The JAGUARS Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Sullivan among seven Jaguars assistants fired

On his first full day as the Jaguars’ coach, Doug Marrone fired eight assistant coaches Tuesday, but retained defensive coordinator Todd Wash.

Dismissed with one year remaining on their contracts were Jerry Sullivan (receivers), Tony Sorrentino (assistant receivers), Chris O’Hara (offensive assistant), DeWayne Walker (defensive backs), Robert Saleh (linebackers), Scottie Hazelton (assistant linebackers), Aaron Whitecotton (assistant defensive line) and Daniel Bullocks (assistant defensive backs).

Hazelton was hired later in the day as the defensive coordinator at Wyoming.

Besides Wash, the only defensive assistant retained was Mike Rutenberg.

Offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett is expected to return, but no official announcement was made.

Wash joined the Jaguars in 2013 and was the defensive line coach for three years before being promoted to coordinator last January. Under his direction, the Jaguars finished sixth in fewest yards allowed and eighth on third down.

Rutenberg followed Walker to the Jaguars from New Mexico State and was assistant defensive backs coach for three years before moving into a defensive assistant position for 2016.

The most notable coach fired was Sullivan. The 72-year old Sullivan was the longest-tenured position coach on the team said it would take “a special situation,” for him to continue working on a full-time basis. His full-time residence will remain in the Jacksonville area.

“I feel like I still have something to contribute and maybe somebody will call,” Sullivan said in a phone interview with the Times-Union. “If they do and it’s the right situation, I’ll be thankful. If they don’t, then I know I fought the good fight and ran the good race.”

Under Sullivan’s guidance, Cecil Shorts (2012), Allen Robinson (2015), Allen Hurns (2015) and Marqise Lee (2016) all had their best professional seasons. Robinson and Hurns each went over 1,000 yards in 2015.

Walker left his post as New Mexico State’s head coach to return to the NFL and the Jaguars in 2013. The Jaguars finished fifth in pass defense this year (215.2 yards per game), but gave up 12 passes of at least 40 yards (tied for fifth-most) and were last with seven interceptions.

Sorrentino, who joined the Jaguars in 2013 after working with Jedd Fisch at the University of Minnesota and Miami (Fla.). Sorrentino, 33, earned praise throughout the organization the last two years for his behind-the-scenes and practice field work.

Among the other coaches fired, Whitecotton was hired in 2013, O’Hara, Saleh and Hazelton in 2014 and Bullocks last year.

The new receivers coach will get to work with four-year players Robinson, Hurns and Lee and third-year player Rashad Greene. Veterans Arrelious Benn and Bryan Walters are free agents.

Robinson (1,400 yards and 14 touchdowns) and Hurns (1,031 yards and 10 touchdowns) broke out last year, but saw their numbers drip this year to 883 and six (Robinson) and 477 and three (Hurns, who missed the final five games with a hamstring injury).

The Jaguars’ downfield passing game was largely missing – their 19 completions of at least 25 yards were third fewest in the NFL.

“We struggled for big plays, which came last year came often and in bunches,” Sullivan said. “We struggled for a rhythm. After the Tennessee game [in Week 16], we were like, ‘Where has this been?’ I attribute it to this league having a lot of smart people that coach and they’re going to do their diligence to take you out of what you do well.”

Sullivan began his coaching career in 1971 and entered the NFL in 1992 with San Diego and understands his age may not make him as attractive a candidate as in previous years.

“As you get up in age, even though I do have a good reputation, your phone rings less, you know?” Sullivan said. “More of the guys I have relationships with aren’t coaching anymore. I’m very grateful for the career I’ve had and the coaches I’ve been able to work with.”

If this is it for Sullivan, it’s been quite the journey. He grew up in foster homes throughout the Miami area, but football allowed him to attend Florida State and experience a wildly successful coaching career.

“Since I was 12 years old – all I’ve done is played and then coached football,” Sullivan said. “Football saved me from the streets. Football helped me have a better life. This is a hard day.”
    If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Comment

