No announcement yet.

Patriots' Aaron Hernandez questioned by police in homicide probe

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by bayoudreamn View Post
    I think that by looking at how swiftly New England and other franchises have acted to cut problematic players since this occurred, you'll see that the NFL does not want this to be repeated. It's bad for business the first time, if it happens more than once it's disastrous. The culture will change and it'll change now. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business......this level of business can't allow will kill the brand.
    Tough one. Up to this point in NFL history, pro sports has put up w/ pretty much anything in exchange for talent. Will the current admin have the nerve to change it? So far, they have made major strides.

    However, I don't buy into fans not showing up because of character. See Michael Vick. They are still letting thugs in, and that most likely will never change. Maybe they'll make a few courtesy suspensions, but in the end, they'll be let back in, just as Vick was. Vick did not kill the brand, other thugs won't kill the brand. People are going to keep showing up in droves and buying stuff in mountains, even if a few thugs are allowed to remain in the league. Make a few token moves to keep the natives happy, sure, but nothing will change. Just wait until the next megastar gets in trouble, and see what happens. Gonna be interesting.
    Why do people point toward their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point toward their hooha when asking where the bathroom is?


    • Aaron Hernandez pal pleads guilty to accessory in murder
      FALL RIVER, Mass. (AP) — A friend of former New England Patriots star tight end Aaron Hernandez pleaded guilty on Monday to accessory after the fact for helping the NFL player after he shot a man to death in 2013.

      Hernandez was convicted in Massachusetts last year for the June 17, 2013, killing of Odin Lloyd, who was dating his fiancé's sister. He is serving life without the possibility of parole, although has said he intends to appeal.

      The reason for the killing remains unclear. At the time, Hernandez had a $40 million contract with the Patriots.

      Carlos Ortiz, 30, of Bristol, Connecticut, changed his plea to guilty on Monday in Bristol County Superior Court in Massachusetts as part of a deal with prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against him. He was sentenced to 4 1/2 to 7 years in prison.

      Ortiz and Ernest Wallace were with Hernandez the night of Lloyd's death. Prosecutors used surveillance video and other evidence to show that the three men traveled to Boston together, picked up Lloyd, and then brought him to a deserted industrial park near Hernandez's home. He was found shot to death at the park hours later.

      Both Ortiz and Wallace were initially charged with accessory after the fact and later charged with murder. Wallace was tried earlier this year and convicted of the accessory charge, but found not guilty of murder. He also was sentenced to 4 ½ to 7 years in prison.

      During Monday's hearing, Superior Court Judge Susan Garsh led Ortiz through a series of questions asking whether he understood the changes and understood the consequences of a guilty plea.

      She explained that prosecutors would have had to prove that Ortiz knew Hernandez killed Lloyd, and she asked him how he knew that.

      "When we got to the spot, the only two people that got out of the car was Aaron Hernandez and Odin Lloyd," Ortiz told her. He said when he heard the gunshot, he turned around to look.

      "The only one person that came in was Aaron Hernandez," he said.

      Later, Ortiz began to cry as he listened to Lloyd's mother speak about how much she missed her son.

      "My heart aches, for three years of not hearing my son's voice, not seeing his smiling face," Ursula Ward said.

      The plea brings an end to the criminal case in Lloyd's killing, but Hernandez's legal woes are not over. He has pleaded not guilty to a 2012 double murder in Boston, and is also facing multiple civil lawsuits.


      • Aaron Hernandez appears during a hearing at Suffolk Superior Court. (Angela Rowlings/The Boston Herald via AP)

        Aaron Hernandez identified in court as shooter in 2012 double murder

        A Boston man pointed out Aaron Hernandez in court Tuesday as the shooter in a 2012 double murder for which the former New England Patriot is on trial. Hernandez is already serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole for a 2013 murder.

        Raychides Sanches told prosecutors that he was a passenger in a car that had stopped at a Boston intersection when an SUV pulled up next to it. Someone in that vehicle said, “What’s up, negroes?” before gunfire sprayed Sanches’s car, killing two friends of his and wounding another.

