Trade up for Watson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade up for Watson

i know that not everyone is happy about the trade up to get Watson. I'm actually not upset at all. Considering the majority of analysts thought that the amount of collateral it would take would be significant, I think that swapping first round picks in 2017 and giving away our 1st next year isn't a bad deal.

Has anyone else considered this?

Compared to how Chicago got raked over the coals to move up 1 spot, I think our trade was fine. I hate that we don't have a 1st next season, however if Watson proves to be good to great it will have been worth that plus some.

We also have enough cap space to work some magic next season and can still draft a QB in a stronger class or get one via undrafted free agency who can back Watson up, or replace him if need be. This was a smart move, wether he was your choice in QB or not.

$ In Bill We Trust &

Comment

I hate that we don't have a 1st AND a 2nd next year ! I hate that we spent 2 - 1st round picks on a QB in a year when more scouts than I have ever heard, openly professed that there was no QB in this draft that rated a 1st round grade. I hate that we didn't select Ramczyk @ #25. In a year when blue chip offensive linemen were so rare, he was the answer for our right side, and quite possibly our left side, in a few years, when Brown retires. Foreman was an excellent choice in the 3rd. He and Miller should compliment one another to a T. But .... in all the tape I've watched on him, Foreman was running through some healthy sized holes. I predict ours will be smaller and rarer !
      "I disapprove of what you say, I will however, defend to the death, your right to say it!" -
      Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by hasbeen View Post
        I hate that we don't have a 1st AND a 2nd next year ! I hate that we spent 2 - 1st round picks on a QB in a year when more scouts than I have ever heard, openly professed that there was no QB in this draft that rated a 1st round grade. I hate that we didn't select Ramczyk @ #25. In a year when blue chip offensive linemen were so rare, he was the answer for our right side, and quite possibly our left side, in a few years, when Brown retires. Foreman was an excellent choice in the 3rd. He and Miller should compliment one another to a T. But .... in all the tape I've watched on him, Foreman was running through some healthy sized holes. I predict ours will be smaller and rarer !

IF Watson is the answer at QB moving forward, then we got him at a bargain compared to other teams that have traded up for QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post

IF Watson is the answer at QB moving forward, then we got him at a bargain compared to other teams that have traded up for QBs.
          Coming out, would you say that his future is as bright as say, Carson Wentz ?
          "I disapprove of what you say, I will however, defend to the death, your right to say it!" -
          Voltaire

Comment

I am the furthest thing from a talent evaluator, lol

My personal belief is that the situation a QB is dropped into plays a larger role in his future success than his perceived or projected talent at the time he was drafted. I think (hope?) that we provide a better situation than most teams selecting a QB towards the top of the draft, and are able to give him the best shot at developing into a successful starter.

I think Carson Wentz walked into a decent situation, but was a huge question mark during the draft. Goff was said to be a sure thing. I think we provide a better situation than Goff walked into.

Total cost for Jared Goff:

Tennessee gets:
            Rams' first-round pick (2016)
            two second-round picks (2016)
            third-round pick (2016)
            first-round pick (2017)
            third-round pick (2017).

To your point however -- In 2011 when the Jaguars traded up from 16 to 10 so they could draft Gabbert they were able to only swap 1sts and give up a second. They didn't have to come up quite as far though.
            Last edited by SteelBluCurtain; 05-02-2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I'm really not trying to dispute the facts or your statements. I too am not a talent evaluator. I do however spend a great deal of time following the sport, and the players that will become the sport. I watch a ton of college football. I think my main source for finding possible talent, is just by watching and waiting for players to "jump off the screen" at me. That's is when I start researching the findings of the true "talent evaluators". I think next year, there will be 2, maybe 3 of those "franchise" type qbs entering the draft - Rosen from Cal, Darnold from USC, and possibly Ferguson from S Miss. Those are just the ones I saw.
              Voltaire

Comment

That last part was all incorrect .... the mark of an amateur. I just checked. They are assumed to be staying another year. Rosen is from UCLA. It is Fitzgerald from So Miss. They don't show Darnold coming out until the next year. The other QBs they have highly rated, I haven't seen yet, or they didn't jump off the screen at me .... the look of say Marino or Elway.
                Voltaire

Comment

Watson has been able to find success at every level so far... Honestly.. His future is as bright as he can make it. He really seems to be a smart person capable of making improvements. For instance.. They lost to alabama in 2016. Came back and beat them the next year. A small step forward. I think hes capable of learning and making small adjustments. Im not saying hes the next Montana. But i think hes not going to do an rg3. I think his character and class are a little higher than that. I think he will throw a lot of picks.. But will keep working and improving. If he can stay upright and progress.. He could be a very solid qb for years to come. I think we can all agree that the texans wouldve won a couple more games if we had 10 more tds last year. I think he gives you that with just as many interceptions. Still increasing your chances of winning. Its not difficult for me to picture him as a top 20 qb. Is he better than Tannehill? Dalton? Bradford? I believe so. Are those 3 guys better than Hoyer, mallett, osweiler? I believe so. And I think Deshaun is an upgrade for the Texans over what we have had. Is he going to be the best qb in the league? No. Will he be better than anything the Texans have had since schaub? Probably.
                  sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

