoppolo or bust" camp. They could try to acquire Tony Romo. They could look to sign Tyrod Taylor, Mike Glennon or another free agent. In any event, I see them as more likely to find a veteran QB and go with a great defensive player here. Allen qualifies as a defensive lineman who can be moved around and create disruption.

Jamal Adams, S, LSU*

This might be a high draft slot for the traditional version of safety, but Adams is more than that. He's a true hybrid who never has to come off the field, because he can run extremely well and cover but also is a beast as an in-the-box defender. The Giants saw Landon Collins break out this year, and Adams has that kind of potential.

Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State**

I went back and forth here between Lattimore and Mike Williams, the wide receiver out of Clemson. I settled on Lattimore, and I think the Titans could end up with the best cornerback on their board here. They had a heck of a time covering anybody last season, and cornerbacks cost a mint in free agency (and you won't find great ones there anyway). Lattimore isn't going to come in as an All-Pro, but the potential is significant, and the Titans need bodies.

6. New York Jets, 5-11
              Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU*

"Wait ... what?" I can hear you. Let me explain. The Jets do have a QB problem to solve, but that seems more likely to come in free agency after they took a QB in Round 2 just last year. They could also draft a defender here, but the top cornerback is off the board. So why Fournette? For one, if they truly go with the best player available here, there's a real chance it's him, just as Ezekiel Elliott was for Dallas at No. 4 last year. Secondly, they know they can get a ton of reps from Fournette right now, and this is a team that needs to be better.

Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State**

The Chargers will be getting back the ballhawk who left town when Eric Weddle went to the Ravens last year. One thing that makes Hooker particularly interesting here is that the Chargers already have one of the great pass-rushers in the NFL in Hooker's former teammate Joey Bosa. Hooker is the type of player who can help a great pass rush produce points going the other way on errant throws.

The Panthers need a pass-rusher, and Charlton has put himself in this value range. He closed the season on an absolute tear as a pass-rusher, and he doesn't just do it with speed. He offers legitimate size that you'd typically look for in a 4-3 edge defender, with length and weighing just a hair under 280 pounds.

Age is starting to catch up to the Bengals in spots on defense, and speed at linebacker has been an issue for a couple of years. At about 240 pounds, Foster isn't a lightweight at linebacker but has the range of a speedy hybrid type. He can fly to the sidelines, and he's an explosive tackler. The Bengals get younger at linebacker and an immediate starter.

10. Buffalo Bills, 7-9
              Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson*

This is obviously based on the idea that Tyrod Taylor would be playing somewhere else. We'll be able to say that definitively, one way or the other, in March. If there's a big question here, it's whether Watson is any more ready to start in year one than a quarterback who's currently on the roster. I think the Bills will go a different direction if they're able to bring in a veteran QB in March.

Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford**

By their recent standards, the Saints took a small step forward on defense last season, but they really only went from "worst" to "almost the worst." They simply have to get better on that side of the ball if they want to be more than a .500-range team, even with a great offense. Thomas can be a terror as a pass-rusher, but he's a pretty complete player and simply makes you better.

In this scenario, two quarterbacks are off the board. Since I can't simulate a trade here (Jimmy Garoppolo?), this pick is made based on the idea that Cleveland has either found a QB through trade or free agency and doesn't want to reach on another QB. White would come in and at least partially address a major need area (coverage, in all aspects).

The Cardinals have patched it together at linebacker for the last couple of years, and I think Davis or Foster here makes a lot of sense. It gives them some flexibility with Deone Bucannon, and another explosive athlete on the defensive side of the ball. Davis can play right away.

Mike Williams, WR, Clemson*

Wide receiver has been a position of frustration for the Eagles, and it's imperative they add at least one more reliable pass-catcher next year, or they risk slowing the development of Carson Wentz. This is a spot where the Eagles could be considering another position (tackle comes to mind), but the value isn't there in some cases, and with Williams it definitely is. He's a great, big target for Wentz to work with.

Dwight Freeney is long gone, but now so, too, is Robert Mathis and his 123.5 career sacks. There is no question the Colts need to continue to work on the offensive line, but there simply isn't appropriate value at tackle at this spot in the draft. They also really need a pass-rusher, and McKinley is explosive off the edge.

Sidney Jones, CB, Washington*

The Ravens probably want to come out of the draft with more than one cornerback, so they might as well start early. Jones could add a little more muscle to his frame, but he has length and can flat-out cover, and if a QB makes a mistake he can show off hands, pluck the ball and head the other way.

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State*

At what point do you forget about what's conventional and just take the best football player, period? That's a question that could come into play with Cook, whom some teams will have graded as right next to on par with Leonard Fournette. The Redskins like Rob Kelley, but they don't have a home-run hitter like Cook, who could help take some pressure off Kirk Cousins, assuming he's back.

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

I was between Howard and the next guy off the board for this pick, but ended up with Howard for two reasons: One, they need pass-catchers, and Howard is a weapon who doesn't have to take away from Delanie Walker. Put them both on the field; it's just provides Marcus Mariota with more weapons. Two, Walker is 32, and if he gets injured, Howard would provide immediate insurance. Get Howard now and another wide receiver later (or in free agency).

Mike Evans is officially a star, but Vincent Jackson is an unrestricted free agent, and the Bucs don't want a situation where defenses can just assume they'll be doubling Evans. Davis won't be running at the combine because of a small injury, but he's safely in Round 1 and would be a good value in this range (my buddy Todd McShay had him at No. 5 in his mock draft last week). Feed Jameis.

20. Denver Broncos, 9-7
              Garett Bolles, OT, Utah*

The young quarterbacks have gotten a lot of blame, but the quarterback play in Denver in 2016 wasn't any worse than the team got in 2015, when the Broncos won a Super Bowl. The big difference was how bad the offensive line was. Denver couldn't run the ball or protect consistently, and thus we could see an offseason makeover. Bolles might not be a plug-and-play at tackle, but Denver needs talent, and new offensive coordinator Mike McCoy can figure it out from there.

21. Detroit Lions, 9-7
              Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama**

By the time we're done at the combine, I suspect most everyone will see Humphrey as a first-rounder. He has length, strength, speed and bloodlines, and pretty much everyone could use another good cornerback or two in 2017. Detroit certainly qualifies; it's a pretty weak group beyond Darius Slay, and Slay battled some injuries in 2016. The Lions have some good things going, but they need to add some help on defense.

22. Miami Dolphins, 10-6
              David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.)**

The Dolphins have weapons at wide receiver, but they don't have a player like Njoku on the roster. He will be listed with the tight ends, but this is a 6-foot-4 guy who can run in the 4.5 range and set up and run past defenders. He also has the size to go up and get the ball over smaller players (that's most anyone in the secondary). Tannehill should be even better in his second year with Adam Gase, and Njoku would help.

Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee*

If you're shocked this isn't an offensive tackle, I don't think you'll be surprised by the end of April when you've heard plenty about the blocking talent in this class. Barnett has been tremendously productive as a pass-rusher, and even if Jason Pierre-Paul is back, the Giants could use the help. If he's not, then a pass-rusher is a must.

Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida*

The Raiders have a big need here, and Wilson offers length and experience at cornerback, where he has played in nearly 40 games for the Gators. For the first time in a while, the Raiders can be drafting in the midst of a title window, and I think cornerback help should be a part of the equation on Day 1 or Day 2. Wilson is a good value in this range, too.

25. Houston Texans, 9-7
              Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama*

Quarterback play was a problem in 2016, but the offensive line could use some help as well. Robinson, while by no means a lock to be an NFL left tackle, certainly adds to the talent level. He's a powerful run-blocker who needs to clean up some things to reach his potential as a pass-blocker. Regardless of who takes the snaps next year, improved O-line play will help.

Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin*

It's not totally unfair to say the Seahawks' offensive-line play wrecked their shot at a Super Bowl title. I think age on defense is starting to become more of a concern, but if they find some value along the offensive line in Round 1, it would make sense. The secondary and pass rush could also be in play here, and the Seahawks should also have a clearer picture on Earl Thomas' progress by April.

Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina

Not many fans know Zay Jones, but he's a high-level talent. He slipped a little below the radar at East Carolina, but has the size, speed and hands you want, and he put on a show against good competition at the Senior Bowl. The Chiefs are no longer without weapons, given the presence of Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill, but another receiver would help.

28. Dallas Cowboys, 13-3
              Teez Tabor, CB, Florida*

The Cowboys could see some turnover at cornerback, and teams that need to hold leads can't be short at the position. Tabor could clean some things up in his technique, but he's a playmaker with good ball skills, and he flashes great anticipation. Dallas needs corners and pass-rushers, and Tabor is a fit in this range.

Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford*

Taking nothing away from Ty Montgomery, the Packers should be looking to draft some help in the backfield. McCaffrey is a great weapon in the run game and could also be an option for Aaron Rodgers in the passing game. With Rodgers, it's simply about finding capable weapons to surround him with. We all know McCaffrey qualifies as one.

Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple

Sure, Bud DuPree started to show some things last season, but if not for James Harrison dominating Father Time, where is the consistent pass rush? The bottom line is, the Steelers need more help, and Reddick can come in and give them some reps in that role. He had 21.5 tackles for loss last season, and the traits match the production. Get to know this name.

Charles Harris, DE/OLB, Missouri*

The Falcons had incredible health and continuity along the offensive line, obviously have the quarterback and the weapons on offense and have some nice young pieces on defense. But they could use another capable pass-rusher to help out Vic Beasley. When you're guaranteed to face Jameis Winston, Cam Newton and Drew Brees six times a season, you can't have enough there. Harris can come in and help.

32. New England Patriots, 14-2
              Jabrill Peppers, LB/S, Michigan**

Peppers is still a bit of a mystery in terms of projection -- teams are doing a lot of homework and trying to figure out how and where he'll fit. But I know a good place to land for a player who can do just about anything but just needs a coaching staff who can be creative and use his instincts. Jim Harbaugh will be doing a lot of selling on Peppers' behalf, and perhaps the Patriots will listen.

Comment

McShay's 2017 NFL Mock Draft 3.0

With the NFL combine behind us, pro days and individual workouts are next up on the schedule for teams evaluating players for the 2017 NFL draft.

We made some updates to our board after seeing the measurements and athletic testing results from most of the top prospects in Indianapolis, and we continue to adjust players' grades as we complete their tape evaluations. We also came away from Indianapolis with some more ideas on the direction teams could go with their picks.

Here is my third projection of the 32 first-round picks in the draft.

An important note: I'm a big fan of CB Sidney Jones, but he's not included in this mock draft after suffering what looks to be a serious leg injury at Washington's pro day last week. Some team will get a steal on Day 2 if Jones returns to full health.

Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M

The Browns shouldn't overthink this: Garrett is the best pure pass-rusher -- and one of the best overall athletes -- in the draft. His freakish combine numbers (4.64 40-yard dash and a 41-inch vertical at 272 pounds) cemented his status as the No. 1 overall pick, in my opinion. Garrett can fit into any scheme. He's a transcendent-type player.

Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford

Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkleyaren't long-term answers at quarterback, but them signing with San Francisco may free up the 49ers to take a top-tier talent like Thomas here before drafting a developmental QB on Day 2. With a good combination of quickness and power, Thomas would be a good fit for the defense Robert Saleh hopes to build out West.

3. Chicago Bears, 3-13

Jamal Adams, S, LSU

Quarterback isn't quite as pressing of a need after the addition of Mike Glennon in free agency, so the Bears can take a similar approach to what I laid out above for the 49ers. Adams is one of the few players with an elite grade in this year's class. A big hitter with impressive range versus the run, the LSU product can play in the box and back deep. He has excellent intangibles and would immediately make the Bears' secondary better.

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

After spending big on defense two offseasons in a row, I think the Jaguars will use their first-rounder this season to improve QB Blake Bortles' supporting cast. RB Leonard Fournette is an option here, but I opted for Howard, who has had a spectacular pre-draft process, standing out during Senior Bowl practices and combine testing (4.51 40 at 251 pounds). Howard profiles as a big-play threat in the NFL and an underrated blocker.

Allen didn't test well at the combine, but he's a much better football player than his workout numbers would indicate. While some long-term concerns regarding his shoulder might cause him to fall, the Titans have the luxury of taking the best player on their board with this pick, since they also own the 18th selection. Allen would slide right in and start opposite Jurrell Casey at the 5-technique spot.

6. New York Jets, 5-11

The Jets' quarterback situation is still unsettled, but Jay Cutler remains unsigned and could be a bridge to 2016 second-round pick Christian Hackenberg or TBD 2017 draftee. Durability issues are a concern with Lattimore -- he suffered two separate hamstring injuries in 2014 and 2015 -- but he has the potential to develop into a cornerback who takes away an opponent's top target each Sunday

A rangy safety with elite ball skills, Hooker is a perfect fit for Gus Bradley's defense, which features a lot of Cover 3 and zone coverage. Hooker is one of the five best prospects in this class, but it's unclear whether he'll be able to work out for teams prior to the draft after having offseason surgery on his labrum.

