Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erikca View Post
    then you want a rookie starting then because romo will be on the ir
    No, I don't want Romp at all. I want Savage, Weeden and a rookie (Mahomes)
    In a perfect world
    Jimmy G, Weeden, rookie (Mahomes)

The reason no Savage in option 2, NE would give us Jimmy for #25 or seeing Hoodie liked Savage in the draft...include Savage and our 2nd round pick. Might do it. Then the perfect deal: Trade
    JJo and Savage for Jimmy
    Draft Mahomes at 25 but he will go early if he has no combine or pro day issues. Meaning package something to move up to the 15-20 range to land him.
    Sign Weeden as the backup and to keep the odds of Mahomes from needing to play lower
    Cut Brock or see if we can get a 6th or 7th for him (somebody who runs a system like Denver uses may give a 5th...stupidity)

Now we have 2 QBs who know the system and Mahomes to groom. Worst situation Jimmy doesn't work and we let him go and Mahomes battles Weeden year 2 for starter. Best case, Jimmy plays great and you have Mahomes (cheaply rookie deal) as a tradable QB who should get a good pick.

McNair and Smith will mess it up, but still nice to imagine.
    JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

id take this QB room over the one we have any day of the week i feel like a casual fan could put a better QB room together than this franchise sadly. Giving brock that contract was the most idiotic thing this team has done in its 15 year existence

Comment

Originally posted by TexansWatt99 View Post
        id take this QB room over the one we have any day of the week i feel like a casual fan could put a better QB room together than this franchise sadly. Giving brock that contract was the most idiotic thing this team has done in its 15 year existence
        Thanks Bob McNair for that one. He saw a QB with a decent w/l record and young and had Smith get him
        JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Mahomes looked very inconsistent at the combine. To be honest, Trubisky was the only one that did look consistent. From what I saw, Seth Russell or CJ Beatherd would be better options later in the draft. If Mahomes can be had with our pick in the 2nd, go for it, but not with our 1st round pick. A 1st round pick should be ready to start right away, and I just don't see Mahomes being ready for that. As far as Romo goes, I still say no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by vtech9 View Post
            Mahomes looked very inconsistent at the combine. To be honest, Trubisky was the only one that did look consistent. From what I saw, Seth Russell or CJ Beatherd would be better options later in the draft. If Mahomes can be had with our pick in the 2nd, go for it, but not with our 1st round pick. A 1st round pick should be ready to start right away, and I just don't see Mahomes being ready for that. As far as Romo goes, I still say no thanks.
            Mahomes looked very well in his drop backs and mechanics for someone who is just learning how to operate from under center. most scouts agreed as well. Beatherd looked like someone who is just learning how to drop back even though he has been doing it for years at Iowa.

as far as the notion of if you are a first rounder you need to start right away. do you think the Packers regret drafting rodgers in the first, and letting him sit and develop?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post

Mahomes looked very well in his drop backs and mechanics for someone who is just learning how to operate from under center. most scouts agreed as well. Beatherd looked like someone who is just learning how to drop back even though he has been doing it for years at Iowa.

as far as the notion of if you are a first rounder you need to start right away. do you think the Packers regret drafting rodgers in the first, and letting him sit and develop?
              Drafting someone and letting him sit to learn the playbook for a few games after training camp is one of thing, but I think the notion of "letting someone sit to develop"' is being proven as a pointless strategy. Brock's scouting report is similar to Mahomes and both prospects were supposed to have these ridiculously high ceilings if they "sit and develop". You don't get experience throwing on air or in non contact drills. Brock sat 4 years behind one of the greatest and look how that turned out. I think Rodgers would've been great even if he didn't sit. You also have QBs that walk in day 1 and perform well.

As for Mahomes they say "his footwork and mechanics are poor but it's never failed him before". He's also never been under center, never ran a pro style, always ran a gimmick quick hit offense with stat boosting run after catches. He doesn't have to make reads, doesn't have to let routes develop, he played in a quick hit, high completion percentage offense with dink and dunks, screens, and then home run balls. It's like analytics but for football. I don't see anything from him that says he's better than deshaun Watson, Mitch, or even kizer. Right now I would say he's tied with Davis Webb as the 4th or 5th best QB. Maybe you take him round 2. If you can't get one of those top 3 I would look harder at Mike Glennon in free agency, or sign romo and then wait till next year for a QB, and beef up the OL this year in the first, then try to add Desmond king in the 2nd, who is an exact mold of Devin mccourtey. Then back to OL/DLRB/DB in the 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by vtech9 View Post

I'm not going to deny that he has potential, but there are too many things that need to be fixed for him to be a 1st round pick. How many QB's do you know in that type of system turn out to be NFL stars? Andre Ware? David Klingler? Kevin Kolb? Case Keenum? Graham Harrell? Kliff Kingsbury? Sonny Cumbie? B.J. Symons? Taylor Potts? That's just U of H and TT. How many more? How about all of the Hawaii QB's under June Jones? That system is not known to produce NFL starters, and I see too many things from Mahomes that tells me he fits in with the list above. He doesn't have RG3 talent. He's not even as good as Johnny football. Colt McCoy? Maybe.
                I'm going to have to agree with you wholeheartedly here. That system is just too simplistic. It's not that the guys they draft don't have talent, there's just no opportunity to learn, they're so far behind the 8 ball to the point where they'll never catch up.

Comment

I am in favor of Romo and a whole lot of Lineman in this draft. Cut Brock Next year.
                  THE Anti troll

Comment

Romo, when not hurt, always choked, so his upside is not higher than re-signing Brian Hoyer. But Romo has only played 5 games in the last 2 years, so he probably won't even play long enough to get a chance to choke in the playoffs. Mahomes looks like a pretty loose cannon, not as pro-ready or as smart as Savage was when drafted. If Garappolo only costs $1.3 million for next year (before he becomes a free agent) plus a couple draft picks, our QB roster would have more upside.

Comment

Working...
                    X