Romo + Mahomes= No Brainer!/Most upside at QB in Texans History

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romo + Mahomes= No Brainer!/Most upside at QB in Texans History

Mahomes will go very high with a good combine and pro day. The scouts are liking him for the most part, but they need to see him under center more and maybe a bit better with his footwork. If that happens he could be right up with Mitch for top QB in the draft. They already know that he can throw everything needed and more, read a D, bait D players with his eyes, is accurate, good touch, smart, high football IQ, mobile enough to extend plays or run for a 1st, cheks his reads, goes through progressions, accuracy with touch on most throws, can fit the ball into tight windows with touch, amazing arm strength...his issues are his feet (I would leave the feet alone it works for him) and the gunslinger mentality he has at times.

He is compared to Farve and Rogers with good reason. The gunslinger is Farve and the mobility and everything else is Rogers. This kid is going to be special on a team with a smart HC...OB. Unlike Watson he has not gotten a scouting report saying career backup. Yes, Watson got a few of them and is listed as a 3rd round QB all the way to 5th due to horrific accuracy issues and he can't read a D. Watch some of Williams game tape, the reason he is always diving or turning is a bad throw by...Watson and I saw a 20min video that was all that.
    JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

I like this combo.

​​​​​​Romo/Savage/Mahomes

Cut Osweiler 6/1 or trade him to a QB desperate team for a 2019 7th round pick.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
        I like this combo.

​​​​​​Romo/Savage/Mahomes

Cut Osweiler 6/1 or trade him to a QB desperate team for a 2019 7th round pick.
        Agree, but if tricky Ricky or Bob were responsible for getting him here, they may justify giving him one more year.
        I also am losing hope that Romo comes here and seriously doubt Texans have the clout to snag Garoppolo either.
        Too many dollars against us, as well as draft picks.
        I doubt we get another vet in here ($) so Weeden may have to be it for another year.
        That could mean It's a choice between Osweiler and Weeden, plus Savage, plus rookie.
        I won't be happy if Savage is the fall guy - unless they get at least a high 4th for him. (Might sound high, but he cost a 4th and has NFL experience.)

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post
          Agree, but if tricky Ricky or Bob were responsible for getting him here, they may justify giving him one more year.
          I also am losing hope that Romo comes here and seriously doubt Texans have the clout to snag Garoppolo either.
          I doubt we get another vet in here ($) so Weeden may have to be it for another year.
          That could mean It's a choice between Osweiler and Weeden, plus Savage, plus rookie.
          I won't be happy if Savage is the fall guy - unless they get at least a high 4th for him. (Might sound high, but he cost a 4th and has NFL experience.)
          Your comment is spot on. Like I mentioned in another post, I'd really be bummed if Savage is sent packing for another 1-2 season QB project. This is the only QB Obie drafted and he never had his chance to prove how the development worked out. From what I've seen of Savage's limited chances under center, he would have definitely improve his game with more starting time and a better OL. I feel like Obie has fought an uphill battle to keep Savage around and not draft another QB but for some reason RS and now McNair have blocked this from happening. If this becomes a reality, I only hope that this group (McNair, RS & Obie) can come together on the Mahomes pick.

If the Cowboys cut Romo...maybe they'd be willing to trade for Savage and offer a RD4 or RD5. Wonder what Savage could do in a offensive system like that?

Comment

SmNair won't go after Jimmy G, sadly. McNair won't say it, but he knows he messed up bringing in Brock. Romo is another issue all together. After the Brock Crisis as I call it, I don't think that they will go after Romo either. I'm far from a fan of his, but he is better than Brock and Savage is an unknown. But, he will cost 6mil if lucky and about 9mil to 12mil high end. If he took a deal that was incentive filled and we spread his signing bonus over 2-3 seasons. If he would sign a contract like that, he would cost around 4-5mil and if he got hurt or didn't work out your only out 4-5mil maybe less (bouns only) if you cut him after June 1st next year. Which is much less than Brock and his what 19mil.

The issue is like him or hate him odds are he will only play 8 games and who is the backup? To keep Weeden we would have say 25mil tied up in QBs. To keep Savage on his rookie deal we have about 20mil. I say keep Savage and try to get rid of Brock for a low pick or maybe a desperate team offers a 5th or so, wishful thinking but could happen.