Fournette weighed in at 240 pounds and he's a violent, powerful runner on tape. That kind of skill set would fit nicely in the Panthers' downhill power-run offense. Fournette has elite straight-line explosiveness for his size (4.51 40) that will translate well to the next level.

The Bengals like high-production players from the highest level of college football, and they don't shy away from drafting players with some character red flags. Foster, who was sent home early from the combine and is a true three-down linebacker, certainly fits the profile. He has some of the best tape of anyone in this class, and he shows great range versus the run.

10. Buffalo Bills, 7-9

The departure of Stephon Gilmore makes cornerback a much bigger need for Buffalo, but with Florida's Teez Tabor running a bad 40 at the combine (4.62) and Washington's Sidney Jones injuring his left leg at his pro day, there's less top-end talent at that position than originally expected. Davis has yet to run the 40-yard dash (he's nursing an ankle injury), but I expect him to be in the 4.4s based on his tape. He also has great size (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) and ball skills.

After trading away Brandin Cooks to the Patriots, New Orleans now has three of the top 42 picks in this draft and five of the top 103. They used their first four selections last year on defense, but still need help on that side, even after signing Alex Okafor, who's a solid player but does not solve their need for another pass-rusher. Barnett racked up incredible production in his three seasons at Tennessee (52 tackles for loss and 33 sacks). He uses his hands well as a pass-rusher, and he has the athleticism to drop into coverage occasionally.

I'm not convinced Cleveland will use this pick on a quarterback, but it would make some sense, especially after landing Garrett at No. 1 overall. Watson will need time adjust to a pro-style system, but he has the tools to grow into a good starter in the NFL if developed and utilized properly.

If Alabama LB Reuben Foster falls more than expected, he would be a great pick here. But after losing three defensive backs in free agency, cornerback is another possibility. White would give Arizona a physical, instinctive press-man corner to lineup opposite of Patrick Peterson.

Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford

McCaffrey has a ton of versatility: He can handle 10 or so carries per game, catch passes as a slot receiver and contribute in the return game. He had an exceptional week at the combine, showing off his straight-line speed and short-area quickness. McCaffrey's elite character could be the tiebreaker with Florida State RB Dalvin Cook for some teams.

Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky

Rebuilding the offensive and defensive lines has to be a priority for the Colts. Edge rushers such as Takkarist McKinley or Charles Harris could make sense here, but Lamp is the best all-around offensive lineman in this draft. He played left tackle in college, but projects as a guard in the NFL. Flip on his tape against Alabama. This kid is for real.

John Ross, WR, Washington

If the Ravens opt to take a second first-round wide receiver in three years, they'd have a tough decision between the electric speed of Ross and the size/jump-ball ability of Mike Williams. Ross' tape shows his 4.22 40 is no fluke, and his savvy route-running ability and reliable hands make him a great all-around prospect.

Some character red flags and a deep running back class could lead to Cook falling a bit, but he's far too talented to drop out of the first round. Running back is a big need for the Redskins, and Cook is an explosive playmaker who's also an adept pass-catcher out of the backfield. He looks like a true three-down back in the NFL.

I'll be at Clemson's pro day on Thursday, and I'm interested to see what Williams runs in the 40-yard dash after sitting out the drill at the combine. On tape, he shows great hands and the ability to win contested catches. The one remaining question is: What's his true top-end speed? Running a 4.55 or better would be a win for Williams.

Bucs TE Cameron Brate had a breakout 2016 campaign with 660 yards and eight touchdowns, but Njoku's athleticism is on a different level. At the combine, he ran a 4.70 40 and jumped out of the gym 37.5-inch vertical and an 11-foot, 1-inch broad jump. Njoku would give Tampa a formidable two-TE set.

20. Denver Broncos, 9-7

Garett Boles, OT, Utah

Bolles has just one year of major college experience, but he's the most athletic left tackle prospect in this class and he plays with an edge. He has a lot of tools to develop, and after signing OG Ronald Leary and OT Menelik Watson in free agency, Denver might have the time to bring him along properly.

21. Detroit Lions, 9-7

Charles Harris, DE/OLB, Missouri

A twitchy athlete off the edge, Harris is just scratching the surface as a pass-rusher. He led the SEC with 18.5 tackles for loss in 2015 and finished this past season on a tear (5.5 sacks, six quarterback hurries and a forced fumble in his final four games). Ezekiel Ansah can't be the only pass-rushing threat in Detroit.

22. Miami Dolphins, 10-6

Reddick has absolutely crushed the pre-draft process. He had a great week at the Senior Bowl, showing that he has the speed, change-of-direction skills and instincts to play an off-the-ball linebacker role in the pros. And then he posted elite numbers at the combine (4.52 40 and 11-foot, 1-inch broad jump). It would now be an upset if he fell out of Round 1.

With Eli Manning turning 36, don't be surprised if the Giants draft a QB at some point in this draft. But that's more likely to come in the middle rounds. Ramczyk is dealing with a hip injury, so the medical recheck in April will factor into where he's selected. But if everything comes up good, Ramczyk has the length and mirroring ability to finally answer the Giants' problems at left tackle.

Kelvin King, CB, Washington

With Florida's Teez Tabor running a slow 40 at the combine and Washington's Sidney Jones suffering a leg injury at his pro day, there's suddenly plenty of room for other cornerbacks to move up the board. King and Ohio State's Gareon Conley are two fast risers. King's tape is good, and his workout numbers are even better. At 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds, King ran a 4.43 40 and posted a 39.5-inch vertical jump.
                25. Houston Texans, 9-7

Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

The Texans are still in the mix for Tony Romo, but if they're unable to land him, they'll be in the market for a quarterback after trading Brock Osweiler last week. Trubisky would be good value here. I love his pocket presence and accuracy, but have concerns about some of the critical errors he made, including two bad interceptions versus Stanford.

Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

This would be a good fit for both sides. Pete Carroll can get the most out of McDowell, who has elite traits but subpar maturity and work ethic. He might be the most talented interior defensive lineman in this class, but he needs to land in the right spot.

Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee

Kamara is a perfect fit for Andy Reid's scheme. He runs with great determination/physicality, and he created a ton of yards on his own at Tennessee, which you always look for in running backs. Plus, he's more than capable of contributing in the passing game.

28. Dallas Cowboys, 13-3

Charlton is just a solid all-around player -- he can get after the QB andstop the run -- and Dallas could use a few more of those along the defensive line. He has always had the raw ability, but this past season he showed more consistency and refined technique, finishing the season on a tear (10 sacks in his final 10 games).

Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State

Conley had a standout performance at the combine -- 4.44 40 and 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump at 6-foot, 195 pounds. His tape isn't quite that good, but he has a lot of natural ability. The Packers learned last year that you can never have too many capable cornerbacks.

At 6-foot-2 and 250 pounds, McKinley plays harder than any pass-rusher I've watched in years. He's a lock to make my All-Tape Team this year. He has really long arms (34 inches) and terrific speed (4.59 40), but he hasn't quite figured out how to use his hands. If he develops in that area, he has the ability to be really dangerous off the edge.

Cam Robinson, OL, Alabama

Guard might be Robinson's best fit in the NFL, and he'd fill a hole for the Falcons at that position. Robinson doesn't have the most consistent tape, but the lack of elite offensive line prospects in this class could result in him coming off the board in Round 1.

32. New Orleans Saints, 7-9 (from Patriots)

Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida

Playing in a division against Mike Evans, Julio Jones and Kelvin Benjamin, the Saints could use a corner with some size. At 6-foot-1, Wilson has a good length, and he displays strong instincts and outstanding ball skills (14 career pass break-ups and six interceptions).

Comment

Kiper's 2017 NFL Mock Draft 3.0
                  The NFL combine is in the rearview mirror, and pro days are in full swing. Free agency is essentially over, and team needs are becoming clearer. That means we're a little more than a month away from the 2017 NFL draft, and so it's time for Mock Draft 3.0.

You'll find several changes from my second version, but there's no change at No. 1 -- Myles Garrett is the best prospect, and the Browns should take him. The rest of my first-round projection is based on a combination of team needs and best prospects available.

So let's get going. Here's my latest projection for the first 32 picks of the draft.

Latest Big Board | Mock Draft 2.0 | Mock Draft 1.0
                  1. Cleveland Browns

Garrett to the Browns has been my pick in the other two mocks, and I'm not changing it. His phenomenal combine performance -- a 4.64 40-yard dash, 41-inch vertical and 10-foot-8 broad jump, all at 6-foot-4, 272 pounds -- locked in his status as the best prospect in this class. Cleveland was 30th in the NFL in sacks last season (26), and Garrett is a brilliant, natural pass-rusher who had 32.5 sacks in three seasons for the Aggies. Don't overthink this pick, Browns; take the top overall prospect.

2. San Francisco 49ers

Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford

After the 49ers signed veterans Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley in free agency, I'm moving away from North Carolina signal-caller Mitch Trubisky here. The urgency for the 49ers to pick a QB isn't as high. They could target a developmental prospect in the second or third round (Patrick Mahomes, maybe?) and let him have a redshirt year in 2017. The reality is that San Francisco has many needs on both sides of the ball. Thomas (6-3, 273) is a different kind of player than the D-linemen the 49ers have taken in the first round the past two years (DeForest Bucknerand Arik Armstead); he'll get after the quarterback from day one.

3. Chicago Bears

Jamal Adams, S, LSU

This might be a high pick for the traditional version of a safety, but Adams is more than that. He's a true hybrid who never has to come off the field, because he can run and cover but also is a beast as an in-the-box defender. His 4.56 40 at the combine was right in line with what I expected. The Bears targeted the secondary in free agency, signing cornerbacks Prince Amukamara and Marcus Cooper and safety Quintin Demps, and the addition of Adams (6-0, 214) would further boost their defensive backfield.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars

Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama| Watch highlights

Jacksonville has put a lot of capital into improving its defensive line -- a No. 3 overall pick on Dante Fowler Jr., (2015) and big-money free-agent contracts to Malik Jackson (2016) and Calais Campbell (2017) -- but Allen is almost too good to pass up at No. 4. In this scenario, Allen (6-3, 286) would probably slot in at tackle next to Jackson, but he could kick outside, too. He's versatile enough to play in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense and rush the passer from the inside or at end. He totaled 22.5 sacks over the past two seasons in Alabama.

5. Tennessee Titans (from Rams)

In Lattimore, the Titans would get the top cornerback in the draft with the first of their two picks in the top 18. Yes, they gave former Patriots corner Logan Ryan $16 million guaranteed in free agency, but they need bodies. Plus, longtime starter Jason McCourty turns 30 in August and is a free agent in 2018, so Tennessee could move on with a ready-made replacement. Lattimore (6-0, 193) is an athletic phenom who doesn't have a ton of experience -- he ran a 4.36 40 and had a 38.5-inch vertical at the combine, but he started just one season for the Buckeyes.

6. New York Jets

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

If the Jets are really going with Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg at quarterback, they're going to need someone to catch passes to try to score some points. At 6-6, 251 pounds, Howard is my top-ranked pass-catcher, even though he wasn't prolific for the Crimson Tide, with just seven touchdowns in his career. He has all of the athletic attributes of a top-tier player, though, and he was one of the most impressive prospects at the combine. There is precedent for a tight end going this high, too -- Vernon Davis (49ers in 2006) and Kellen Winslow Jr. (Browns in 2004) both went No. 6 overall.

7. Los Angeles Chargers

If Jahleel Addae is the Chargers' in-the-box safety, Hooker (6-1, 206) could be their center fielder. He has incredible range, but like Lattimore, he was a first-year starter for the Buckeyes in 2016. One thing that makes Hooker particularly interesting here is that Los Angeles already has one of the top pass-rushers in the NFL in fellow Buckeyes alum Joey Bosa. Hooker is the type of player who can help a great pass rush produce points going the other way on errant

8. Carolina Panthers

Jonathan Stewart is 30. Fozzy Whittaker is a part-time back at best. Cameron Artis-Payne hasn't shown much in two seasons. Why not take the draft's best back and put him in the backfield with Cam Newton? He's a special athlete with an incredible combination of size (6-0, 240), speed and power. Fournette can produce from day one in the NFL, and that Carolina offense would become even more scary.

9. Cincinnati Bengals

Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA

The addition of free-agent middle linebacker Kevin Minter makes me think the Bengals won't take Reuben Foster, whom I had going to Cincinnati in Mock Draft 2.0. Pass-rusher is still in play, though, and McKinley is one of the most explosive in this class. At 6-2, 250, he's not huge, but he is suited to play end in today's NFL. Put McKinley in the rotation with Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson and Will Clarke, and the Bengals have a stellar foursome.

