• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Texans Mock Draft Survey

2017 Mock Draft Survey 2.0: Pre-Senior Bowl

Drew Dougherty
    The mock drafts are back.

A few days after the 2016 NFL Draft concluded, we compiled the "way-too-early" mock draft survey for 2017. It's a fun little exercise to look back at who some of the experts had the Texans taking in a year's time.

There are still three months and change until the 2017 Draft gets underway in Philadelphia on Thursday, April 27. Next week in Mobile, Alabama Senior Bowl practices begin, and the game will be played on Saturday January 28.

With that in mind, we started researching the mock drafts bouncing around the internet and chose the dozen below to see who the Texans might select at pick 25.

Safety and offensive line were the most selected positions, as three prognosticators apiece had the Texans selecting a player from those positions.

Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson, Michigan safety Jabrill Peppers and Western Kentucky offensive lineman Forrest Lamp were each chose by two experts as being future Texans.
    WEBSITE (WRITER) PLAYER (PICK) LATEST MOCK
    CBSSports (R. Rang) DT Malik McDowell, Mich. St. 1/19/17
    CBSSports (D. Brugler) S Jabrill Peppers, Michigan 1/19/17
    DraftTek.com OLB T.J. Watt, Wisconsin 1/19/17
    DraftWire/USA Today (L. Easterling) QB Deshaun Watson, Clemson 1/16/17
    ESPN.com (M. Kiper, Jr.) S Budda Baker, Washington 1/19/17
    NFL.com (D. Jeremiah) QB Desahun Watson, Clemson 1/19/17
    Pro Football Focus (S. Palazzalo) OL Forrest Lamp, W. Kentucky 1/18/17
    Rotoworld (J. Norris) S Jabrill Peppers, Michigan 1/10/17
    SBNation.com (D. Kadar) OL Forrest Lamp, W. Kentucky 1/16/17
    Sporting News (E. Galko) OT Cam Robinson, Alabama 1/10/17
    WalterFootball.com TE O.J. Howard, Alabama 1/19/17
    WalterFootball.com (C. Campbell) LB Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt 1/13/17
    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

DT Malik McDowell has been described as having no motor - a huge red flag right there. OL Forrest Lamp would be a great pick for us - not sexy, but we don't need sexy right now - we need hard core.
    1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Jabrill Peppers. Jabrill Peppers. Jabrill Peppers.

Comment

Originally posted by Texansguy View Post
        I know Texans tend to go with close to BPA with their first pick and that is fair enough.
        However, I don't think anyone is under the illusion that the O needs the most help so I sincerely hope the most powerful pick for Texans should be dedicated to it.

1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

tj watt

Comment

Even allowing for the fact that prospect ratings will rise and fall over the next three months, we also don't know our needs based on free agency. Does Joseph or Cushing get cut? Do they sign another lineman? Does Wilfork really retire? These are all important questions that will affect BPA and need debates. Outside of a QB (which I'm not opposed to), I want a guy that we can plug in somewhere and contribute immediately.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Barzilla View Post
              Even allowing for the fact that prospect ratings will rise and fall over the next three months, we also don't know our needs based on free agency. Does Joseph or Cushing get cut? Do they sign another lineman? Does Wilfork really retire? These are all important questions that will affect BPA and need debates. Outside of a QB (which I'm not opposed to), I want a guy that we can plug in somewhere and contribute immediately.
              If he's available at #25, D'Onta Foreman is the guy that fits that bill imho. After the first couple of OT's there similar depth through RD4 but everyone will try to reach and justify. If OH Howard is still on the board, he could fill the TE void that Griffin may create but would he be more productive than Foreman in year one? Not sure, since a better blocking TE might be available later.

Comment

I feel the Texans need to shore up that Oline. With RT spot up in the air, the Texans need to build for the future. Offense needs to be addressed.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Texansguy View Post
                  Michigan fan here, and Peppers is a freak and can fill 2 needs maybe 3. But, I don't think he lasts past pick 10, if that long. We need a QB more and only 1-3 are say 1 learning season from starting. Watson and the kid from ND are the 2 that we might be able to get and both with 1 season to learn the system could be a very good QB.

Let Savage run the show and Brock as backup (unless McNair admits he was wrong and then with luck we can get rid of him somehow and let Weeden be the backup. With the rookie at #3. In a perfect world that's how it could go. But, I see Weeden gone so we can resign AJ and others. And Brock is the backup seeing I don't see McNair letting Brock go yet.
                  JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

2017 Mock Draft Survey 3.0: Post-Senior Bowl

Drew Dougherty
                    With the Senior Bowl, and the Super Bowl for that matter, now in the rearview mirror, we've updated the Mock Draft Survey.

The third iteration compiled the results from 18 of the more notable NFL Draft experts and focused on who those prognosticators thought the Texans would take at 25 in late April.

Of the 18, eight had Houston nabbing an offensive lineman. The most-selected player was Alabama tackle Cam Robinson.

At 6-6, 310 pounds, the 2016 Outland Trophy winner was a part of three SEC championship teams with the Crimson Tide. He started every game in his three years with Alabama and was a unanimous All-American in 2016.

