Hurricane Harvey/area flooding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Harvey/area flooding

To all of you guys, I hope you're safe during this trying time. Be prepared and keep your family calm. Hopefully we won't experience a power outage, but should we lose power, hopefully you've already got a generator to get you through. Remember to keep the generator a safe distance from your home and point the exhaust away from your home to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Also, start your generator before you plug your extension chords into it. Every time you let it rest, shut it off, unplug all the extension cords and don't plug them back in until after you restart it. Keep all if your extension cords out of water. Run you generator for 2 to 3 hours at a time and then shut it off to allow it to rest at least 15 minutes. To save your gas, you can add a little Seafoam to it to extend the fuel life and keep your generator motor clean. Also remember to check the oil in your generator and if it's dark, change it. Stay inside. If you don't absolutely have to, avoid getting out. Hopefully you have plenty of batteries and flash lights, bottled water, non perishable foods, and candles to get you through. Hopefully, we can watch our Texans tomorrow night without interruption from the storm. Be safe, spend time with your families, and God be with all of you.
    GO TEXANS!
    ~Your Weekly Game Thread Creator~

GO TEXANS!!!

I got stuck offshore in the Gulf of Mexico for work and my wife/kids are at home in Bay City. They are expecting to catch the worst of this storm and are too late to evacuate at this point. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

$ In Bill We Trust &

Comment

Latest 192 hour rainfall forecasts, click image for larger...

50+" by Corpus.
      If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Comment

This is as bad as I've seen on SCWx,

At least one model taking it through next Friday now...

After looking at the latest forecast models, we feel pretty bad

Houston residents have started to see rain bands from Hurricane Harvey move onshore today. Unfortunately, this is but a taste of what awaits the city—and the entire Texas coast from south of Corpus Christi through the Beaumont area, as well as inland counties—for several days to come. I’d love nothing more than to write a post expressing some optimism about the rainfall forecast ahead, but as of now it looks really quite grim. So let’s get to it.

Harvey has intensified this afternoon, reaching 120-mph sustained winds and Category 3 status. It should come ashore the central Texas coast near Port Aransas on Saturday morning, by or before sunrise. The storm is going pack a major wallop in terms of both wind and storm surge. Residents in the area should have completed their preparations and evacuated, because conditions are starting to deteriorate. It is a life-threatening situation for people who have remained behind in low-lying areas between Corpus Christi and Matagorda.

Hurricane Harvey is coming. And unfortunately, he isn’t going anywhere. (NOAA)

Beyond Harvey’s landfall the situation remains a mess. An absolute mess. Last night we talked about three different scenarios for Harvey’s movement, post-landfall. And honestly, all three of them remain in play. The most important thing to understand is that our confidence in Harvey’s post-landfall track remains very low. Unfortunately the most likely scenario now is that Harvey isn’t going anywhere, any time soon. Therefore, we can say with high confidence that Harvey will produce a [googles a synonym for ‘sh–load’] large amount of rainfall over Texas.

Expect floods. Lots of flooding.

Let’s start with the GFS model to explain what I mean. Here’s the ensemble plot of Harvey’s remnant low (perhaps still a tropical storm, perhaps not, doesn’t really matter) location for Thursday morning. Remember this is fully five days after landfall.

GFS ensemble forecast for Harvey’s remnant low location on Thursday morning. (Weather Bell)

Yeah, that’s bad. If this is more or less correct, it means Harvey has remained in Texas, within 100 or 200 miles of the Gulf of Mexico, for five days hoovering up moisture and heat from the bath-like Gulf and dumping it on the eastern half of Texas. Five days. I think Noah just maxed out his Home Depot credit card.

And it’s not just the GFS model. One of NOAA’s best hurricane-only models, the HWRF, basically takes Harvey on a similar, five-day rainmaking tour of central and south Texas, keeping the storm in place with no steering currents.

HWRF position for Harvey on Wednesday, at noon. (Weather Bell)

Finally, there’s the European model, which during its last two runs had pulled Harvey out into the Gulf and had it caught up in a trough over the Midwestern United States. At least this pulled it out of the region by Wednesday, or so. Now the European seems to be playing the “shelter in place” game with Harvey’s remnants, too. Its latest run (12z) keeps Harvey more or less onshore (not entirely) and has the storm wandering around Corpus Christi, Victoria, and the western Houston area through … Friday night.

I’ve been saying it is meaningless to try and predict which areas of Texas will get the greatest amount of rainfall during the next several days, and that remains true given that there is such low confidence in Harvey’s evolution once it moves onshore. But I feel confident that a lot of people, perhaps most of the area between Corpus Christi and Beaumont, have a good chance of seeing a lot of rain. Like widespread 15 to 25 inches of rain over the next five or six days. Or maybe more. That means you, Pearland. Take a bow, Katy. You’re on deck too, Baytown. Have some water, League City. Looking at you up there in The Woodlands, too.

Key takeaways
        • A very serious flooding situation is coming.
        • For some reason, the Governor of Texas said Friday afternoon that Houstonians should evacuate from the rain. Normally that decision is handled by local officials, who have advised residents to ride out the storm. That would be my advice as well for almost everyone in Houston.
        Matt will be posting the next update at around 7pm CT today. Hopefully he will be able to come up with some brighter outlooks where I have failed.

Comment

This might be my last post for awhile!

Stay safe all, and GO TEXANS!

Comment

The wind is really blowing in galveston. So far not much rain as expected but it sure is gusting like crazy. Got 95 % of stuff up off the ground. Just hoping it doesn't flood. I'm surprised how strong the winds are...memories of Ike. It's got to be really blowing near Corpus if it is like this here. Stay safe everyone.
            Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
            TexansCap.com

Comment

Stay safe Texas.
              Weather Report for NFL Season: Partly Clowney with a good chance of Pain!

Comment

Good luck with Harvey everyone. First hurricane in 30 years that I wasn't at ground zero. I'm west of Bandera which means I'll probably have an oak branch on my roof by morning, but god I hope everyone comes out OK.

Comment

Stay safe. And stay away from those Dallas Cowgirls coolers!

https://www.click2houston.com/sports...ing-hurricanes

Comment

Well the winds have died down, we are inbetween rain bands and dry....for the moment. My ditch is full and I am still a little nervous. Hoping we stay in between those bands and get a chance to drain some.
                    Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
                    TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post
                      Well the winds have died down, we are inbetween rain bands and dry....for the moment. My ditch is full and I am still a little nervous. Hoping we stay in between those bands and get a chance to drain some.
                      Getting soaked here. Expect it all night.

Comment

Originally posted by tko54321 View Post
                        Stay safe. And stay away from those Dallas Cowgirls coolers!

https://www.click2houston.com/sports...ing-hurricanes
                        Isn't this common knowledge?

Comment

Subject to change, latest track...

Comment

Water is receding VERY SLOWLY after the last round of rain.

Why would anyone drive over inundated roads like they are doing right now? I guess ruining vehicles is the new rage.
                            https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Hi folks,

I kind of like missing out the news, I evacuated my place because water flood are in the level of a human height, I don't know now if how was it, I am in Oklahoma Texas right now, my place is in San Antonio.

Can you give me updates how's the condition in San Antonio?

Comment

Working...
                              X