Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016/17 NFL Head Coach & General Manager/Front Office news

Report: Bowles unlikely to be fired by Jets

The New York Daily News' Gary Myers reports Todd Bowles will be back as the Jets' coach in 2017.

It's hard to put the blame squarely on Bowles' shoulders for the Jets' disappointing 4-11 (to this point) season. Ryan Fitzpatrick had an outlier season in 2015, playing the best he ever has in his career that year, and the Jets went all in on him again for 2016 only to see FitzMagic revert to his old ways as a turnover machine. Eric Decker also only played three games before season-ending shoulder and hip surgeries. Bowles' defense also crumbled, but Darrelle Revis took a noticeable hit from Father Time, and DE Muhammad Wilkerson is a year removed from a broken leg. Bowles appears set to get a third year at the helm, but GM Mike Maccagnan is going to have to restock the cupboard and needs to find an answer at quarterback.
    Source: New York Daily News
    Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Persistent rumor since the "complex migraine" in October...

MSN Sports @MSNSports
    Is Kubiak preparing to resign as head coach of the Broncos?

...there continues to be speculation in league circles about whether Arizona’s Bruce Arians or Denver’s Gary Kubiak could walk away in the near future. Both had health issues this year...
    Arians, too.
    Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
      San Francisco is expected to make sweeping changes, dismissing both HC Chip Kelly and GM Trent Baalke, league sources tell ESPN.

Giving Chip one year is kind of silly,

But nobody accused Jed York of being sharpest tool in the shed.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

Giving Chip one year is kind of silly,

But nobody accused Jed York of being sharpest tool in the shed.
        Then again, is Chip really a nfl or college HC?
        2-13 is not an enviable record.
        1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
          Persistent rumor since the "complex migraine" in October...

MSN Sports @MSNSports

And so today is likely going to be Gary Kubiak's final game as Broncos HC, league sources have told ESPN.

And here it goes: With his family concerned about his health, Gary Kubiak likely is stepping down as Broncos' HC, league sources tell ESPN.

The "complex migraine" was likely another Transient Ischemic Attack, which is certainly concerning to have two strokes so close together according to Doc.

Best of health to Gary, hopefully the reduced stress is the answer.

Comment

BREAKING: Gary Kubiak will likely retire following Broncos season finale

MileHighSports
            According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Sunday’s Denver Broncos finale with the Oakland Raiders will likely be Gary Kubiak‘s last game as head coach. After just two years in Denver and one Super Bowl ring, Kubiak will step down because of health reasons, league sources told Schefter and ESPN.

Kubiak suffered a second major health scare this season when he left Sports Authority Field at Mile High in an ambulance following Denver’s Week 5 loss to the Falcons. Kubiak was soon after diagnosed with a “complex migraine” condition that caused him to miss the Week 6 game in San Diego. Kubiak had previously suffered a health scare in 2013 when coaching the Texans. The head coach suffered a a “transient ischemic attack” (often described as a mini-stroke) at halftime of a game.

Kubiak led the Denver Broncos franchise to its third Super Bowl title, coaching Denver to a 12-4 record and a No. 1 seed in the 2015 regular season before winning Super Bowl 50. The 2016 Broncos will miss the playoffs, having been eliminated on Christmas night with a loss to the Chiefs that dropped their record to 8-7 with one game remaining.

Kubiak, 55, played nine years for the Denver Broncos (1983-91) as an eighth-round draft pick. He coached two years at his alma mater, Texas A&M, and one year in San Francisco before joining the Broncos again in 1995 as an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Kubiak helped guide all three of Denver’s Super Bowl victories, as offensive coordinator in 1997, ’98 and as head coach in 2015.

The Houston, Texas native won 61 games as a head coach for the Texans and 20 more in Denver. He’ll have a chance to add another win in what will be his final game on Jan. 1, 2017, when Denver hosts longtime rival Oakland.

Comment

Those around Colts owner Jim Irsay say he has been “very unhappy” with team’s performance for weeks now; coaches there fear change coming.
              Interesting, Pagano being floated as Broncos candidate. Kyle Shanihan, too.

Comment

Despite lingering concerns about his health, Cardinals' HC Bruce Arians plans to return for 2017 season, per sources.