I'm really not trying to dispute the facts or your statements. I too am not a talent evaluator. I do however spend a great deal of time following the sport, and the players that will become the sport. I watch a ton of college football. I think my main source for finding possible talent, is just by watching and waiting for players to "jump off the screen" at me. That's is when I start researching the findings of the true "talent evaluators". I think next year, there will be 2, maybe 3 of those "franchise" type qbs entering the draft - Rosen from Cal, Darnold from USC, and possibly Ferguson from S Miss. Those are just the ones I saw.
                    So here's my question -- We drafted a 21 year old QB that needs some work but has good potential. Fast forward to next year. Would you rather have a 22 year old QB that has spent a year learning an NFL offense with that same potential or take a flyer on one of those QBs?

I know the assumption is that if we'd waited until next year we could have drafted an OL to protect next years QB.. The counter to that is.. if Watson sits until next year we can address OL in free agency.

We'll see man.. The season can't start soon enough!

Comment

Originally posted by ArkhamKnight92 View Post

Watson has been able to find success at every level so far... Honestly.. His future is as bright as he can make it. He really seems to be a smart person capable of making improvements. For instance.. They lost to alabama in 2016. Came back and beat them the next year. A small step forward. I think hes capable of learning and making small adjustments. Im not saying hes the next Montana. But i think hes not going to do an rg3. I think his character and class are a little higher than that. I think he will throw a lot of picks.. But will keep working and improving. If he can stay upright and progress.. He could be a very solid qb for years to come. I think we can all agree that the texans wouldve won a couple more games if we had 10 more tds last year. I think he gives you that with just as many interceptions. Still increasing your chances of winning. Its not difficult for me to picture him as a top 20 qb. Is he better than Tannehill? Dalton? Bradford? I believe so. Are those 3 guys better than Hoyer, mallett, osweiler? I believe so. And I think Deshaun is an upgrade for the Texans over what we have had. Is he going to be the best qb in the league? No. Will he be better than anything the Texans have had since schaub? Probably.
                      Someone pointed out that before Fitzpatrick came to Houston, he was known as Pickpatrick.. OB got the best from him and can surely get the best from a young bright and moldable QB.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post

Someone pointed out that before Fitzpatrick came to Houston, he was known as Pickpatrick.. OB got the best from him and can surely get the best from a young bright and moldable QB.
                        He was able to do the same with hoyer exluding the KC meltdown.. But i just say to those who complain about his 17 picks.. Brock threw just as many. And 1/3 of the tds. If Deshaun throws 20 ints and 35 tds... Texans win a ton of games. Because interceptions arent insurmountable obstacles with this defense. So arguably they are about half as impactful as they would be for the saints or 49ers where teams score on you every time youre on the field. I REALLY like watson. Im just very skeptical about any qb coming out of college. Ive hit on a couple.. Missed on a couple.. But i think he has as good of an upside as weve seen since luck... I think he can be mariota like... But hopefully healthier.. Hes not a Dak.. Hes not a Luck.. But he can be a winner and this defense and offense should respond well to him. People say hes inaccurate... Well the texans havent had a guy over 60% completions in a while. Schaub was low 60s.. Watson could do that. Im interested to see.. And deep ball accuracy was an "issue." Ok deep balls are always lower completion throws. Deshaun was just taking more of those chances than most guys. He can throw a clean deep ball.
                        Last edited by ArkhamKnight92; 05-02-2017, 02:39 PM.
                        sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

I think next year, there will be 2, maybe 3 of those "franchise" type qbs entering the draft - Rosen from Cal, Darnold from USC, and possibly Ferguson from S Miss. Those are just the ones I saw.
                          Check out Josh Allen/Wyoming, too. He looks special.
                          Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

Check out Josh Allen/Wyoming, too. He looks special.
                            I definitely will .... but, I would imagine no matter how talented he, or any of those I previously mentioned, or anyone else is, (including Savage), Watson will be our quarterback for the next 5 years or so !
                            Voltaire

Comment

I definitely will .... but, I would imagine no matter how talented he, or any of those I previously mentioned, or anyone else is, (including Savage), Watson will be our quarterback for the next 5 years or so !
                              Yep, you're right.

On second thought, don't check out Josh Allen.
                              Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Working...
                              X