Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texans will draft a QB and a RT, but when?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barzilla View Post
    We have been saying we will pick one next year for four years now. It's time to fish or cut bait.
    I can agree with this post but this isn't the draft to go big game fishing in, the team could wind up telling the big fish story for the next 5 years. Like the weak QB Class of 2007...this group is being far over-sold due to the weak class and lack of excitement. For 2017, I'll take a veteran QB3 on the cheap and an UDFA for a camp arm that could be stashed on the PS for a less burdened season of development.

Like I said, if Savage and Weeden somehow get this team to a 9-10 win season, repeat winners of the AFC South and a spot in the playoffs while not really being part of the reason for this success...then it means the other facets of the team put together a fairly amazing season with another strong showing from the defense and an improved running game. Now the Texans are really a QB away.

2018, the Texans should have a boat load of cap space and at minimum 10 picks in the draft. Texans could shop for their QB in FA or be in a position to move up in the draft to take a top prospect. This team should finally be a position to succeed under either scenario.

I'm just going to do my prediction a little early and say, Tom Savage will have a healthy and very encouraging 2017 season. Team will rally around him and Obie will be justified in his development of Savage. If this is the case, I'm still wanting a QB in 2018 but maybe it doesn't require unloading picks or cap space to acquire one. Now that would be a nice position to be in.
    Last edited by Optimistic; 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post

I can agree with this post but this isn't the draft to go big game fishing in, the team could wind up telling the big fish story for the next 5 years. Like the weak QB Class of 2007...this group is being far over-sold due to the weak class and lack of excitement. For 2017, I'll take a veteran QB3 on the cheap and an UDFA for a camp arm that could be stashed on the PS for a less burdened season of development.

Like I said, if Savage and Weeden somehow get this team to a 9-10 win season, repeat winners of the AFC South and a spot in the playoffs while not really being part of the reason for this success...then it means the other facets of the team put together a fairly amazing season with another strong showing from the defense and an improved running game. Now the Texans are really a QB away.

2018, the Texans should have a boat load of cap space and at minimum 10 picks in the draft. Texans could shop for their QB in FA or be in a position to move up in the draft to take a top prospect. This team should finally be a position to succeed under either scenario.

I'm just going to do my prediction a little early and say, Tom Savage will have a healthy and very encouraging 2017 season. Team will rally around him and Obie will be justified in his development of Savage. If this is the case, I'm still wanting a QB in 2018 but maybe it doesn't require unloading picks or cap space to acquire one. Now that would be a nice position to be in.
      why would taking a qb early this year prevent us from taking one next year? we've already show we will cut bait after one year with Osweiler. sure this might not be the best year to take a qb, but with the hole they have put themselves in they have to draft one early. we have no QB on roster for the 2018 season.

you say if TS or BW can lead us to 9 or 10 wins and win the afc south again then we know the pieces we have in place are truly amazing. well guess what we already know that we have done it 2 years in a row with freaking Brian hoyer, and Brock osweiler and almost a third with fitzmagic. you are willing to waist another year of a could be great team just because right now 2018s class looks better. go back to 2016 and see what people were saying about this class of QB's. Watson fresh off the best national championship performance in a lose to the nation's best defense, Brad Kaaya was this kid groomed to be a qb from birth and was bringing the hurricanes back to where they use to be, Kizer was your ideal qb and was balling out at ND. then you have QB's who everyone thought would come out decide to stay, ala Mayfield. some of their play drops off sometimes due to coaching change, Kaaya, or just a sophomore slump Kizer. This happens every freaking year and I for one am tired of the cycle.
      sigpic

Comment

Quote from Tom Pelissero:

"File this away: One NFL coach who has done homework on all the top QBs told me word is Bill O'Brien "absolutely loves" Patrick Mahomes. "

Comment

Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
          Quote from Tom Pelissero:

"File this away: One NFL coach who has done homework on all the top QBs told me word is Bill O'Brien "absolutely loves" Patrick Mahomes. "
          Because Billy is advertising which QB he prefers to other team's coaches?

It's lying season.
          I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

Comment

I understand this sentiment and it would make sense if we found ourselves on this predicament all of the sudden. However, you could argue we've been here since 2012. Passing on opportunities because a better one will come along is a lot like passing on Sally for the prom because the homecoming queen was civil to you in home room. You'll end up with Bertha if you don't watch out.
            Last edited by Barzilla; 1 week ago. Reason: atrocious grammar
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Barzilla View Post

I understand this sentiment and it would make sense if we found ourselves on this predicament all of the sudden. However, you could argue we've been here since 2012. Passing on opportunities because a better one will come along is a lot like passing on Sally for the prom because the homecoming queen was civil to you in home room. You'll end up with Bertha if you don't watch out.
              I think we've been in this situation for the past 3 years b/c Obie got his rookie QB to develop in Savage. I think Savage was the backup plan in 2013 if the other QB options were off the table. I think Garoppolo was the primary target and Beli just jumped the Texans and drafted him before they could. That being said, I believe Obie has invested heavily into the development of Savage and is now ready to turn him loose. I don't think Obie wanted to be distracted with another developmental project and that's why we have seen the parade of veteran QB's brought in to bridge the gap...but, RS and McNair got other ideas last season when they jumped the gun and signed Osweiler.

If Obie was going to ditch Savage and bring in another QB, the only one that would make any sense would be Jimmy Garoppolo. There isn't one QB available in this years draft that would rate anywhere near what JG would in regards to value. A writer on espn.com wrote an article regarding the best possible trade every team could make in the 2017 Draft. Texans would give up their 2017 RD1-25 and 2018 RD1 for Garoppolo and Patriots RD4-25-131 pick. There have been some post on other sites that mentioned the Texans could trade up in this draft to get a QB by including their 2018 RD1. If I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul, it wouldn't be for any of these QB's...but if I had to do it, I'd be all in for Garoppolo since he would require the least amount of time to get up to speed.