10. Buffalo Bills

After losing Robert Woods to the Rams in free agency, the Bills have a clear need at receiver. And if Williams falls to No. 10, Buffalo would be getting a guy with a much higher ceiling than Woods, not to mention another Clemson wideout to go alongside Sammy Watkins. Williams' pro day moved him back to being my top-ranked receiver. His 40-yard dash was the question, and he ran right around 4.50, which is what he needed. Production wasn't the issue -- Williams (6-4, 218) had 98 catches for 1,361 yards and 11 touchdowns. Quarterback could still be in play here too, with the Bills committing to Tyrod Taylor with limited guaranteed money.

11. New Orleans Saints

No prospect has risen as much during the pre-draft process as Reddick has. He was fantastic at the Senior Bowl, and he was one of the MVPs of the combine, with a 4.52 40, 36.5-inch vertical and 11-foot-1 broad jump. Reddick's value is in his versatility -- he could play inside or outside in a 4-3 or 3-4, with his hand in the dirt or playing on his feet in space. The Saints have made an effort to improve their 31st-ranked defense in free agency, re-signing Nick Fairley and bringing in A.J. Klein, Manti Te'o and Alex Okafor, and Reddick (6-1, 237) would probably play outside in New Orleans' 4-3.

12. Cleveland Browns (from Eagles)

Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

This might be the ideal situation for the Browns, getting the top overall prospect at No. 1 (Garrett) and the top quarterback at No. 12. This is assuming they don't use draft capital to trade for Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo, who could still be available if the price is right. Trubisky (6-2, 222), who went to high school in Northeast Ohio and is a Cleveland sports fan, completed 68.2 percent of his passes and had 30 touchdown passes and six interceptions in his first season as a starter. The potential is there, but he's green. Trubisky could compete with Cody Kessler and give the Browns some hope for the future.

13. Arizona Cardinals

Arizona needs a quarterback of the future, and this is a sneaky spot to grab one -- if he's still around. Carson Palmer, 37, showed his age last season, and backup Drew Stanton hasn't proved he's a starting-caliber QB. So now Bruce Arians, who's a brilliant offensive mind, would get Palmer's heir apparent in Watson, who flashes top-five-pick talent at times but was inconsistent in 2016. At 6-2, 221, Watson has the arm strength, toughness and athleticism to play for a long time. He could back up Palmer in the short term while he adjusts gradually to the NFL. Keep an eye on the secondary here, too; the Cardinals lost their two starting safeties plus a corner in free agency.

14. Philadelphia Eagles (from Vikings)

Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State

The Eagles are in a good spot to get their pick of one of the best cornerbacks in a deep class. Several will be on the board at No. 14 with a potential run on pass-rushers at the top of the first round. Conley, the third member of the Ohio State secondary to be picked so far, is rising after the combine, where he ran a 4.44 40 with a 37.5-inch vertical at 6-0, 195. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz needs a new No. 1 corner, and this is a great fit.

15. Indianapolis Colts

Let's be clear here: I don't have Foster, a top-five talent, dropping because of his bizarre combine ejection. He's dropping here because not many teams above the Colts at No. 15 need a true inside linebacker. The Bengals and Saints, for instance, have both signed inside linebackers in free agency. Whichever team takes Foster, though, is getting a big-time, sideline-to-sideline defender with All-Pro potential. Indianapolis has done a solid job of upgrading its roster this offseason, and picking Foster (6-0, 229) is another step toward defensive respectability.

16. Baltimore Ravens

This is a strange year for offensive tackles -- there are no top-five-type talents in this class. This is about the range where I expect the first tackle to go. Ramczyk, Cam Robinson and Garett Bolles are all on the board, but I'm going with Ramczyk, who's a better prospect at right tackle. Baltimore has Ronnie Stanley, the No. 6 overall pick in 2016, on the left side, and Ramczyk (6-6, 310) would upgrade the right side over former undrafted free agent James Hurst.

17. Washington Redskins

Like I mentioned in Mock Draft 2.0: At what point should a team forget about what's conventional and just take the best football player? That's the value in McCaffrey here. The Redskins like Rob Kelley, but McCaffrey brings a different element to the offense as a runner and receiver, and he can be a return man, too. McCaffrey's 4.48 40 and 37.5-inch vertical at the combine eliminated any doubts about his

18. Tennessee Titans

Don't you think Marcus Mariota would be elated with this pick? He'd get a true field-stretcher in Ross, whose 4.22 40 broke the combine record. That's something the Titans' offense sorely lacks. Ross (5-11, 188) produces, too -- he had 81 catches for 1,150 yards and 17 touchdowns last season. Tennessee has drafted a good, young core on offense, and it could also target a cornerback or linebacker here and with the No. 5 overall pick.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

This pick stays the same as Mock Draft 2.0 -- it makes too much sense. Vincent Jackson is gone, and free-agent signing DeSean Jackson will fill his spot opposite Mike Evans. Davis, who had 331 catches for 5,278 yards and 52 touchdowns in his collegiate career, would give Jameis Winstonanother fantastic option, but he's a different type of player from both Jackson and Evans. The only issue with Davis (6-3, 209) is an ankle injury that kept him out of the combine, and he might not run a 40 before the draft, so scouts won't have a true number. I don't expect him to drop out of the first round,

20. Denver Broncos

Njoku can no longer be considered a sleeper after posting a 4.64 40, 37.5-inch vertical and 11-foot-1 broad jump at the combine. He has the size (6-4, 246) and athleticism to run past and jump over defenders. He will be a weapon in the NFL. Experience is a question -- he's a third-year sophomore who only put it all together down the stretch of the Hurricanes' 2016 season -- but he has a high ceiling. This is another spot in which an offensive tackle could go.

21. Detroit Lions

Charles Harris, DE, Missouri

Pass-rusher and cornerback are the two biggest needs for the Lions, and you can take your pick from a deep class at both positions. Harris (6-3, 253) would give Detroit's D-line a boost -- the Lions had only 26 sacks last season, which ranked 30th in the league. He would play end in Detroit's 4-3, but he could move inside and rush the passer when needed. Harris had nine sacks and two forced fumbles in 2016.

22. Miami Dolphins

Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky

Laremy Tunsil's expected move to left tackle leaves an opening at guard, and Lamp is the best guard in the draft. He also could move over to right tackle or slide in at center, and his versatility is a plus. Though Lamp (6-4, 309) played in Conference USA, he has the traits to step in and play immediately next season. Miami also could be in play for a linebacker, even with Kiko Alonso locked into a new deal. Florida's Jarrad Davismakes some sense.

23. New York Giants

The Giants' 2007 and 2011 Super Bowl teams featured a fearsome pass-rushing rotation, and this would be an attempt to build out that rotation again. Jason Pierre-Paul and Olivier Vernon are entrenched as starters -- and they have the big-money deals to show for it -- but they played too many snaps last season. Vernon had more than 1,000, and Pierre-Paul was on his way before a groin injury ended his season in December. Barnett had 33 sacks in three seasons for the Volunteers, and he's an all-around 4-3 end at 6-3, 259 pounds.

24. Oakland Raiders

D.J. Hayden was a miss at No. 12 overall in 2013, and now the Raiders will be looking for cornerback help on Day 1 or Day 2. Enter White, who has what many of the corner prospects above him don't: experience. A four-year starter for the Tigers, White (5-11, 192) could have been a Day 3 pick a year ago but made the right decision to return to school. The Raiders think they're Super Bowl contenders, but corner is a gaping hole headed into 2017.

25. Houston Texans

The Texans could be in play for a quarterback here after trading away Brock Osweiler, though Tony Romo could find his way to Houston soon if he gets his release from the Cowboys. For now I'm sticking with Robinson at No. 25, even if he'll have no idea whom he's blocking for. Robinson (6-6, 322) has been a known commodity for the Crimson Tide, for whom he was a three-year starter, but he isn't a lock to play left tackle. He's a powerful run-blocker who needs to clean up some things to reach his potential as a pass-blocker.

26. Seattle Seahawks

Kevin King, CB, Washington

Before Sidney Jones' Achilles injury at the Washington pro day last week, the Huskies had a realistic chance of having two corners taken in the first round of the draft. King (6-3, 200) is a lanky, rangy defender who fits the Seattle mold of bigger defensive backs, and he knows his way around the city. In a great class of cornerbacks, he stands out for his size but also can move, as the 4.43 40 at the combine showed. The Seahawks could be in the market for an offensive tackle on Days 1 and 2 as well.

27. Kansas City Chiefs

Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina

Jeremy Maclin had a down season in 2016, and the Chiefs' top pass-catchers were tight end Travis Kelce and rookie fifth-round pick Tyreek Hill, who's not a true No. 1 wideout. Jones has moved up my board considerably thanks to his performances at the Senior Bowl and combine, where he ran a 4.45 40 and had a 36.5-inch vertical. At 6-2, 201 pounds, he put up huge numbers for the Pirates last season with 158 catches for 1,746 yards and eight touchdowns. Adding Jones would help open up the Chiefs' offense and give Alex Smith a reliable, productive target.

28. Dallas Cowboys

Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan

Wouldn't this be a Jerry Jones type of pick? Peppers is one of the most well-known prospects in this class, but he's a tweener (5-11, 213) who's polarizing to NFL scouts. The team that drafts him will have to get creative and use him as a hybrid safety who can play the run and cover tight ends. Peppers also could be a great return man. He's a tremendous athlete (4.46 40, 35.5-inch vertical). And Dallas' secondary has been depleted in free agency -- Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne, Barry Churchand J.J. Wilcox are all gone.

29. Green Bay Packers

Cook's stock is dropping a little bit. He didn't test amazingly at the combine, a couple of shoulder injuries at FSU have worried teams and not many teams in the first round need running backs. But falling to Green Bay here would be considered a great value pick. Green Bay needs a back and will take one at some point -- converted receiver Ty Montgomery is really all it has now -- and Cook (5-10, 210) is one of the best home run hitters out there. Cook gives Aaron Rodgers and the offense some help in the passing game, too.

I came close to giving Green Bay another player here: Oklahoma's Joe Mixon, who is surging up draft boards and might be the most talented back in the entire class. Mixon has notable off-field issues, and some teams will take him off their boards because of that, but I expect him to be picked by end of the second round.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers

Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston

You might remember Bowser from the time he got in a fight with a teammate and broke an orbital bone the day before a game, but he has made a name for himself from his play on the field, too. He had 8.5 sacks and 12 tackles for loss for the Cougars in only eight games last season. Bowser (6-3, 247) is perfect for a 3-4 team like the Steelers, and he is rising up draft boards after testing incredibly well at the combine with a 4.65 40 and 37.5-inch vertical. Pittsburgh brought back James Harrison, who at 38 could be a mentor to Bowser.

31. Atlanta Falcons

Charlton falls to Atlanta here in this projection because a 4.92 40 at 6-6, 277 at the combine was concerning. He's still a first-round talent, however, and I suspect the Falcons would be thrilled to put him on the other side of Vic Beasley Jr., who broke out with 15.5 sacks last season, and let him get after quarterbacks. Charlton has long arms (34 inches) and active hands and takes ideal angles when rushing the passer.

32. New Orleans Saints (from Patriots)

Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama

The Saints are trying to pry away restricted free-agent corner Malcolm Butler from the Patriots, but until they do, the position is a weak spot on a defense that gave up the most passing yards per game (273.8) last season. Humphrey (6-0 197) has length, strength, speed and good bloodlines (his father is former NFL running back Bobby Humphrey). I had Haason Reddick going to the Saints with their other first-round pick, and I suspect they'd be happy with two defenders who could step in and play immediately.

Comment

Kiper and McShay's dueling two-round NFL mock drafts
                    It's officially draft month, and to commemorate the occasion, we had NFL draft experts Mel Kiper and Todd McShay each predict the first two rounds of the 2017 draft. As a reminder, Mel and Todd are not making these picks based on their personal preferences; they're peering into the future and saying what they think will happen on draft night.

Let's start with the Browns, who have four of the first 52 picks in this year's draft:

Round 1

1. Cleveland Browns
                    Kiper: Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
                    No change at the top. Garrett is the best pass-rusher in a class full of them. He's a rare talent and a physical freak (4.64 40-yard dash and 41-inch vertical at 6-foot-4, 272 pounds), and he also produces on the field (32.5 sacks in three seasons).

McShay: Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
                    Yeah, there's no reason to overthink this, Cleveland. Take the clear-cut best player in this draft.

2. San Francisco 49ers
                    Kiper: Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
                    I think San Francisco will wait on a quarterback (maybe Kirk Cousins in 2018?). Outside of the Browns, the 49ers have the worst talent on their roster from top to bottom, and picking Thomas would beef up their defense. He's a different player than the D-linemen the 49ers have taken in the first round the past two years (DeForest Buckner and Arik Armstead) and has double-digit sack potential.

McShay: Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
                    The 49ers don't necessarily need to force it and spend the No. 2 pick on a QB after picking up Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley in free agency. What they need is more impact players, and Thomas is the total package off the edge, with size, quickness and power.

