X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Tony Romo to be released, interested in Texans

Might as well put this here for now...

Report: The Houston Texans "Intrigue" Tony Romo the Most
    Houston, Texas - With so much instability regarding the Houston Texans quarterback position, the issue is once again is taking center stage of the 2017 off-season. The Texans have potentially struck out on the signing of...

With the rumors surrounding the Texans and the position, ESPN's Ed Werder dropped a haymaker regarding Tony Romo and his future with the Dallas Cowboys.
    Source says Tony Romo expecting release, not trade, and believes he can start as #NFL QB 2-3 more seasons despite turning 37, injury history

— Ed Werder (@Edwerderespn) February 16, 2017
    Werder... one of the more plugged in media sources to the Dallas Cowboys, has pointed to the Texans has a potential spot he would like to continue his career.

Werder said the following on ESPNs Sportscenter.

“He (Romo) sees Kansas City as a possibility, sees Denver as a possibility but the team that seems intrigues him the most is the Houston Texans,” Werder stated.

“...which is feasible for a lot of reasons. Pro...”

"..."

There will be questions on whether the Texans, if there is a chance to sign Romo, can afford the 37-year old signal caller. Werder had a quick look at the Texans current cap situation.

“They do have a significant amount of financial..."

If Romo is released by the Cowboys, Werder is clearly laying the groundwork for what would be the story of the off season. This would be the second year in a row that the Texans would be a huge focus of the NFL's off season news.

Click through to see how realistic this might be.
    I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

I'm down tired of seeing 3 and outs every other play I know romo a risk but with this defense wasting it on savage and osweiler would be very annoying u can still take a QB round 2-3 also if u not in it to win it what's the point just to say always next year ?

Comment

Originally posted by TexansWatt99 View Post
      I'm down tired of seeing 3 and outs every other play I know romo a risk but with this defense wasting it on savage and osweiler would be very annoying u can still take a QB round 2-3 also if u not in it to win it what's the point just to say always next year ?
      I'm in for Romo.
      What the Texans need to do is invest heavily in trying to keep him upright.
      O'Brien needs to make sure he creates a lot of play options that allow for quick releases before the defense gets to him and get him a good running game for quick hand offs also to reduce the chances of getting hit.

1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

Please, keep repeating the following: "THE TEXANS DO NOT WANT TONY ROMO!"

As the tag implies, I am trapped in Dallas, but as a result, I get inundated with loads of Cowboys news. Tony Romo has had the benefit of an excellent offensive line and effective running game the past few years, and can't stay healthy. He is best when improvising, and the last thing O'Brian's offense is about is improvising. He will not fit the offense, and if we need someone to hold a clipboard, TJ Yates is probably available. Heck, Vince Young can hold a clip board, and he has the same stats for the 2016 regular season as does Romo.

Spend the money upgrading the offensive line significantly and getting a SS or OLB that can cover the big TEs underneath

Comment

I am also in Dallas, and I say grab him quickly. If the $ is good on a 1-2 year deal....grab him. Does he have potential to get hurt again? Of course. But he also has potential to have the most success of any QB we can get our hands on this offseason. Romo had a good O-line the last two years, yes, but he didn't any year before that....and he was great with a horrible offense around him, and bad defense most of the time.

Romo is good for 250-300 yards per game with 3 TDs and 1 INT. I will take that with this defense any day of the week.

(Keep in mind Ma'homers'....we can still draft one in the same spot we would if we don't bring him in.)

Comment

Originally posted by TrappedinDallas View Post

As the tag implies, I am trapped in Dallas, but as a result, I get inundated with loads of Cowboys news. Tony Romo has had the benefit of an excellent offensive line and effective running game the past few years, and can't stay healthy. He is best when improvising, and the last thing O'Brian's offense is about is improvising. He will not fit the offense, and if we need someone to hold a clipboard, TJ Yates is probably available. Heck, Vince Young can hold a clip board, and he has the same stats for the 2016 regular season as does Romo.

Spend the money upgrading the offensive line significantly and getting a SS or OLB that can cover the big TEs underneath
              If Brock or savage is under center it won't matter how much we upgrade the defense I don't get why Texans want act like this QB room we have is fine especially drafting at 25 none of the QBs that might be ready will be gone It's only so much the defense can do with constant one and outs Romo is and instant improvement easily while u still draft a QB in round 2-3
              U listed upgrading spots that won't even help us score more points since that's what we struggled mostly to do

Comment

and u really listed TJ Yates as if he is better than romo

Comment

Dude, seriously?
                  Romo would be an immediate and substantial upgrade over anything on the roster.
                  It like comparing a Kia with a Cadillac.
                  Any student of the game knows that it is Texans offense that let them down last year - upgrade the offense and the defense receives an immediate boost from not being worn down by the end of games and will get some much needed help on the scoreboard.
                  1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

How a Tony Romo Contract Could Work

Troy Chapman/TexansCap.com
                    Is this May 2012 all over again? If you live in the Houston area and turned on the radio, you likely heard the hosts discussing the need for the Houston Texans to sign star quarterback Tony Romo. The latest media reports list the Houston Texans as a preferred location for Romo, should he be released from his contract in Dallas. This would now be the second time in 5 years that the Texans were the preferred destination for a veteran top tier quarterback. If you recall during the 2012 offseason, Peyton Manning reportedly was very interested in playing for Houston. Ultimately Houston passed on the opportunity and proceed with Matt Schaub; allowing Manning to sign with the Denver Broncos. Nobody truly knows why Houston passed on the Manning situation…whether due to health concerns or the roster moves needed to make it all work. 2012 and this possible situation with Tony Romo are nearly identical. The Texans have a high priced veteran quarterback on the roster with the opportunity to sign another veteran quarterback coming off major injury.

