Preferred QB to Draft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred QB to Draft?

I'd just like to see everyone's consensus (if any) on which QB the Texans should draft (if any), regardless of round. As of 4/5/17, I'm not voting, cos I ain't got no clue anymore.

Listed alphabetically (not in Mayock or Kiper order)...
    B. Kaaya
    15.38%
    D. Kizer
    0%
    P. Mahomes
    23.08%
    M. Trubisky
    7.69%
    D. Watson
    7.69%
    D. Webb
    15.38%
    Other
    23.08%
    None
    7.69%
    N. Peterman
    0%

Only 2 look really interesting and maybe good down the road: Mahomes or Mitch. Webb is interesting but he might end up good, but seems full of himself a bit and lost a starting job and transfered. Kinda self centered?
    JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
      Only 2 look really interesting and maybe good down the road: Mahomes or Mitch. Webb is interesting but he might end up good, but seems full of himself a bit and lost a starting job and transfered. Kinda self centered?
      Tom Savage lost his starting job and transferred.
      sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

All the descriptions of Webb's weaknesses sound like Brock Osweiler to me. Passes sail, robotic decision making, inconsistent velocity. NFL.com even says his closest comparison is to Osweiler.

Does anyone think Watson or Trubisky will be around at pick #25?

Comment

Originally posted by tko54321 View Post
          All the descriptions of Webb's weaknesses sound like Brock Osweiler to me. Passes sail, robotic decision making, inconsistent velocity. NFL.com even says his closest comparison is to Osweiler.

I would NOT pick Watson until the 3\4th round. I like him, he is a leader and has no off field issues. I even wanted us to get him if we could...till I watched film.

He has decent arm strength, but his passes over 20yrds are a scary INT zone. I watched 1 game in particular that he tossed1 INT that was on him, he just didn't see the DB. However, he almost threw 3 others but Williams bailed him out with an amazing catch over the DB (who in the NFL picks it) and 1 another WR batted down before the DB had it. The final one was Williams again with a circus catch over a LB and Williams dove for it. Had he not seen it a DB was within 3yrds max of the play (and the ball floated badly) in the NFL (and this team in particular only DHop could save the pick) that DB is not 3yrds away...more like 1. He also isn't as tall as he was listed in the programs, he is I think 6' 1 & change. Not awful, but doesn't help his field vision. Reading a D is a big issue, it can be taught but I saw 2 reports say he is VY 2.0 and is a backup of at best middle pack starter.

So, I would not risk it with a high pick to have 50% or less of a shot he developed in 1-2 years when you need a QB now. If he can't adjust as some say...you blew it and your job.

​​​​​​Mitch I have seen mocked to us a lot lately. Not sure why or how he lasts to 25, yet multiple mocks show it. I watched film on him also and he could start year 1, but really needs a year to learn the system and the game more. Remember he was not a multiple year starter. He has all the tools, just need polished (unless he is Ryan Leaf v2). I like Mahomes most, yes he makes mistakes that leave you asking "why the _____ did he do that". However, he has all the tools and is compared to Farve and Rogers a lot. He can read a D, bait DBs, make reads, arm is great and accurate. The footwork needs tuned, but many have said he is looking better every time they see him. He needs to take a sack or throw it away over some of his Farve-like scrambles that end up lost yardage. You give him 1 season to learn, like Mitch, and he has the skills to lead a team for years. Just need to have a staff who won't try to alter too much of his play and what they do, do it slowly. That way you see when to say "OK he has it, footwork is better but what he did in school is still there...just not the mistakes". I think OB can do that with him. Kizer has tons of talent, but can he put it together is the big question I see a lot.
          JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

There's a possibility.. but highly unlikely. If there is a run on offensive linemen, the QBs will drop a bit. If there's a run on QBs, some linemen will drop down to us.

Honestly.. my favorite QB in this draft is Nate Peterman. I think he has the personality and composure, and given the fact that he's smart with the ball and doesn't have the biggest arm, he may drop to the 3rd or 4th. He plays the kind of ball that Alex Smith does in Kansas City. A lot of short and intermediate with good ball placement and timing. But he's not gonna throw a 40 yard bomb. The reason he is my favorite, is because he can develop even further, but he isn't as high profile as the first round guys so he could come at a good value later in the draft.
            sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

Maybe I should have put Nathan Peterman from Pitt on the poll. He's rated just behind Watson now.

Comment

I would only draft trubisky, the rest is uninterestig. Maybe peterman late rounds...

Comment

I'd prefer to use our top picks to shore up the OL and Secondary and pick up Kaaya in the later rounds.

Comment

I have a hunch the Bills will take Mahomes at #10, because he reminds them of Jim Kelly and want to re-excite fans. Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by BlinkIT View Post
                      I would only draft trubisky, the rest is uninterestig. Maybe peterman late rounds...
                      Yeah, I agree, maybe Peterman later. Despite all the talk of the defense being Super Bowl caliber and the roster being a "win now" roster with only a QB missing, I think they ought to think in terms of building, not plugging in, by drafting offensive line then linebacker. We manufactured a pass rush at times last year with great coaching, so we need Watt and Clowney both. But one or maybe both could get hurt at any time, so I'd like to see another defensive lineman drafted in the 1st 4 rounds. TJ Watt and other LBs can do a lot.