3. Chicago Bears
                    Kiper: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
                    Safety is a clear need. I had gone with Jamal Adams here, but Hooker is more of a center fielder-type with deep range and great speed. He has some Ed Reed in him as a playmaker. In his first season as a starter, he had seven interceptions in 2016, including three pick-sixes.

McShay: Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama
                    Stick with the tape on Allen. He's still our No. 2 overall player, even after mediocre workouts. Allen's quickness and power help him constantly push the pocket as a pass-rusher, and he had 22.5 sacks in the past two seasons. The Bears could use a solidifying force along the interior.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars
                    Kiper: Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama
                    The Jaguars are trying to be competitive, and I don't think they're giving up on Blake Bortles yet. And Todd's absolutely right about Allen, who would probably slot in at defensive tackle next to 2016 big-money signing Malik Jackson. Let Allen get after quarterbacks and disrupt running games.

McShay: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
                    The Jaguars could easily go with LSU safety Jamal Adams here, but they've spent loads of draft capital and free-agent money on their defense in recent years and need more offensive playmakers. Enter Fournette, who would give Jacksonville instant stability at running back. He has a rare combination of size (240 pounds), speed (4.51 40) and power.

Kiper: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
                    The Titans would probably be thrilled at the chance to pick the draft's No. 1 corner. Lattimore is an athletic phenom who doesn't have a ton of experience. He ran a 4.36 40 and had a 38-inch vertical at the combine, but he started just one season for the Buckeyes. This could be a spot where a team like Cleveland tries to trade up to take the top quarterback.

McShay: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
                    I'll go with a different Buckeye defensive back. Tennessee added Johnathan Cyprien in free agency, but he's more of a run-stuffer. Hooker can provide the speed, range and elite ball skills the Titans need in the deep middle of the field. I also wouldn't completely rule out LB Haason Reddick with this pick. There's a growing sentiment that he'll be off the board by the time Tennessee picks again in Round 1 at No. 18 overall.

6. New York Jets
                    Kiper: Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
                    Another quarterback for the Jets, you ask? Well, why not? Trubisky is my No. 1 signal-caller, and they've already worked him out privately. Josh McCown is far from the long-term answer, and Christian Hackenberg, a second-round pick in 2016, couldn't get on the field last season. Trubisky has a high ceiling, but he has been a starter for only one year.

McShay: Jamal Adams, S, LSU
                    There's a lot of buzz about QBs Deshaun Watson or Mitch Trubisky with this pick, and I see that Mel has hopped on that bandwagon. But it'd be really tough for the Jets to pass up Adams if he's still on the board here. A big hitter with excellent intangibles, Adams is one of the few players with an elite grade in this year's class.

7. Los Angeles Chargers
                    Kiper: Jamal Adams, S, LSU
                    Adams is a steal if he falls in this range, like Todd says, and the Chargers could use him in a variety of roles -- playing in the box, covering tight ends and slot receivers, and disguising him on blitzes. New defensive coordinator Gus Bradley can get creative in finding ways to play Adams and Jahleel Addae on all three downs.

McShay: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
                    Do the Chargers have bigger needs? Yes. But this move would be about giving coach Anthony Lynn a clear succession plan at quarterback for Philip Rivers. Watson has the kind of makeup to overcome his weaknesses, particularly if he lands with a team determined to keep him on the sideline early in his career (like the Chargers).

8. Carolina Panthers
                    Kiper: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
                    Carolina is really the first logical spot I see for a running back, unless a team trades up. Fournette is a special player who has looked like a first-round pick since he stepped on the field at LSU. The Panthers need a successor to Jonathan Stewart, who turned 30 in March.

McShay: Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
                    The Panthers' three main edge rushers -- Julius Peppers, Charles Johnson and Mario Addison -- will be 37, 31 and 30 years old at the start of next season. In other words, Carolina needs to find a younger player who can get after the QB. Barnett has some of the most impressive production of any pass-rusher in this class, considering the competition he played against (42 tackles for loss and 29 sacks vs. the SEC in three seasons).

9. Cincinnati Bengals
                    Kiper: Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
                    The Bengals' offense didn't look the same after losing Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones in free agency last year. With Williams (98 catches for 1,361 yards and 11 touchdowns for the national champs last season) and A.J. Green, Cincinnati would have one of the best receiving tandems in the league. Last year's second-round pick, Tyler Boyd, was just OK in 2016 (54 catches, 603 yards), and veteran Brandon Lafell is slotted in as the other starter.

McShay: Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
                    Agree on the position, but not the pick, Kiper. If the board falls this way, the Bengals will be in a tough spot. Davis and Williams would both be slight reaches; same with UCLA pass-rusher Takkarist McKinley. Davis' size (6-2, 205), ball skills and speed (estimated in the 4.4s, based on tape) make him a Day 1 NFL starter outside the numbers.

10. Buffalo Bills
                    Kiper: O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
                    Buffalo badly needs pass-catchers, and Howard is the best tight end in the draft. He has all of the athletic attributes (4.51 40 at 6-6, 251) of a top-tier all-around player. Charles Clay has underperformed the five-year deal he signed in 2015.

McShay: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
                    If Lattimore fell this far, his history of hamstring injuries would probably be the biggest reason. Durability issues aside, the Bills would be thrilled to see Lattimore available here. He has elite coverage ability and good ball skills. Plus, cornerback is suddenly a much bigger need in Buffalo after it lost Stephon Gilmore in free agency.

11. New Orleans Saints
                    Kiper: Haason Reddick, LB, Temple
                    One of the draft's hottest names, Reddick's value is in his versatility -- he could play inside or outside in a 4-3 or 3-4. For the Saints, I see him as an outside 'backer who could play on his feet on first and second down and rush the passer on third downs.

McShay: Haason Reddick, LB, Temple
                    A virtual unknown outside of draft circles entering the Senior Bowl, Reddick looks like a top-15 pick after a great week of practices in Mobile and an elite combine performance, including a 4.52 40 and 11-foot-1-inch broad jump at 237 pounds. I see him as an off-the-ball LB in the pros, Mel; he possesses the speed and change-of-direction skills to be an effective at the next level.

Kiper: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
                    One of Trubisky and Watson will probably be available here at No. 12; can the Browns really pass on another potential franchise quarterback? They're getting this pick from last year's trade that netted the Eagles Carson Wentz, who flashed Pro Bowl potential as a rookie. Watson is certainly more experienced than Trubisky, and he's used to the bright lights that will shine on him on Day 1 in Cleveland.

McShay: O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
                    The Browns got an up-close look at Howard in January, coaching the star TE at the Senior Bowl. Trubisky would obviously be an option if the board fell this way, but at the moment I'm just not getting a strong QB vibe from the Browns, though it's still early. Selecting Howard would allow Cleveland to continue to develop its roster until it can find the QB it wants.

13. Arizona Cardinals
                    Kiper: Patrick Mahomes II, QB, Texas Tech
                    I had Watson here in Mock 3.0, and I'm sticking with a quarterback. This time it's the toolsy Mahomes, who is extremely raw but has undeniable arm talent. He was among my top risers after the combine, and I've moved him up to my No. 3 quarterback. In Arizona, he'd be able to sit behind Carson Palmer and continue his development. Mahomes needs at least one redshirt year.

McShay: Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
                    It's a little early for Mahomes, Mel, but you're right about one thing: The Cardinals need to start planning for life without Palmer. Trubisky has the natural accuracy and pocket mobility to develop into a quality starter. If neither of the top-two QBs (Watson or Trubisky) are available, I could see Arizona nabbing Alabama ILB Reuben Foster.

Kiper: Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State
                    Conley, another riser after the combine, is the veteran of the three Buckeyes defensive backs I have going in the top 14 picks. Philadelphia let Nolan Carroll II walk in free agency after he started 16 games last season, and the Eagles brought in former first-round pick Patrick Robinson on a one-year deal to compete at corner. Coordinator Jim Schwartz's defense is thin on the boundaries.

McShay: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
                    I love this fit. Darren Sproles turns 34 in June, and Philly needs a versatile playmaker out of the backfield. McCaffrey has the skill set to be a really good running back and wide receiver in the NFL. He showed tremendous short-area quickness at the combine (6.57-second three cone), which is readily apparent when watching McCaffrey's route-running.

15. Indianapolis Colts
                    Kiper: Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama
                    Foster is the best inside linebacker in this draft, but few teams above the Colts at No. 15 need inside linebackers. He's not dropping because of his bizarre combine ejection. This would be one of the best value picks of Round 1.

McShay: Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky
                    The Colts spent much of free agency adding more depth on defense, and while they still need more playmakers on that side of the ball, protecting Andrew Luck has to be a priority. Lamp is an excellent athlete, and the best all-around offensive lineman in this class. With Lamp, Jack Mewhortand last year's first-round pick Ryan Kelly, Indy would have a strong young interior O-line.

16. Baltimore Ravens
                    Kiper: Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA
                    Baltimore needs pass-rushers. Terrell Suggs, 34, was the only Raven to have more than five sacks last season (he had eight). McKinley is a speed rusher who could play outside linebacker in the Ravens' 3-4. He broke out in 2016 with 10 sacks and three forced fumbles for the Bruins.

McShay: Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
                    The Ravens spent the sixth overall pick last year on LT Ronnie Stanley, and Robinson is a natural fit on the right side. He still needs to improve his technique, but Robinson possesses excellent length (35-inch arms) and is an elite mauler in the run game.

17. Washington Redskins
                    Kiper: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
                    I could see McCaffrey jumping into the top 10 after his combine performance (4.48 40 and 37-inch vertical) proved his athleticism. For now I'm leaving him here, where he'd play some running back and slot receiver and return kicks and punts.

McShay: Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama
                    Some character red flags could cause Foster to slip (he was sent home early from the combine after an altercation with a hospital worker), but he's one of the 10 best football players in this draft. Foster would immediately fill the Redskins' need for a three-down inside linebacker.

18. Tennessee Titans
                    Kiper: Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
                    Davis, who had 331 catches for 5,278 yards and 52 touchdowns in his collegiate career, would immediately become Marcus Mariota's top target. The Titans like 2016 fifth-round pick Tajae Sharpe, but he's not a true No. 1 receiver. If Tennessee doesn't take a cornerback at No. 5, this could be the place for one -- it's a deep class.

McShay: Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
                    The Titans didn't upgrade their WR depth chart in free agency, but with two first-round picks, they'll have ample opportunity to do so in late April. While Williams will need to expand his route tree at the next level, he's an elite WR when the ball is in the air.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                    Kiper: David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.)
                    Jameis Winston's receiving corps has already been bolstered with the addition of DeSean Jackson, and Njoku would be another threat. He has the size (6-4, 246) and athleticism (4.64 40, 37-inch vertical and 11-foot-1 broad jump at the combine) to run past and jump over defenders. Cameron Brate had a breakout season in 2016 (57 catches, eight touchdowns), but Njoku's ceiling is higher. He could be an All-Pro.

McShay: David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.)
                    Mel is right about Njoku has freakish measurables. His 35-inch arms would be a good length for a left tackle, and they obviously help him as a blocker and in contested-catch situations. When you have a promising young quarterback like Winston, you need to continue stock piling weapons around him. Njoku would give Winston something he currently lacks: a field-stretcher down the seam.

20. Denver Broncos
                    Kiper: Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin
                    My first offensive tackle goes at No. 20 to Denver, which allowed 40 sacks last season and brought in Menelik Watson to play right tackle. He's not a lock to be an above-average player, though, and the 6-foot-6, 310-pound Ramczyk could compete at both tackle spots. He had hip surgery in January, but it shouldn't affect his availability for training camp.

McShay: Garett Bolles, OT, Utah
                    The most athletic left tackle prospect in this class, Bolles shows very good lateral agility in pass protection. And I love that he plays with an edge. Bolles has a lot of tools to develop, but after adding G Ronald Leary and OT Menelik Watson in free agency, Denver could allow Bolles to grow into a larger role.

21. Detroit Lions
                    Kiper: Charles Harris, DE, Missouri
                    Expect a defender for the Lions here, and I'm sticking with Harris, who had 16 sacks for the Tigers over the past two seasons. He's another one of the versatile pass-rushers from this class with 3-4 and 4-3 ability.

McShay: Takkarist McKinley, DE, UCLA
                    I agree that the Lions need to draft another pass-rusher opposite of Ezekiel Ansah, but I have McKinley graded slightly higher than Harris. Takk plays with an incredible motor; he just never quits. And while his technique still needs work, you can't teach his speed off the edge (4.59 40).

22. Miami Dolphins
                    Kiper: Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky
                    Laremy Tunsil is moving outside to left tackle -- as he should -- which means a guard spot opens up, and Lamp is the draft's best guard. This one makes too much sense. Miami could also target a linebacker or defensive back.

McShay: Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State
                    Conley has good tape, and his ball skills really stand out. His combine performance could vault him into the first round, after he ran a 4.44 40 at 6-foot and 195 pounds. Conley's length (33-inch arms) and experience (26 starts) will also be assets as he transitions to the NFL.

