Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahomes senses heightened interest from Texans' O'Brien

NFL.com
    It hasn't been easy for Patrick Mahomes to get a read on which teams like him the most, but Texans coach Bill O'Brien is one he has a strong feeling about. Mahomes was in Houston to meet with Texans officials Monday, and amid reports that O'Brien is a big fan of the former Texas Tech quarterback, Mahomes got a similar sense himself.

"I feel like a lot of coaches like me, but especially coach O'Brien. I think my personality and how real I am, those are things beyond what I can do on the field that he likes," Mahomes said. "It seemed like the way I was answering questions, I think he knew that I knew what was going on. You can tell when coaches have a confidence in you."

Four clubs scheduled him for both a pre-draft visit and a private workout: the Arizona Cardinals, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns and New York Jets. That, he believes, is sign of strong interest, as well.

"I felt like the visits with most of those clubs came after I had a good workout, and they invited me afterward. That tells me they saw something they liked and they want to know you a little better," Mahomes said.

With a whirlwind tour of club visits and an aggressive schedule of private workouts nearly complete -- Mahomes said got in front of NFL clubs 21 times, counting dinner meetings -- he now has an understanding of why teams were so interested.

"I think the reason they looked into me so hard is that I'm so different than other quarterbacks. I have my own unique way of playing, and it works. They wanted to see if I had the knowledge, background and drive to be a great quarterback in the NFL," he said.

It was exhausting and hectic, but the value he drew from so much face time with NFL coaches can't be measured.

"I got to talk with some of the great offensive minds in football. Bruce Arians, Byron Leftwich, Andy Reid, Ben McAdoo, Bill O'Brien, I met all those guys and tried to take something away from each of them," Mahomes said. "Hue Jackson, people that are known for developing quarterbacks, I got exposed to a lot of stuff I hadn't seen before. Even Jon Gruden, who I met doing the QB Camp show, I was able to pick his brain too."

Now, it's nearly time for an NFL team to do the picking, with the draft (April 27-29 in Philadelphia) just about a week away. And after seven long weeks since the NFL Scouting Combine, he's ready to get the call.
    I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

Comment

• Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
      So gun to head, I'm gonna say four QBs in first round. Which necessitates a lot of trades, imo.

NFL GM: Two QBs will be chosen among top nine picks

Chase Goodbread/College Football 24/7 writer
      The best-player-available draft strategy is the one general managers swear by, but they all need a quarterback they can swear by, as well. And according to one NFL general manager, two of the 2017 NFL Draft's top quarterbacks will come off the board very early in the first round.

"I had a general manager tell me that two quarterbacks will be taken before the Buffalo Bills pick at No. 10," said NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly. "Two quarterbacks in the top nine. That'd be a shocker."

It would, indeed. Particularly to NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock, who has classified the 2017 quarterback class as one that generally needs development before stepping into a starting role on Sundays. Casserly, the former Washington Redskins GM, recently polled 22 NFL clubs on the top quarterback in the draft, and most responses identified either Clemson's Deshaun Watson or North Carolina's Mitchell Trubisky.

So which NFL clubs might be a threat to take a quarterback off the board that early? The Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers and New York Jets are the clubs with the clearest need at the position, but the Browns hold the No. 1 pick and are widely expected to select Texas A&M DE Myles Garrett. The No. 2 pick would be an awfully rich investment by the 49ers, leaving the Jets as the most likely taker. The Chicago Bears and Jacksonville Jaguars don't quite know what they have in Mike Glennon and Blake Bortles, respectively; Glennon hasn't started a game since 2014, while Bortles regressed last season and is now under a new coaching staff. Beyond that, the Los Angeles Chargers could be in the market for an understudy to aging veteran Philip Rivers.