        “We were in panic. Screaming, crying, crazy,” Sanches told the courtroom (via the Boston Globe). When asked to identify the shooter, Sanches nodded in the direction of Hernandez.

        “Looked like him,” he said (via the Associated Press). “Hernandez.”

        The passenger who was wounded in the incident, Aquilino Freire, told the court that he could not provide as many details as Sanches did, but he described the shooter as being light-skinned and having tattoos with no beard.

        Their statements came during a pretrial hearing to address several aspects of the case, including whether the testimony of Sanches and Freire will be allowed in the trial. Suffolk County (Mass.) Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Locke will decide later on that issue, but he denied a defense motion Tuesday to delay the trial; jury selection is set to begin in February.

        Hernandez is accused of gunning down 29-year-old Daniel de Abreu and 28-year-old Safiro Furtado following an incident at a nightclub in which the then-Patriots tight end got angry at being jostled. Authorities allege that he got into the SUV with a former friend, Alexander Bradley, then followed the offending group’s car.

        Prosecutors expect Bradley to provide the crucial identification of Hernandez as the shooter, with supporting testimony from Sanches and Freire. Hernandez has also been charged with witness intimidation for allegedly shooting Bradley in the face and leaving him to die in a Florida industrial park in 2013.

        Hernandez has pleaded not guilty in both the double-murder and Bradley cases.

        Aaron Hernandez's Gun Tats Can Be Used Against Him ... Judge Rules
        Aaron Hernandez's gun tattoos -- which he allegedly got to commemorate 2 violent crimes -- can be used against him in his double murder case ... a judge has ruled.

        Prosecutors believe the ex-NFL star memorialized two violent incidents, including the 2012 double murder, by getting the weapons he used tatted on his body.

        In the murder case, prosecutors believe the killer fired 5 shots from a revolver ... and believe it's no coincidence that Aaron went out and got a tat of a revolver with 5 bullets along with the words, "God Forgives."

        Prosecutors also believe another tattoo of a semi-automatic pistol with a single spent shell casing commemorates the time he shot a guy in the face in 2013 with a semi-automatic pistol.

        Aaron's lawyers argued that the tats should NOT be admissible -- claiming it was "rank speculation."

        But the judge ruled there's too much of a connection to ignore -- and will allow prosecutors to present them as evidence in court.

        Hernandez is accused of killing two people in a drive-by shooting after they accidentally bumped into him inside a Boston nightclub. He's already serving a life sentence for killing another man in 2013.

        The double murder trial begins on Feb. 13th.

        Aaron Hernandez Associate Gets 5 Years For Hartford Bar Shooting

        Alexander Bradley, the East Hartford man who says his eye was shot out by former New England Patriots star and convicted murderer Aaron Hernandez, was sentenced Monday to five years in prison for shooting up a Hartford bar.

        Bradley has been in prison since his arrest in the case three years ago. He was also sentenced to five years special parole.

        "I'm not the same person I was three years ago," Bradley told Superior Court Judge Julia D. Dewey. "It was a tumultuous time in my life. I was going through some traumatic events."

        Bradley, 34, already had been shot three times on Feb. 3, 2014, when he opened fire on the front of the Vevo Lounge on Meadow Street. He'd been shot moments earlier by Leslie Randolph after the two had a disagreement over money that spilled outside the club, court records show. Randolph was captured on surveillance video firing at Bradley.

        Bradley, whose wounds included a gunshot wound to the "crotch area," retrieved a handgun from his car and tried to get into back the club. Bouncers saw him coming and locked the doors, prosecutor Vicki Melchiorre told Judge Julia D. Dewey. So Bradley opened fire on the club.

        People inside dove for cover as Bradley fired about 11 rounds. No one was hit. Bradley then returned to his car, tossed the gun to his cousin and the pair drove off. They were stopped a moment later by Hartford police and Bradley was taken into custody.