Comment

I'm good with either OLB, TJ Watt or Bowser but I'd also be fine with Bolles, Ramczyk or Robinson to be a plug-n-play RT. Robinson and Bowser could easily slide past #25 if the Texans are willing to gamble by trading back to late RD1 or within top 5 picks in RD2 while obtaining the same top 5 pick in RD4. This would give the Texans 3 - RD2 and 3 - RD4 picks plus 1 each in RD3, RD5 and RD7.

I'd still test the waters on a Hopkins trade and if the offer is solid enough (say a RD2, RD4 and a 2018 RD3) then I would make the move only b/c some of the teams areas of need have strong talent available in the draft at those positions. Also, Hopkins new contract money keeps the teams cap space healthy going into 2018. The team may need that space to sign a FA QB, OL, DL or ILB. In all reality, Hopkins is not the glue that keeps this offense together and if he has to play this season on his rookie contract, he's liable to be the acetone that dissolves the little amount of glue that is holding this offense together.

I've got a strong feeling that the Texans could go to the well one more time with the Browns in either scenario. If they trade picks it gives them 3 picks in RD1 and 5 years of control on those players. That could be worth a RD2-1 and RD4-1. Or, they could have a lot of interest in Hopkins who could be paired with Josh Gordon to give them possession and speed at the veteran level....not to mention, the Browns have the cap space to make Hopkins happy financially.

Trade Pick:
                        RD2-01
                        RD2-25
                        RD3-25
                        RD4-01
                        RD4-25
                        RD4-36
                        RD5-25
                        RD7-25

or

Trade Hopkins:
                        RD1-25
                        RD2-01
                        RD2-25
                        RD3-25
                        RD4-20
                        RD4-25
                        RD4-36
                        RD5-25
                        RD7-25

This move could land 2 of the following:
                        Bolles, Robinson, Ramczyk, Bowser or Watt. That would be a huge start to the draft knowing they still have 7 picks on the board and 6 of them are between RD2 and RD5.

Comment

Yes.
                          https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

I would NOT pick Watson until the 3\4th round. I like him, he is a leader and has no off field issues. I even wanted us to get him if we could...till I watched film.

He has decent arm strength, but his passes over 20yrds are a scary INT zone. I watched 1 game in particular that he tossed1 INT that was on him, he just didn't see the DB. However, he almost threw 3 others but Williams bailed him out with an amazing catch over the DB (who in the NFL picks it) and 1 another WR batted down before the DB had it. The final one was Williams again with a circus catch over a LB and Williams dove for it. Had he not seen it a DB was within 3yrds max of the play (and the ball floated badly) in the NFL (and this team in particular only DHop could save the pick) that DB is not 3yrds away...more like 1. He also isn't as tall as he was listed in the programs, he is I think 6' 1 & change. Not awful, but doesn't help his field vision. Reading a D is a big issue, it can be taught but I saw 2 reports say he is VY 2.0 and is a backup of at best middle pack starter.

So, I would not risk it with a high pick to have 50% or less of a shot he developed in 1-2 years when you need a QB now. If he can't adjust as some say...you blew it and your job.

​​​​​​Mitch I have seen mocked to us a lot lately. Not sure why or how he lasts to 25, yet multiple mocks show it. I watched film on him also and he could start year 1, but really needs a year to learn the system and the game more. Remember he was not a multiple year starter. He has all the tools, just need polished (unless he is Ryan Leaf v2). I like Mahomes most, yes he makes mistakes that leave you asking "why the _____ did he do that". However, he has all the tools and is compared to Farve and Rogers a lot. He can read a D, bait DBs, make reads, arm is great and accurate. The footwork needs tuned, but many have said he is looking better every time they see him. He needs to take a sack or throw it away over some of his Farve-like scrambles that end up lost yardage. You give him 1 season to learn, like Mitch, and he has the skills to lead a team for years. Just need to have a staff who won't try to alter too much of his play and what they do, do it slowly. That way you see when to say "OK he has it, footwork is better but what he did in school is still there...just not the mistakes". I think OB can do that with him. Kizer has tons of talent, but can he put it together is the big question I see a lot.
                            Dude, I'm sorry but I have to ask. How many games did you actually watch? Deshaun Watshon's football IQ is very high. Reading defenses and going through his progression is one of the things he does well. Here's some clips from last year. http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/te...cessing-speed/

According to Mike Mayock. http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morni...-are-brightest

Deshaun Watson played his senior year with a degree because he finished his education in 3 years.

According to Jon Gruden http://www.espn.com/videohub/video/clip/_/id/18985012

I've heard Mike Mayock talk about his mechanics, his footwork is what he will have to work on early in his career in order to be successful. Not taking him until the 3rd or 4th round is just insane. If he is there at 25 the whole world would say how stupid the Texans are for not taking him and not just because we are in dire need of a QB.

Comment

I don't want a project when it comes to accuracy. If its a mechanic flaw it can be fixed but HONESTLY you really can NOT teach accuracy. Give me a smart and accurate QB to build around. I do not know what that is in this draft but I am getting to the point that I am NOT seeing anyone in this draft worth a 1st round pick. I am starting to think maybe we fix the line and get another RB so we can pound the rock down everyone's throat and play good team defense. Make sure our K and P are ready and healthy. There is NOT a QB that is better than what we have that will be ready to play this season or NEXT and OB is coaching for his job so this would be the smart decision for him. Trade down round 1 aquire more picks in this draft and fill holes and next draft get our extra picks for losing so much talent to trade up and GRAB a QB next year. Doing it like this is NOT giving up on the season but it does make us play hard nose football. Control the clock play defense

Comment

Working...
                              X