Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob McNair announces Texans will be drafting a QB

patrick @PatDStat
    ďWe are probably looking at a young quarterback heading into the draft.Ē Bob McNair on the #Texans quarterback situation.

In case there was any doubt, the owner has alerted everyone what we'll be looking for in this years draft.

I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

How else could we keep Savage on the bench? Makes perfect sense.
    Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
    TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post
      How else could we keep Savage on the bench? Makes perfect sense.
      I mean... how many other owners heavily involved in the process make public pronouncements like this that everybody knows are truthful...?

From last year...

I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
        patrick @PatDStat

In case there was any doubt, the owner has alerted everyone what we'll be looking for in this years draft.
        It wouldn't be such a big secret anyway - it's common knowledge Texans need a QB.
        For example, if they don't bring in a vet and let Weedon go, then it's a good chance they will take one in the draft.
        Even if they do know, what are they gonna do about it? Waste a draft pick and cut off their noses to spite their face?
        When you start crafting your draft choices around what another team might do, then you are not a good GM.
        1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

I mean... how many other owners heavily involved in the process make public pronouncements like this that everybody knows are truthful...?

From last year...

Note the last line of what OB said last year. As if anyone who ever doubted who ran the draft...Smith and McNair. OB can ask for whatever but if either say no...it won't happen.

But, QB...Mahomes at 25, steal of the draft in 2-3 years watch

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post
          It wouldn't be such a big secret anyway - it's common knowledge Texans need a QB.
          For example, if they don't bring in a vet and let Weedon go, then it's a good chance they will take one in the draft.
          Even if they do know, what are they gonna do about it? Waste a draft pick and cut off their noses to spite their face?
          When you start crafting your draft choices around what another team might do, then you are not a good GM.
          Really, to a degree it was/is. Because, McNair is admitting to being wrong about Brock by saying we will draft a QB. It depends on the context of why he said it. If he said it to slow down the amount of critics for his choice it could easily be just smoke. If he said it because he feels we need 3 QBs and Weeden won't be back, he isn't meaning future starter, he is talking mid to late round backup.
          ​​​
          Last edited by Matt_in_KW; 02-02-2017, 03:49 AM.
          JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Nathan Peterman please second round pick.
            Jerod Evans intrigues me as well with a late late round pick.
            Get them both, until one works well, keep trying.
            Last edited by Texans dice; 02-03-2017, 04:55 PM.
            1. G Bolles OT, 2. N Peterman QB, 3. J Myrick CB, 4. G Kittle TE, 4. J Conner RB, 5. T Thompson SS, 7. B Boulware LB

Comment

It's common knowledge Texans need a Safety, too, but that doesn't tell you what round they draft one. Texans have 3 QBs under contract. Not inconceivable they'd wait until 2018 class to choose from an expected much better pool of prospects.

If your owner who plays GM says you're drafting a QB... that's a first round proclamation. Not for any other position, but history is pretty strong on non first round QB success in the NFL... especially considering this weak class. McNair needs to keep his trap shut. Every time he speaks at this time of year he's revealing our plans. It's dumbassery. Unlike Jerruh, McNair has no guile.

All organizations chart/track every other team's needs and draft tendencies. They run mock drafts many many times before the actual draft. They all strategize based on what other teams might do.

Comment

It's common knowledge Texans need a Safety, too, but that doesn't tell you what round they draft one. Texans have 3 QBs under contract. Not inconceivable they'd wait until 2018 class to choose from an expected much better pool of prospects.

If your owner who plays GM says you're drafting a QB... that's a first round proclamation. Not for any other position, but history is pretty strong on non first round QB success in the NFL... especially considering this weak class. McNair needs to keep his trap shut. Every time he speaks at this time of year he's revealing our plans. It's dumbassery. Unlike Jerruh, McNair has no guile.

All organizations chart/track every other team's needs and draft tendencies. They run mock drafts many many times before the actual draft.They all strategize based on what other teams might do.
                I imagine this would include Texans. Smith has demonstrated a willingness to move up draft boards so they are not exactly sitting ducks - in fact, declaring an intention can work in your favour creating opportunities for deception.