23. New York Giants
                    Kiper: Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida
                    An ankle injury kept Davis out of workouts at the combine, but he had a spectacular pro day, running a 4.56 40 with a 38-inch vertical. Kelvin Sheppard started 11 games at middle linebacker for the Giants last season, but he's a free agent, while 2016 first-round pick B.J. Goodson only played 14 snaps. The versatile Davis, my No. 2 inside linebacker, would slot in on Day 1.

McShay: Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State
                    McDowell is the most talented interior pass rusher in the draft, but he didn't play with the same passion and toughness this past season, which is a red flag. The veterans along the Giants' defensive line can show him how to be a pro.

24. Oakland Raiders
                    Kiper: Kevin King, CB, Washington
                    In a great class of cornerbacks, King stands out for his size (6-3, 200), and the 4.43 40 at the combine moved him up my board (No. 4 corner). After taking safety Karl Joseph on Day 1 last year, the Raiders are still trying to improve their secondary. Corner is a gaping hole headed into the draft.

McShay: Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida
                    Linebacker is another gaping hole in Oakland. The Raiders need better athletes in the second level. Davis is a Kwon Alexander-type, an explosive linebacker with sideline-to-sideline range in the run game and a relentless motor.

25. Houston Texans
                    Kiper: Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
                    Quarterback could be in play here after Tony Romo chose the CBS booth over playing for the Texans. I'm sticking with an eventual replacement for Duane Brown in Robinson. He's a powerful run-blocker but needs to clean up some things to reach his potential. Robinson could move inside to guard if necessary.

McShay: Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin
                    The Texans need more help up front, and Ramczyk has the requisite frame and athleticism to eventually develop into a prototypical NFL left tackle. He was a very consistent player in his lone season with the Badgers after transferring from UW-Stevens Point (Division III). The medical recheck will be important for Ramczyk's stock; he had hip surgery in January.

26. Seattle Seahawks
                    Kiper: Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
                    I gave the 6-3 King to the Seahawks in Mock 3.0, and Humphrey is another lanky corner who fits the Seattle mold, though he's 6-0, 197. DeShawn Shead will be back, but he tore his ACL in the playoffs and might not be 100 percent. That leaves a void at corner. If one of the top two offensive tackles drops, Seattle could pounce.

McShay: Kevin King, CB, Washington
                    Yes, O-line is a massive need, but there aren't any good value picks left. The Seahawks like corners with length, and King has plenty of that, standing 6-foot-3 with 32-inch arms. He showed outstanding explosiveness for a player his size, including a 4.43 40 and a 39-inch vertical.

27. Kansas City Chiefs
                    Kiper: DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame
                    Quarterback No. 4 in the first round is Kizer, the Notre Dame underclassman who, like Mahomes, is raw and talented. His college coach made news Monday by saying Kizer should have stayed in school another year, and I have said that all along. He needs a year or two behind a veteran in the NFL, and that fits in Kansas City, where Alex Smith is signed through 2018. Remember: Kansas City tried to trade up for Paxton Lynch last year, so we know the Chiefs are thinking about the future. Fifth-round pick Kevin Hogan didn't last long.

McShay: Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
                    Cook is perfect for Andy Reid's system. He is explosive in the open field and a natural pass-catcher out of the backfield. It wouldn't be a huge surprise to see Cook fall this far, given concerns over his shoulder, character baggage and fumbling issues.

28. Dallas Cowboys
                    Kiper: Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
                    With cornerbacks Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne and safeties Barry Church and J.J. Wilcox all gone in free agency, Peppers would probably play a hybrid safety role in Rod Marinelli's defense. He's a tremendous athlete (4.46 40, 35-inch vertical) and the best punt returner in this draft. Dallas could also look at the pass-rushers left on the board -- Taco Charlton makes sense if he's still around.

McShay: Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
                    Funny you should mention him, Mel. Charlton fits best as a 4-3 DE who can put his hand in the dirt and get after the passer. He isn't an elite player, but he played his best against top competition in 2016, compiling 5.5 sacks against Penn State, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Florida State.

29. Green Bay Packers
                    Kiper: Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
                    I love this fit for the Packers, who would get a home run hitter as both a runner and receiver. Ty Montgomery is slated to start for now, but Cook would be an instant upgrade. He has 38 rushing touchdowns the past two seasons.

McShay: Charles Harris, DE/OLB, Missouri
                    A twitched-up athlete, Harris is like a Tasmanian devil off the edge. He wins with speed and an elite first step. Harris also shows great range against the run, but he needs to get stronger to improve his play at the point of attack.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers
                    Kiper: Derek Barnett, OLB, Tennessee
                    Since Barnett is available at No. 30 in this mock, I'm switching from Houston's Tyus Bowser to Barnett, who was one of the most productive pass-rushers over the past three years (33 sacks). He fits the Steelers' physical 3-4.

McShay: John Ross, WR, Washington
                    With Martavis Bryant's suspension still in place (for now), the Steelers could very well be in the market for a speedy wide receiver to play opposite Antonio Brown come April. Ross broke the modern combine record with a 4.22 40. He has savvy route-running ability and reliable hands and will contribute as a returner.

31. Atlanta Falcons
                    Kiper: Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
                    Vic Beasley Jr. had 15.5 sacks last season, but no other Falcon had more than 4.5 (Adrian Clayborn). That's where Charlton comes in, and he can hold up against the run, too. He has very long arms, measuring at 34 inches.

McShay: Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
                    Dan Quinn has shown a willingness to bring in versatile defensive players (Keanu Neal and Deion Jones were the Falcons' first two picks last year). Indeed, Peppers has rare versatility and great straight-line speed (4.46 40), but he also shows limitations in coverage. Landing with an open-minded coach like Quinn would benefit Peppers in the long term

Kiper: John Ross, WR, Washington
                    With Brandin Cooks now in New England, Ross is an ideal replacement. Cooks ran a 4.33 40 at the combine, the fastest among receivers in 2014, and Ross set the combine record with a 4.22. Ross had 81 catches for 1,150 yards and 17 touchdowns last season. New Orleans needs defensive help, too, and could eye a corner.

McShay: Patrick Mahomes II, QB, Texas Tech
                    Mahomes is loaded with arm talent, but he'll need the sandlot aspect of his game coached out of him at the next level. The Saints are still searching for Drew Brees' heir apparent, and Mahomes fits the mold of a QB with upside, if given the time to develop.

Round 2

33. Cleveland Browns
                    Kiper: Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma
                    The Browns still have several needs. They could keep an eye on the pass-rushers and cornerbacks here, in particular, but I'm going with the dynamic Mixon, who could sneak into the first round. He has off-field issues and won't be on the draft boards for every team, but he's a tremendous talent. He had 65 catches and nine receiving touchdowns the past two seasons.

McShay: DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame
                    Kizer is not a finished product, but this would be a long-term play for the Browns and coach Hue Jackson. Kizer has an enticing physical skill set, including elite arm strength; his mechanics still need some work, though.

34. San Francisco 49ers
                    Kiper: Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut
                    Melifonwu might have been the biggest athletic freak at the combine, running a 4.40 40 and posting a ridiculous 44-inch vertical and 11-foot-9 broad jump. Both leaps ranked as the best of any prospect at the combine. Melifonwu has moved all the way up from the fourth-round grade I gave him during the season. He's a potential Day 1 pick now.

McShay: Obi Melifonwu, DB, Connecticut
                    You took the words (and the pick) right out of my mouth, Kiper. I have Melifonwu as my No. 33 overall player, but he could go higher if a team falls in love with his athleticism.

35. Jacksonville Jaguars
                    Kiper: Evan Engram, TE, Mississippi
                    The 6-3, 234-pound Engram was the fastest tight end at the combine (4.42 40). With Julius Thomas now in Miami, Engram fills a void in the Jags' offense. Engram had had 65 catches for 925 yards and eight touchdowns in 2016.

McShay: Evan Engram, TE, Mississippi
                    What I mentioned with the Jaguars' No. 4 overall pick holds true here, too: Finding more playmakers on offense has to be a priority in Jacksonville. Engram is a polished route-runner who has the speed and quickness to be a matchup problem in the NFL.

36. Chicago Bears
                    Kiper: Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
                    Chicago brought in Prince Amukamara and Marcus Cooper in free agency, and I had them taking a safety in Round 1, but the Bears' secondary could still use a boost. Awuzie, my No. 5 corner, is another big defender (6-0, 202) with dynamite athleticism (4.43 40, 11-foot broad jump at the combine).

McShay: Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida
                    Awuzie is one of my favorite under-the-radar players in this draft, but I like Wilson better for the Bears. Chicago had just eight INTs all last season (tied for 29th overall); Wilson has some of the best ball skills in this CB class.

37. Los Angeles Rams
                    Kiper: Garett Bolles, OT, Utah
                    Bolles (6-5, 297) is a mauler who is probably better on the right side. He started only one season for the Utes after coming over from a junior college, and his 4.95 40 at the combine was second among offensive linemen. Los Angeles brought in Andrew Whitworth to play left tackle, and former second-round pick Robert Havenstein is holding down the right side. Bolles could move inside.

McShay: Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
                    Because of his size (6-foot, 197) and fluidity in coverage, Humphrey has one of the highest ceilings of any cornerback in this year's class, but he needs to improve his ball skills. He fits best in a press-heavy scheme.

38. Los Angeles Chargers
                    Kiper: Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina
                    Jones is one of the biggest risers from the postseason process. He was great at Senior Bowl practices, and he impressed at the combine (4.45 40, 36-inch vertical, 11-foot-1 broad jump) at 6-2, 201. Jones led the FBS in catches last season with 158.

McShay: Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina
                    Jones accelerates upfield in a hurry, and at the Senior Bowl he showed the ability to beat press coverage. He also impressed with his route-running, which was a question mark initially with Jones because East Carolina's offense runs a limited route tree.

39. New York Jets
                    Kiper: Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston
                    Bowser is the rare top-end pass-rusher in this class who probably has to stick in a 3-4 defense, but he's a great fit for the Jets. At 6-3, 247, just stick him outside and let him rush the passer. He had 8.5 sacks in eight games last season.

McShay: Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU
                    White rarely looks panicked on tape, part of which can be traced back to having started 47 games at LSU. The Jets need a makeover in the secondary; selecting LSU teammates Jamal Adams and White with their first two picks would help accomplish that.

40. Carolina Panthers
                    Kiper: Antonio Garcia, OT, Troy
                    I expect the Panthers to pick an offensive tackle at some point in the draft, and the No. 8 overall pick is too high. They added Matt Kalil, but Mike Remmers left in free agency, and Michael Oher missed 13 games last season (concussion). Garcia, my No. 4 tackle, is athletic with quick feet.

McShay: Taylor Moton, OT/OG, Western Michigan
                    A four-year starter, Moton would be a great fit for Carolina's power run game. He proved to be very durable in college (52 career starts), and he will be able to provide depth at both guard and tackle early in his career.

41. Cincinnati Bengals
                    Kiper: Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State
                    On pure talent alone, McDowell might be a top-10 pick, and at 6-6 and 295 pounds, he's a physical specimen. But he didn't have a great junior season, posting just 1.5 sacks in eight games, and there are questions around the league about his effort.

McShay: T.J. Watt, DE/OLB, Wisconsin
                    Watt has just one year of notable production at linebacker after suffering a season-ending knee injury in 2014 and undergoing a position change from tight end. But his combine numbers showed his upside as a pass-rusher: 4.69 40, 37-inch vertical and 10-foot-8-inch broad jump at 6-foot-4 and 252 pounds.

42. New Orleans Saints
                    Kiper: Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU
                    A four-year starter for the Tigers, White could have been a Day 3 pick a year ago but made the right decision to return to school. If the Saints can't pry away Malcolm Butler from the Patriots, they could turn to a local product in White at the end of Day 1 or early on Day 2.

McShay: Tyus Bowser, DE/OLB, Houston
                    Bowser turned heads at the combine, finishing in the top five among linebackers in vertical and broad jumps, along with the 40-yard dash and three-cone drill. His explosive traits give him upside as an edge-rusher; the Saints continue to search for someone to play opposite of Cameron Jordan along the D-line.

43. Philadelphia Eagles
                    Kiper: Curtis Samuel, RB/WR, Ohio State
                    Carson Wentz has already gotten two new receivers in free agency (Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith), but he still lacks weapons. Samuel is a tweener. He's not an every-down back, and he's not big enough to be a full-time receiver (74 catches and 97 rushes last season). So the Eagles could use the electric Samuel in a Darren Sproles-type role -- just get him the ball in space.

McShay: Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan
                    Kiper gave the Eagles a cornerback in Round 1 (Gareon Conley), but they could wait until Day 2 to upgrade their secondary, given the depth of this class at cornerback. Teams will have to investigate Lewis recently being charged with domestic violence. He has natural cover skills, but off-field concerns and sub-optimal size (5-10, 188) could cause him to slide.