This type of trade would signal the end of Savage's development and usher in the Garoppolo era. Weeden remains QB2 and the Texans sign an inexpensive veteran to be QB3. You're not drafting a Garoppoo replacement in 2017...the team must focus on improving the offense so Garoppolo's chances (Like Savage's) would be greatly enhanced. That leaves Savage as the odd man out and therefore the Texans can entertain offers that hopefully allow them to recoup their RD4 investment. The 49's could be a good fit since I think Savage has the tools to prosper in Shanahan's offense but in all reality, Savage could land with several teams if the cost is a RD4 pick since the draft would not possess a better option that late in the draft.

Comment

I think we've been in this situation for the past 3 years b/c Obie got his rookie QB to develop in Savage. I think Savage was the backup plan in 2013 if the other QB options were off the table. I think Garoppolo was the primary target and Beli just jumped the Texans and drafted him before they could. That being said, I believe Obie has invested heavily into the development of Savage and is now ready to turn him loose. I don't think Obie wanted to be distracted with another developmental project and that's why we have seen the parade of veteran QB's brought in to bridge the gap...but, RS and McNair got other ideas last season when they jumped the gun and signed Osweiler.

If Obie was going to ditch Savage and bring in another QB, the only one that would make any sense would be Jimmy Garoppolo. There isn't one QB available in this years draft that would rate anywhere near what JG would in regards to value. A writer on espn.com wrote an article regarding the best possible trade every team could make in the 2017 Draft. Texans would give up their 2017 RD1-25 and 2018 RD1 for Garoppolo and Patriots RD4-25-131 pick. There have been some post on other sites that mentioned the Texans could trade up in this draft to get a QB by including their 2018 RD1. If I'm robbing Peter to pay Paul, it wouldn't be for any of these QB's...but if I had to do it, I'd be all in for Garoppolo since he would require the least amount of time to get up to speed.

This type of trade would signal the end of Savage's development and usher in the Garoppolo era. Weeden remains QB2 and the Texans sign an inexpensive veteran to be QB3. You're not drafting a Garoppoo replacement in 2017...the team must focus on improving the offense so Garoppolo's chances (Like Savage's) would be greatly enhanced. That leaves Savage as the odd man out and therefore the Texans can entertain offers that hopefully allow them to recoup their RD4 investment. The 49's could be a good fit since I think Savage has the tools to prosper in Shanahan's offense but in all reality, Savage could land with several teams if the cost is a RD4 pick since the draft would not possess a better option that late in the draft.
                Interestingly, Savage said he hasn't gotten any first team reps.
                This seems odd since he was named starter a couple times last season.
                Not sure what he meant there.
                1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post

Interestingly, Savage said he hasn't gotten any first team reps.
                  This seems odd since he was named starter a couple times last season.
                  Not sure what he meant there.
                  I believe he meant in camp he hasn't got any first team reps
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post

That would make sense. Hope he runs all the way to the bank with this opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post

Ah, thnx. Could make a difference for the guy. He sounds really keen to make it work and why not - this is his big chance for a big check. Bill finally gets a chance to give his pick a real shot.
                      1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post
                        Ah, thnx. Could make a difference for the guy. He sounds really keen to make it work and why not - this is his big chance for a big check. Bill finally gets a chance to give his pick a real shot.
                        Agreed, but I hope O'Brien's fate here isn't decided on the play of a supplemental 4th round draft pick. At least give him a shot with a QB we invested more than the 135th pick in. How about a first round QB in 2017 or, better yet, 2018?
                        I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

Agreed, but I hope O'Brien's fate here isn't decided on the play of a supplemental 4th round draft pick. At least give him a shot with a QB we invested more than the 135th pick in. How about a first round QB in 2017 or, better yet, 2018?
                          I sure hope so...he's changed the dynamic and the grit of this team...we are no longer a soft highly penalized team...we play meaner, tougher, and more disciplined...now if we could only invest in a QB OBRIEN WANTS and shore up the right side of the Oline...id love to see where he would take this team

Comment

Just randomly occurred to me, with the Texans drafting Fuller and Martin last year, (both from Notre Dame) is it crazy to think Kizer might be the pick at #25? (Also assuming we miss out on Mahomes, Watson, Bolles, Lamp, Robinson)

Comment

Originally posted by Sprtsfanatic View Post

I sure hope so...he's changed the dynamic and the grit of this team...we are no longer a soft highly penalized team...we play meaner, tougher, and more disciplined...now if we could only invest in a QB OBRIEN WANTS and shore up the right side of the Oline...id love to see where he would take this team
                              Agree. Just shoring up the right will make a difference in the run game for a start. Would still like to see a better option at RB #2 though - Miller cannot do it all.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
                                Just randomly occurred to me, with the Texans drafting Fuller and Martin last year, (both from Notre Dame) is it crazy to think Kizer might be the pick at #25?
                                From what I've heard, Brian Kelly has poisoned Kizer for the Texans and a number of other teams.

I'm not good enough at evaluating QBs or informed enough on Notre Dame football to explain why, but I think I'd do my own work on him. I know there were some extenuating circumstances to explain some of what went on, and Kelly can be a real son-of-a-gun. It may be Kizer needs a more Hue Jackson type coach than a tough coach...?

I'd surely want to get face-to-face with him and see what I could learn. I thought he did pretty good on Gruden's QB Camp, but that can be highly edited.

Comment

Working...
                                X