Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Style Fajitas

Introduction

Sure everyone can make a fajita. But sometimes a new recipe encourages a revitalization of an old classic. And lets face it, fajitas cook in no time and we need time savers tailgating so we have time to relax and drink those beers and discuss why the roof isn't open before the game.

I call this college style because when i was in college, I had fajitas every weekend for several years with the gang and and ice chest of coronas. I kind of perfected what I like, but feel free to deviate to your liking any ingredients etc. I still make fajitas often at tailgating but take a lot of shortcuts because .... well... you have to get things done so you can eat and get inside. But here is my old recipe which is probably very generic but may be new to some just starting out their grilling adventures in life.

The Beef

First things first. Chicken fajitas are not fajitas. Sorry. It's just grilled chicken really. Beef fajitas is where a man can find true satisfaction. It's like the fish taco. Sorry, not a taco. Sure they are good if made right, but I don't get down to Encinada very often anymore for those yummy fish tacos. Same for fajitas. Just like a fish taco is not a taco, the chicken fajita is not a fajita. The most important ingredient is the beef. Fajitas are usually made with skirt steak which is the traditional way of the fajita. It's best to find yourself a GOOD butcher. One who knows his stuff, and gets good beef. If you have that, you can use skirt steak of high quality. (you won't find this at Wal-Mart people). But for those who need a more tender fajita, flank will work (not as tasty), but if you have the money, filet mignon (angus) is the way to go for a truly tender fajita. One you can cut with a fork. (Just for demonstration, don't use utensils when eating fajitas!) If you use filet mignon, be sure NOT to get ones that have the bacon wrap. Bacon ruins the fajita taste. Contrary to popular belief, bacon does not go well with everything. Sorry Canadiens.
    But we are going college style and no one has any money in college so we are going to use skirt steak. There are two secrets to making skirt steak really tender. Marinade! And how you cut it. Of course how you cook it will affect how tender it is too. More on that later.

So we have our butcher bought skirt steak. Be sure to have enough for everyone. If you make them right, there won't be any leftovers no matter how much you think you over bought.

Get a large bowl that will hold all the meat and marinade. Most recipes suggest to marinade 30 minutes. If you listen to that nonsense, you haven't lived. Marinade soaks the beef. 30 minutes isn't enough time to get anything accomplished. Since this is for tailgating the next morning, start at about 8pm the night before. That's about 12 hours of marination. Very important!
    I'm guessing that you will have 3-4 slabs of skirt steak. Sometimes the skirt steak will have a thin layer of fat skin on one side in a place or two. If you see this, try to find another butcher. I will try to cut this off. It does not help at all to leave it on. It does not add to the tenderness because it is on the outside, not infused into the beef. Marbling is great but needs to be throughout and not heavy. Skirt steak is so thin, the outside fat skin just burns and leaves a nasty funk on the outside. Good eaters won't care, but I am a picky eater and cut this off before I start. Slice it off like fileting a fish. Just take off the fat skin...slice very thin and don't remove any meat. Hopefully you butcher took the time to make a good cut and this step is not needed. Usually about 2 pounds will make about 10 fajitas. Recipe for 2 pounds, adjust for your tailgating crowd.
    Okay meat is ready. Place all the slabs to the side for now.

The Marinade

Okay, here is where the good stuff starts. If your marinade sucks, so will your fajitas. Get a big bowl.

Your going to need some limes for the marinade and the beers. You only need about a quarter cup of lime juice for the marinade. Some people use more but I find that it tries to cook the meat prematurely and usually never go more than a quarter cup even if I have more poundage of meat. If you like limes, go for it but don't put the meat in the marinade until you go to bed or the lime juice will start cooking it in the ziplock bag. Add lime juice to bowl.

I like a little garlic on mine and usually buy 3 cloves and crush them up good like apple sauce. (In college I used a hammer) Add mash to bowl.

Get some virgin virgin olive oil and add about 2 spoons full to the bowl. I don't know what a table spoon is. Just whatever spoon you have will do. We're men...we don't need to be precise.

I like to add some cilantro because it makes it zing. Not too much...like a handful will do. Not an over flowing handful either. If you can run to your mailbox and not spill any from your hand, that is the right amount. If you think your handful will spill out on the way to the mailbox, that's too much.
    Add it to your bowl.

Obviously we need bell peppers. I like the red, green, and yellow combo but just pick your favorites. Slice them very very thin. No one wants a long slice of pepper hanging out of their mouth after a bite so i usually cut mine about 2 inches long after the thin slicing. I'll usually use 2 of each color. (6 total) Add to bowl.
    For those who love hot food, you can add one jalapeno pepper but be sure to NOT ADD ANY SEEDS! Of course you will miss some, but try to remove most of the seeds or you might run out of beer.

I hate onions but I actually eat them on fajitas. The traditional onion to use is the red onion but I prefer the sweet onion because it doesn't make your breath that bad and the flavor is much milder than the stinging red onion. Get whatever onion you like and again slice as thin as you can. I usually chop and slice and dice mine up so i embellish the mild flavor some. The more you cut an onion the more onion-y it will taste. (true story)
    Add to bowl.

Now for the stupid college ingredient. Paul Newman's Italian dressing. I know it sounds crazy but just trust me on this. One bottle for every 2 pounds of beef. Pour it into bowl.

Who doesn't like pepper on their beef? Add to your liking but don't over do it. We want fajitas not pepper steak!

If you are a salt nut, add a couple pinches of salt.

If you are a spicy fan, add some cayenne pepper.

Almost there.

Take a look at your marinade. If it looks too thick, it won't penetrate the beef. Add a little water if you need to.

