RB for short yardage and rest for Miller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB for short yardage and rest for Miller

We know Blue is a bigger RB, yet plays small. When you look at the system we run and then watch some games. We don't have a RB to fill the role of say LB in NE. Seeing it's almost the same system, and even if it wasn't a short yardage and goal line RB is needed. Not with a really high pick with a draft this deep at RB. Say 4-5th round.

Who do you like? This is a key role we really have not had. I'm going to list a few. I really want Conner or Foreman. However, I think Gallman could be a real stud and should be around in the 5th.
    Samaje Perine, Oklahoma, 5’11” 233

Bully back with exceptional strength who should thrive in short yardage situations.

D’Onta Foreman, Texas, 6’0” 233

Athletic specimen who struggles in pass protection.

Wayne Gallman, Clemson, 6’0” 215

An aggressive banger who excels on the goal line.

James Connor, Pittsburgh, 6’1” 233

A true power runner with excellent football character.

Brian Hill, Wyoming, 6’1” 219

Combines a downhill running style with expertise in pass protection.

JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
    We know Blue is a bigger RB, yet plays small. When you look at the system we run and then watch some games. We don't have a RB to fill the role of say LB in NE. Seeing it's almost the same system, and even if it wasn't a short yardage and goal line RB is needed. Not with a really high pick with a draft this deep at RB. Say 4-5th round.

Who do you like? This is a key role we really have not had. I'm going to list a few. I really want Conner or Foreman. However, I think Gallman could be a real stud and should be around in the 5th.

Samaje Perine, Oklahoma, 5’11” 233

Bully back with exceptional strength who should thrive in short yardage situations.

D’Onta Foreman, Texas, 6’0” 233

Athletic specimen who struggles in pass protection.

Wayne Gallman, Clemson, 6’0” 215

An aggressive banger who excels on the goal line.

James Connor, Pittsburgh, 6’1” 233

A true power runner with excellent football character.

Brian Hill, Wyoming, 6’1” 219

Combines a downhill running style with expertise in pass protection.

Imho, the back we get does not have to be just a big hammer - he can be a legit 3 down back that can threaten with his hands out of the backfield too.

There is one guy that has been somewhat under the radar and he is very intriguing -
    McNichols, Jeremy RB 5'9" 214
    Boise St.
    He should be there for Texans for one of their 4th rounders.
    I have been pounding the table this whole off season for some help for Miller because he cannot possibly be expected to take 30 hit ups for 16+ games and play fresh and at a high level.
    Our #2,3 options do not inspire and if our passing game is not up to snuff we will be relying heavily on the run game.
    I want a danger man back there for when Miller takes a breather or worse, an injury.
    Oh and yes, I like all of the options you listed. There are others, but I do not see Texans taking any RB before the 3rd.
    Last edited by aussiedave; 04-14-2017, 06:51 PM.
    1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post

Imho, the back we get does not have to be just a big hammer - he can be a legit 3 down back that can threaten with his hands out of the backfield too.

There is one guy that has been somewhat under the radar and he is very intriguing -
      Boise St.
      I have been pounding the table this whole off season for some help for Miller because he cannot possibly be expected to take 30 hit ups for 16+ games and play fresh and at a high level.
      Our #2,3 options do not inspire and if our passing game is not up to snuff we will be relying heavily on the run game.
      I want a danger man back there for when Miller takes a breather or worse, an injury.
      Oh and yes, I like all of the options you listed. There are others, but I do not see Texans taking any RB before the 3rd.
      Yes, I only listed a couple. I don't think we should keep Blue unless we don't take a RB at some point. He seems to soft. He has had decent games but never maintains it. He is a bigger RB on paper, yet plays like a 200lb scat back more often than not. That's why I like Gallman, not huge but can catch and knows how to get into the end zone. Conner is just a monster and I can't recall the kids name, but he is 6' 2" 235 and runs a 4.5. He went to a small school but looks like if the speed isn't too much for him he could be a starter in the NFL. Has hands, shifty, follows blocks and can create if nothing opens. And at his size as you can guess he is not a guy you can arm tackle. You have to wrap him up or really lay a huge shot on him... then again I saw a few runs he just ran over the LB and S 1 hit as the other wrapped him up and it didn't stop him. Due to the small school, he is projected as a 6-7th round pick.

I'll see if I can remember the name and get a link to some film and scouting reports

Also, forgot about these 2
      1. Joe Williams, RB, Utah
        Height: 5-11. Weight: 210. Arm: 30.75. Hand: 9.38.
        40 Time: 4.41.
        Projected Round (2017): 4-6.
        4/8/17: Williams was a tough runner for the Utes in 2016. He averaged 6.7 yards per carry for 1,407 yards with 10 touchdowns. He had nine receptions for 107 yards. Williams showed some serious speed with a fast 40 time at the combine. He could be a mid-round sleeper WHI ends up being a good value pick.
      2. Aaron Jones*, RB, UTEP
        Height: 5-9. Weight: 208. Arm: 32.5. Hand: 9.5.
        40 Time: 4.56.
        4/8/17: Jones turned in a big 2016 season, averaging 7.7 yards per carry for 1,773 yards with 17 touchdowns. He also showed receiving skills with 28 receptions for 233 yards and three scores. Jones put together another big season in 2014 with 1,321 yards (5.5 average) with 11 touchdowns. He had 30 catches for 293 yards and three scores as well.

