Christian Hackenberg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Hackenberg

Time for a new thread since he's in the NFL now with the Jets.

Jets GM stakes his reputation to polarizing QB Christian Hackenberg
    The New York Jets' controversial decision to draft Christian Hackenberg really comes down to this: Do you trust Mike Maccagnan's eyes and instincts?

Every analyst in the football industry, from Jon Gruden to Johnny Blogger, has an opinion about Hackenberg, the polarizing Penn State quarterback. None of them matter; it's all white noise. Only one viewpoint counts, and Maccagnan already has shared it with the world. He's a lifelong talent evaluator who has staked his reputation to Hackenberg. It's probably an overstatement to say it will define his tenure as general manager -- after all, it's only a second-round pick we're talking about -- but it's an investment that could elevate the Jets or set them back two or three years.

The analytic geeks say Hackenberg is a bum, that he had no business being drafted at all. According to Pro Football Focus, he completed only 35 percent of his passes when under duress and, my God, look at those hands -- only nine inches. How is he supposed to grip the ball in cold weather?

Maccagnan is getting paid a lot of money to look past the statistics and the metrics. His job is to study the player, to determine why and how, and to figure out if the kid has the stomach to thrive in the crucible of New York.

Hackenberg threw 1,235 passes at Penn State, and Maccagnan dissected every one of them -- the good, the bad and the ugly. The player's body of work wasn't impressive, certainly not worthy of the 51st selection, but good scouts take a deep dive.

"I think with a lot of players in general, you look at the parts and the pieces of the player," Maccagnan said.

He looked at Hackenberg's parts and pieces, determining there's enough good stuff to build a winning NFL quarterback. Of all the draft-eligible quarterbacks -- 15 were selected over three days -- Maccagnan opted to attend only one private workout.

It wasn't Jared Goff. It wasn't Carson Wentz. It was Hackenberg.

The Jets' top football man has been eyeing the Penn State passer for months, according to one scouting source. It probably goes back even further. Maccagnan and Hackenberg's first college coach, Bill O'Brien, overlapped for a year with the Houston Texans. You have to be naive to think that Hackenberg's name didn't come up in conversation around the water cooler. Hackenberg played his best ball for O'Brien, in 2013, so you have to assume he praised him in discussions with Maccagnan.

Maccagnan carried those thoughts to his job with the Jets, known for quarterback instability. With Geno Smith still unproven and entering the final year of his contract, with Bryce Petty still a project and with lean quarterback classes on the horizon, the GM decided to make his bold play in this draft.

"We feel we got a good player, and we're going to work with him to become a better player," said coach Todd Bowles, whose coaching future will be determined, in part, by the Hackenberg experiment.

Picking a quarterback in the second round wasn't a bad idea. After all, Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick (if he returns) probably will be gone next year, leaving what exactly? A second-round pick for a potential starter is sound risk management, but did they pick the right quarterback? It seems like a reach. Denver Broncos GM John Elway could've drafted Hackenberg at the bottom of the first round, but he preferred Paxton Lynch. Do the Jets know more about quarterbacks than Elway, who mastered the position as a player and has excelled as an executive?

Maybe. Maybe not.

If the Jets are smart, they'll be patient with Hackenberg and sit him for a year, allowing their resident quarterback whisperer -- Chan Gailey -- to rebuild the kid from the neck up. The knock on him in college was that he frustrated easily, lacked pocket presence and didn't feel the rush. Of course, getting sacked 103 times can do that to a quarterback. He never hit the 60-percent mark in a season, and that's troubling because the passing windows will only get tighter in the NFL. All but one starting quarterback reached the 60-percent plateau at least once in college; the lone exception is the Buffalo Bills' Tyrod Taylor, who got as high as 59.7

Clearly, Maccagnan isn't buying into the numbers. He's relying on his eyes and instincts. If he's right, it's genius. If he's wrong ... well, look what happened to his predecessors.

Joe Robbins/Getty Images

How the Jets Landed Christian Hackenberg
    The Penn State quarterback won over Todd Bowles & Co. during a secret workout in early April, but he still wasn’t a sure thing. At the last minute, New York thought it would lose its man to his old college coach
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — In late March, NFL agent Rich Rosa fielded a call from the Jets about setting up a workout with his client, Christian Hackenberg, the polarizing quarterback from Penn State. But the team had one non-negotiable condition: it would have to remain absolutely secret.

“The word that comes to mind is intensity, just the level of intensity that they wanted to make sure it was kept extremely quiet and that nobody knew it was going to happen,” says Noel LaMontagne, Rosa’s business partner at Compass Sports Advisors.

Mired in a contract stalemate with Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Jets’ front office didn’t want the New York media to anoint Hackenberg as the franchise’s lifeline. On April 10, two weeks after the initial call, general manager Mike Maccagnan, head coach Todd Bowles, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo, and two scouts drove to State College to conduct the workout at Penn State’s indoor football facility. The Jets delegation worked out the young quarterback for an hour, testing him on the aspects of the pro-style offense that weren’t a part of the Nittany Lions’ shotgun spread offense for the past two seasons.

