Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texans will draft a QB and a RT, but when?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

From what I've heard, Brian Kelly has poisoned Kizer for the Texans and a number of other teams.

I'm not good enough at evaluating QBs or informed enough on Notre Dame football to explain why, but I think I'd do my own work on him. I know there were some extenuating circumstances to explain some of what went on, and Kelly can be a real son-of-a-gun. It may be Kizer needs a more Hue Jackson type coach than a tough coach...?

I'd surely want to get face-to-face with him and see what I could learn. I thought he did pretty good on Gruden's QB Camp, but that can be highly edited.
    Has there been any word or indication on if/who O'Brien likes as QB??

If Ihad to pick a qb in this draft it would be Kizer or Mahomes...but honestly I dont think either one is a 1st round draft pick...Id go with Cam Rob. Ryan Ram, Garrett Bol, or even TJ Watt in the first round see who is left at qb in round 2 or wait to draft a qb next year since this group isnt the greatest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprtsfanatic View Post
      Has there been any word or indication on if/who O'Brien likes as QB??
      Nothing I have been able to get a second source on.

There's been a concerted effort to keep it on the down low, in contrast to the past.

Frankly I'd be ecstatic if they drafted someone like Kaaya in a lower round, holding out for those 2018 QBs. But that only works for me if O'Brien stays, and I have no confidence in that. It seems to be that the setup it for a sub 9-7 season and losing our QB guru before we ever invest in a QB.
      Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

I dont think McNair works that way...as much as Rick Smith would love to give him the boot...Im pretty sure that both Bob and Cal see the drastic improvement in the team...and thats with CRAP QB PLAY for his entire contract thus far...I just pray they let him choose one of his liking...and if he hangs himself w/ that pick then so be it...

Comment

Nothing I have been able to get a second source on.

There's been a concerted effort to keep it on the down low, in contrast to the past.

Frankly I'd be ecstatic if they drafted someone like Kaaya in a lower round, holding out for those 2018 QBs. But that only works for me if O'Brien stays, and I have no confidence in that. It seems to be that the setup it for a sub 9-7 season and losing our QB guru before we ever invest in a QB.
          Kaaya?? really?? Thats the one qb I pray they stay away from...I dont like his pocket presence, his happy feet, his dropping eyes, nor his arm...maybe I dont know how to evaluate a qb, but I dont like Kaaya at all....when he first came on at Miami I thought he could be good in a few years...but I havent seen any progress or development...not any positive anyway....but thats just my opinion...Id rather a Peterman late but would prefer to wait till next year if we dont get one early this draft.

Comment

Kaaya looks scared even to give an interview he might be groomed to be a QB but he is still NOT confident in his work. Just seems like he is in a situation that is too big for him. Webb seems to be trying to convince us that he is someone better than what he is. He is been well coached as to what to say kinda like Brock. Mahomes does look like he is confident in his work as does Watson, Trubisky. Kizer I do NOT trust at all something about him seems very childish and that's not someone that can lead this team. I might be looking to hard into things but Trubisky,Mahomes,Watson are the only ones I have any sort of confidence in.

Comment

Kaaya?? really??

Id rather a Peterman late but would prefer to wait till next year if we dont get one early this draft.
              Well, owner said we're drafting a QB.

Peterman will go in the 2nd, I was looking at someone cheaper.

Agree on waiting until 2018, but not at the expense of losing O'Brien.

Originally posted by canyon1 View Post
              Kaaya looks scared even to give an interview he might be groomed to be a QB but he is still NOT confident in his work...
              I agree his interview is poor. Just trying to find a cheap backup caliber possibility.

Kaaya did have to learn 3 different systems in 3 years, and they had a bad OL that didn't have enough guys to fill out a scout team.

Plus, there's analytics in his corner: http://boards.houstontexans.com/foru...01#post1239801

Dobbs is fine by me, too, if he passes the O'Brien test. Just someone cheaper.
              Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by canyon1 View Post
                Kaaya looks scared even to give an interview he might be groomed to be a QB but he is still NOT confident in his work. Just seems like he is in a situation that is too big for him. Webb seems to be trying to convince us that he is someone better than what he is. He is been well coached as to what to say kinda like Brock. Mahomes does look like he is confident in his work as does Watson, Trubisky. Kizer I do NOT trust at all something about him seems very childish and that's not someone that can lead this team. I might be looking to hard into things but Trubisky,Mahomes,Watson are the only ones I have any sort of confidence in.
                My confidence in Savage and Weeden grows every time I think about QBs in this draft.
                https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post

My confidence in Savage and Weeden grows every time I think about QBs in this draft.
                  I think Savage and Weeden can get a 9+ win season.