In other words, there aren't two obvious destinations for quarterbacks in the first nine selections, particularly given the questionable value. But finding a franchise quarterback is how NFL fortunes get turned around. And the market for them is never too cold.
      I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

Comment

• Makes Sense. But that doesn't mean the Texans have to draft a QB early though. js

Comment

• Originally posted by BayouBull View Post
          Makes Sense. But that doesn't mean the Texans have to draft a QB early though. js
          It means better players will be available at 1-25...
          https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

• Originally posted by Texans dice View Post
            Nathan Peterman please second round pick.
            Jerod Evans intrigues me as well with a late late round pick.
            Get them both, until one works well, keep trying.
            I second this! Good choice. He should be there in the second round, maybe third. He has a Derek Carr look about him. Since he is from Penn State, that will give B O'B an inside look from his former college where he was head coach. I watched him on Gruden and he is very sharp and focused. His size at 6-2 is not ideal but size is not the best predictor of talent. Ask Osweiler.
            Old dude

Mine's bigger than dbruder's

Comment

• Texans GM Rick Smith says no pressure to draft a QB in first round

Despite the local and national buzz about the Texans possibly selecting a quarterback in the first round, general manager Rick Smith said there is a chance they might not draft one at all.

And he said it with a straight face.

Sort of.

In his annual state-of-the-Texans predraft news conference, Smith admitted they would acquire a third quarterback behind Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden but didn't disclosed by what route - free agent, trade or undrafted free agent.

"I think it's a good quarterback class," Smith said. "I don't feel any pressure (to draft one). At some point, we're going to add a quarterback."

The Texans have the 25th overall pick.

There could be a fan revolt at NRG Stadium if Smith doesn't draft a quarterback in one of the first three rounds.

Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes and Mitchell Trubisky are the top three quarterback prospects. All could be gone by the time Smith makes his first pick, assuming he doesn't trade up.

The Texans have a desperate need at right tackle, but this is a down year for top prospects at that position.

"I'd characterize the offensive line as a little light," Smith said.

But Smith may still use his first-round pick on an offensive tackle. It depends on who's available when the Texans make their decision.

Smith reiterated what coach Bill O'Brien said earlier this month in that he has confidence in Savage, who has battled injuries in each of his first three seasons.

"He's proven he understands this offense and can play at a high level," Smith said. "He's been injured, so he hasn't had an extended amount of time to do that. I'm comfortable (with Savage)."

Like O'Brien, who has led the Texans to back-to-back AFC South titles, Smith knows the offense has to improve.

Last year, they signed running back Lamar Miller and guard Jeff Allen and drafted receivers Will Fuller and Braxton Miller as well as center Nick Martin and running back Tyler Ervin. The second-year players should be better this season.

Still, improvement has to start at quarterback. Savage is expected to follow Brock Osweiler, Brian Hoyer and Ryan Fitzpatrick as O'Brien's opening-day starter.

"One of the things that I'm excited about is that Tom's been here," Smith said. "He knows the players. I think another year in this system with all of those parts that we added last year and an additional year of experience in the offense. Understanding what the play call is designed to do, understanding what the options are in those particular calls.

"Then everyone seeing the play of the defense and the adjustments from the same set of eyes, I think that's important to our offensive philosophy and to our offensive execution. I think we'll be better because of that."

No matter how effective the Texans believe Savage can be, they still need to draft a quarterback. As many as six or seven could be chosen in the first two rounds.

Comment

• Need should nudge your choices, not throw common sense out the window. If Maholmes is available, but for some reason Myles Garrett is unexpectedly still on the board, who do you pick? Every pick is subject to whoever else is available and how they stack up against your needs.
                https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

• I thought I posted this in here already, and everybody lies to Tony for the most part but...

DA Draft Buzz April 18: QB not a lock for the Texans in Round 1? | Draft Analyst

General consensus has the Houston Texans taking a quarterback in the first round, yet this belief is not universal from all intimate with the situation.

Once the Houston Texans lost out on the services of Tony Romo, who announced his retirement several weeks ago, everyone automatically assumed the team would select a quarterback in the first round. And the name bandied about has been Patrick Mahomes of Texas Tech.

Yet there’s a faction of people I’ve spoken with who are close to the organization and believe the Texans won’t draft a quarterback in the first round for a variety of reasons.

Foremost is the belief that head coach Bill O’Brien, as well as the Texans front office, must win in 2017. The front office can’t risk using the 25th selection of the draft on a developmental quarterback -- the team must select a player who will offer production quickly this season.

They point to Houston drafting a left tackle or cornerback in the first round rather than a signal caller. Both are positions of need, and the players selected could have an immediate impact.