One of the criticisms of Hackenberg is that he can’t make quick throws under pressure. So Jets coaches sped things up and put him through quick-release passing drills. They tested to see if he could throw off balance, watched his footwork closely, and put him in scenarios that they hadn’t seen on his game film. “It was about getting a really good feel for the way they are going to coach me going forward,” Hackenberg says.

After the workout, the group grabbed an early lunch at Happy Valley Brewery, a popular spot in State College. Rosa and LaMontagne had suggested the group stay at Penn State’s facility, where they could remain completely private, but the Jets risked the possibility of being seen with Hackenberg in public. “They said, ‘No, we want him in a natural setting. We want to see him in football, but we want to see him as a person, too,’ ” LaMontagne says. Hackenberg made easy conversation with Gailey about the Masters, which was playing out on the bar’s TVs. (Gailey is an avid golfer; Hackenberg is just picking up the game.) Because it was early for lunch on a Sunday, the Jets coaches went unnoticed at the restaurant.

The pressing need for this trip to Penn State was to spend quality time with Hackenberg, and to settle the controversy of his up-and-down college career. As a true freshman, Hackenberg mastered Bill O’Brien’s pro-style offense. But after O’Brien left to coach the Texans, Hackenberg struggled with accuracy in Franklin’s shotgun system, throwing more interceptions (15) than touchdowns (12) as a sophomore, and finishing with a 53.5% completion rate his junior year in 2015.

As part of the evaluation process, Bowles wanted to hear Hackenberg explain his challenges with the coaching change, in order put to rest any concerns about his coachability. “I definitely needed to hear from him and hear what his thought process was and how he went through changing cultures and different coordinators in a system,” Bowles says. “He was forthright with everything, he understood that he has things he needs to work on, he acknowledged the coaching changes and he tried to do well in both systems. He admitted that he had some bad games but he also had some very good games, so I was very impressed with the way he presented himself.”

O’Brien, who remains close with Hackenberg, says the Texans also gave his former charge a high draft grade. “Christian is big and strong and throws a good football,” O’Brien says. “He's shown the ability to overcome adversity. It's hard to evaluate his career. There was a coaching change, and he had to adapt. Now, I watched a lot of his film [from 2014 and 2015], and I saw some bad plays, like people talk about. But I saw a lot of good plays too. We had him evaluated as a really good quarterback prospect.”

Hackenberg also worked out for Philadelphia, Cleveland, Washington and Dallas. The Eagles were the only other team that kept it workout under wraps to the degree that New York did. “It was more than what you would normally experience from your average, everyday pre-draft workout,” LaMontagne says. “You can never read too much into that stuff, because there are always the smoke screens and the games that are being played for the right [draft] position, but sometimes things just feel a little bit different. And there were plenty of red flags, or green flags, depending on your perspective.”

According to Rosa, Hackenberg’s stock began to rise about two weeks before the draft. “The last couple of weeks he really gained momentum, because the more he got in front of teams, whether it be a private workout or a visit, they got to see how much he loves football and the passion he has for it,” he said. “He is a tough kid and he took a beating the last two years and it never fazed him.”

Three days after the workout at Penn State, Hackenberg visited the Jets facility in Florham Park, N.J. “I had a very productive conversation with Mike [Maccagnan] after his workout and they felt very strongly about him as a player and his development,” Rosa said. And Hackenberg himself thought the workout and visit went smoothly. “I had a really good vibe coming from the Jets,” he said.

When the Texans traded up two spots to jump ahead of the Jets to pick at No. 50, New York management held their breath. Was this an O’Brien play to rekindle the flame with his one-season-sensation? “The thought did cross our mind,” Maccagnan said Friday night after the second and third rounds wrapped up.

Meanwhile, at home in Palmyra, Virginia, Hackenberg thought it was Houston calling him at 8:45 p.m. Hackenberg was in his backyard playing a game of cornhole with his private quarterback coach Jordan Palmer (Carson Palmer’s younger brother) and LaMontagne, when his mom ran out the back door and whistled for her son to come inside and pick up his phone. “We walked up the steps of the deck behind him and we’re thinking that he is going to Houston,” LaMontagne says. “He is going to be a Texan, this is awesome, he’s back with Bill. And then Houston ends up picking a center and Jordan and I look at each other and simultaneously, we’re like what the f-- , what just happened? Are we witnessing a Mohamed Sanu moment here?”