Comment

NFL on ESPN @ESPNNFL
                  Despite GM Tom Telesco recommending to owners they retain Mike McCoy, San Diego is preparing to make a coaching change. (via @AdamSchefter)

Comment

Jay Glazer @JayGlazer
                    Gary Kubiak just told his team he's retiring saying it's not about him it's about the team

Comment

Adam Caplan @caplannfl
                      #Chargers announced: Dismissed head Mike McCoy.
                      49ers officially have informed Chip Kelly he no longer is their coach, per source.
                      Adam Caplan @caplannfl
                      49ers Fire General Manager Trent Baalke

Chargers, Broncos, Bills, Jaguars, Rams, 49ers coaching vacancies.
                      Last edited by H2O4me; 01-02-2017, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo
                        Redskins OC Sean McVay will interview with the Rams this week, source says.
                        Tentative plan is for Patriots OC Josh McDaniels to do his interviews with the Rams, Niners and Jags during the bye weekend.
                        Albert Breer @AlbertBreer
                        The 49ers have requested to interview highly regarded Chiefs director of player personnel Chris Ballard, per source.
                        Adam Schefter just said the 49ers owe $69 million to Chip Kelly, the previous head coaches and assistant coaches.

Rams have requested permission to interview Washington OC Sean McVay, per source.

Rams are requesting permission today to interview Jaguars' interim HC Doug Marrone for their HC job, per source.

Comment

STATEMENT FROM GARY KUBIAK

“As I told our team last night, this is an extremely difficult decision to step down as head coach. I love to work and I love football, but ultimately the demands of the job are no longer a good fit for me.

“I gave everything I had to this team the last two seasons, but this year, in particular, has been tough on me. As hard as it is to leave this position, I know that it’s the best thing for myself, my family and the Denver Broncos.

“I’ve been blessed to spend more than two decades with the Broncos working for Mr. Bowlen and a great organization from top to bottom. I’m forever grateful to this team, in particular John Elway and Joe Ellis, for giving me the opportunity to serve as its head coach. There are countless others to thank, including players, coaches, personnel staff, trainers, support staff and fans.

“Although we fell short of our goals this year, I’m proud of our teams these past two seasons. Helping to bring Mr. Bowlen, his family and this organization its third Super Bowl is something that will always be very special to me.

“I’m not sure what my future holds, but I know that I’ll always consider myself a Bronco. This team is in good hands with a lot of outstanding people, and I expect great things ahead for the Denver Broncos.”
                          Doesn't really rule out coaching, again, just maybe not a head coach...?

Comment

The General Manager Short List for 2017

MMQB
                            In searches for general managers and coaches, every team looking to fill a corner office in January will publicly talk about casting a wide net and keeping an open mind. Whether they really mean that is a matter of opinion.

And while there are often coaching searches that quickly focus on one candidate, and become more pursuit than process, the problem has proven worse on the personnel side. As some evaluators explain it to me, the influx of search firms and veteran consultants has spawned a network connecting candidates to advocates and narrowing the process—making it easier for teams, and hard for everyone else.

“There’s an absolute conflict of interest with those people,” said one veteran executive. “One-hundred percent. If you’re in with those people, forget about it.”

Another exec explained it like this: “If you spoke to most people, the consensus is there are front-runners in every one of those situations, depending on who’s running the search. You can just connect the dots. … What you hope for is the opportunity to go in front of people with an open mind, and hopefully that opens a door.”

A third personnel man was more specific: “It’s all full of nepotism. It’s a joke. And it starts with Charley Casserly.” So I called Casserly, the former Redskins and Texans GM, to try to figure where the flaws are in a process that’s turned off a lot of people lately, and one that’ll get going in earnest again here in just three weeks’ time.

Elsewhere in this week’s notes, we’ll look at the Rams’ situation post-Jeff Fisher, the future of Jim Harbaugh, the present of Sam Bradford, the Bucs’ rebirth, a couple lesser-know college quarterbacks to watch, and 2017’s franchise-tag figures.

But we start with my eighth annual future general managers list. It was born at the Boston Globe, went with me to NFL Media, and now I’m bringing it here to The MMQB for the first time. The idea was presented to me in 2009 by a young GM who wanted young guys on the personnel side (who were far less visible to owners than young coaches) to get recognition for their work and potential.

And when I started hearing the complaints the past few weeks about searches being rigged for certain candidates, it got me thinking back to the original idea for this. It was not only to help scouts, but also to give the public and even teams an idea of who was well-regarded in the talent-acquisition community. So all of this brought me to my former NFL Network colleague Casserly on Tuesday night.

Casserly, Ron Wolf, Bill Polian, Ernie Accorsi, John Madden, Tony Dungy and Carl Peterson make up the NFL’s career development advisory panel, and the first five have figured prominently in consulting roles during GM searches over the past two or three years. Those guys compile candidate lists and handle invites for the symposium they hold in June.

Without question, they have sway. And as I detailed, in many corners, the belief is that an old boys’ network has been formed. But Casserly, who led the Jets’ 2015 search—which ended with his former co-workers Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles as GM and coach—takes exceptions to the idea that the process is cooked.

He said the search he ran in New York was open, and points out that the team gave Jon Robinson (whom he didn’t know) and Chris Grier (whom he says he only knew through Chris’s father, Bobby) their first GM interviews, and that he left the room for Maccagnan’s interview. That said, Casserly acknowledged that connections help.