44. Buffalo Bills
                    Kiper: Adoree' Jackson, CB, USC
                    Jackson played corner and receiver and was a dynamic returner for the Trojans. He's only 5-10, 186, but I think he could play slot corner on Day 1 in the league. Jackson needs some work on technique, but he's very talented.

McShay: Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
                    You can't coach Cunningham's length (nearly 34-inch arms), athleticism (10-foot-5-inch broad jump) and range (in coverage and versus the run). He projects as an every-down LB in the NFL and could be a star if he improves his take-on skills and tackling as he gains more experience and strength.

45. Arizona Cardinals
                    Kiper: Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan
                    The Cardinals are still searching for a corner opposite Patrick Peterson. Brandon Williams, last year's third-round pick, was benched early and started only three games. Lewis isn't big (5-10, 188), but he was productive for the Wolverines. He pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence last month.

McShay: Adoree' Jackson, CB, USC
                    As Mel mentioned, Jackson has a chance to have a Tyreek Hill-level impact as a returner early in his career. His technique in coverage still needs polishing, but he has elite ball skills and the versatility to make an impact in a number of ways (including on offense).

46. Indianapolis Colts
                    Kiper: Dion Dawkins, OL, Temple
                    Dawkins, a four-year starter, could move inside in the NFL after playing left tackle for the Owls. At 6-4, 314 pounds, he's a dominant run blocker who has good footwork and gets to the second level with ease.

McShay: Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
                    A true pass-rush specialist who had 19.5 sacks in the past two seasons, Williams excels when his lone job is to attack the QB off the edge. But his off-field character concerns and lack of natural instincts could cause him to fall to Day 2.

47. Baltimore Ravens
                    Kiper: Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA
                    Moreau could drop a little farther after tearing a pectoral muscle at his pro day. He's expected to be ready for training camp, however, so I don't see him dropping much. Baltimore signed veteran corner Brandon Carrbut needs youth and depth.

McShay: Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State
                    It's hard for a 255-pounder to have a better combine performance than Willis: 4.53 40, 39-inch vertical, 4.28-second short shuttle. I didn't quite see that level of explosiveness when initially watching Willis' tape, but he certainly caught the eye of folks in the league.

48. Minnesota Vikings
                    Kiper: JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
                    The Vikings got only one catch out of their first-round pick from last year (Laquon Treadwell), and so they could use another wideout. Smith-Schuster had an inconsistent season, but he has No. 1 potential. He had 20 touchdowns the past two seasons.

McShay: Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida
                    A highly disruptive interior run defender, Brandley posted 16 total tackles for loss the past two seasons. He also showed more flashes as a pass-rusher than his 5.5 sacks since 2015 would suggest.

49. Washington Redskins
                    Kiper: Caleb Brantley, DT, Florida
                    Brantley, my No. 2 defensive tackle, was inconsistent during his career, but as Todd mentioned, he's incredibly disruptive when he's at his best. At 6-foot-3, 307, he'll get after quarterbacks. He could play end in a 3-4.

McShay: Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma
                    Mixon will be off some teams' boards because of a 2014 incident during which he punched a female student in the face. It's hard to imagine Mixon going undrafted, though, because he has the potential do be a starter from Day 1 at running back.

50. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                    Kiper: Taylor Moton, OT, Western Michigan
                    Moton, who played right guard and right tackle for the Broncos the past four years, has nice feet in pass protection and sustains his blocks well. He could be a long-term starter in the right situation.

McShay: Budda Baker, S, Washington
                    This would be a tremendous steal for the Bucs if Baker fell this far; he's my No. 25 overall player right now. Baker might get overlooked in comparison to Malik Hooker's ball production and Obi Melifonwu's freak athleticism, but he has very few weaknesses in his game.

51. Denver Broncos
                    Kiper: Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland
                    Shaheen is a huge target (6-6, 278) who dominated the GLIAC in Division II with 127 catches for 1,670 yards and 26 touchdowns over the past two seasons. Virgil Green, the Broncos' top tight end, caught only 22 passes last season.

McShay: Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland
                    Great minds, Kiper. Shaheen's tape almost looks like a video game. He practically ran over opposing defenses with a size/speed combination you rarely see at the TE position (4.79 40 at 278 pounds).

52. Cleveland Browns (from Titans)
                    Kiper: Marcus Maye, S, Florida
                    So that makes a defensive end, quarterback, running back and safety as four of the Browns' picks in the first two rounds. Maye broke his arm in November and played in only nine games, but he's an explosive defender. He forced five fumbles in 2015.

McShay: JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
                    Smith-Schuster played a ton of football at USC (39 starts), finishing his career with 213 catches for 3,092 yards and 25 TDs. With 4.54 speed, he doesn't profile as a deep threat in the NFL, but Smith-Schuster has solid size (6-1, 215) and reliable hands.

53. Detroit Lions
                    Kiper: Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida
                    After giving the Lions a pass-rusher at No. 21 overall, I'm giving them a corner here. At 6-1, 211 pounds, Wilson ran a 4.54 40. He isn't a speedster, but he has good ball skills and instincts. He improved immensely from 2015 to 2016.

McShay: Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
                    Mel rightfully hit on Awuzie's athleticism earlier, but the reason I love watching this guy's tape is because he hits in the run game. He was one of the most reliable open-field tacklers in college football among defensive backs.

54. Miami Dolphins
                    Kiper: Marcus Williams, DB, Utah
                    Miami just signed free-agent safety T.J. McDonald, but he's suspended for the first eight games of the season. Williams was a ballhawk for the Utes -- he had 10 interceptions the past two seasons. His 43-inch vertical was tied for second among prospects at the combine.

McShay: Dion Dawkins, G, Temple
                    Don't be surprised if the Dolphins continue their O-line rebuild in the early rounds a year after taking Laremy Tunsil at No. 13 overall. With 35-inch arms, Dawkins has the necessary length to potentially play tackle, but he lined up at guard during Senior Bowl practices, and that might end up being his best fit in the NFL.

55. New York Giants
                    Kiper: Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma
                    Perine is one of the toughest running backs I've seen in a while, and he'd be a great complementary pounder (5-11, 233) to Paul Perkins, whom the Giants took in the fifth round last year. Perine had 49 touchdown runs in three seasons for the Sooners.

McShay: Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma
                    I agree with everything Mel said. Perine made a habit of plowing through arm tackles at Oklahoma, and he'd take the pressure off Perkins to carry the load in New York's backfield.

56. Oakland Raiders
                    Kiper: Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee
                    Kamara split time in the Tennessee backfield and had only 210 carries over the past two seasons. The Raiders let Latavius Murray go, and they don't have a lead back. Expect Oakland to seek out one in the draft, unless the Raiders change their mind on Adrian Peterson.

McShay: Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee
                    An every-down back is one of the only things the Raiders are missing on offense. Kamara, my No. 28 overall player, could fall a bit if teams are spooked by his injury/suspension history. His jumps at the combine showed off rare lower-body explosiveness: Kamara posted the best vertical (39 inches) and broad jump (10 feet, 11 inches) among all the running backs.

57. Houston Texans
                    Kiper: Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh
                    After passing on a quarterback in Round 1, I'm giving the Texans the first QB of Round 2. Peterman was the only signal-caller to beat Deshaun Watson and Clemson last season, passing for five TDs and no interceptions. He could come in and compete with Tom Savage after Houston got rid of Brock Osweiler. The Texans have some talent on offense, but they need consistent QB play.

McShay: Marcus Maye, S, Florida
                    Extremely reliable in run support, Maye is the total package at safety. He's not quite as violent a hitter as 2016 first-round pick (and former Gators safety) Keanu Neal, but Maye is steadier in coverage and had good ball production, including 17 pass breakups and eight interceptions.

58. Seattle Seahawks
                    Kiper: T.J. Watt, OLB, Wisconsin
                    He'll probably always be known as J.J. Watt's little brother, but T.J. can play: He had 11.5 sacks last season. At 6-4, 252 pounds, he's not as big as his brother, and he'll play a different position (OLB in a 3-4 or DE in a 4-3), but he could be a useful rotational piece in the league. Seattle seems like a good fit.

McShay: Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, Texas A&M
                    Eluemunor has average athleticism, and at the next level he might be best suited as a guard, where he can maximize his size (6-4, 332 pounds) and natural power. If the board doesn't fall right for the Seahawks in Round 1, they might be forced to reach for an O-lineman like Eluemunor on Day 2.

59. Kansas City Chiefs
                    Kiper: Budda Baker, S, Washington
                    If Baker were bigger, I think he'd be a top-15 pick, but his 5-10 frame will scare off a few teams. He could line up in the slot, play deep safety or help in run support in the box. Wherever he lands in the draft, I expect to see him on my Rookie Big Board throughout the 2017 season.

McShay: Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh
                    Peterman is a good fit for a precision- and timing-based offense that focuses on short-to-intermediate routes. In other words, he'd be the ideal QB for Andy Reid to bring in and start developing.

60. Dallas Cowboys
                    Kiper: Jordan Willis, DE/OLB, Kansas State
                    One of the most productive defenders in the country (21 sacks over the past two seasons), Willis put up eye-catching numbers at the combine -- his 4.53 40-yard dash and 39-inch vertical were second among defensive linemen. You don't often see that combination of production and athleticism. A pass-rusher is just what Dallas needs.

McShay: Josh Jones, S, N.C. State
                    After passing on a safety in Round 1, the Cowboys could target one here. Jones gets downhill in a hurry in run support, using his 220-pound frame and 4.41 speed to deliver a punishing blow. He has the athleticism and versatility to play in the box and in center field.

61. Green Bay Packers
                    Kiper: Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington
                    Kupp is ready to play right away -- don't let his competition level fool you. He caught more than 400 passes in his career. At 6-foot-2, 204, he's not a speedster (4.62 40 at the combine), but he has fantastic hands.

McShay: Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA
                    Moreau, who started 40 games at UCLA, needs to improve his ball skills, but he has top-tier coverage ability and physical tools. At the combine, he recorded a 4.35 40, 4.21-second short shuttle, 38-inch vertical and 11-foot-4-inch broad jump. His pro-day pectoral injury looms as a wild card.

62. Pittsburgh Steelers
                    Kiper: Chris Wormley, DT, Michigan
                    Wormley is only the third defensive tackle I have going in the first two rounds. He had 12.5 sacks for the Wolverines the past two seasons, and he has tremendous size at 6-5, 298.

McShay: Derek Rivers, DE/OLB, Youngstown State
                    Rivers dominated small-school competition the past three seasons, with 160 total tackles, 52 tackles for loss and 38 sacks. After he weighed in at 248 pounds and posted top-five marks among defensive linemen in the 40-yard dash (4.61), bench press (30), vertical jump (35 inches) and three-cone drill (6.94), it's clear Rivers could make the transition to a 3-4 OLB in the pros.

63. Atlanta Falcons
                    Kiper: Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
                    The Falcons have some depth in the secondary and could afford to redshirt Jones, who tore his Achilles' at the Washington pro day. I thought he'd be taken in the first 15 or 20 picks before his injury.

McShay: Chris Wormley, DT, Michigan
                    Wormley does his best work against the run and posted 23 tackles for loss in his past two seasons. The Falcons could use more help in that regard along the interior of their D-line.

64. Carolina Panthers (from Patriots)
                    Kiper: Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
                    Williams is a stellar pass-rusher who needs to improve the rest of his game. He didn't put up big numbers at the combine, including a 4.68 40 and 33-inch vertical, and he's a little small at 6-3 and 244 pounds, but he could find a role as a pass-rusher in a 3-4.

McShay: D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas
                    A one-year starter, Foreman rushed for more yards per game (184.4) than any other back in the FBS last year. He reportedly ran in the mid 4.4s at his pro day after weighing in at 234 pounds. That's an excellent size/speed combination. While his pass-catching limitations might cause him to fall, Foreman would be a good Day 2 backup plan for the Panthers if they're unable to nab Leonard Fournette in Round 1.

Comment

McShay's GM mock draft: Three rounds of perfect picks
                      Houston Texans

Round 1 (25): Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin
                      Round 2 (57): Josh Jones, S, North Carolina State
                      Round 3 (89): Joshua Dobbs, QB, Tennessee

Ramczyk, who played only one year of major college football after transferring from Division III, is a fringe first-round talent, but so was everyone else still on the board at No. 25 (yes, including the quarterbacks). Houston has a major need at right tackle. Does Ramczyk have the skill set to make that transition after playing on the left side in college? Private workouts could help sway teams one way or another. The Texans don't have much experience at safety right now. Jones isn't a finished product either, but his athleticism (4.41 40 at 220 pounds) and versatility are intriguing. Teams like the Texans, who don't have a long-term answer at QB, should take a passer every single year, hence the selection of Dobbs. He has intriguing physical tools as a dual-threat QB, but he's very much a work in progress as a passer.