Drafted by Cincinnati in the third round of the 2012 draft, current Falcons receiver Sanu was the target of a practical joke in the first round. As the Bengals were getting ready to make the 27th pick, Sanu received a phone call. It was a prank caller pretending to be Cincinnati personnel welcoming him to the team. Sanu, his family and his agents all fell for it. But Hackenberg wasn’t the butt of a joke; the Jets were on the line. Unsettled at quarterback, it wasn’t surprising that New York drafted their ninth quarterback in the past 11 years, a league-high and their fourth for a fourth straight year. But Maccagnan refused to acknowledge the obvious implications of the message sent by spending a valuable second-round pick on the most heavily scrutinized quarterback of this draft. “I wouldn’t classify him [as a starter or as a developmental quarterback],” he said. “Every player you take you would like to think they will be a starter. Even if you take a right guard in the second round, you still are going to have the same intention that you think he could be a starting-caliber player. I don’t think there is a standard that you have to fall into.”

AFC East rival Buffalo expressed as much interest in Hackenberg as the Jets did, Rosa said. Though the Bills didn’t work him out privately, they attended Penn State’s pro day and remained interested in Hackenberg throughout the process. Buffalo wanted to pick a quarterback, but weren’t willing to use a high pick on the position. The Bills ended up making their quarterback pick in the fourth round (Cardale Jones).

With the addition of Hackenberg, the Jets now have three backup quarterbacks, including Geno Smith and 2015 fourth-round selection Bryce Petty. But no starter. The team has drawn a line in the sand with Ryan Fitzpatrick’s contract, and although Maccagnan has insisted that drafting Hackenberg does not affect the team’s goal to resign Fitzpatrick, the underlying message is clear: Fitzpatrick is a bridge, and Hackenberg is waiting in the wings.

Since taking over before the 2015 season, Maccagnan has balanced his strategy between winning now and building for the future. Even though the Jets GM has made big free-agent signings (Darrelle Revis, Matt Forte), the Hackenberg pick proves this front office doesn’t view their current roster as an immediate Super Bowl contender. If they did, they wouldn’t have spent a second-round pick on a quarterback and they’d be willing to devote significant money to Fitzpatrick’s contract.

Maccagnan has a best-player-available draft philosophy, and at No. 51, Hackenberg was in the highest-rated group still on the Jets draft board—a prospect whom the decision-makers viewed, for all his flaws, as a solid kid with a high ceiling. The Jets weren’t locked in at the quarterback position with their second-round choice, but of those players rated highest, Hackenberg had the most potential.

“There is a learning curve,” Bowles said. “When we picked Leonard [Williams] last year, we had Mo [Wilkerson], Sheldon [Richardson] and Snacks [Harrison]. We knew he wasn’t going to come in and start right away. It’s no different this year. We picked the best player at the spot and it just happened to be a quarterback.”

Gailey will be charged with helping Hackenberg reach his “high ceiling’ and O’Brien thinks he’s in good hands to do that. “It's a great spot for him,” O’Brien says. “I coached for Gailey one year at Georgia Tech, and that's a perfect coach for him to learn from. Chan's a very patient guy. Good teacher.”

With the Hackenberg pick, the Jets’ quarterback situation is now even more unsettled. But one thing is certain: Of the four quarterbacks, only one has a guaranteed spot on the 2016 roster, and that’s Hackenberg.

Oh, man... I wondered if he'd think it was the Texans calling with the picks so close.

Comment

We all know what Hack had to deal with at Penn State. Bottom line, he won seven games, qualified for a bowl.

Might not have looked pretty... but the Ws are all that matter. Get him some good talent, there's no telling how good he can be.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

Joe Robbins/Getty Images

How the Jets Landed Christian Hackenberg
        The Penn State quarterback won over Todd Bowles & Co. during a secret workout in early April, but he still wasn’t a sure thing. At the last minute, New York thought it would lose its man to his old college coach

Oh, man... I wondered if he'd think it was the Texans calling with the picks so close.
        Let's be honest: I guarantee Christian and his family thought for sure that OB would pick him up and make him a Texan. They can try and pretend otherwise, and Hack can play dumb in the interviews, but behind closed doors and without a cameraman listening to everything we all know the guy wanted to be a Texan amd probably thought for sure it was a guarantee he would hear his name called by us in the first or second round.

And that's why, when we signed Brock, I'm willing to bet that Hack was devastated amd heartbroken for awhile. His family as well. You could just tell reading between the lines that he wanted to play for OB again, and that's why I'm like you: he probably got wide eyed when he got that phone call after we traded up, having hope that we were still going to draft him. Pretty sad when you think about it :/

Still, I think he's in the next best possible situation. It would have been cool if we could still draft him, but Gailey is good with quarterbacks and I think that Bowles could really surprise as a head coach soon enough. I think the Jets will be much better under Maccagnan's direction than they have been for years, and I look forward to seeing what they do now that they finally got a divorce from Rex Ryan.

