Right Tackle position for the Texans will be solidifed before he draft

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Tackle position for the Texans will be solidifed before he draft

Looking into FA and the Draft for this year a lot of people show us needing a RT in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft. I say there is NO WAY we go into the draft without our starting RT on the roster. Newton is more than likely done, and even if not, based on his contract should be released. That means our opening day roster projects Chris Clark at RT and there is no way that happens. Every draft we go into Rick Smith does one thing that few (even on these boards) will deny he does well. He fills holes on the depth chart so we can do our best to draft BPA. That said, let's look at some of the Right Tackles in FA this year:

Sebastian Vollmer - NE, 33 (on IR)
    Gosder Cherilus - TB, 33
    Andre Smith - MIN, 30 (on IR)
    Mike Remmers - CAR, 28
    Byron Bell - TEN, 28 (on IR)
    Menelik Watson - OAK, 29 (starting LT)
    Jordan Mills - BUF, 27
    Ricky Wagner - BAL, 28
    Earl Watford - ARI, 27
    Eric Winston - CIN, 33

And then there are aging LT's, who may or may not consider moving to RT to finish their careers:
    Andrew Whitworth - CIN, 36
    William Beatty - NYG, 32
    Tony Hills - NO, 33
    Jake Long - MIN, 32

------Ages are their ages at start of year next season, not current ages------

Looking at this pool of starters, and with RS's history of looking for bargain gems (sometimes very successful and sometimes not), I think there are the most likely 3:

3) Byron Bell (1 year $2.5M or 2 years $2.25/year)
    This depends entirely an Extremely Extensive look at his ankle. The reason he is worth the risk, is that he is a solid RT who can also play Guard at a high level. If we sign him and end up drafting an OT early b/c we feel we got a steal....he can move to Allen's guards spot and solidy our O-line. He had a gruesome ankle injury during OTAs that ended his season, so they would absolutely have to make 100% sure this isn't still an issue.

2) Andre Smith (2 years, $4-5M/year)
    Smith is recovering from Tricep surgery he had earlier this year. Andre is still in his prime at 29/30 and once recovered should be able to step right back in. After only being in MIN 1 year, I don't see him having any loyalty there, and can expect a move. Not to mention they are likely to draft an OT after their injuries this offseason, and 3 set to leave. A little risk due to injuries two years in a row, but neither should effect his playing and neither were in his legs/knees, just bad luck. Solid Vet who would be a great addition IMO.

1) Ricky Wagner (4 years, $6.5M/year)
    Ricky is only a few years in the league and has developed into a very solid RT for the Ravens. He's not a Pro Bowler, but he's a large upgrade from Newton, and is a solid Vet addition. He had a great year in 2014, hit a rough start, but figured it out in second half of 2015, and rebounded to have a great 2016. He also only had 3 penalties all year as opposed to Clark's 17. His consistency is what stands out most, and I believe he could provide a huge boost for Lamar Miller and even for Brock in the next few years. I'm very high on this guy, and I hope we can lure him away from the Ravens this offseason. Blocking for Brock vs Flacco is a tough sell though....

Smith will probably sign someone, he tends to be that compeatent. Now how good they are is the question. Your 1st suggestion is probably the best idea.

1- with his injury a full medical report will have to be run to make sure he is good to go...leading to #2

2- it's hard to ask for a huge deal when you have to prove that your 100% regardless of #1

3- he probably won't be offered a great deal from his current team due to all the above

4- I can see him willing to play on a 1yr deal for much less (maybe league minimum) as a "show/prove" type deal
    JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
      Smith will probably sign someone, he tends to be that compeatent. Now how good they are is the question. Your 1st suggestion is probably the best idea.

1- with his injury a full medical report will have to be run to make sure he is good to go...leading to #2

2- it's hard to ask for a huge deal when you have to prove that your 100% regardless of #1

3- he probably won't be offered a great deal from his current team due to all the above

4- I can see him willing to play on a 1yr deal for much less (maybe league minimum) as a "show/prove" type deal
      I definitely wouldn't be mad about that. He's definitely gone from TEN mainly b/c he won't be a starter now that Conklin and Lewan have stepped up. At least here, even with a rookie, he will have a shot at starting.

Comment

1. The Texans don't have a good history of vetting injuries.

2. They always ask, though sometimes they don't get it.

3. Probably true if he's really injured badly which means we wouldn't want him either.

4. This situation is usually resolved by paying for a healthy player as if uninjured and, in exchange, the player waives his injury clause allowing them to cut the player and the contract if he under-performs due to injury.

But taking a flyer rarely hurts in case the teams that released him got it wrong.
        https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post

1. The Texans don't have a good history of vetting injuries.

2. They always ask, though sometimes they don't get it.

3. Probably true if he's really injured badly which means we wouldn't want him either.

4. This situation is usually resolved by paying for a healthy player as if uninjured and, in exchange, the player waives his injury clause allowing them to cut the player and the contract if he under-performs due to injury.

But taking a flyer rarely hurts in case the teams that released him got it wrong.
          I agree with the injury waiver, but the Titans won't release him b/c he's injured or not....he will be released because they have Taylor Lewan and Jack Conklin as Tackles now. No need to pay a starter to sit on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by dallas_texan View Post

I agree with the injury waiver, but the Titans won't release him b/c he's injured or not....he will be released because they have Taylor Lewan and Jack Conklin as Tackles now. No need to pay a starter to sit on the bench.
            It would be nice to have him - you just know he will play his heart out every time they play us just to show them they let the wrong guy go.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post

It would be nice to have him - you just know he will play his heart out every time they play us just to show them they let the wrong guy go.
              Thats why I think of the original list he is 1 we can probably sign at a very good deal.

Comment

Thats why I think of the original list he is 1 we can probably sign at a very good deal.
                True. Plus, can't we can sign a guy like Bell, and still release him during training camp if draft an OT, and Bell doesn't look 100% without much penalty?

Comment

Not at the rate Smith is working. At this rate a draft pick is going to be the earliest we get any OL help

Comment

So with all this, Robinson from Alabama is the best tackle coming so what does it take 2 get him????

Comment

Originally posted by Golgothin View Post
                      So with all this, Robinson from Alabama is the best tackle coming so what does it take 2 get him????
                      Too much, I think, especially for a team with even more needs opened during free agency.
                      If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Comment

I agree, I guess I am playing scenarios out in my mind like we already have a certain QB under Center and what do we need to do so we keep said QB upright and off his back.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgothin View Post
                          I agree, I guess I am playing scenarios out in my mind like we already have a certain QB under Center and what do we need to do so we keep said QB upright and off his back.
                          No, it's smart. We need OTs. I just don't see any way at this point that Cam makes it past #23.
                          If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

No, it's smart. We need OTs. I just don't see any way at this point that Cam makes it past #23.
                            If CAM doesn't make it past 23, than another excellent athlete will be available. But Robinson and Bolles are NOT equal. Bolles is a better fit with a Zone scheme and Robinson is a better fit with a Power scheme.

I still want Robinson, Maholmes and TJ Watt, but know I'll likely have to settle for at most two and possibly none. All three are from late first to middle second probable picks.
                            https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Maholmes looks like the best option, albeit a raw option if we have a veteran he can sit behind and learn from for a couple years.

Comment

Working...
                              X