WEBSITE (WRITER) PLAYER (PICK) LATEST MOCK
                    Bleacher Report (M. Miller) LB Jarrad Davis, Florida 2/6/17
                    CBSSports (D. Brugler) S Jabrill Peppers, Michigan 1/30/17
                    CBSSports (R. Rang) OL Cam Robinson, Alabama 1/28/17
                    DraftTek.com QB Deshaun Watson, Clemson 2/2/17
                    DraftWire/USA Today (L. Easterling) QB Pat Mahomes, III, Texas Tech 2/6/17
                    ESPN.com (M. Kiper, Jr.) S Budda Baker, Washington 1/19/17
                    Newsday (N. Klopsis) S Jabrill Peppers, Michigan 2/6/17
                    NFL.com (B. Brooks) OL Cam Robinson, Alabama 1/26/17
                    NFL.com (D. Jeremiah) QB Desahun Watson, Clemson 1/19/17
                    NFL.com (C. Reuter) OL Garett Bolles, Utah 1/22/17
                    NFL.com (L. Zierlein) OL Forrest Lamp, W. Kentucky 1/30/17
                    Pro Football Focus (S. Palazzalo) OL Forrest Lamp, W. Kentucky 1/18/17
                    Rotoworld (J. Norris) OL Cam Robinson, Alabama 2/6/17
                    SBNation.com (D. Kadar) OL Cam Robinson, Alabama 2/6/17
                    SI.com (C. Burke) OL Ryan Ramczyk, Wisconsin 1/30/17
                    Sporting News (E. Galko) S Justin Evans, Texas A&M 2/7/17
                    WalterFootball.com QB Pat Mahomes, Texas Tech 2/2/17
                    WalterFootball.com (C. Campbell) QB Pat Mahomes, Texas Tech 2/6/17
                    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

I like Garrett Bolles over Cam Robinson...unless Ryan Ramczyk drops to #25. That would be pretty ok in my book.

Comment

Absolutely agree at the moment Ramczyk then Bolles and then Robinson. I'm hoping the hip injury heals nicely but being unable to do much pushes RR down to us.

Comment

Way too early. Depends SOO heavily on FA. If we bring in Ricky Wagner at RT, then the majority of the expert picks are wrong. Even if we don't bring anyone in, if we lose AJ Bouye and Kareem moves to Safety..then we are suddenly down to only Kevin Johnson on the roster in 2018 with Robert Nelson as our #2......so yeah, a CB could actually be a great pick here if we lose Bouye.

But assuming we resign our FA's, and fill holes with cheap vet value targets like normal, giving us ability to go BPA....... I really like Jabrill Peppers or Sidney Jones.

Why I like Peppers - His football IQ and athleticism. I believe Crennell and Vrabel can mold this guy into a big time playmaker. I've seen him compared to Eric Berry. He can get bigger, and he may even be able to get a little quicker. With Crennel and Vrabel attacking offenses with a number of looks, Peppers can confuse offenses with whether he's hovering to act as a LB or drop back in coverage. I've heard the term Offensive Weapon before....well he can be drafted as a Defensive Weapon for all I care!

Why I like Jones- I feel like Jones upgrades two spots with one pick. First, at CB, his frickin NFL Comp was Kevin Johnson!! I'll take another one of him in the secondary for when JJo leaves. Kevin Johnson, Sydney Jones and AJ Bouye in the secondary would be scary for years. If we lose Bouye...that much more reason we need him. Secondly, it will allow Kareem Jackson to upgrade our Safety position. I truly believe he can be a much better Safety than any we have on the roster, and now that Demps is gone we have an empty spot. Jones could be a better CB than KJax, and KJax is a better Safety than what we have. It's two major upgrades in one pick.
                          Last edited by dallas_texan; 02-08-2017, 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by dallas_texan View Post
                            ....... I really like Jabrill Peppers or Sidney Jones.
                            Love Jones, don't think we need him if Bouye resigns and don't think we'll sniff him at 25. Let's see how he runs.

I used to be higher on Jabrill until a scout friend directed me to some things in reviewing game film... I think he's a great athlete but not an instinctive football player. For a first round pick I want more walking into the facility than that. He may become better, but not guaranteed.

Comment

I heard this on the radio and somehow it is different than print.

They said they went with 18 sites and of the 18 the breakdown was:

10- Mahomes
                              5- Lamp
                              3- Other OL player

Seeing this version is confusing at best as I don't get why it is different than the transcript of the radio.

I would go Mahomes at 25 or trade up in the 2nd early and get him. I can spam videos of scouting reports and every single one says the same thing 95%.

Pros:
                              Intagiables, Arm strength, Accuracy, Touch, Ability to read a D and look off defenders, mobility, size, smarts/football IQ, pocket presence, timing

Cons:
                              Footwork (some say don't fix it because he is still accurate and you don't want to mess up what works), Gunslinger at times, mechanics (only if you want to fix the footwork is it an issue)

That is a very good list. He grades out so far at an 86 (90+ is 1st 10 picks and should not pass if position is a need).

Side note: Watson grades out at a 77 and multiple reports say he is too inaccurate to be more than a good backup. I was surprised by this, but did watch some film and he is very inaccurate.

I would love Peppers if he is a S. Kid is amazing on multiple points of his game and can play S/CB/WR/RB/QB(a tiny bit but trick plays)/PR/KR. I would not want him doing all of that, but saw it at Michigan and he can do all but the QB role very well.
                              JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Working...
                              X