I really wish Hackenberg the best of luck. I never felt the bad rap he was getting this past year was really fair and I still don't. Maybe he can still prove the naysayers wrong.
        sigpic

“Qui n’avance pas, recule”

Comment

5. Hack update: The media have watched only two of the first six practices, but I can share a couple of thoughts on Christian Hackenberg. Right now, he looks like a typical rookie. His passes are fluttering, his footwork is robotic and he tends to miss high when he misses a receiver. In last Wednesday's practice, he sailed two consecutive 15-yard passes over the head of a tight end -- against air. That's right, there was no defense. He had a couple of nice moments later in a two-minute drill, but it wasn't a great practice.

"Right now I expect him to look sloppy because he’s seeing a whole boat load of defenses that are coming at him daily, and there’s going to be a growth period," said Bowles, adding that he expects Hackenberg to be more comfortable in training camp.
          Rookie looks like a rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by bobizzle View Post
            Let's be honest: I guarantee Christian and his family thought for sure that OB would pick him up and make him a Texan. They can try and pretend otherwise, and Hack can play dumb in the interviews, but behind closed doors and without a cameraman listening to everything we all know the guy wanted to be a Texan amd probably thought for sure it was a guarantee he would hear his name called by us in the first or second round.

And that's why, when we signed Brock, I'm willing to bet that Hack was devastated amd heartbroken for awhile. His family as well. You could just tell reading between the lines that he wanted to play for OB again, and that's why I'm like you: he probably got wide eyed when he got that phone call after we traded up, having hope that we were still going to draft him. Pretty sad when you think about it :/

Still, I think he's in the next best possible situation. It would have been cool if we could still draft him, but Gailey is good with quarterbacks and I think that Bowles could really surprise as a head coach soon enough. I think the Jets will be much better under Maccagnan's direction than they have been for years, and I look forward to seeing what they do now that they finally got a divorce from Rex Ryan.

I really wish Hackenberg the best of luck. I never felt the bad rap he was getting this past year was really fair and I still don't. Maybe he can still prove the naysayers wrong.
            Good post!!!

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
              Rookie looks like a rookie.
              That sounds like Mallet and Hoyer last year.

Comment

I think hack needs Fitz to come back. He needs that veteran mentor to help him work out his bad habits and get him acclimated to the pro game
                sigpic

Comment

Chopping him up play-by-play in OTAs....
                  Observations from Christian Hackenberg's 1st day
                  Second-round pick Christian Hackenberg took the field with the entire Jets team for the first time at Wednesday's organized team activities. Click through for a quick review of how Hackenberg did.

Working on Field 2
                  Like last year, Jets head coach Todd Bowles used two field simultaneously for OTAs, so as to maximize reps for all players. Hackenberg worked on the second field, which included mostly rookies and younger players. The fact of the matter is, the Jets want to develop Hackenberg. "Every rookie quarterback would benefit from sitting and learning," said offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Some accuracy issues
                  Look, it's May, and he's been here for three weeks, so let's not expect Hackenberg to be Joe Namath just yet. But he did have some issues on Wednesday with overthrows, missed targets, and touch passes that would have been better served being zipped. This is going to be a process, but the Jets knew that already.

Two interceptions
                  Hackenberg was picked off twice, with linebacker Josh Martin getting one and cornerback Darryl Morris coming away with the other, albeit on a tipped ball.

Bowles not worried
                  Head coach Todd Bowles cut to the chase when it came to Hackenberg's performance, plus the play of quarterbacks Geno Smith and Bryce Petty: "They look good in shorts. They look good throwing on air. There’s not much to talk about for two days. They’re still getting acclimated to the system. Just going through the basic fundamental things. Getting a lot of the footwork down and getting their passes right. There’s not much to talk about there yet." So: Relax.

He has his talking points down
                  Hackenberg is happy to be here. He's staying positive. He's excited to work with Geno Smith and Bryce Petty. Eric Decker's and Brandon Marshall's absences didn't concern him because he knows he has to throw to whoever's out there. Etc. Give Hackenberg this much: His cliché game is on point. He's already everything the PR staff wants him to be.
                  7 Christian Hackenberg observations from Day 5 of Jets OTAs
                  The Jets on Wednesday held their fifth of 10 organized team activities practices, and the second that was open to reporters. Rookie quarterback Christian Hackenberg was back in action Wednesday in Florham Park. It was a mostly rocky day for him, which is not really all that surprising. Click through for seven observations about Hackenberg's performance on Day 5 of OTAs.

The numbers
                  For most of practice, they were grim. Hackenberg began team periods 3-of-10 passing, while playing on the far field with rookies and reserves. Then he went 2-of-2 in two brief team periods segments against the veterans on the near field. In his two-minute drill, Hackenberg misfired on his first two passes, so he was 5-of-14 at that point. But he completed his final four passes, to finish 9-of-18. Overall, not a good day, but an admirable finish, at least.