Savage, Weeden and Mahomes going to camp sounds like a good plan. And the cheap and safe method. Seeing Romo is injury prone and Jimmy I don't see SmNair going for after Brock.

Comment

Heard a disturbing breakdown on Mahomes - some pundit said he loves to just take off with the ball and show off throwing on the run. Means he has not really developed as a pocket passer. Same guy really likes Kizer - says he is Andrew Luck lite.

Comment

Heard a disturbing breakdown on Mahomes - some pundit said he loves to just take off with the ball and show off throwing on the run. Means he has not really developed as a pocket passer. Same guy really likes Kizer - says he is Andrew Luck lite.
                That is 150% untrue, Mahomes runs only if he has to. I have seen multiple scouting reports and NFL scouts and executives all say that Mahomes is going to be amazing and in 2-3 seasons the guy other teams wish they had picked. What they probably mean is he can throw on the run and accurately. But only will do it if the play breaks down or it's a boot.

I have watched hours of film on him and when he runs (minus scrambling for a 1st) it's due to the OL breaking down, a boot or escaping pressure. Much like Farve and Rogers he has the ability to extend plays with his legs.

Comment

I see Mahomes as a career backup. I know people are going to give me **** about Mahomes, but I've watched a lot of Texas Tech football, and at times he looks great, but there are so many of those times where NFL caliber DBs would have had interceptions. He extends plays with his feet, and throws the ball up for a big gain. but there were many times where the WR's just out jumped the DB's, or where an NFL DB would have most likely intercepted it. Because he likes to use his feet, he takes too many hard hits. One of those hits knocked him out of one game with a hurt shoulder. Mahomes reminds me of Case Keenum, but I think Keenum would be the better QB if he was taller.

Comment

Originally posted by vtech9 View Post
                    I see Mahomes as a career backup. I know people are going to give me **** about Mahomes, but I've watched a lot of Texas Tech football, and at times he looks great, but there are so many of those times where NFL caliber DBs would have had interceptions. He extends plays with his feet, and throws the ball up for a big gain. but there were many times where the WR's just out jumped the DB's, or where an NFL DB would have most likely intercepted it. Because he likes to use his feet, he takes too many hard hits. One of those hits knocked him out of one game with a hurt shoulder. Mahomes reminds me of Case Keenum, but I think Keenum would be the better QB if he was taller.
                    You must not be watching that much. I have about 16hrs of scouting videos and game film watched and the kid is legit.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

You must not be watching that much. I have about 16hrs of scouting videos and game film watched and the kid is legit.
                      Scouting videos don't show you every play. I'll leave it at that.

Comment

Scouting videos don't show you every play. I'll leave it at that.
                        I also saw him in person 3 times this season and 2 last. You tone the gunslinger down and the kid is a stud. His feet I would not try to drastically fix. He has got it done the way he stands and steps since high school, it works for him, may not for others. Tone it down some at best.

Comment

I also saw him in person 3 times this season and 2 last. You tone the gunslinger down and the kid is a stud. His feet I would not try to drastically fix. He has got it done the way he stands and steps since high school, it works for him, may not for others. Tone it down some at best.
                          I'm not going to deny that he has potential, but there are too many things that need to be fixed for him to be a 1st round pick. How many QB's do you know in that type of system turn out to be NFL stars? Andre Ware? David Klingler? Kevin Kolb? Case Keenum? Graham Harrell? Kliff Kingsbury? Sonny Cumbie? B.J. Symons? Taylor Potts? That's just U of H and TT. How many more? How about all of the Hawaii QB's under June Jones? That system is not known to produce NFL starters, and I see too many things from Mahomes that tells me he fits in with the list above. He doesn't have RG3 talent. He's not even as good as Johnny football. Colt McCoy? Maybe.

Comment

He doesn't have RG3 talent. He's not even as good as Johnny football. Colt McCoy? Maybe.
                            Nobody has the physical talent RG3 had. He was a world class hurdler.

Mahomes is miles better than Manziel and Colt as a prospect.

Mahomes shows some tendencies to do what Manziel did on nearly every play.

Mahomes meets size average for NFL QBs and he's as easy a thrower of the ball as I've seen in quite some time.

But yeah, the system is a hindrance.

I also saw him in person 3 times this season and 2 last...
                            Texas Tech alumnus?
                            If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Comment

then you want a rookie starting then because romo will be on the ir

Comment

Working...
                              X