Trade up for Watson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShujaMoraine View Post
    What kind of logic are you guys using . Watson is a proven winner. His interception are based off a lot of factors such as poor route running , bad assignment blocking on the offensive. is accuracy isn't as bad as people are trying to make it out the nor was his decision-making. yes, either multiple picks in a very aggressive but, when the game was on the line and matter most he made great decisions, accurate throws an excellent reads which led to a 32-3 college career.
    Logic: Winning in college has very little to do w/ winning in the pros.

However, I do like all the other stuff you're pointing out. I like the Watson pick. Why? Because he was the best QB prospect left, and we are in desperate need of a QB. It's really not any more complicated than that.

Good move to trade up.
    Why do people point toward their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point toward their hooha when asking where the bathroom is?

Comment

Originally posted by ktex View Post

Logic: Winning in college has very little to do w/ winning in the pros.

However, I do like all the other stuff you're pointing out. I like the Watson pick. Why? Because he was the best QB prospect left, and we are in desperate need of a QB. It's really not any more complicated than that.

Good move to trade up.
      While that's true, I can't remember very many good NFL QB's that didn't win in college. I think both Mahomes and Watson will be very successful NFL QB's because they both ended up in ideal situations. Mahomes behind Smith and with a very great HC, and Watson with a plethora of weapons and one of the best WR's in the game. He's easily the most talented QB we've had here and I think he'll prove everyone wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post
        No, but Obie seems fully aware that he has his work cut to re-wire his new QB so he's prepared for the rigors of the NFL. Savage is QB1 and Weeden will win the QB2 spot. This is not a put down of Watson but it will take time for him to learn and transform his game. He's got 2 veteran QB's in front of him that will mentor him along the way.

I may be wrong but when I was listening to Ariens in regards to his thought on QB's....he mentioned that having a strong armed QB isn't always the best situation because during their tenure as a QB they learned the bad habit of not leading their receivers but targeting their receivers with throws they were confident in that would beat the defenders. That can work on the HS and College levels but will be quickly exposed in the NFL. I think Ariens was alluding to the fact that a strong armed QB who can make all the throws with both finesse and authority are the hidden gems.
        I don't think Weeden is a lock to even make the roster. Make no mistake Deshaun Watson is starting game 1 most likely.

Comment

I just want for us as fans to understand the concepts have consistently been wrong or off the mark in their assessment of potential NFL talent. I believe that DeShaun Watson will be a excellent NFL quarterback. Also think he has a great chance of starting the season game one

Comment

Originally posted by 281Texan View Post

While that's true, I can't remember very many good NFL QB's that didn't win in college. I think both Mahomes and Watson will be very successful NFL QB's because they both ended up in ideal situations. Mahomes behind Smith and with a very great HC, and Watson with a plethora of weapons and one of the best WR's in the game. He's easily the most talented QB we've had here and I think he'll prove everyone wrong.
            Yes, but I can name scads upon scads of QB's who won a lot in college and didn't make it in the pro's.
            Why do people point toward their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point toward their hooha when asking where the bathroom is?

Comment

Originally posted by ktex View Post

Yes, but I can name scads upon scads of QB's who won a lot in college and didn't make it in the pro's.
              And I agree with you. Leinart, VY, etc. etc. winning doesn't mean you'll be a good NFL QB, especially if the QB is playing at a powerhouse school with buku's of talent around him. I'm just saying it's highly uncommon for a QB who can't win in college to win at the professional level. Watson had some decent pieces at Clemson, but he was far from a game manager. That Alabama defense was arguably the best defense in the history of college football and he put up 30+ points on them. Nearly every player was or will be a first rounder including a lot of the guys on their bench. So it was impressive to say the least. I think he's ready to take the reigns day 1.

Comment

Hate to say this...but Savage and Weeden both completed good OTA's...better than Watson's OTA's but that is to be expected since they are veterans of this system. Next up, 3-Day Mandatory Mini Camp. The plot will thicken but I fully expect Savage and Weeden to prevail during these drills as well. Then comes the month layoff. Watson will have a lot to digest and work on but I'm going to lean on Obie's statement that his preference is to have a rookie sit and absorb as much offensive scheme information as possible so he's better prepared to compete for the QB1 spot in 2018. At the moment, 1st team reps are Savage's to lose and I just got this feeling that he's not going to let the opportunity go by after waiting 3 years for his chance to lead this team.

Comment

Hate to say this...but Savage and Weeden both completed good OTA's...better than Watson's OTA's but that is to be expected since they are veterans of this system. Next up, 3-Day Mandatory Mini Camp. The plot will thicken but I fully expect Savage and Weeden to prevail during these drills as well. Then comes the month layoff. Watson will have a lot to digest and work on but I'm going to lean on Obie's statement that his preference is to have a rookie sit and absorb as much offensive scheme information as possible so he's better prepared to compete for the QB1 spot in 2018. At the moment, 1st team reps are Savage's to lose and I just got this feeling that he's not going to let the opportunity go by after waiting 3 years for his chance to lead this team.
                  You don't believe that upper management will force OB's hand on this one? I think it's a moot point. Savage may have one or two starts but as soon as he throws a pick or does anything other than be Tom Brady you know the whole stadium is going to be booing and wanting OB to bring in Watson..not to mention if Rick Smith wants Watson to start...Watson will start.