The near interceptions
                  Hackenberg didn't throw any picks Wednesday, but he almost threw four of them. Yes, four. The first three near picks came against the rookies and reserves, on that far field. Hackenberg's first pass of team periods was tipped at the line and nearly picked by linebacker Taiwan Jones. Then Hackenberg rolled right and threw on the run, and was nearly intercepted by linebacker Bruce Carter. Hackenberg also threw deep into coverage, and was almost picked off by safety Dion Bailey. In Hackenberg's two-minute drill against the veterans, he threw a pass late that went through the hands of cornerback Kevin Short. Yet another near pick.

The fumbled snaps
                  There were two of them. One came from under center, while Hackenberg was on the near field, against the veterans. Craig Watts, a roster-fringe guy, snapped the ball to Hackenberg on that play. And then, in his two-minute drill, Hackenberg dropped a shotgun snap. But Hackenberg recovered, picked up the ball, and completed a sideline pass to running back Romar Morris. Jets coach Todd Bowles later singled out this recovery from a dropped snap, for a completed pass, as a positive moment for Hackenberg from Wednesday's practice.

Getting heat from veterans
                  The Jets' media regulations prohibit us from reporting the complete details of what inside linebacker Erin Henderson and safety Rontez Miles were barking at Hackenberg before one snap during team periods. But Henderson, in particular, was really giving it to Hackenberg, trying to throw him off. A few seconds later, Hackenberg fumbled that snap exchange with Watts, and Henderson celebrated. This sort of stuff can only help a rookie quarterback. Hackenberg's veteran defensive teammates shouldn't take it easy on him, and he surely doesn't expect them to.

Still sailing passes
                  Based on what we've seen from Hackenberg so far this spring, it's clear that when he misses, he generally misses high. He has sailed a bunch of passes in the two OTA practices that reporters were allowed to observe. In team periods Wednesday, Hackenberg sailed a deep ball for Charone Peake. Six snaps later, he missed way high on a simple sideline screen pass. And when Hackenberg missed during individual drills, he typically missed high. It'll be an interesting challenge for the Jets to correct this issue. And it is clearly an issue. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey was able to witness it first-hand Wednesday, because he was on that far field observing Hackenberg during the early portion of team periods.

What he did well
                  It wasn't all bad for Hackenberg. He closed practice well, with those four straight completions in his two-minute drill. Those were his final four passes of practice. He nicely threaded a pass over the middle to Chandler Worthy. Hackenberg's next throw was another well-zipped pass, to the sideline for Jeremy Ross. Those were Hackenberg's two best passes of Wednesday's practice. He concluded practice by hitting Morris along the sideline, after dropping that shotgun snap. Good poise there from Hackenberg, on a tough day overall for him.

What Todd Bowles thought
                  Bowles is not fretting about Hackenberg's struggles in OTAs. For one, the Jets have no plans to start Hackenberg in 2016. They want to let him develop at a reasonable pace. Plus, a lot of rookies struggle in their first spring in the NFL. Hackenberg's sloppy play is not at all surprising, especially given that the Jets' defense is throwing a lot at Hackenberg (and the other quarterbacks) right now.

Here's Bowles: "Right now, I expect him to look sloppy, because he’s seeing a whole boat load of defenses coming at him daily, and there’s going to be a growth period. Everything that Hack is seeing this year he’s seeing for the first time. He’s in a progression stage right now. So to say that he’s going to be accurate every time, no. He’s been grasping the system pretty good. And the new things that are getting thrown at him, he learned from his mistakes. So he’s got time to grow there."
                  What we saw from Christian Hackenberg on Day 9
                  Rookie quarterback Christian Hackenberg has now been through nine of the Jets' 10 days of organized team activities. While Hackenberg has had his struggles, he was a bit better on Wednesday, the third day the media was permitted to watch in these last three weeks. Click through for a more detailed report on how Hackenberg did.

Some work with starters
                  Hackenberg got at least one full-team rep with Brandon Marshall, Kenbrell Thompkins, and Quincy Enunwa as his receivers. Most of his work continued to be with the backups, though.

Getting through his progressions
                  More than once, Hackenberg successfully stood in the pocket and scanned the field before ultimately checking down. If nothing else, he's showing some ability to go through his progressions, which is what he has to learn at this time of year.

The one deep ball
                  Hackenberg was mostly throwing underneath, which—again—may have been by design. On his one big shot downfield, he overthrew rookie wideout Charone Peake by just a few steps.

No two-minute drill
                  The Jets wrapped up practice with a two-minute drill, but Geno Smith and Bryce Petty took all the snaps and made all the throws. Hackenberg did not take part.

Todd Bowles' take
                  Here's how Bowles, the Jets' head coach, summed up what he's seen from Hackenberg during the first nine days of OTAs: "I think he’s getting a better grasp of the system. He’s still seeing defenses he hadn’t seen but he’s not panicking. He’s taking control when he’s in there. You like some of the things you see. He has a long way to go, but he’s making progress."