• http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery...2-ed438723a01d

"It starts with toughness, though... That’s a little bit of something that has to happen. This league can benefit from more of that attitude and this team can benefit from that attitude, as well. You’re a pro. This isn’t pass-and-tap. It’s a tough game, it’s a tough business. You have to play through some things if your team is going to succeed."
      (On getting his message to the players early) “They’ll know exactly. Doug’s an old school guy, I’m an old school guy. The message is going to be exactly, or very, the same. We’ve shared information over the years, he and I. He’s visited me in New York, we’ve talked on the phone. I don’t think there’s going to be (any) real mystery to what the presentation is and what we believe in with how the game should be played and how a man should conduct himself with his family away from the building. There won’t be any misunderstanding in regards to that.”
      (On if he felt this team did not show toughness the last few years) “At times. It may not be the key word, but it is part of it. There’s a mental toughness part of this thing I’m talking about too. You’ve got to finish.”
      (On how much the run/pass imbalance last season bothered him) “A lot. I don’t think you’re helping the quarterback at all when you don’t rush the football. I think for our team to be successful in this division, noting that there are teams who will come in and run the ball and try to hold the ball, keep your offense on the sideline. We need to be able to do some of that as well. It’s easy to say that it’s a correctable thing, but as you know in this league, you get behind, you’re trying to find ways to get back in the game as fast as you can, no matter if its three points or 10 points.”
      (On how he sees the defense who ranked sixth in yards allowed, 24th or 25th in points allowed last year and who couldn’t get the stops in crucial times) “You summed it up. I think part of it is balance. The offense has got to help out. The offense has got to hold the ball, take the ball, don’t keep them on the field for an extended period of time. A lot of the scores were very reasonable scores that would’ve allowed that the game would’ve been won. They weren’t all lopsided, there wasn’t always a lot of scoring; those games you expect to win because you have a good, balanced football team. Special teams as well. Certainly the defense has got to do something about that, but our football team has to help each phase of the game to be the best they can be.”
      (On how much has the organizational aspect of the new role changed for him and his schedule) “The structure right now with the meetings that have to do with free agency and the meetings that have to do with the draft, the organizational meetings between Doug, Dave and I from the salary cap standpoint that is all kind of as you would expect. There’s nothing outside the lines in that one. My job will be and continue to be very much in tuned to players that can help us no matter what time of the year it is. That will be a big part in what I do, but there’s a lot I can share from a scheduling concept, from an organizational concept from what I’ve done, where I’ve been and the role I’ve always played. I’ve always taken great pride in how we did things and what the schedules were like, the efficiency of the schedules, how we conducted ourselves, all those things I can share and I’ll be continuing to share in those areas as well.”
      (On if he gets on how the young player handles adversity on the field as far as information he’s looking for) “All kinds of things. What kind of citizen has he been in his short tenure? What kind of student has he been? What kind of – how has he contributed to his team other than what you see on tape? Is he a "I, I, I" guy? We’re interested in team. Team, team, team. Teams win championships; individuals play the game.

Jaguars will only get better now.
      Last edited by H2O4me; 02-25-2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Ryan O'Halloran‏ @ryanohalloran
        6. Pointed out Bortles' breakdown in mechanics as reason for struggles last year. #Jaguars

5. Said hiring of QB coach Scott Milanovich from Toronto started when #Jaguars scout recommended him. Three candidates interviewed.

4. Raved about experience so far working with Coughlin/Caldwell tandem. Refers to T.C. as "coach." #Jaguars

3. Didn't close the door on re-signing Beachum, mentioned ability to play some guard. #Jaguars

2. Marrone pretty much said Gipson/Ramsey criticism of Wash after Indy game was in the past. But he didn't like it.

1. Marrone said #Jaguars want Myles Jack to be a "three-down," LB this year, but "he'll have to earn it."

Three sessions with #Jaguars coach Doug Marrone today at Combine. Overall, pretty good stuff ...

Comment

• Sources: NFLPA looking into potential off-season violation by Jaguars

jacksonville.com
          The NFLPA is investigating the Jaguars for a violation of the collective bargaining agreement in relation to a letter executive vice president Tom Coughlin sent to several players under contract.

The letter said they were required to return to Jacksonville for a physical examination during the middle part of this month.

The Jaguars’ players aren’t allowed to report to the team’s facility until April 10 and multiple league sources said the team’s request isn’t allowed.

A source said the union was notified of Coughlin’s letter by an agent of a player who doesn’t live in Jacksonville and balked at paying his own travel expenses back to town.

A second league source said several players were advised by their agents to go through the physical even as the NFLPA began its inquiry.

The source said a potential punishment for the Jaguars could be forfeiting an organized team activity (OTA) workout this spring.

Teams are occasionally stripped of OTAs because of “excessive contact,” during a session the previous year – Seattle and Atlanta will have fewer than the allowed 10 this spring and the Seahawks were also docked their fifth-round draft pick.

This is the second item the NFLPA is looking into regarding the Jaguars since Coughlin’s hiring in January; former defensive end Jared Odrick filed a $5.5 million grievance against the team earlier this month saying he is owed money that was guaranteed for injury.