I get worried if I see Watson or Kaaya mentioned together with the number 25 pick. Watson is very inaccurate and he is the prototype of boom or bust. I don't invest 25 in a 50-50 guy who can't read a D, has had a WR bail him out of a number of INTs (and he already was on the high side) in Williams. With Kaaya, no velocity (H2O4ME pointed out that he was lowest at the combine), can't read a D, scared of the rush and looks at the bodies near him under pressure and sometimes still throws the ball that way. In all honesty he looks like David Carr after he was hit 100+ times. Deer in the headlights that you really can't teach him to not be afraid. Otherwise Carr might have been ok after the OL got decent.
                  JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

I think Savage and Weeden can get a 9+ win season.

I get worried if I see Watson or Kaaya mentioned together with the number 25 pick. Watson is very inaccurate and he is the prototype of boom or bust. I don't invest 25 in a 50-50 guy who can't read a D, has had a WR bail him out of a number of INTs (and he already was on the high side) in Williams. With Kaaya, no velocity (H2O4ME pointed out that he was lowest at the combine), can't read a D, scared of the rush and looks at the bodies near him under pressure and sometimes still throws the ball that way. In all honesty he looks like David Carr after he was hit 100+ times. Deer in the headlights that you really can't teach him to not be afraid. Otherwise Carr might have been ok after the OL got decent.
                    I'll say it again...I don't think any QB in this draft is worth a 1st round pick. Mahomes has the most potential of all of the QBs in this draft, but he is the ultimate Boom Or Bust QB. Watson, and to a lesser extent, Kizer are also boom or bust players. Trubisky is probably the closest to being ready to play, but he doesn't have a very high ceiling. After that, I don't see a big difference in the rest. Webb would probably be next on the list, and if he can be had in the 4th, great. Peterman, I see late 4th / early 5th. I actually think Beathard and Russell will be better than Peterman, and Beathard will probably fall to the 5th or 6th, and because of his injury, Russell will most likely fall to the 6th or go undrafted. With all of that said, I'd rather go with best player at other needed positions, and take Beathard or Russell late or as UDFA.

Comment

I dont think McNair works that way...as much as Rick Smith would love to give him the boot...Im pretty sure that both Bob and Cal see the drastic improvement in the team...and thats with CRAP QB PLAY for his entire contract thus far...I just pray they let him choose one of his liking...and if he hangs himself w/ that pick then so be it...
                      You might want to include horrible OL play, spotty to uninspired running game, TE play that handcuffs the position and receivers who cannot truly be utilized due to the lack of pocket time for the QB. For the past 3 years our QB's have stared down Hopkins way too much and just heaved it in his direction regardless of the coverage which led to quick 3-n-outs or turnovers. Last season Hopkins dealt with double / triple coverage and was still targeted far too much under duress situations.

Without adding or deleting a single WR, they could be a scary good offensive weapon with an improved OL and a QB who can actually go through progressions and utilize all his receivers. Something tells me an improved running game could make this passing game pretty lethal.
                      Last edited by Optimistic; 04-19-2017, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Well, owner said we're drafting a QB.

Peterman will go in the 2nd, I was looking at someone cheaper.

Agree on waiting until 2018, but not at the expense of losing O'Brien.

I agree his interview is poor. Just trying to find a cheap backup caliber possibility.

Kaaya did have to learn 3 different systems in 3 years, and they had a bad OL that didn't have enough guys to fill out a scout team.

Plus, there's analytics in his corner: http://boards.houstontexans.com/foru...01#post1239801

Dobbs is fine by me, too, if he passes the O'Brien test. Just someone cheaper.
                        If Obie's Texan career is on the line for not running with a 2017 RD1 QB, then Obie should be happy to get out of town and join an organization with a competent Owner and FO.