“It’s so different than it is with coaches,” Casserly said. “Coaches are so clearly defined. You know who calls the plays, you see them on TV, coordinators have press conferences. It’s just not like that in scouting. Are they pro? College? None of them are making big decisions. What you need is networking. It’s not politicking.”

He continued with some advice: “Every time you’re at workout, do your job, because people are watching. You need to show everyone you’re a hard worker. But meet people, too. Ask a GM questions. Be the guy with the clicker. By doing that, you connect with people. That’s how you market yourself. You need advocates. Someone needs to pick up the phone for you. If they aren’t doing that, you’re in a tough spot.”

That won’t quell the frustrations of candidates who believe that Polian delivered his protégés to San Diego and Jacksonville, or that Casserly made sure Maccagnan was front and center for the Jets, or that Wolf got Reggie McKenzie to Oakland. All this is, of course, complex, and these are big decisions that, in many cases, owners would rather have someone else make for them, which fuels the suspicion.

The truth? Every situation is different. And my belief is that this list, as I present it in two parts, does a little to open the minds of people who may think they already know who they want. So here’s this year’s group …

READY TO ROLL

Chiefs VP of player personnel Chris Ballard: Kansas City’s continued success only enhanced the candidacy of an exec who’s been on the cusp for some time. Bonus to hiring him: Widely held belief he’d swiftly assemble a robust scouting staff.

Patriots VP of player personnel Nick Caserio: He interviewed in Miami a few years back, and there was a feeling then that he was ready to take his shot. He hasn’t interviewed elsewhere since, leading to a growing sense that it’d be tough to pry him away.

Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta: Good luck pursuing him. He’s almost certainly going nowhere. If anything were to lure him, my sense is it would have to be full control and either a major market or an historic franchise.

Seahawks co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer: The former college director was promoted last year. And while he’s still on the road plenty, the change has given him experience in pro scouting and an office setting. His résumé = Seattle’s roster.

Texans director of player personnel Brian Gaine: In many ways, Gaine has been the bridge between scouting and coaching, with his background speaking Bill O’Brien’s language. And the Texans’ resiliency this year speaks to the depth he’s helped build.

Packers director of player personnel Brian Gutekunst: As the team’s former college director, he’s vital in how Ted Thompson builds the roster. And while Eliot Wolf is a bigger name, I’ve heard too many good things about Gutekunst to leave him off.

Seahawks co-director of player personnel Trent Kirchner: He was promoted from pro director when Fitterer was, and has since gotten more experience on the college side. He’s interviewed with the Jets and Lions the last two years.

Cowboys assistant director of player personnel Will McClay: The Cowboys’ offensive talent speaks for itself, but Dallas has been equally resourceful in stocking the defense. And in that regard, the team’s top scout has been a difference-maker.

Cardinals VP of player personnel Terry McDonough: Part of the Ozzie Newsome tree, McDonough helped Steve Keim pull off a difficult rebuild-on-the-fly the past four years. The success of Tampa’s Jason Licht coming from Arizona won’t hurt either.

Vikings assistant GM George Paton: Like Ballard, he’s been in the mix for a number of jobs—he was one of two finalists for the Rams post in 2012—and has helped build a proven winner. Minnesota’s rash of injuries has only highlighted that.

Falcons assistant GM Scott Pioli: By all accounts, he’s learned from his experience in Kansas City, and he left the cupboard far from bare. His impact in Atlanta can be seen in the recent influx of talent on defense and along the offensive line.

Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin: Most road scouts have an enormous amount of respect for the stoic Tobin, who has strong football roots, plus a deep, sturdy roster to show for his nearly two decades in Cincinnati.

Packers director of football operations Eliot Wolf: Once Seattle’s John Schneider signed his extension, the assumption became that Wolf would succeed Thompson in Green Bay, maybe very soon. The rumor mill has also tied him to the Niners.

ON DECK

Brandon Beane, Carolina; Joey Clinkscales, Oakland; Joe Douglas, Philadelphia; Brian Heimerdinger, NY Jets; Chris Grier, Miami; Alonzo Highsmith, Green Bay; Brandon Hunt, Pittsburgh; Joe Hortiz, Baltimore; Jeff Ireland, New Orleans; Dan Morgan, Seattle; Kyle O’Brien, Detroit; Monti Ossenfort, New England; Chris Polian, Jacksonville; Jimmy Raye, Indianapolis; Matt Russell, Denver; John Spytek, Tampa Bay; Jamaal Stephenson, Minnesota.

Nick Caserio to Texans... now!

Comment

Matt Maiocco @MaioccoCSN
                              Sources: #49ers begin coaching search with Josh McDaniels, Tom Cable, Anthony Lynn, Doug Marrone and Vance Joseph.

Vance Joseph needs to get a ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X