        Bradley was a witness in Hernandez's first murder trial for the killing of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd in 2013. The trial ended with Hernandez's conviction and a sentence of life with prison without the possibility of parole.

        Bradley is also scheduled to be a witness in Hernandez's current trial on charges he shot and killed two men in Boston in 2012.

        As a condition of his parole, Bradley must appear at the Hernandez trial if he is subpoenaed.

        Bradley opted for a plea agreement rather than a trial in his shooting case. He pleaded no contest to criminal possession of a firearm, first-degree reckless endangerment and third-degree criminal mischief. If he took his case to trial, he faced a longer sentence if convicted.

        The terms of the plea agreement were negotiated by Melchiorre and defense attorney Robert Pickering of Hartford.


        • Fractured friendship of Aaron Hernandez and a gangster played out in bone-chilling court scene

          BOSTON – They were once best friends, confidants and keepers of the most wicked of secrets.

          “Inseparable,” Aaron Hernandez once described his relationship with Alexander Bradley.

          They were very much separated, however, Monday on the ninth floor of Suffolk Superior Court during Hernandez’s double murder trial.

          Separated by six court officers, either directly between them or ready to restrain. Separated by the distance between the witness stand (Bradley) and the defense table (Hernandez), although under different circumstances those positions could have been reversed. Separated because their relationship is as complex as it is combustible, most apparent perhaps when Bradley explained to the jury why he didn’t go to the police even after Hernandez allegedly pointed a gun between his eyebrows, fired and left him to die in an alley of an industrial area of South Florida.

          Bradley survived with one eye but all his vengeance. Talking to the cops didn’t just violate his no-snitching street ethos, it violated any sense of fairness.

          “I didn’t want to talk to the police,” Bradley said. “I wanted Mr. Hernandez. I wanted his life.”

          The tone chilled an already tense courtroom as Bradley stared his left eye, the one that still worked, directly at Hernandez. He tilted his head to the right and shook it in fury at his old friend. These were no empty words, no posing. Given the chance, Bradley would almost certainly kill Hernandez. And vice versa, at least if Hernandez learned that when it comes to Alexander Bradley, it takes more than one close-range shot to the skull to finish him.

          Judge Jeffrey Locke broke for lunch right then, leaving Bradley’s words and stare to hang over a jury stuck contemplating the levels of personal betrayal overwhelming this case. As court officers ushered Bradley out, he walked past Hernandez, the two of them locked in a shared look of pure menace.


          Hernandez is charged with killing Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado in a 2012 drive-by shooting after a brief encounter earlier at a Boston nightclub. Bradley is the state’s star witness, the driver of the vehicle Hernandez was in that night and the lone eyewitness capable of putting the gun in the former New England Patriot’s hand.

          Across a lengthy day of direct examination (the defense’s ferocious cross of Bradley is expected to begin Tuesday) the trial focused on the chaotic friendship of Bradley and Hernandez – the former a Connecticut drug trafficker, the latter an NFL star, each who share a propensity for rage and unnecessary violence that have dominated and doomed their lives thus far.

          Hernandez, 27, is serving a life sentence for the 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd in North Attleboro, Mass. Bradley, 34, is currently doing a five-year stint in Connecticut for indiscriminately shooting up a Hartford nightclub in 2013 after someone there shot him three times in the leg over a dispute about money.

          Together they make a pathetic pairing. Penned up and battle-scarred, each trying to save whatever is left of themselves by accusing the other of actually killing de Abreu and Furtado.

          Their relationship had begun through commerce, a buyer and a seller, Bradley often supplying marijuana on a payment plan because Hernandez was still just a college football player then, a Florida Gator, and money was tight. It wouldn’t be for long, though, not with the NFL beckoning.

          They became friends. They smoked a lot. They played video games a lot. They partied a lot together. They also provided something for the other. Hernandez allowed Bradley into his orbit of superstardom. Bradley gave Hernandez undeniable street toughness that he always coveted. Bradley was true gangster. He was also the rare peer who didn’t need his money.