Comment

You don't believe that upper management will force OB's hand on this one? I think it's a moot point. Savage may have one or two starts but as soon as he throws a pick or does anything other than be Tom Brady you know the whole stadium is going to be booing and wanting OB to bring in Watson..not to mention if Rick Smith wants Watson to start...Watson will start.
                    That all depends on the type of pick...if he's got the Texans up by 17 in the 4th, then it could be inconsequential and the fans would still be cheering wildly. Watson's primary focus should be on learning the system well enough to beat Weeden for the QB2 spot this season. With Obie's job probably on the line this season...my guess, he's going with the QB who's gives him the best opportunity to win now if Savage were to go down. Obie's not concerned with next season, because there may not be a 2018 season as the Texans HC for Obie if this doesn't work out in his favor.

Comment

That all depends on the type of pick...if he's got the Texans up by 17 in the 4th, then it could be inconsequential and the fans would still be cheering wildly. Watson's primary focus should be on learning the system well enough to beat Weeden for the QB2 spot this season. With Obie's job probably on the line this season...my guess, he's going with the QB who's gives him the best opportunity to win now if Savage were to go down. Obie's not concerned with next season, because there may not be a 2018 season as the Texans HC for Obie if this doesn't work out in his favor.
                      Weeden never had a shot bro...Watson is the next guy to go in. Weeden is irrelevant at this point. Idk why we even mention him. I will be HIGHLY surprised if Watson doesn't win the job in preseason. Savage was a mediocre game manager in his opportunities last season. Sure he didn't throw any picks but the offense was thoroughly unimpressive. He came back to beat the third worst team in football and put up like what, 10 points against the Bengals? Whoopty friggin doo.

Comment

Taken in consideration that Watson is a rookie there are somethings you know he will improve just with time. If Savage and Weeden is head and shoulders better than him then he will start. I don't want that for him . Truth is I have no doubt that he will be a great QB in this league. So as he said in the championship game "Lets go be Legendary"

Comment

I love this pick! IMO Watson was the best in the draft and I thought he'd be a fantastic fit with us, but I never ever thought we'd get him. I thought he'd be gone early on (was shocked the Jets passed on him, but this was before it became clear they were gonna poop the bed this season). I didnt really pay much attention to college football this year, but I like to keep an eye on teams that give Alabama trouble. That last play in the Championship game really sold me on him honestly. If all the QBs are a risk this year, then he seems like the one most worth it, in my opinion. I do hope he can bulk up a little bit before his first game though, whenever that may be

Comment

Originally posted by taboo View Post
                            I love this pick! IMO Watson was the best in the draft and I thought he'd be a fantastic fit with us, but I never ever thought we'd get him. I thought he'd be gone early on (was shocked the Jets passed on him, but this was before it became clear they were gonna poop the bed this season). I didnt really pay much attention to college football this year, but I like to keep an eye on teams that give Alabama trouble. That last play in the Championship game really sold me on him honestly. If all the QBs are a risk this year, then he seems like the one most worth it, in my opinion. I do hope he can bulk up a little bit before his first game though, whenever that may be
                            I thought he was probably the best qb in the draft.. Just kept thinking there was no way he would drop to 25. I also thought there was no way the Texans trade up to get him. I'm glad i was wrong. Watson reminds me of some of the best pocket guys with escapability. I think if he develops correctly in the nfl, he can use his legs to buy himself extra time to throw. Rodgers, Romo, Roethlisberger, Mariota, Luck, Wilson, Smith, Kaepernick, Newton and a few others have all had varying degrees of success moving around to buy time. It even worked for RG3 for a spell. I think he has the raw tools and the head for game that he needs. Just think if he gets time.. He can develop into quite the NFL QB.
                            sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

And I agree with you. Leinart, VY, etc. etc. winning doesn't mean you'll be a good NFL QB, especially if the QB is playing at a powerhouse school with buku's of talent around him. I'm just saying it's highly uncommon for a QB who can't win in college to win at the professional level. Watson had some decent pieces at Clemson, but he was far from a game manager. That Alabama defense was arguably the best defense in the history of college football and he put up 30+ points on them. Nearly every player was or will be a first rounder including a lot of the guys on their bench. So it was impressive to say the least. I think he's ready to take the reigns day 1.
                              Elway's the only one I can think of. He was something like 3-8 his last year.

Comment

What the chart says about value.

1-12 1200 points

1-25 720 points
                                2018 1-25 = 2017 2-25 = 330 points
                                -------------------------------------
                                1050 points
                                ===================
                                So the chart says we did great. But I don't remember if there was more to the trade now. You can also argue about chart value assumptions like losing a full round of value for each year in the future. You could also argue that next year's draft order should be different from this years draft order.

This is all based on an attempt to separate the trade from the player evaluation. But traditionally, a move of 13 positions is significantly higher in cost in the first half of the first round than elsewhere in the draft.

ps The cost of removing Brock AND his salary:
                                2018 2-25 = 2017 3-25 = 145 points

That's the approximate value saved in the trade to move up for Watson.
                                Last edited by Marshall; 1 week ago.
                                https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Working...
                                X