Let’s assume that Dallas does release Tony Romo, making him an unrestricted free agent for the 2017 season. The Texans would have the ability to sign Romo immediately due to his release, versus having to wait until March 9th, 2017. How would the Texans make a contract work within their limited salary cap availability?

If you have been keeping up with the posts here, the initial plans have already been put in place with the release of certain players; as well as contract extensions with two core veteran players. These moves will position the Texans to be able to sign Romo to a fair value contract. Romo is scheduled to earn over $33 million dollars over the next two years, including $14 million in 2017 on his current contract with Dallas. Obviously Houston cannot match that cash flow over the two year period.

Romo’s camp would need to accept...
                    I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

Comment

Guys, you act like Tony is going to call the plays out there. He's not. He did not call the plays in Dallas (Jason Garrett and/or the O-coordinator did), and Super-Conservative Bill O'Brian calls the plays in Houston. And if there is one thing his play calling did, it generated lots of 3rd and Longs, 4th and shorts, and field goal opportunities. Why pay Romo any money when the entire world knows that 95 times out of 100, we will run the ball on first down, 75 times out of a hundred, run the ball on second down, then have to protect him against the blitz when we have run ourselves into an obvious passing situation and we end up dumping the ball off to safety valve who gets tackled 1-2 yards short of the first down? If we had an offense that allowed Romo to improvise, it would be one thing. But we don't have that offense - we have the offense built to be run by a Tom Brady clone. Romo aint that guy. Neither is Mahomes, BTW.

I fully realize that the failure to score points is the biggest problem for the team. But a big part of that was not being able to punch it in inside the red zone. The line needs a significant upgrade for that reason alone. Right now, it could not keep Romo healthy for a full season. Romo can't throw touchdowns from the training room. Spend the money where it might be effective

Comment

Guys, you act like Tony is going to call the plays out there. He's not. He did not call the plays in Dallas (Jason Garrett and/or the O-coordinator did), and Super-Conservative Bill O'Brian calls the plays in Houston. And if there is one thing his play calling did, it generated lots of 3rd and Longs, 4th and shorts, and field goal opportunities. Why pay Romo any money when the entire world knows that 95 times out of 100, we will run the ball on first down, 75 times out of a hundred, run the ball on second down, then have to protect him against the blitz when we have run ourselves into an obvious passing situation and we end up dumping the ball off to safety valve who gets tackled 1-2 yards short of the first down? If we had an offense that allowed Romo to improvise, it would be one thing. But we don't have that offense - we have the offense built to be run by a Tom Brady clone. Romo aint that guy. Neither is Mahomes, BTW.

I fully realize that the failure to score points is the biggest problem for the team. But a big part of that was not being able to punch it in inside the red zone. The line needs a significant upgrade for that reason alone. Right now, it could not keep Romo healthy for a full season. Romo can't throw touchdowns from the training room. Spend the money where it might be effective

There will never be another Tom Brady if this offense so a Tom Brady clone is unlikely goodness man clowney mercilus not gonna be on these cheap deals forever then by that time we gonna have to replace one and be starting again. Obrien offense has been a complete failure if he cannot come up with an offense tailored to a QB strengths he should be fired that offense works for Brady and belichek alone when it comes to QBs being tall with a big arm isn't good enough ala Brock owseiler

Comment

The question of play calling and our feeble offense remains unknowable until we see O'Brien with a real QB. If he had Romo would we suddenly become a real offense? I suspect so. Any coach worth their salt uses the people they have and gets more than you could ever expect out of them. Don Shula and as much as it pains me to admit it...Beli. You can always tell because when that player leaves they suddenly return to being average..... look at pretty much most NE free agents.
                          1. Kelly, C, 2. Henry TE, 3. Shepard WR, 4. Ward DE, 5. Burns, CB, 6. Martinez ILB 7. Hall CB

Comment

I still don't want him. That said, a cap "expert" was on 610am and was talking about what Romo would cost.

Something around 9mil and that is with a signing bouns and his base for 1 season. He said you can extend the bonus over a couple years and then the money comes out around 5-6mil and then if he doesn't work you can cut him and the hit is around 4mil if it's a June 1 cut.

I may have worded that wrong but the idea is for under 10mil you can get him. Barring any issues like he wants a ton more money.
                            JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by TexSid View Post
                              The question of play calling and our feeble offense remains unknowable until we see O'Brien with a real QB. If he had Romo would we suddenly become a real offense? I suspect so. Any coach worth their salt uses the people they have and gets more than you could ever expect out of them. Don Shula and as much as it pains me to admit it...Beli. You can always tell because when that player leaves they suddenly return to being average..... look at pretty much most NE free agents.
                              Fitzy and Hoyer, Keenum and Yates all highly average QBs played their best ball here.

Fitzy admitted as much, and did so after he was already a Jet:
                              O'Brien and Godsey might actually know what they're doing. Consider what New York Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said about them this week.

"I probably learned more about football last year than I had the rest of my career in terms of being able to see the game from a different angle," Fitzpatrick told ESPN New York.

That from a quarterback who was benched last season and traded to the Jets for a conditional seventh-round pick that can become a sixth based on playing time.
                              He could have been bitter, but was grateful. And that was his 10th year in the league, 5th team.

This, of course, doesn't bode well for Osweiler.

As for Romo, he's a West Coast guy who relied on his legs a lot to make plays. Heck, he was injured this last time pulling it down and running. I wouldn't expect him to walk in here and suddenly be a pocket QB.

He's had his best numbers in Decembers... have to wonder, no matter where he goes, if he'll be healthy this December?

Comment

Working...
                              X