The self-evaluation
                  Said Hackenberg: "I knew things were going to be faster. I knew it was going to be an adjustment. You know what you have to do to get better, and you continue to work at that. I don't think you expect anything. You just go in there and do what you can 1,000 miles an hour, as hard as you can, and then live with the results and be able to correct them, and whether it's good or bad, learn from it."
                  And this...
                  Christian Hackenberg is not the future
                  Jet Press
                  The New York Jets hope quarterback Christian Hackenberg can one day be the future of their franchise. Unfortunately, he’s not going that route in his NFL career...
                  They'll have him delivering pizzas before too long.

Comment

Originally posted by bayoudreamn View Post
                    Good post!!!
                    Depending on Genos play during the regular season if its trending bad Hack will be thrown to the wolves . I think hes the Jets future sooner then later hes got the tools . Get him through camp see what hes doing by end of pre-season ??

Comment

An inside look at how Jets QB Christian Hackenberg reinvented himself
                      When Christian Hackenberg finished the 2015 season at Penn State, he turned pro as a junior, hired a personal coach and a fitness trainer and a nutritionist, and moved to Southern California in early January. For 2 1/2 months, he lived like an NFL quarterback, sans team practices and games.

He started at 5:30 a.m. with film study, followed by passing drills on the field, a workout in the gym, and an evening homework assignment from his coach, usually involving more film breakdown. He ate well, as prepared meals were delivered to his condo in Dana Point. When he ventured to the local Whole Foods, he was accompanied by his nutritionist, who explained the importance of smart shopping and eating.

There were no exams, no schoolwork and no distractions. It was 24/7 football, a 10-week boot camp that helped him prepare for the scouting combine, pre-draft workouts and, well, life. The quarterback life.

Hackenberg was born to play quarterback (more on that in a bit) and he played the position so well before his 19th birthday that he was given the can't-miss label. Then he did a lot of missing in his final two seasons at Penn State, interrupting his carefree ascent. In January, three months before the New York Jets drafted him in the second round, he required mental and physical first aid.

"I'd say he was a guy, in January, who had some wounds, some theoretical wounds he needed to tend to," said Jordan Palmer, the younger brother of Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer and a former NFL backup-turned-quarterback tutor.

And so began the healing of Christian Hackenberg. How it unfolds -- or how long it takes -- will be fascinating.

Desperate for a franchise quarterback, the Jets decided to bet on his upside, thinking he could be their starter as soon as 2017. Hackenberg didn't receive glowing reviews last week in his first pro minicamp, continuing a theme that started in Happy Valley: He struggled with his accuracy. But don't be alarmed; it's early in the process.

Coach Todd Bowles insisted it's not a concern, saying it was too early to make evaluations on a rookie quarterback. Wide receiver Brandon Marshall offered his take on Hackenberg, saying minicamp was "an opportunity for him to just get beat up, see a lot, lose a lot, because these moments are where you grow."

In January, Jordan Palmer detected a mechanical flaw in Hackenberg's delivery. The discovery happened in their first week together in SoCal, where they studied every pass in his college career -- all 1,235 of them. He misfired 44 percent of the time, including a maddening number of wide receiver screens. NFL assistants who studied his tape will tell you his footwork was sloppy, causing him to be off-target on even the shortest of throws. They suspect it was due to shoddy pass protection (103 sacks), the byproduct of a roster decimated by the post-Jerry Sandusky NCAA sanctions.

Hackenberg displayed a tendency to over-stride, preventing his back hip from firing, according to Palmer. As a result, the ball came out early, causing it to sail. Palmer believes he corrected the problem by emphasizing the triple-threat position. For a quarterback, it means setting up in a way that allows him to throw, run or slide in the pocket out of the same stance. It's the same body position, over and over and over, no exceptions.

"We repped it a million times," said Palmer, adding that Hackenberg has incorporated a warm-up for the triple-threat position into his pregame routine.

Palmer used the Coach's Eye app on his computer to help teach the finer points of the technique. He downloaded video of Hackenberg, made notations on the touch screen and recorded voice-overs, offering tips and criticisms. He emailed it to Hackenberg, who bought an HDMI cable for his laptop and reviewed everything from his rented condo.

"I gave him the diagnosis and provided the prescription," Palmer said.

It was part of Hackenberg's California experience, which differed from the typical pre-draft prep.

Instead of focusing entirely on the physical elements of the position, Palmer worked on Hackenberg's mind, simulating an NFL environment. For three weeks, he cast Hackenberg in the role of Carson Palmer, NFL quarterback.

As Palmer and the Cardinals prepared for their playoff game against the Green Bay Packers, so did Hackenberg, who watched a week of tape. On Monday, he studied the Packers' last five games. On Tuesday, he broke down their base pressures. On Wednesday, it was their sub-defenses. On Thursday, it was third down. On Friday, it was red zone. On Saturday, he talked with Palmer by phone to compare notes.

Hackenberg repeated the process for the Cardinals' second opponent, the Carolina Panthers. He didn't stop when Arizona's season stopped; he did a complete game prep for the Super Bowl, analyzing the Denver Broncos' defense.