If Obie is coaching for his job this season...then folks would have to be crazy to think he would attach his fate to any of these rookie QB's. Obie's fate will be in the hands of his ability to call his offense and utilize the entire playbook. That only leaves Savage and Weeden.

If getting a "Franchise QB" is of the upmost concern to McNair and RS....then they need to grow a pair and trade for Garoppolo. It's going to cost this years RD1-25, 2018 RD1 and they'd probably have to throw Savage on the pile just so Beli has a veteran backup with some system knowledge. Same goes for the Texans, why play the higher risk card in drafting a QB from this class, especially if the team has to cough up additional picks to possibly move up to obtain one of these over-hyped guys. Getting Garoppolo gives Obie his next best chance at immediate success this season since getting JG up to speed with both his playbook and NFL defenses would happen during the Pre-Season.

If the team isn't trading up to get one these over-hyped QB's in RD1, then they'd be extremely foolish to waste a pick on a QB after RD1 in this years draft since said prospect might actually be in a position to compete 3 years down the road, if at all. The Texans could sign an UDFA and spend just about the same amount of time developing him to see if they've hit the jackpot.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post

If Obie's Texan career is on the line for not running with a 2017 RD1 QB, then Obie should be happy to get out of town and join an organization with a competent Owner and FO.

If Obie is coaching for his job this season...then folks would have to be crazy to think he would attach his fate to any of these rookie QB's. Obie's fate will be in the hands of his ability to call his offense and utilize the entire playbook. That only leaves Savage and Weeden.

If getting a "Franchise QB" is of the upmost concern to McNair and RS....then they need to grow a pair and trade for Garoppolo. It's going to cost this years RD1-25, 2018 RD1 and they'd probably have to throw Savage on the pile just so Beli has a veteran backup with some system knowledge. Same goes for the Texans, why play the higher risk card in drafting a QB from this class, especially if the team has to cough up additional picks to possibly move up to obtain one of these over-hyped guys. Getting Garoppolo gives Obie his next best chance at immediate success this season since getting JG up to speed with both his playbook and NFL defenses would happen during the Pre-Season.

If the team isn't trading up to get one these over-hyped QB's in RD1, then they'd be extremely foolish to waste a pick on a QB after RD1 in this years draft since said prospect might actually be in a position to compete 3 years down the road, if at all. The Texans could sign an UDFA and spend just about the same amount of time developing him to see if they've hit the jackpot.
                          I think McNair would be wise to extend BO'Bs contract before training camp just to squash rumors of a rift. The owner is ALWAYS the ultimate decision maker, even if he decides to stay away from football operations entirely. But McNair appears to be a Jerry Jones Clone and stays involved.
                          https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post

why trade for a back up qb with less experience than Osweiler? sure he looked good in his 2 games starting, but he is playing with one of the most complete rosters in the nfl, with a goat as HC, and in a system that made Matt Cassel a 10 or 11 win qb and had Jacoby Brissett a 3rd stringer look pretty good against the leagues #1 defense.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post

why trade for a back up qb with less experience than Osweiler? sure he looked good in his 2 games starting, but he is playing with one of the most complete rosters in the nfl, with a goat as HC, and in a system that made Matt Cassel a 10 or 11 win qb and had Jacoby Brissett a 3rd stringer look pretty good against the leagues #1 defense.
                              Agree with that point. And, may I add...as part of that point, why would the Texans draft an over-hyped QB at 25 when getting a RT serves an immediate need? The QB's available after 25 are going to be high risk developmental guys. For me...I'm rolling strong with the Savage / Weeden tandem and getting them as much help as possible in this draft to be successful. Drafting what's left after Trubisky....maybe Watson and Mahomes will be long term wait and see QB's. Unfortunately, Obie and Savage don't have wait and see stamped on their contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post

I think McNair would be wise to extend BO'Bs contract before training camp just to squash rumors of a rift. The owner is ALWAYS the ultimate decision maker, even if he decides to stay away from football operations entirely. But McNair appears to be a Jerry Jones Clone and stays involved.
                                I have said that many times now. McNair is similar to Jerry Jones but he uses Smith as his mouth most of the time to avoid fans trashing him. Jones says what he wants and doesn't care what fans think about it because it is his team
                                JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Working...
                                X