Now add your beef to the bowl and really get into it. Squish and rub that marinade all over that meat. Feel free to 'over do it' on this step. You want to be sure every inch of beef is covered in marinade.

Now get some large ziplock bags. Hopefully everything will fit into one large bag but if not no biggie. Put in the beef. Then pour the marinade into the bag(s). Squish it all around some more. When you are satisfied, remove all the excess air from the bag, seal it and place flat in your refrigerator overnight and let the juices do their thing while you dream of a Texans victory the next day.

The Grill

Get that sucker hot! Fajita meat doesn't need to cook long. 2 or 3 minutes turning vigorously.

If you are like me, you don't bring pans to tailgating. Fashion a aluminum foil pan with 4 layers of foil on the bottom. 3 layers if you are running short. Remove the meat from the prepared bags leaving the veggies and marinade.

Once your foil pan looks smoking, add the marinade with veggies and stir with wood spoon or the like. Cook it down to a thick broth. While you are doing this the grill should be just about ready for the meat. Make sure it is very hot!
    You shouldn't be able to hold your hand over the grill for more than a second.

When you first place the slab down on the grill, let it sizzle and sear the outside (20 seconds). Do this on both sides. This seals the meat with the juices inside and is critical to getting a tender fajita! That's why the grill needs to be really hot before you slap that slab down.
    You want to seal the outside and get that grilled burn on it quick. Continue turning and do not burn or over cook! Pay attention. It is only the most important 3 minutes of the whole ordeal! Don't burn it. Keep it turning...usually every 20 seconds is good. You want to achieve about a medium rare cook. I can't emphasize enough about not over cooking. Over cook and you get tough and chewy unless you used the filet mignon instead of the skirt steak.

You should be just about done. Once your veggies and meat are done remove from grill to prep area.

Cutting the Fajita Meat

One more EXTREMELY important lesson here is how to cut that skirt steak. Take a look at it. You should see long grains going in a certain direction. No matter how tempting it is to cut along the grain, DON'T DO IT! Cut your long strips against the grain. Then cut your strips to length. Might seem like a dumb thing but you won't believe the difference it makes with skirt steak!

================================================== ====

Okay now you are done. Fajitas are usually served with salsa, sour cream and of course guac. I always use the Kraft 4 cheese Mexican. That is a great blend of cheeses for tacos and fajitas. I won't go into any of the making of this because your meat will be so good , your extras don't have to be that good.

Flour or corn tortillas wrap the deliciousness into a nice package. Add meat, veggies, cheese, salsa, etc and pig out! You're going to need all the strength you can get for yelling on defense and walking up and down those ramps and stairs.

Hope you guys enjoy it and give it a try. Hope i didn't forget anything too.

================================================== ==================
    Ingredients:
    2 pounds of skirt steak
    8 limes
    A small handful of cilantro sprigs
    3 cloves of garlic
    2 Red Bell Peppers
    2 Green Bell Peppers
    2 Yellow Bell peppers
    2 spoons full of virgin olive oil
    2-3 sweet onions or one big red onion
    1 bottle of Paul Newman's Italian Dressing
    Corn or Flour Tortillas

Optional ingredients
    1 jalapeno pepper
    Black Pepper
    Salt
    Cayenne pepper
    Water

Tools needed
    Grill
    Big Bowl
    Sharp Knife
    Hammer
    Wood spoon
    Aluminum Foil
    Ziplock Bags Large

Accessories
    Cheese
    Sour Cream
    Salsa
    Guacamole
    Last edited by Yosarian; 02-21-2013, 02:51 AM.
    Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
    TexansCap.com

I'll give it a whirl when I get back.... Thanks Yos
    sigpic

Comment

You have successfully made me hungry! I'm gonna give this a shot sometime soon, sounds delicious. Thanks

Comment

Let me know how it goes. It should come out great!
        Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
        TexansCap.com

Comment

Love me some fajitas! It's a regular with us Mesicans.

Comment

Too bad most college kids can't afford fajitas now a days!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by austins23 View Post
              I delivered pizzas after school to afford the fajita weekend get together. Plus a lot of the guys would chip in for the beer. So we managed.
              TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by austins23 View Post
                That's even more true of their parents...
                https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Fridays coming....Fajita Friday is a easy way to start the weekend! Just sayin'. Make those plans early!
                  TexansCap.com

Comment

I'm gonna give these a shot Sunday. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by rssfootball2011 View Post
                      I'm gonna give these a shot Sunday. I'll let you know how they turn out.
                      Okay. I was thinking about firing up the grill too this weekend.
                      TexansCap.com

Comment

Marinade is made, waiting till I go to bed and I'll add the meat.

Edit: alright meat is in and man does it look good. Lunch will be good tomorrow!
                        Last edited by rssfootball2011; 06-15-2014, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Marinade is made, waiting till I go to bed and I'll add the meat.

Edit: alright meat is in and man does it look good. Lunch will be good tomorrow!
                          I got out some venison and deer sausage from the freezer. Hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.

I hope you enjoy the recipe. It's nice and simple, which for me is good. I like good food, but I don't like having to work too hard to get it. lol
                          TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post
                            I got out some venison and deer sausage from the freezer. Hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.

I hope you enjoy the recipe. It's nice and simple, which for me is good. I like good food, but I don't like having to work too hard to get it. lol
                            Man oh man, they were KILLER. Really easy recipe but a great one. Everyone enjoyed them. They are the perfect combo of sweet and zingy.

Thanks for the recipe, will definitely be making them again.

Comment

Man oh man, they were KILLER. Really easy recipe but a great one. Everyone enjoyed them. They are the perfect combo of sweet and zingy.

Thanks for the recipe, will definitely be making them again.
                              No problem. Glad you had a good day to do it.
                              TexansCap.com

Comment

Working...
                              X