"It's basically what I'm going to be doing this year, so I feel like it was really helpful from that standpoint," said Hackenberg, who wrapped up the 10-week program by breaking down every throw from Andrew Luck's terrific rookie season with the Indianapolis Colts in 2012.

This evaluation work took place in Dana Point, California, not far from Mission Viejo, where former Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez grew up. In fact, Hackenberg crossed paths with a couple of Sanchez acquaintances.

Hackenberg's personal trainer, whom he met with every day at noon, was Todd Norman, who trains Sanchez. Hackenberg's professional nutritionist was Cathy McKnight, the mother of former Jets draft pick Scotty McKnight, one of Sanchez's closest friends. Small world, huh? She prepared his menu and took him shopping, steering him away from junk food.

For 10 weeks, he ate like an NFL quarterback, studied like an NFL quarterback, and trained like an NFL quarterback.

"It was a lot of X's and O's, but it was also preparing you to take that next step, what's expected of you on and off the field, which was pretty cool," Hackenberg said. "It was a unique process. Jordan said he hadn't seen it done that way before."

After three years in the crucible of Penn State football, a stressful environment in which his every move was dissected, Hackenberg probably needed to escape for a couple of months to reboot. He absorbed a physical and mental beatdown in college, prompting some NFL evaluators to wonder whether he'd be able to recover enough to succeed at the next level. That he landed in New York, where mediocre quarterbacks get crushed by fans and media, probably didn't help. On the positive side, he won't be rushed into the lineup, softening the transition.

"It's the perfect spot," Jordan Palmer said. "He's good enough to lead a team and it won't be too big for him. The lights won't be too bright. He can learn from Ryan [Fitzpatrick, if he re-signs] and he won't be a miserable pain in the *** because he's not playing."

This will be different for Hackenberg, always the bus driver, never a passenger. He was one of the top recruits in the country and one of the stars at the prestigious Elite 11 passing academy. Surrounded by the nation's top high school quarterbacks, he was the alpha male, impressing with his cocksure demeanor.

"He didn't flinch," said Joey Roberts, the Elite 11 director of scouting. "His attitude was, 'I'm the biggest, baddest dude here and I’m gonna be that way.'"

Hackenberg grew up in the sport, which probably explains his confidence. His father, Erick, played quarterback at Virginia and Susquehanna University. His father, Barry Hackenberg, coached high school ball for 30 years in Pennsylvania. Christian Hackenberg's maternal grandfather, Richard Miller, was a captain and record-breaking receiver at Lehigh. Hackenberg also has an uncle who played at West Point.

So, really, Hackenberg's football education began Feb. 14, 1995, the day he was born. His earliest memories were formed when he was little, hanging around the locker room, working as the water boy, and getting to know the quarterbacks who played for his grandfather and father, who also got into coaching.

"It was easy for me to fall in love with it," he said.

Hackenberg was the football version of "The Natural," especially after a promising freshman year at Penn State. Bill O'Brien's pro-style offense and coaching acumen provided what Roberts called "a master's-level graduate course for an 18-year-old." Hackenberg was hyped as a potential top-10 pick, but his coach left for the Houston Texans, the talent eroded quickly under NCAA sanctions, and he never was a good fit in current coach James Franklin's spread offense.

By the time Hackenberg connected with Palmer in California, the once-baddest dude on the field needed a makeover.

"I helped him for two months, but that kid did everything on his own," Palmer said. "This kid fought his *** off in a tough situation. I think it made him a better player. Just wait."

Comment

Hack is gonna be a starter in the NFL ! I have not doubt about this . If I was the Jets by mid season if they aren't in it . I would play that kid get him some real reps . Be very good for his development going fwd

Comment

How can Jets' Chan Gailey evaluate Christian Hackenberg with limited reps?
                          FLORHAM PARK — Christian Hackenberg, the Jets' rookie second-round draft pick quarterback, has received minimal 11-on-11 team periods reps in this training camp. That's just the reality of having four quarterbacks, as the Jets do.

How, then, can Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey evaluate and develop Hackenberg, with such limited reps?

"It's not easy, but you have to go with every snap that he gets, every rep that he takes, not only in team situations, but in one-on-ones and everywhere," Gailey said after Tuesday's practice. "You try to evaluate every one of those."

Hackenberg got just four team periods reps in Tuesday's practice, the Jets' last full workout before Thursday night's preseason opener against the Jaguars. It is not clear how much Hackenberg will play Thursday, if at all. Jets coach Todd Bowles would not say Tuesday if all four of his quarterbacks will play Thursday.

In this camp, the Jets obviously need to get starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and backup Geno Smith ready for the season.

They also must evaluate No. 3 quarterback Bryce Petty, a second-year pro, and determine what they'll do with him — cut him altogether, cut him and try to stash him on their practice squad, or keep him on their 53-man active roster. The latter option would mean the Jets retaining four quarterbacks, which is uncommon.