Jones missed almost all of the 2015 season with torn ligaments in his ankle. He received a medical redshirt for that season and decided to skip his senior year to enter the 2017 NFL Draft.
      Last edited by Matt_in_KW; 04-14-2017, 10:33 PM.
      JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

Yes, I only listed a couple. I don't think we should keep Blue unless we don't take a RB at some point. He seems to soft. He has had decent games but never maintains it. He is a bigger RB on paper, yet plays like a 200lb scat back more often than not. That's why I like Gallman, not huge but can catch and knows how to get into the end zone. Conner is just a monster and I can't recall the kids name, but he is 6' 2" 235 and runs a 4.5. He went to a small school but looks like if the speed isn't too much for him he could be a starter in the NFL. Has hands, shifty, follows blocks and can create if nothing opens. And at his size as you can guess he is not a guy you can arm tackle. You have to wrap him up or really lay a huge shot on him... then again I saw a few runs he just ran over the LB and S 1 hit as the other wrapped him up and it didn't stop him. Due to the small school, he is projected as a 6-7th round pick.

I'll see if I can remember the name and get a link to some film and scouting reports

Also, forgot about these 2
        1. Joe Williams, RB, Utah
          Height: 5-11. Weight: 210. Arm: 30.75. Hand: 9.38.
          40 Time: 4.41.
          4/8/17: Williams was a tough runner for the Utes in 2016. He averaged 6.7 yards per carry for 1,407 yards with 10 touchdowns. He had nine receptions for 107 yards. Williams showed some serious speed with a fast 40 time at the combine. He could be a mid-round sleeper WHI ends up being a good value pick.
        2. Aaron Jones*, RB, UTEP
          Height: 5-9. Weight: 208. Arm: 32.5. Hand: 9.5.
          40 Time: 4.56.
          4/8/17: Jones turned in a big 2016 season, averaging 7.7 yards per carry for 1,773 yards with 17 touchdowns. He also showed receiving skills with 28 receptions for 233 yards and three scores. Jones put together another big season in 2014 with 1,321 yards (5.5 average) with 11 touchdowns. He had 30 catches for 293 yards and three scores as well.

Jones missed almost all of the 2015 season with torn ligaments in his ankle. He received a medical redshirt for that season and decided to skip his senior year to enter the 2017 NFL Draft.
        Heard about Williams - they say his running style is reminiscent of Eric Dickerson.
        DeAngelo Henderson is also worth a look - said to be an electric return man.
        1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post

Boise St.
          I really like McNichols too.. He was one of my sleeper backs. Along with James Conner. They would really fill a hole for the texans and each one of those guys should go later than their value for the texans.
          sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

I've liked Brian Hill for a while now since he seems like one of the more complete backs. He's fast enough, blocks and has excellent hands. He had a fairly successful college career with Wyoming. I also think the Texans could be in a position to reload the position with some additional but exciting UDFA RB's from this years class.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post
              I've liked Brian Hill for a while now since he seems like one of the more complete backs. He's fast enough, blocks and has excellent hands. He had a fairly successful college career with Wyoming. I also think the Texans could be in a position to reload the position with some additional but exciting UDFA RB's from this years class.
              Who do you have in mind?
              I have two in mind that may slip into FA - one I have already mentioned, DeAngelo Henderson and the other is TJ Logan.
              I sincerely hope Texans don't rely on FA RB's to boost their stocks - there is some good talent in the 4th and 5th rounds.
              I think the Alfred Blue experiment is over. He is too one dimensional and can't get you that 1 yard on a consistent basis.
              Get yourself a good one and he can possibly take over the return duties and give ST's a boost too - Tyler Ervin does not appear to be anything special and I had high hopes for him.

Comment

How about thinking outside the box. (PUN INTENDED)

Just hire "The Doctor" to pluck up 1978 Earl Campbell and bring him to the 2017 Draft class under deep cover. His undercover name is Yukant Tak'lme.
                Last edited by Marshall; 04-15-2017, 08:37 AM.
                https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

I want Perine in the 2nd or 3rd. So bad.

Comment

Perine is the thunder to Millers lightening and he would do really well in our system. He can pass block and catch the ball out of the back field. I LOVE the idea of having Miller, Perine, Ervin, Hunt as our RB's to go to battle with. Everyone likes Hunt but I was a little upset that MR. Speed back got caught by a LB on a wheel route against Oakland. Had he scored there would not have been the two plays in a row of NOT getting a first down. Hunt is a good man but when you get caught by a LB when your specialty is supposed to be speed that concerns me. Ervin is ready to take a step forward this year as a jack of all trades but master of none type and I like this kid a lot. I am saying this again. FIX the line get another RB get depth on our defense and let Savage manage the game and occasionally take a shot down field we have weapons. Now is there was a way to get Jake Butt to pair with CJ then the offense would have everything except a proven QB

A dark horse RB that I really like is Jamaal Williams from BYU and Kareem Hunt from Toledo all would be welcome pieces to our team if we got one. Only guy I don't want is Joe Williams from Utah he quits and he has red flags all over him

Comment

I'd like to see us upgrade at RB with a guy whose has better vision/instincts than Miller, who was a disappointment for me.

I think our deal allows up to get out it after 2017 with little cap impact.

Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Perine was also on my list but I had another position covered in the projected round and figured Hill was an equal option. I'm not sure Ervin can keep his job if the Texans take advantage of drafting Perine or Hill, then feasting on at least 2 more UDFA's for camp this year. Position overhaul with Miller the lone holdover.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                          I'd like to see us upgrade at RB with a guy whose has better vision/instincts than Miller, who was a disappointment for me.

I think our deal allows up to get out it after 2017 with little cap impact.
                          I would prefer to ignore RB this draft and get Nick Chubb next season. If his knee holds up, game on.

Comment

I don't want a RB who already has a destroyed knee

Comment

Texans need some fresh and dominant blood at the RB position this season and this draft has depth and multiple options to make that impact happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X