Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texans will draft a QB and a RT, but when?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

I have said that many times now. McNair is similar to Jerry Jones but he uses Smith as his mouth most of the time to avoid fans trashing him. Jones says what he wants and doesn't care what fans think about it because it is his team
    I have no problem with that if it works.
    https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post

I have no problem with that if it works.
      So far it works like this:

Rick (picture a puppy jumping up and down waiting for you to throw a ball...works amazing)-

We have to draft this _____ he is amazing! Watch this power point I made!

McNair- Ok...let's take a look.

Rick- You are going to love this guy!

*power point ends*

McNair- Looks good. Can he do what we need from a ______ here? What is his speed listed as? Have you talked to Bill about him?

Rick- Ahhh...I think. He looks fast enough didn't he? Bill...was busy but I still think we should get him.

McNair- Well...I wish you had talked to Bill about this. But, I will talk to him. I trust you and if you are sure on him...do whatever you can to get him. Afterall, your my grandsons godfather...

*hours later OB get a call from McNair on player "X"*

OB- Sir, we don't need a ______ we have more than enough. We will... Yes sir, I understand Rick thinks he is amazing. Sir... I looked he runs a 5.9 40, very slow for a _____. Ok, I understand. So he is our 1st round guy? Yes Sir...sounds good.

*OB hangs up and throws anything in reach at the wall for the 5th time since Monday, it's Wednesday*

Tried to add humor to it, but that sounds about how we got Brock. McNair needs to give OB more control over personal. Not just here are 90 guys Smith picked now you can mix and match till you have the 53 you like or can live with.
      JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

I am thinking this kind of mock draft. Everyone is expecting the Texans to trade up to get "OUR" guy and that's been the talk of all news and "inside" reporters. Our current roster size is 65 players and if we sit pat and take 7 players then that means we will be getting 18 UDFA's and to me that seems a little much. I would smile if Houston shocked everyone and traded down to get a total of 9 picks and take a safety in the first round. Everyone would say that they are shocked that the Texans didn't take a QB. Last year they wanted Karl Joseph and he went off the board ALOT sooner than expected in everyone's eyes and this draft is probably the deepest its been for the position in probably 8-10 years. Take a SS in round one in Obi Melifonwu and round two take a huge RT in Taylor Moton. That combination for me would excite me the most. Last two years we have drafted less than 7 players and this year we need a depth draft and build this team up. If Savage is going to be the guy lets improve this line get another RB and hope our current WR's have developed. If the line is fixed Savage has the chance to be as good as Andy Dalton IMO. Defense needs another DT,CB,OLB possibly 2 since Clowney is playing DE and Simon left for the Colts. Well that's enough of a rant I was just curious if anyone saw this happening?

Comment

Canyon1, what do you think if the Texans could hold steady and get the following:

1. OLB / Watt
          2. RT / Moton
          3. RB / Perine
          4. RG / Siragusa or Asiata
          4. SS / Harvey-Clemons

Or go for the offensive juggler:

1. RT / Cam Robinson
          2. RG / Dan Feeney
          3. RB / Samanje Perine
          4. SS / RayshawnJenkins
          4. FS / John Johnson
          5. OLB / Garrett Sickels
          7. DT / Josh Tupou

Comment

Originally posted by canyon1 View Post
            ...I would smile if Houston shocked everyone and traded down to get a total of 9 picks and take a safety in the first round...
            If top 3 QBs and top 3 OTs are off the board, Rick might shock us by trading down...

But from #25 I think we'd have to trade out of the 1st into top part of 2nd round.
            Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

If top 3 QBs and top 3 OTs are off the board, Rick might shock us by trading down...

But from #25 I think we'd have to trade out of the 1st into top part of 2nd round.
              I dont know the value of the picks real well, but if we did that could we theoretically recoup the 2ND rounder we gave up?
              sigpic

Comment

DA Draft Buzz April 18: QB not a lock for the Texans in Round 1? | Draft Analyst

General consensus has the Houston Texans taking a quarterback in the first round, yet this belief is not universal from all intimate with the situation.

Once the Houston Texans lost out on the services of Tony Romo, who announced his retirement several weeks ago, everyone automatically assumed the team would select a quarterback in the first round. And the name bandied about has been Patrick Mahomes of Texas Tech.

Yet there’s a faction of people I’ve spoken with who are close to the organization and believe the Texans won’t draft a quarterback in the first round for a variety of reasons.