Comment

Mel Kiper's 2017 'Grade: A' three-round mock draft

It's time for my annual three-round mock draft, which has a simple concept: I'm the general manager for each team at each pick, from No. 1 to No. 107.

I'm not projecting picks based on what I'm hearing around the league. This is me making 107 picks -- three full rounds -- based on what's best for each team at that slot, so that each team gets an "A" grade.

The ground rules:

At each slot, I make a pick in the best interest of only the team with the pick. I won't pass on a player at No. 4 just because I like the team at No. 5 better.

No trades unless they have already happened. I try to address team needs, but as with the actual draft, value can supersede need.

Once again, I'm not projecting. It's more a look at where I see value up and down the board, based on my rankings.

There's a team-by-team look with my full analysis below, as well as a pick-by-pick version, so you can see how the order of the picks progressed and get an idea of who was off the board when each team selected. ...

Houston Texans

Round 1 (25): Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
                        Round 2 (57): Nathan Peterman, QB, Pitt
                        Round 3 (89): Taywan Taylor, WR, Western Kentucky

Once again, the 25 spot is a reach for quarterbacks, according to my rankings. I'll give Bill O'Brien's squad an eventual replacement for Duane Brown in Robinson, who is a powerful run-blocker but needs to clean up some things to reach his potential. That means I'm going with a quarterback in the second round, and it's Peterman, my No. 4-ranked signal-caller. He doesn't have big-time arm strength, but that should improve when he gets into the league. He's a steady QB with room to grow into a starter and could compete with Tom Savage. Taylor, who had 34 touchdown catches the past two seasons, doesn't have ideal size (5-foot-11, 203 pounds) or speed (4.50 40), but he could develop into a reliable No. 3 receiver.
                        Here are the picks:
                        PICK # TEAM PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
                        1 Cleveland Myles Garrett DE Texas A&M
                        2 San Francisco Solomon Thomas DL Stanford
                        3 Chicago Jamal Adams S LSU
                        4 Jacksonville Jonathan Allen DL Alabama
                        5 Tennessee Reuben Foster ILB Alabama
                        6 NY Jets O.J. Howard TE Alabama
                        7 LA Chargers Mike Williams WR Clemson
                        8 Carolina Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford
                        9 Cincinnati Haason Reddick LB Temple
                        10 Buffalo Jabrill Peppers S Buffalo
                        11 New Orleans Marshon Lattimore CB Ohio State
                        12 Cleveland Mitchell Trubisky QB North Carolina
                        13 Arizona Corey Davis WR Western Michigan
                        14 Philadelphia Gareon Conley CB Ohio State
                        15 Indianapolis Leonard Fournette RB LSU
                        16 Baltimore Forrest Lamp OG Ball State
                        17 Washington Malik Hooker S Ohio State
                        18 Tennessee Marlon Humphrey CB Alabama
                        19 Tampa Bay John Ross WR Washington
                        20 Denver Ryan Ramczyk OT Wisconsin
                        21 Detroit Kevin King CB Washington
                        22 Miami Jarrad Davis LB Florida
                        23 NY Giants Charles Harris DE Missouri
                        24 Oakland Tre'Davious White CB LSU
                        25 Houston Cam Robinson OT Alabama
                        26 Seattle Garett Bolles OT Utah
                        27 Kansas City Zach Cunningham ILB Vanderbilt
                        28 Dallas Derek Barnett DE Tennessee
                        29 Green Bay Takkarist McKinley OLB UCLA
                        30 Pittsburgh Zay Jones WR East Carolina
                        31 Atlanta Taco Charlton DE Michigan
                        32 New Orleans Adoree' Jackson CB USC
                        33 Cleveland Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan
                        34 San Francisco Patrick Mahomes II QB Texas Tech
                        35 Jacksonville Evan Engram TE Ole Miss
                        36 Chicago DeMarcus Walker DE Florida State
                        37 LA Rams Antonio Garcia OT Troy
                        38 LA Chargers Dion Dawkins OL Temple
                        39 NY Jets Deshaun Watson QB Clemson
                        40 Carolina Jordan Willis DE Kansas State
                        41 Cincinnati Chris Wormley DT Michigan
                        42 New Orleans Curtis Samuel WR Ohio State
                        43 Philadelphia Marcus Maye S Florida
                        44 Buffalo David Njoku TE Miami (Fla.)
                        45 Arizona Desmond King CB Iowa
                        46 Indianapolis Malik McDowell DT Michigan State
                        47 Baltimore T.J. Watt OLB Wisconsin
                        48 Minnesota Caleb Brantley DT Florida
                        49 Washington Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
                        50 Tampa Bay Budda Baker S Washington
                        51 Denver Adam Shaheen TE Ashland
                        52 Cleveland Josh Jones S NC State
                        53 Detroit Joe Mixon RB Oklahoma
                        54 Miami Chidobe Awuzie CB Colorado
                        55 NY Giants Marcus Williams S Utah
                        56 Oakland Carlos Watkins DT Clemson
                        57 Houston Nathan Peterman QB Pitt
                        58 Seattle Ahkello Witherspoon CB Colorado
                        59 Kansas City Chris Godwin WR Penn State
                        60 Dallas Fabian Moreau CB UCLA
                        61 Green Bay Sidney Jones CB Washington
                        62 Pittsburgh Tyus Bowser OLB Houston
                        63 Atlanta Obi Melifonwu S Connecticut
                        64 Carolina Taylor Moton OT Western Michigan
                        65 Cleveland Kareem Hunt RB Toledo
                        66 San Francisco Quincy Wilson CB Florida
                        67 Chicago Damontae Kazee CB San Diego State
                        68 Jacksonville Aviante Collins OT TCU
                        69 LA Rams ArDarius Stewart WR Alabama
                        70 NY Jets Dan Feeney OG Indiana
                        71 Los Angeles Chargers Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa
                        72 New England Carl Lawson DE Auburn
                        73 Cincinnati JuJu Smith-Schuster WR USC
                        74 Baltimore Jake Butt TE Michigan
                        75 Buffalo Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington
                        76 New Orleans Joshua Dobbs QB Tennessee
                        77 Arizona Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State
                        78 Baltimore Carlos Henderson WR Louisiana Tech
                        79 Minnesota Duke Riley LB LSU
                        80 Indianapolis Jermaine Eluemunor OG Texas A&M
                        81 Washington Montravius Adams DT Auburn
                        82 Denver Trey Hendrickson DE Florida A&M
                        83 Tennessee Mack Hollins WR North Carolina
                        84 Tampa Bay Jordan Leggett TE Clemson
                        85 Detroit Tarell Basham DE Ohio
                        86 Minnesota Amara Darboh WR Michigan
                        87 NY Giants Samaje Perine RB Oklahoma
                        88 Oakland D'Onta Foreman RB Texas
                        89 Houston Taywan Taylor WR Western Kentucky
                        90 Seattle Larry Ogunjobi DT Charlotte
                        91 Kansas City Alvin Kamara RB Tennessee
                        92 Dallas Gerald Everett TE South Alabama
                        93 Green Bay James Conner RB Pitt
                        94 Pittsburgh Rasul Douglas CB Western Virginia
                        95 Atlanta Dorian Johnson OG Pitt
                        96 New England Ryan Anderson OLB Alabama
                        97 Miami Zach Banner OG USC
                        98 Carolina Adam Bisnowaty OT Pitt
                        99 Philadelphia Tanoh Kpassagnon DE Villanova
                        100 Tennessee Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech
                        101 Denver Isaiah McKenzie WR/KR/PR Georgia
                        102 Seattle Tim Williams OLB Alabama
                        103 New Orleans Derek Rivers OLB Youngstown State
                        104 Kansas City DeShone Kizer QB Notre Dame
                        105 Pittsburgh Kendell Beckwith ILB LSU
                        106 Seattle Dalvin Tomlinson DT Alabama
                        107 NY Jets Alex Anzalone OLB Florida

Comment

Todd /Mel ESPN 4-20-17
                          Takkarist McKinley OLB DE UCLA
                          Another edge rusher on D with 1-25 and it's not TJ?

With
                          Ryan Ramczyk OT Wisconsin
                          still on the board?

https://youtu.be/7WAwuSK36Gw
                          https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Surely the Front Office knows that when you've got underperformance, you fix from the inside out .... no matter which side of the ball .... surely ! Oh wait, that's Leslie Nielson's handle.
                            "I disapprove of what you say, I will however, defend to the death, your right to say it!" -
                            Voltaire

Comment

Mel Kiper's final 2017 NFL mock draft
                              Finally, it's NFL draft day. Soon I'll get to stop projecting picks, and teams will actually start making them.

But for now, it's my final first-round mock of draft season.

A reminder: This is not a reflection of where I have players ranked. My final Big Board and Top 300 is here. This mock is simply a projection of where I think guys can come off the board based on what I'm hearing. And remember, these are the picks right now, and so trades could blow up everything.

Live coverage of the draft begins Thursday at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN and WatchESPN.