1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

...declaring an intention can work in your favour creating opportunities for deception.
                  Rick is actually quite good at that (yes, he's good at some things)... but McNair is an open book.

Comment

I imagine this would include Texans. Smith has demonstrated a willingness to move up draft boards so they are not exactly sitting ducks - in fact, declaring an intention can work in your favour creating opportunities for deception.

Deception isn't a good trait of Smith, decent at best at it. What the issue is here is McNair said it, meaning unless the remarks were due to control the media situation. He all but told 31 teams what direction we are going into the draft with and probably a high pick (round 1 or 2) when you see how the question he replied to is worded. It isn't "will you draft a QB at some point" if that was the question his answer just indicated that we would. But not how early or late. However the context of the question is based on issues at QB and how can/will it be fixed. McNairs answers points to a QB early to try to fix an issue that started when Schaub was injured.

I would have never thought I would say I miss Schaub. But with what Brock is, I would take pick 6 Schaub over him any day. Schaub at least had a grasp on the system that was in place. Brock might have a grasp on Denvers system but not ours.

Former Texan and Bronco TE OD said during SB week:
                    "I was shocked by what I saw from him. In Denver he was calm and in control. It looked like a different person last season. Everyone in Denver loved Brock"
                    Many felt he was saying Brock was overwhelmed by the situation here and had too much on his plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

Deception isn't a good trait of Smith, decent at best at it. What the issue is here is McNair said it, meaning unless the remarks were due to control the media situation. He all but told 31 teams what direction we are going into the draft with and probably a high pick (round 1 or 2) when you see how the question he replied to is worded. It isn't "will you draft a QB at some point" if that was the question his answer just indicated that we would. But not how early or late. However the context of the question is based on issues at QB and how can/will it be fixed. McNairs answers points to a QB early to try to fix an issue that started when Schaub was injured.

I would have never thought I would say I miss Schaub. But with what Brock is, I would take pick 6 Schaub over him any day. Schaub at least had a grasp on the system that was in place. Brock might have a grasp on Denvers system but not ours.

Former Texan and Bronco TE OD said during SB week:
                      "I was shocked by what I saw from him. In Denver he was calm and in control. It looked like a different person last season. Everyone in Denver loved Brock"
                      Many felt he was saying Brock was overwhelmed by the situation here and had too much on his plate.
                      I would take good Schaub myself, but definitely not pick 6 Schaub. And Osweiler will be better next season with another offseason and preseason to learn some more of Bill's offense. He will also benefit from a stronger run game and oline. He also knows he has some mechanical issues and is a smart guy - smart guys get better.

Comment

Well it is time to have that of drafting a QB. As if Brock does not get it together, He will be a backup for life.
                        [COLOR="Purple"]July is Here!

Comment

NFL draft: Quarterback discussion
                          Eric Galko
                          Even for a perceived down class, quarterbacks continue to dominate discussions with sources and those within the football industry. Clemson's Deshaun Watson will be the enigma of the 2017 class, but a different quarterback could be the top overall pick ... and not to the Cleveland Browns.

Also in this NFL draft roundup, an update on the 49ers' quarterback situation for the future, who the Lions might take in Round 1, buzz on the top running backs in the class, a defensive lineman with substantial character concerns and much more.
                          With six junior quarterbacks having declared for the 2017 NFL Draft, the most ever, NFL teams won't be passing on the position altogether, but many may be more patient than in recent years.

Watson will be the primary storyline from a network programming standpoint. But I actually don't think NFL teams are as divisive as some have made it seem. Some in the NFL are huge fans of Watson on and off the field.

Most I've spoken with like the majority of his game, but they have questions as to whether he's worth a top 10 pick, and for now, I agree. He won't check the boxes character/leadership-wise in the same way Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott and Marcus Mariota have in recent years.

Watson will have his chance to win over a team at the Combine, but as of now, he isn't expected to do so. Film and mental development do most of the work for quarterbacks. But at the end of the day, a decision maker has to be willing to tie his name to a quarterback. That's what Watson needs to do in Indy.