All of that leaves very few team periods practice reps for Hackenberg.

"You have X number of reps in practice and in games," Gailey said of the challenges of having four quarterbacks in camp. "You're trying to get guys ready to play the season and evaluate other guys. It's very difficult. That's what we're trying to do at this time, and it's not easy."

Gailey has seen some progress from Hackenberg, though it is clearly way too soon to determine if Hackenberg can be the Jets' future starting quarterback.

"Yeah, he's grown," Gailey said. "It's hard to tell how much, because he's not getting the reps to really figure out how much. I'm sure he has grown. I think that's what he'd say, that he's learned a ton about the game.

"I think we all see his potential and what he can be. He's got all the tools. It's just a matter of him learning what needs to be done here, and then going out and doing it on a consistent basis. That's the key, is consistency in this league."

Hackenberg's biggest challenge entering the NFL was to improve his accuracy. At some point, that might mean overhauling his throwing mechanics and/or footwork. But Gailey doesn't want to do that right now. And why not?

"We suggest things here and there [with mechanics]," Gailey said. "But it's hard to change guys completely mechanically in a preseason situation like this. You let him do what got him here. And then you take a full offseason, if you think there needs to be some changes. And that's where you implement real changes.

"You might make suggestions here and there [right now]. If he wants to work on it a little bit, then you allow him to do that. But going out and trying to make some kind of wholesale change [right now], no, we wouldn't do that.

"I think that, in general, it takes thousands of reps to change a habit. So if you're going to change a habit, you need thousands of offseason reps. You don't need a few hundred throws a week. That's a big difference."
                          From the few reports I've read, Hack got 3, 4, and 3 reps total in three days practices. That's all plays, not just pass plays.

Comment

Rotoworld Football @Rotoworld_FB
                            ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini believes second-round QB Christian Hackenberg might not play until the preseason finale?

Cimini reports Hackenberg is getting "very few practice reps" and looks like he is headed for a "redshirt year." The Jets understandably want to see if sophomore Bryce Petty can earn a roster spot or, better yet, the No. 2 job, but they also need to see what they have in Hackenberg before he inevitably sits out the entire season, especially considering Ryan Fitzpatrick is headed back into free agency next spring. Despite lucking out with Fitzpatrick, the Jets have seriously bungled the quarterback position the last two years.
                            Source: ESPN
                            Aug 13 - 10:35 AM

Comment

Jets' Christian Hackenberg stands alone among rookie QBs ... no PT

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Of the 15 quarterbacks drafted in April, only one hasn't appeared in a preseason game:

Christian Hackenberg, the fourth quarterback selected.

The New York Jets are taking a slow and steady approach with Hackenberg, and there's nothing wrong with that. While it's unusual that he hasn't taken a single snap in a game -- none of his fellow rookies have played fewer than 15 snaps -- it confirms what we suspected when they chose him in the second round:

This will amount to a redshirt year for Hackenberg.

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey has said it can take up to a year to fix a quarterback's mechanics. The Jets evidently see Hackenberg as a fixer-upper, someone who will benefit from a year on the sideline. He struggled with his accuracy over his final two seasons at Penn State, perhaps because he was sacked 82 times.

Hackenberg apparently expected to play last Friday night against the Washington Redskins because he invited his father and a couple of friends to the game in Landover, Maryland, according to NJ.com. As it turned out, he didn't play. Todd Bowles called it "a coach's decision," a rather cryptic explanation that invited conspiracy theorists to float half-baked suspicions.

He almost certainly won't play Saturday against the New York Giants, but he saw an increase in practice reps on Monday. In 15 reps, he completed 6 of 12 passes, including two interceptions. He actually had five more reps than Bryce Petty (2-for-6, one interception). Hackenberg probably will make his debut in the presesaon finale. If not, it'll be time to worry.

A look at the 15 drafted quarterbacks and their preseason snap totals. One note: Six play for teams that have used at least four quarterbacks in the preseason.

Snap Totals For Drafted Rookie QBs

A look at the snap totals for the quarterbacks taken in the 2016 NFL draft through two preseason games.
                              1 Paxton Lynch, Broncos 75
                              6 Nate Sudfeld, Redskins 73
                              4 Cardale Jones, Bills 71
                              4 Dak Prescott, Cowboys 66
                              3 Jacoby Brissett, Patriots 54
                              6 Jake Rudock, Lions 50
                              1 Jared Goff, Rams 47
                              6 Jeff Driskel, 49ers 45
                              6 Brandon Allen, Jaguars 35
                              7 Brandon Doughty, Dolphins 24
                              1 Carson Wentz, Eagles 39
                              4 Connor Cook, Raiders 37
                              5 Kevin Hogan, Chiefs 18
                              3 Cody Kessler, Browns 15
                              2 Christian Hackenberg, Jets 0
                              Last edited by H2O4me; 08-23-2016, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X