• Texans 2017 NFL Draft Prospect Visits Tracker

Texans 2017 NFL Draft Prospect Visits Tracker

Dalvin Tomlinson, DL, Alabama (SB)
    O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama (SB)
    Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss (SB)
    Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama (SB)
    Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas (SB)
    Chris Wormley, DL, Michigan (SB)
    Last edited by H2O4me; 01-29-2017, 02:01 PM.
    I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

Contacts -- informal conversations

Leon McQuay III USC S
    Taylor McNamara USC TE
    Colin Jeter LSU TE
    I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

Comment

Great choices all .... no need to have a chat with any offensive linemen !!!
      "I disapprove of what you say, I will however, defend to the death, your right to say it!" -
      Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by hasbeen View Post
        By no means complete lists...

And at Senior Bowl the more correct statement would be that every team talks to every player in some form or fashion. Some teams just gather the basics: contact, family background, agent, etc. and use a less frantic time to sit down with the prospects. A lot is done from observation, not just conversation.

I put these lists up as confirmed contacts by media.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
          Contacts -- informal conversations

Leon McQuay III USC S
          Taylor McNamara USC TE
          Colin Jeter LSU TE
          With all these TE's being looked at it would suggest that we are going to release one of ours - Fido looks good, Anderson just finished his rookie season so that leaves Griffin.
          1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post
            With all these TE's being looked at it would suggest that we are going to release one of ours - Fido looks good, Anderson just finished his rookie season so that leaves Griffin.
            It's an excellent TE class.

I agree on Grif. Remember Stephen Anderson can't really help in the run game, so might look for a big 'un.

Comment

Griffin is probably out. I like Sprinkle in the later rounds but wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Butt if his free-fall lands him in the latter part of RD4.

Comment

Need to talk to Mahomes asap the kid is legit after 12+ hours of film. He is the best steal QB of the draft in 3 or less years and maybe the whole draft. He has everything that you want
                JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
                  Need to talk to Mahomes asap the kid is legit after 12+ hours of film. He is the best steal QB of the draft in 3 or less years and maybe the whole draft. He has everything that you want
                  I disagree. I watched quite a few TT games, and IMHO, he is a product of the system. I don't see him having much success in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by vtech9 View Post

I disagree. I watched quite a few TT games, and IMHO, he is a product of the system. I don't see him having much success in the NFL.
                    Looking off DBs, buying time, being accurate, making all the throws, reading a D, selling plays, moving DBs. What else can you want in a QB? He is doing stuff some NFL starters can't already. If you watch a full scouting report it shows you everything. Good, bad and unimportant
                    JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

I posted this about Mahomes on another thread but obviously its needed here as well...

The HC of TT is Kliff Kingsbury. He is a former Mike Leach QB and is a Leach coaching protege. The only difference between KK's offense and Mike Leach's is that KK has learned the value of a mobile QB. The offensive tree associated with MIke Leach (he is a Mumme disciple) has always had a QB that puts up gaudy numbers but not a single one has EVER made an impact on the NFL...

1997-1998 Leach was OC at Kentucky under Mumme. Tim Couch was the starting QB putting up 3800 & 4200 yds passing. He was drafted by Browns and never did anything in the NFL
                      1999 Leach was OC at OU under Stoops. QB was Josh Heupel who also did nothing in the NFL and is now coaching a variant of Leach's offense.
                      2000-2009 Leach was HC of Texas Tech. For the 1st 3 years his QB was Kliff Kingsbury. In Kliff's last season he threw for over 5000 yds with a 67% comp percent. He was drafted by the Patriots and never did anything in the NFL. After Kliff, Leach had a revolving door of QBs that put up a minimum of 4000 yds per season.
                      2012 to present Leach is HC at Wash St. Same story different school. Revolving door of QBs but still gettign the production.

After bouncing around the NFL, Euro Football League and CFL for a few years Kingsbury joined the UofH football staff in 2008.
                      2010-2011 Kliff was OC at UH. 1st year was rough as they had multiple QB injuries but even with 6 different QBs playing that season they managed a team total 4200 yds. 2011 starter Case Keenum threw for 5600 yds and 71% completion. He was later drafted by the Texans and has a grand total of 5200 career yds in 4 NFL seasons.
                      2012 Kliff was OC at Texas A&M. Starting QB Johnny Manziel had 3700 yds passing and 1400 yds rushing. After 1 season post Kliff Johnny was drafted by the Browns only to flame out within 2 seasons.
                      2013 to present Kliff is HC of Texas Tech. Same song, different school. His teams at TT have passed for over 4000 yds per season despite not having a full time starter until Mahomes was a sophomore.

Mahomes is a good college QB but there is a pattern here.

Comment

I don't think it's ever a good idea to take the player completely out of the equation and write them off simply because of the system they came from. I agree with your sentiments and the odds are stacked against these spread QBs, but I'd still like us to do our homework.

Comment

Originally posted by hasbeen View Post
                          Honestly, this just reinforces my certainty that we will have a starting RT on the roster prior to the draft. I can still see us waiting to release Clark or Newton after the draft, just in case, but we will have a starter on the roster within a week of FA start.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post
                            I don't think it's ever a good idea to take the player completely out of the equation and write them off simply because of the system they came from. I agree with your sentiments and the odds are stacked against these spread QBs, but I'd still like us to do our homework.
                            Personally, I do. Numbers and history don't lie. Let some other team make the mistake.

Osweiler did ok at Denver. Well enough that we gave him a huge FA contract. He has struggled for us because he can't grasp the system and the reads necessary to succeed. Osweiler spent his college years in a more balanced (run vs pass) version of Leach's system. Why draft a guy that history says won't be able to get the system? If you are taking a flyer on a guy in the 4th or later, sure why not. But anything earlier is just a waste of a pick.

Comment

Looking off DBs, buying time, being accurate, making all the throws, reading a D, selling plays, moving DBs. What else can you want in a QB? He is doing stuff some NFL starters can't already. If you watch a full scouting report it shows you everything. Good, bad and unimportant
                              He also makes about a thousand throws a season at or behind the line of scrimmage... The Texas tech system seems very latteral to me.. I'm gonna watch more tape later but it seems that way as of now. Also.. put 12 hrs of tape into Kizer. He seems to throw all the routes. Needs some polishing. As does every QB coming out of college.
                              sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

Working...
                              X