Comment

• Ryan O'Halloran @ryanohalloran
            Gotta think it's over for No. 5 here. (12:09 a.m., 8/18/17)

!!!?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
              Ryan O'Halloran @ryanohalloran

!!!?!?
              I heard he's been doing god awful. Probably having a new offensive coordinator every year in the NFL had a little to do with that. I think a change of scenery is in order.

Comment

• Originally posted by 281Texan View Post

I heard he's been doing god awful. Probably having a new offensive coordinator every year in the NFL had a little to do with that. I think a change of scenery is in order.
                I haven't been watching at all, but that's a lead beat writer for Jaguars saying that.

If they move on, their timing is pretty favorable with the bounty of top QBs in upcoming draft.

Comment

I haven't been watching at all, but that's a lead beat writer for Jaguars saying that.

If they move on, their timing is pretty favorable with the bounty of top QBs in upcoming draft.
                  Yeah, four straight punts on his first four drives. Was replaced by Henne and Henne was working with the 1's. Jalen Ramsey and Allen Robinson have been vocal about his poor play too.

Comment

• Jaguars to possibly cut Bortles this summer?
                    The Florida Times Union's Ryan O'Halloran believes "it would make perfect sense" for the Jaguars to cut Blake Bortles this summer.

Whew. It would be quite the turn of events, but 1010 XL Jacksonville's Hays Carlyon suggested a similar thing Friday morning. The No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 draft, Bortles has melted down this summer, first experiencing a "tired arm" last weekend, whether that was an excuse by coach Doug Marrone in order to see more of Chad Henne or not, and then Bortles completely hitting rock bottom in Thursday's preseason game. He forced throws, missed wide-open big plays, and even his completions were a chore. Bortles' 2017 salary is guaranteed, but the Jaguars can't let Bortles on the field and expose him to injury, which would kick in a guarantee of his $19 million salary for 2018. At this point, Henne is the favorite to start Week 1.
                    Source: Florida Times Union
                    Aug 18 - 11:10 AM
                    Beat writer believes Henne will start Week 1
                    The Florida Times Union's Ryan O'Halloran believes Chad Henne will be the Jaguars' Week 1 starter against the Texans.

Jaguars beat writers have been having a field day following Blake Bortles' disastrous performance in the second preseason game. Coach Doug Marrone has been hinting at this for about a week now, first giving Bortles a day off at practice last weekend because of a "tired arm" and then saying before Thursday night's exhibition that Henne was going to get work with the first-team offense. Henne moved the offense and should have had a touchdown, but both Keelan Cole and Allen Robinson dropped surefire touchdowns in the end zone. Bortles' confidence is in the gutter. Henne gives the Jaguars a tad better of a chance to win.
                    Source: Florida Times Union
                    Aug 18 - 10:53 AM

Comment

• BB didn't look that much different than he has before to me.

Missed some throws by a bit, still elongated release (compare it to Henne's).

I don't see benching him all season and cutting him. Maybe he's worse in practice?

Comment

• Around The NFL‏ @AroundTheNFL
                        Jaguars DE Dante Fowler charged with three misdemeanors stemming from July arrest:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

Comment

• Chad Henne will start third preseason game
                          Chad Henne will start the Jaguars' third preseason game.

This has been the direction the Jaguars were trending since Blake Bortles' terrible showing in the second preseason game. Jacksonville is in win-now mode under EVP Tom Coughlin and view Henne as a game-managing upgrade on Bortles. Bortles is expected to get some work with the starters, but the Week 1 job looks like Henne's to lose.
                          Source: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter
                          Aug 23 - 7:00 PM

Allen Hurns on trade block in Jacksonville?
                          The Florida Times Union's Ryan O'Halloran "guesses" the Jaguars are shopping Allen Hurns on the trade block.

Hurns has yet to play this preseason despite being relatively healthy. He missed a bunch of action last season due to a severe hamstring strain. GM Dave Caldwell just signed Hurns to a "five-year, $40.6 million" deal last June, but he appears to already be falling out of favor with guys like Marqise Lee playing well last season and rookie Dede Westbrook impressing this summer. Hurns likely wouldn't fetch much in the trade department coming off a really down 2016.
                          Source: Ryan O'Halloran on Twitter
                          Aug 23 - 10:07 AM
                          Last edited by H2O4me; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

BB didn't look that much different than he has before to me.

Jacksonville Jaguars @Jaguars
                            Doug Marrone has named Blake Bortles the starting QB for the regular season opener against Houston on Sept. 10.
                            Thinking this was more a Coughlin motivational tool. BB gives you more flexibility. Henne's game is pretty narrow.

Comment

• BB isn't going anywhere. Just hype. And yeah, if he did get benched, it wouldn't be for Henne.
                              Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
                              TexansCap.com

Comment

Working...
                              X