          They also shared an unexpected level of depth. Hernandez, for all his tough-guy posturing, grew up in a two-parent, middle-class home, and had the gift of a chameleon. He went to college for three years. He could act like a thug, but he was smart and well spoken. So, too, was Bradley, who from the witness stand offered a large vocabulary. In his testimony, a car was a “vehicle,” a house was a “residence” and a gun was a “firearm.” Aaron Hernandez was “Mr. Hernandez.” He used legal jargon. Notes of his entered into evidence displayed admirable penmanship.

          At one point he described issuing Hernandez a death threat this way: “I expressed my feeling to him about how I wanted to handle the situation,” Bradley said.

          That’s one way to put it.


          Bonded by evenings of blunts and bottles, it was a rare day they didn’t at least check in by phone, and a rare week they weren’t hanging out two or three times, often in Boston nightclubs.

          The most fateful came in July 2012, when Bradley testified that Hernandez, angry that de Abreu didn’t pay him enough respect earlier in the night when he bumped into the Patriot and caused a drink to splash. Hernandez spotted de Abreu’s party driving away at closing time and ordered Bradley to follow in pursuit.

          Bradley did just that, running a red light to pull up alongside the Cape Verdean immigrant’s car. That’s when Bradley said Hernandez, wearing rosary beads as a necklace, fired five shots. He would have done more, but he was out of ammo.

          The two fled and headed back to Connecticut, each of them, according to Bradley, shocked at what had occurred.

          “He was kind of panicked,” Bradley said. “He said, ‘I hit one in the head and one in the chest.’

          “It wasn’t a bragging tone.”

          A plan was quickly enacted – stash the car and shut the hell up.

          Hernandez spent time combing through news reports. Bradley returned to dealing marijuana, up to 30 pounds a week. Soon Patriots camp beckoned, Hernandez signed a $40 million contract and played an entire season for the Pats, even as, according to Bradley, he became convinced he was being followed by detectives. Hernandez also reveled in his crime, though, according to Bradley, bestowing upon himself a new nickname: “Double A.”

          “It was a direct correlation to the double homicide,” Bradley said.

          Back in Boston, baffled detectives had no leads and no reason to suspect a New England Patriot in the crime. These two had seemingly got away with it. They grew even closer.


          Then came a trip to Florida in February 2013, a haphazardly planned vacation that spoke to their general dysfunction. They went to the airport but arrived so late they left their luggage in the car and traveled with just what they were wearing despite a plan to stay nearly a week before heading to Arizona. They tried to save money by staying at the West Palm Beach La Quinta Inn (“near the Hooters,” Bradley said), yet blew $10,000 one night at Tootsie’s Cabaret.

          They were stoned most of the time and drunk seemingly the rest. On one of their visits to Tootsie’s, which bills itself as “the Largest and Best Strip Club in America,” Hernandez became convinced that two fellow patrons were actually undercover cops following him.

          “I said, ‘If they are, it’s because of the stupid [expletive] you did in Boston,’ ” Bradley testified. “He became standoffish. He became upset.”

          The next night and another trip to Tootsie’s. By 5 in the morning, there was an argument over how to split up the sizeable bill from a private room. Then on the ride home, Bradley realized he’d forgotten his cell phone at the club, but Hernandez wouldn’t allow the car to be turned around (there were two other friends with them).

          They argued, then Bradley said he fell asleep, only to awaken when the car stopped down an alley near a John Deere dealership.

          “I woke up with Mr. Hernandez pointing a gun at my face,” Bradley said. “… Right between my eyebrows.”

          Hernandez fired. Bradley said his ears were ringing, blood was flowing everywhere and his right eye was finished, yet he somehow maintained consciousness. He said Hernandez and another guy pushed/pulled him out of the car and left him to die. He pulled himself up on a nearby fence, started walking and then was discovered by some workers from John Deere. They called an ambulance.

          At that moment Bradley had two goals.

          Live. Kill Hernandez.