1. Cleveland Browns
                              How's this for a curveball to begin the night? The thinking is the Browns get antsy about Trubisky being available at No. 12 and don't find any takers to trade up. Could Cleveland ownership get involved and insist on a QB here? Remember, the Browns passed on Carson Wentz last year and really need a franchise-changer at the position. Myles Garrett is my No. 1-ranked prospect.
                              2. San Francisco 49ers
                              The 49ers might run to the podium if Garrett is available here, assuming they can't find any takers who want to trade up to take Garrett. He is a brilliant, natural pass-rusher with elite size and athleticism.
                              3. Chicago Bears
                              Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford
                              Jamal Adams will be in play here, but I'm going with the versatile Thomas. He'd play end in Chicago's 4-3. After snagging Leonard Floyd in last year's first round, the Bears are building a solid front seven.
                              4. Jacksonville Jaguars
                              When new Jaguars executive vice president for football operations Tom Coughlin was Jacksonville's coach, he had Fred Taylor as his workhorse back. I think Coughlin will go get another guy who can pile up carries -- and hopefully touchdowns, for the sake of Jaguars fans -- to help Blake Bortles.
                              Jamal Adams, S, LSU
                              This is a potential trading spot for teams trying to jump in front of the Jets and take Mitchell Trubisky. General manager Jon Robinson already has shown that he isn't afraid to deal -- he moved out of the No. 1 pick, then moved up to No. 8 last year. Adams is simply the best prospect left on the board and a steal at No. 5 overall. Top cornerback Marshon Lattimore is another possibility if the Titans keep the pick.
                              6. New York Jets
                              O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
                              With Mitchell Trubisky off the board, the Jets go with the draft's best tight end and one of the safest prospects in the class. Howard is an all-around player who is a great blocker and receiver. This is another potential landing spot for Marshon Lattimore.
                              7. Los Angeles Chargers
                              This could be the shocker on Thursday night. The 35-year-old Philip Rivers has taken a lot of hits over the years, and the Chargers could want a fresh start after moving to L.A. Another name to watch is Malik Hooker, the best center fielder-type safety in this class.
                              8. Carolina Panthers
                              This is a perfect fit. McCaffrey is more than a running back -- he'll also help in the receiving and return games. That's just another weapon for Cam Newton & Co.
                              9. Cincinnati Bengals
                              Allen at No. 9 is all about best player available -- he's my No. 2-ranked prospect. He can play anywhere on the line. The Bengals could be tempted to take a linebacker (Haason Reddick, maybe?) or pass-rusher (Derek Barnett fits) here.
                              10. Buffalo Bills
                              This came down to Reuben Foster or Reddick, and the Bills can't go wrong. Buffalo needs speed at linebacker, even with all of the wide receivers still on the board. With last year's second-round pick Reggie Ragland slotted in at middle linebacker, I'm going with Reddick, who's more versatile than Foster and could move outside.
                              11. New Orleans Saints
                              Derek Barnett, DE/OLB, Tennessee
                              With Reddick off the board, New Orleans could move on to the pass-rushers and choose from the next tier. Barnett is a Terrell Suggs-type who was extremely productive in college (33.0 career sacks).
                              Lattimore could drop if there are lingering concerns about his hamstrings, which hampered him his first two years as a Buckeye. He's my top corner, though, even with only one season of tape, and he has all the traits of an All-Pro. The Browns also could try to trade up.
                              13. Arizona Cardinals
                              This is great value at No. 13, getting the draft's top receiver. Williams could be a younger version of Larry Fitzgerald, who turns 34 this year. Arizona will hope Williams becomes what it thought former first-round pick Michael Floyd was going to be.
                              If Mike Williams and Christian McCaffrey are off the board, the Eagles could opt to go with a pass-rusher. Harris, who had 16.0 sacks over the past two seasons, is the best in the next tier.
                              15. Indianapolis Colts
                              Takkarist McKinley, OLB/DE, UCLA
                              New general manager Chris Ballard came from the Chiefs, who put a premium on collecting pass-rushers and generating pressure. Robert Mathis has retired, and Indianapolis doesn't have any outside linebackers with double-digit sack potential. The speed rusher McKinley could be that guy in the Colts' 3-4.
                              16. Baltimore Ravens
                              Baltimore is in a good spot to choose from the top offensive linemen, but Davis would be tough to pass up. He's stellar after the catch and would help stretch the field for Joe Flacco. Former first-round pick Breshad Perriman has only 33 catches since being picked in 2015. Davis could play inside or outside.
                              17. Washington Redskins
                              The Redskins are moving Su'a Cravens, last year's second-round pick, to safety, but he's an in-the-box guy. They still need a center fielder, and Hooker is a ball hawk. He had seven interceptions -- three for touchdowns -- in his lone season as a starter.
                              18. Tennessee Titans
                              With Corey Davis gone, Ross is the next-best pass-catcher available. His 4.22 40 speed is his greatest asset, but he's a well-rounded receiver. He also could be an elite kick returner.
                              19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                              Tampa Bay could upgrade at right tackle over Demar Dotson. The Bucs have to protect Jameis Winston. Tight end David Njoku is also in play here.
                              20. Denver Broncos
                              The Broncos have to get a left tackle in this draft. I don't trust Donald Stephenson or Ty Sambrailo to get the job done. Ramczyk was great in his one year as starter at Wisconsin. Another connection: Geep Chryst, the brother of Badgers coach Paul Chryst, is Denver's new tight ends coach.
                              21. Detroit Lions
                              The Lions have needs at linebacker, cornerback and end on defense, and Davis would be a great fit. He is a steady, reliable and versatile defender with a nose for the football. And I love his intangibles.
                              22. Miami Dolphins
                              Foster has some off-field concerns that could cause him to drop, but the fit is too perfect here. Miami needs linebackers to play next to Kiko Alonso. Foster is one of the three most talented prospects in this class. That would make it two straight seasons Miami takes a super-talented guy who dropped on draft day (Laremy Tunsil in 2016).
                              23. New York Giants
                              The Giants struggled on offense last season, and New York is missing a playmaker at tight end. Njoku is one of the most athletic tight ends to enter the league in recent years. Eli Manning targeted Odell Beckham Jr. 169 times last season -- the second most in the league. Njoku, who turns 21 in July, could be a big-time weapon in the NFL.
                              24. Oakland Raiders
                              In a deep class of cornerbacks, King stands out for his size (6-foot-3, 200 pounds). After taking safety Karl Joseph on Day 1 last year, the Raiders are still trying to improve their secondary. Corner is a gaping hole.
                              25. Houston Texans
                              Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
                              Don't be surprised if Mahomes is available and the Texans make a decision between him and the best available offensive tackle. After missing out on Tony Romo, Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden are Houston's QBs. Mahomes could be an upgrade -- in time. He is extremely raw but has undeniable arm talent.
                              26. Seattle Seahawks
                              There's still a chance Richard Sherman leaves Seattle, and the Seahawks' other starter, DeShawn Shead, is coming back from a torn ACL he suffered in the playoffs. White, a four-year starter, is also a dynamic punt returner. This Seahawks pick could come down to corner vs. offensive line.
                              27. Kansas City Chiefs
                              Evan Engram, WR/TE, Ole Miss
                              Yes, the Chiefs have All-Pro tight end Travis Kelce, but don't think of Engram as a tight end. He's a big (6-3, 234) receiver who could line up off tackle. His 4.42 40 at the combine wowed scouts.
                              28. Dallas Cowboys
                              The Cowboys' secondary was depleted in free agency. Humphrey, my second-ranked corner, has elite upside. Dallas also will be keeping an eye on pass-rushers. This is a defensive draft for Jerry Jones & Co.
                              29. Green Bay Packers
                              This is an easy pick with the draft's top guard still on the board. The Packers lost T.J. Lang in free agency, and they'd be getting a Pro Bowl talent who could start immediately. Lamp was a four-year starter at left tackle for the Hilltoppers.
                              30. Pittsburgh Steelers
                              Budda Baker, S, Washington
                              I've said many times that if Baker were bigger, I think he'd be a top-15 pick, and I'm moving him into the first round in my final mock. His 5-foot-10 frame is the only thing holding him back. But he has some value as a slot corner. He's that good in coverage.
                              31. Atlanta Falcons
                              Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State
                              Atlanta needs a 4-3 end who can rush the passer and also hold up in the running game opposite Vic Beasley Jr. Willis is a high-character kid who consistently beat double-teams for the Wildcats. If Forrest Lamp makes it here, he'd make sense too.
                              Adoree' Jackson, CB, USC
                              Jackson is still a work in progress at corner, but the tools are there. He's only 5-10, 186, but I think he could play slot corner from day one in the league. He's also my second-ranked punt returner, and I wouldn't be surprised if Sean Payton gave Jackson a handful of offensive plays every game.

Comment

Todd McShay's final 2017 NFL mock draft
                                Draft day is finally here.

I've done four mock drafts up until this point going as far back as December, and here you have my final projection of all 32 first-round picks. As a reminder, this is what I think the teams will do, not what I would do if I were running each franchise. Oh, and no trades are allowed.

1. Cleveland Browns
                                Everything I hear suggests the Browns like Trubisky the best among the QBs. It's unlikely he drops to No. 12, where Cleveland picks again. So the questions become: Take Myles Garrett here and try to trade back up for Trubisky? Or take the QB and address pass-rusher at No. 12? Fascinating decision.
                                2. San Francisco 49ers
                                I keep hearing the 49ers want to trade back, but Garrett unexpectedly falling to them would be a slam dunk for a team that needs more pass-rush help.
                                3. Chicago Bears
                                Jamal Adams, S, LSU
                                Adams is the No. 2 player on our board and one of the cleanest prospects in a class full of character and durability question marks. He'd be an impact player for this defense from day one. 2017
                                4. Jacksonville Jaguars
                                I would love this pick if it ends up happening. Take some pressure off QB Blake Bortles, run the football and play defense. If Fournette were off the board at this point, Alabama TE O.J. Howard would be in play. I've also heard rumors of potential interest in Clemson QB Deshaun Watson.
                                The Titans will try to shop this pick -- and shop it even harder if both Adams and Lattimore are gone. But the way the board fell, Tennessee gets the best man-to-man cover corner in the draft. According to many teams I've spoken to, Lattimore's hamstring injuries don't pose as big of a risk as initially thought.
                                6. New York Jets
                                O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
                                The Jets can't afford to whiff on a top-10 pick like they did back in 2013 with Dee Milliner. Howard is one of the safest prospects in this draft. He's very similar to Greg Olsen: a big, athletic target who can cause issues down the seam and contribute as a blocker. The Jets have had just 26 catches from tight ends in the past two seasons, by far the fewest in the league. (Arizona is second worst with 97.)
                                7. Los Angeles Chargers
                                Solomon Thomas, DT, Stanford
                                Los Angeles is another sneaky landing spot for Deshaun Watson, but would the Chargers be able to pass up the value of Thomas here? (He's the No. 3 player on our board.) He'd add a great pass-rusher to Los Angeles' front.
                                8. Carolina Panthers
                                My intel says that Carolina wants Fournette -- and it might be willing to trade up to get him. But the Panthers also are big fans of McCaffrey. He has outstanding intangibles and would give Carolina a young RB who can run between the tackles and be a threat as a slot receiver.
                                9. Cincinnati Bengals
                                Jonathan Allen, DT, Alabama
                                Cincinnati likes Tennessee DE Derek Barnett, and Alabama LB Reuben Foster also could be in play here. But I think Allen will be the pick if he falls this far. He's a ferocious interior pass-rusher. Long-term concerns over the health of his shoulders could cause him to fall a bit on Thursday.
                                10. Buffalo Bills
                                Foster is one of the five best pure football players in this draft. He could drop because of concerns about whom he surrounds himself with. But he's a true three-down linebacker, with the speed to cover and the tackling ability to stuff the run.
                                11. New Orleans Saints
                                Harris is a hot name right now because of his ability to get after the quarterback. New Orleans has to find a way to get better in that area.
                                Barnett finished his career with 33 sacks. He's not the longest or twitchiest athlete, but he plays with great technique and a consistent motor.
                                13. Arizona Cardinals
                                Hooker had three different surgeries this offseason, which could cause him to fall further than expected. This would be a blessing for the Cardinals, who lost safeties Tony Jefferson and D.J. Swearinger in free agency. Hooker is the best ball-hawking safety in this draft class.
                                The Eagles picked up Alshon Jeffery on a reasonable one-year deal this offseason. Williams -- who's basically a clone of Jeffery from when he came out of South Carolina -- would benefit from not having to be the focal point of an offense from day one. His route running is still pretty raw.
                                15. Indianapolis Colts
                                The Colts love Alabama LB Reuben Foster, but he didn't fall to them in this scenario. Reddick has elite athleticism and showed the ability to play in space during a superb Senior Bowl week.
                                16. Baltimore Ravens
                                The Ravens are hoping Reddick falls to them here. They also need offensive line help, which is where Lamp comes in. He started all four seasons in college, and he has great feet.
                                17. Washington Redskins
                                The Redskins could trade back and try to still get Cook. He fills a huge need on their offense and has game-breaking ability. The two concerns: his history of shoulder issues and the people he surrounds himself with.
                                18. Tennessee Titans
                                Davis wasn't able to run the 40-yard dash before the draft after having offseason ankle injury. But he plays like a 4.4 guy and is a really smooth route runner. Marcus Mariota needs more weapons on the perimeter.
                                19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                                The Buccaneers really like Cook, but with him off the board, Humphrey would be enticing. He has the physical skill set to be a really good player; the only concern is his lack of ball skills
                                20. Denver Broncos
                                Ramczyk showed elite pass-protection ability in his one season at Wisconsin, and the Broncos have to find a way to keep their quarterback upright next season. He has the skill set to start early in his career, provided his hip heals fine from offseason surgery.
                                21. Detroit Lions
                                As TE Eric Ebron enters what could be the final year of his contract, don't be surprised if the Lions take advantage of a very deep tight end class. Njoku has the athleticism to cause all sorts of problems for defenses in the red zone.
                                22. Miami Dolphins
                                Takkarist McKinley, DE, UCLA
                                McKinley has the best motor of any defensive player I've watched all year. He has an elite first step and would give Miami a high-upside player to develop opposite of Cameron Wake.
                                23. New York Giants
                                Garett Bolles, OT, Utah
                                Ereck Flowers hasn't gotten the job done at left tackle since the Giants selected him No. 9 overall in 2015. Bolles, who's the most athletic lineman in this class, has the ability to be a starting left tackle.
                                24. Oakland Raiders
                                While King's tape is closer to that of a second-round prospect, his rare combination of length, speed and agility could very well land him in Round 1.
                                25. Houston Texans
                                Watson isn't ready to start from day one, and with Tom Savage in Houston, he wouldn't have to. Watson needs to improve his deep accuracy, but he has the physical tools and rare intangibles to grow into a good NFL starter.
                                26. Seattle Seahawks
                                Robinson is an elite run-blocker, and his long arms give him a chance to eventually develop into a starting left tackle. He could play either tackle or guard for the Seahawks in the interim, as they have needs at several positions along their O-line.
                                27. Kansas City Chiefs
                                Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida
                                The Chiefs love Davis and would be thrilled if he fell here. Derrick Johnson is 34 and coming off his second torn Achilles in the past three seasons. Davis has the athleticism to excel in the modern NFL, which forces linebackers to cover a lot of ground.
                                28. Dallas Cowboys
                                I've been hearing Kevin King buzz with the Cowboys, but with him off the board, Dallas could be enticed by a safe prospect like White. He started 47 games at LSU and showed great instincts in coverage.
                                29. Green Bay Packers
                                Adoree' Jackson, CB, USC
                                Jackson has the second-best ball skills in this defensive back class (behind Malik Hooker), and the Packers really struggled at cornerback late in the season. Jackson is a natural playmaker on defense (five picks last season) and special teams (eight career return TDs).
                                30. Pittsburgh Steelers
                                Evan Engram, TE, Mississippi
                                Engram is the model for a new-age tight end. He ran a 4.42 40-yard dash at 234 pounds, which is just ridiculous. With his ability to stretch the field vertically and make big plays after the catch, Engram would be the perfect matchup piece for offensive coordinator Todd Haley's scheme.
                                31. Atlanta Falcons
                                When he's healthy, Ross is the top big-play wide receiver in this class. His 4.22 speed is no joke: When you watch his tape, he's noticeably faster than other really speedy guys.
                                ​Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
                                Here's the deal: I think Mahomes will go in the first round; there just wasn't a great spot to put him without being able to account for trades. I suppose he could be in play for the Saints, who need to start planning for life without Drew Brees, but there's a good chance Mahomes is off the board at this point. Other teams to keep an eye on for Mahomes if the board falls differently Thursday: Arizona and Kansas City. A team also could trade back into Round 1 to take him.

Comment

Working...
                                X