There’s also a feeling that Tom Savage will be seamless in his transition to being an every-week starter. He understands the system, has the pedigree and -- most importantly -- has the trust of O’Brien.

Could the Mahomes-to-Houston story be a smoke screen? If Mahomes is available when the Texans are called to the clock, will they pass up his long-term potential for short-term gains? Many feel the answer is yes to both questions.

Comment

• Top QB Wonderlic Scores

Leading the way...
                    Brad Kaaya with a 34
                    Nathan Peterman, 33
                    Trevor Knight, 30
                    Josh Dobbs, 29
                    DeShone Kizer, 28
                    C.J. Beathard, 26
                    Mitchell Trubisky, 25
                    Davis Webb, 25
                    Patrick Mahomes, 24
                    Chad Kelly, 22
                    Jerod Evans, 21
                    Deshaun Watson, 20.

First, Wonderlic has no correlation to success in pro football...

But having studied and done personality profiles on all of these guys I would never have guessed Brad Kaaya would be at the top. And 4 ahead of Dobbs?

Comment

• Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                      Top QB Wonderlic Scores

Leading the way...
                      Brad Kaaya with a 34
                      Nathan Peterman, 33
                      Trevor Knight, 30
                      Josh Dobbs, 29
                      DeShone Kizer, 28
                      C.J. Beathard, 26
                      Mitchell Trubisky, 25
                      Davis Webb, 25
                      Patrick Mahomes, 24
                      Chad Kelly, 22
                      Jerod Evans, 21
                      Deshaun Watson, 20.

First, Wonderlic has no correlation to success in pro football...

But having studied and done personality profiles on all of these guys I would never have guessed Brad Kaaya would be at the top. And 4 ahead of Dobbs?
                      5 ahead of Dobbs. 34-29 = 5.

I just read somewhere, can't remember where, that all the successful QBs have a score of 24 or higher. Just food for thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by djl3485 View Post

5 ahead of Dobbs. 34-29 = 5.

I just read somewhere, can't remember where, that all the successful QBs have a score of 24 or higher. Just food for thought.
                        Analytics statisticians have found no correlation.

Brett Favre 22 QB
                        Cam Newton 21 QB
                        Teddy Bridgewater 20 QB
                        Derek Carr 20 QB
                        Michael Vick 20 QB
                        Vinny Testaverde 17 QB
                        Terry Bradshaw 16 QB
                        Dan Marino 16 QB
                        Jim Kelly 15 QB
                        Steve McNair 15 QB
                        Terry Bradshaw 15 QB

Ryan Fitzpatrick 48 QB
                        Greg McElroy 48 QB
                        Jason Maas 43 QB
                        Blaine Gabbert 42 QB
                        Drew Henson 42 QB
                        Ryan Nassib 41 QB

Comment

• Well, well....

If Deshaun Watson is there in late 1, keep an eye on the #Texans. His visit was overwhelmingly positive for all. He loved it, team did, too.
                          Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 26, 2017

Comment

• when they say Team loved it....do they mean Rick Smith? McNair? O'Brien?? really curious...but if the trade up rumor is true...lets hope its for the QB that OB likes and thinks he can win with

Comment

• My .02 - Get some more athleticism in areas where draft is rich in talent. Secondary primarily, then tight end. And for QB my one pitch is for Josh Dobbs - throws great deep ball and will be able to make some plays with his feet. Is he this year's Dak? Possibly but Dak is more accurate short & intermediate with better poise though. Dobbs is smart with good arm so I don't see why these other guys are so much higher rated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprtsfanatic View Post
                                when they say Team loved it....do they mean Rick Smith? McNair? O'Brien?? really curious...
                                Majority of talk comes from agents and then some from the prospects. Rick used to talk a lot, telling some truths and some lies... but less this year as he's busier.

O'Brien doesn't talk to anybody about draft stuff. Period. Just like Belichick.

McNair talks way too much in too many situations, and he loves players from South Carolina area schools.

Originally posted by Sprtsfanatic View Post
                                ...but if the trade up rumor is true...lets hope its for the QB that OB likes and thinks he can win with
                                Being told Rick is "in charge" of this draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X