          A homicide detective from the Palm Beach County Sherriff’s Department showed up at the St. Mary’s Medical Center intensive care unit because Alexander Bradley was not expected to survive and, in a twist, maybe a homicide victim could grant an interview before he became a homicide victim. Only it was immediately clear that Bradley was going to survive and he wasn’t going to tell the cops anything.

          “I have no information for you sir, with all due respect,” Bradley is heard saying during the taped interview.

          Who shot you, the detective asked.

          “He’s a [expletive] [expletive] who did it,” Bradley said without naming a name.

          “Well, obviously, you have a big-*** hole in your head,” the detective said.

          After the cop left, Bradley borrowed a phone and called Hernandez, who answered and, according to Bradley, was stunned to hear the voice of a presumed dead man.

          “He said, ‘Who’s this?’ ” Bradley testified. “I said, ‘You know who this is.’ He was shocked. He definitely didn’t think I would survive.”

          Hernandez proceeded to hang up. Future phone calls didn’t go much better. In text messages, Hernandez denied knowing anything about anything. Three surgeries and one prosthetic eye later, Bradley recovered and returned to Connecticut, where he began trying to lure Hernandez into a meeting so he could murder him.

          “To make it even,” Bradley said.

          By late March he was also trying to wring money out of Hernandez, to compensate for the pain and suffering. Maybe that would have sufficed. Maybe Bradley would have killed him anyway, just with a lot of cash to boot. Bradley kept boasting in text messages about his gun arsenal and crew of six who would ride with him and all sorts of other potential mayhem he could unleash.

          Hernandez kept avoiding Bradley and ignoring most of the texts but it was clear the pressure was everywhere as spring turned to summer.

          Hernandez would have continued reason to fear the police busting him for whatever involvement he had in the de Abreu and Furtado murders – Hernandez’s defense claims that Bradley was the actual triggerman. Even if that was true, Hernandez’s mere presence at, and failure to report, a double homicide would lead to criminal charges and an end to his NFL career. He would also worry that Bradley could file a civil suit, which would likewise cause massive professional harm. Or Bradley could just hunt him down.

          By the start of Patriots training camp in late July, his daily whereabouts would be obvious and would make him an easy target.

          Then Hernandez killed Odin Lloyd on June 13, 2013, and was arrested a little over a week later. He hasn’t had a breath of free air since. The murder of Lloyd possibly spared Hernandez’s own murder, saving his life, even if that life is one of incarceration without the possibility of parole.

          Soon Boston police were piecing together the cold case of the 2012 double homicide. Hernandez’s presence at the Cure nightclub was no longer a curiosity but a lead. When the SUV they had been searching for was discovered in a Bristol, Conn., home connected with Hernandez, charges were filed.

          They sought Bradley and arrested him on a restraining order violation. With no other way to enact revenge on his old pal, he broke his code and ratted to the cops, delivering a lengthy statement about what happened that night in the South End. At the time, he hadn’t been granted immunity – although that would come soon. He’ll face no charges in this case.

          By the winter, though, he was locked up himself, for shooting up a bar in Hartford. It followed a 2006 conviction on dealing drugs and an unresolved arrest for assault with a firearm in Bridgeport, Conn. That is him. He’s no hero here. Had he turned Hernandez in after the double homicide, or his own shooting, he could have saved Lloyd’s life.

          Bradley has served over three years of his five-year sentence and claims he is now a different person, eager to get out and be a good father for his three children. Perhaps he means it. Hernandez will have no such chance at redemption, his daughter will grow up without him around.

          On Monday, though, Bradley looked no less angry, no less vengeful and no less capable of extreme violence. For all his poise and relative polish, it was too much to just sit and stare at Aaron Hernandez, the man, he said, blasted him in the face and tried to kill him, the man who doubted his loyalty. At times, Bradley grew so upset, the right side of his face twitched.

          From the stand, Bradley was trying to recount how he once wanted his old buddy dead. He sure looked like he still wished he could make it so.