While Watson is the bigger name and will be the media's focus, Patrick Mahomes of Texas Tech might be the true question mark for NFL teams.

Some I've spoken with are right in line with my evaluation, wondering if he is the top quarterback in this class and whether he should go in the top 15. Others laugh at the idea of a gunslinger who won five games in 2016 going top 20. Based on my reading at this point, he ranges from the sixth best passer for some teams to maybe No. 1 for others, way more variable than Watson.

To me, he's a less polished version of Matthew Stafford coming out of Georgia. I'd love to see him replace Jay Cutler in Chicago, but his most likely first-round spot for now is Arizona, with a host of teams interested if he falls to the second round.

North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky could go first overall, but at this point, I highly doubt he'll be a Cleveland Brown. The Bears may be a fit, especially considering Trubisky's experience in cold weather in high school. But the team to watch out for is the Buffalo Bills. If I had to predict one team to make a Goff/Wentz trade-up, it'd be the Bills this year. Cleveland will be all ears when it comes to trading down from No. 1 overall.

A team thatís fully on board with Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer is tough to find. Most like Watson, but itís a matter of how high. Every team Iíve spoken with has Tribusky as one of its top two quarterbacks. Mahomes has his fans, too.

But Kizer is the one I think could fall on draft day, based on what Iíve heard and the minimal excitement around him. Iím still a fan, as is Optimum Scoutingís Derrik Klassen, but Iím not as bullish on Kizer being a first-rounder as I was just a few weeks ago.

Two passers that have similar teams interested: Pittsburgh's Nathan Peterman, who had a fantastic Senior Bowl, and Miami's Brad Kaaya, who has the most college experience of any junior passer and any top-four round projected quarterback. The Saints and Chiefs, for example, could jostle for these two on Day 2.

As disappointing of a Senior Bowl week as Iowa quarterback C.J. Beathard had, I'd still put money on him being drafted. His grandfather is Bobby Beathard, an NFL GM in four different decades, most recently in 2000. You can count on at least a few phone calls being made to get him drafted. One to watch: Indianapolis. Jimmy Raye III, their current VP of Football Operations, got his first scouting job under Bobby Beathard in San Diego. The Colts' backup, Scott Tolzien, would cost the team just $250,000 to cut.

On average, 11 quarterbacks are drafted each year. If I had to guess which eleven are drafted this year, in order: Trubisky (first round), Mahomes (first), Watson (second), Kizer (second), Kaaya (second), Peterman (third), Virginia Tech's Jerod Evans (fourth), Calís Davis Webb (fourth), Tennesseeís Josh Dobbs (sixth), Central Michiganís Cooper Rush (sixth) and Beathard (seventh).

Comment

well Mahomes was my favorite when I started watching these qbs and continues to be so. sounds like now he will be out of our range.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post
                              well Mahomes was my favorite when I started watching these qbs and continues to be so. sounds like now he will be out of our range.
                              With a good combine and pro day Mahomes will go as the top QB. He has everything but footwork and many say don't change it because he gets it done his way and to alter it would alter his accuracy and multiple things he can do because of his talent. Others say fix it and he will be better than what you see now and that's a scary idea seeing him now he is great.

Mitch will be gone at 25, scratch that.

Watson is an INT machine in the NFL he also can't read a D

Kiezer will probably be gone by 25 too. He has footwork and some questionable machanics. But of the top guys he and Mahomes (Mahomes 1st) are the top 2.

Kaaya can't read a D and if pressure is coming he drops his eyes and watches the guys coming or tosses an off balance or weird release throw. He is a sack target and INT machine at the NFL level. And you can not fix the looking down issue seeing it appears to be fear of getting hit (he is maybe 200lbs in pads in the rain).

So, in a class of not many QBs, the 3 best will almost no question be gone by 25. Leaving a few maybe guys at best and the kid from VT has flashed good enough but is very raw.

Comment

Working...
                              X