Foremost is the belief that head coach Bill O’Brien, as well as the Texans front office, must win in 2017. The front office can’t risk using the 25th selection of the draft on a developmental quarterback -- the team must select a player who will offer production quickly this season.

They point to Houston drafting a left tackle or cornerback in the first round rather than a signal caller. Both are positions of need, and the players selected could have an immediate impact.

There’s also a feeling that Tom Savage will be seamless in his transition to being an every-week starter. He understands the system, has the pedigree and -- most importantly -- has the trust of O’Brien.

Could the Mahomes-to-Houston story be a smoke screen? If Mahomes is available when the Texans are called to the clock, will they pass up his long-term potential for short-term gains? Many feel the answer is yes to both questions.
                Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post
                  Canyon1, what do you think if the Texans could hold steady and get the following:

1. OLB / Watt
                  2. RT / Moton
                  3. RB / Perine
                  4. SS / Harvey-Clemons

1. RT / Cam Robinson
                  2. RG / Dan Feeney
                  3. RB / Samanje Perine
                  4. SS / RayshawnJenkins
                  4. FS / John Johnson
                  5. OLB / Garrett Sickels
                  7. DT / Josh Tupou

I'll take what's behind door #2 .... with a few provisos, por favor ! "The offensive juggler" should be a little more extreme than 3 out of 7 picks for the offensive side .... shouldn't it ? I like the first 3 a lot, but I would do whatever it takes to swap Ramczyk for Robinson. I too, would like to keep our defense in first place, but I believe the more important goal is to remove our offense from the cellar !
                  "I disapprove of what you say, I will however, defend to the death, your right to say it!" -
                  Voltaire

Comment

1. OLB / Watt
                    2. RT / Moton
                    3. RB / Perine
                    4. SS / Harvey-Clemons

1. RT / Cam Robinson
                    2. RG / Dan Feeney
                    3. RB / Samanje Perine
                    4. SS / RayshawnJenkins
                    4. FS / John Johnson
                    5. OLB / Garrett Sickels
                    7. DT / Josh Tupou
                    Sign me up for fixing this oline once and for all. Robinson and Feeney would greatly help Tom Savage the most as we as Perine and Miller duo would look **** good on the field. The oline could look like this Brown,Su'a-Filo,Martin,Feeney,Robinson. Feeney is my top rated guard and Robinson is an ideal RT not a LT.

Comment

Left tackle ? .... Our left tackle graded out extremely well last year ! Not far behind, was our rookie, undrafted center ! No one else played well at all. We have to hope that Martin comes back healthy, and that either he or Mancz can play guard .... then, all we need is a right side !
                      "I disapprove of what you say, I will however, defend to the death, your right to say it!" -
                      Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by hasbeen View Post
                        Left tackle ?
                        More an old school figure of speech. You hope you get a guy who can become capable of moving to the blind side, even though he's going to start off at RT.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

More an old school figure of speech. You hope you get a guy who can become capable of moving to the blind side, even though he's going to start off at RT.

Yes .... you're right. But you know as well as I, that the two, are more often than not, rarely mutually interchangeable. For instance, I would love to have Bolles groomed and ready to replace Brown .... but you would not draft him for a career at right tackle, would you ?
                          Voltaire

Comment

Wait .... change that. Not a career, but a couple of seasons.
                            Voltaire

Comment

Robinson or Ramczyk at 25 would be a nice position to be in. Either could start their careers at RT and eventually move to LT....or just stay put. Heck for the first time ever, the Texans could be staring down the benefit of cap space and possibly 10+ picks in the draft for 2018. If they play their cards right in the 2017 draft and put together a 9+ win season....2018 would be the year they could viably put a cherry on top of this cake. If RS handles this situation, he could correct in 2 seasons what he almost destroyed from all of his previous seasons combined.

Comment

Robinson or Ramczyk at 25 would be a nice position to be in. Either could start their careers at RT and eventually move to LT....or just stay put. Heck for the first time ever, the Texans could be staring down the benefit of cap space and possibly 10+ picks in the draft for 2018. If they play their cards right in the 2017 draft and put together a 9+ win season....2018 would be the year they could viably put a cherry on top of this cake. If RS handles this situation, he could correct in 2 seasons what he almost destroyed from all of his previous seasons combined.
                                your last statement about RS makes no logical sense. Did he in fact build a good foundation where all we need is "a cherry on top"(which btw refers to a sundae not a cake) or did he spend his last 11 seasons destroying that miraculous 2-14 team he inherited that you know had never been to the post season
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X