Compensatory picks driving Texans Free Agency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compensatory picks driving Texans Free Agency

This year's goal appears to be to sacrifice our free agents in order to recover from the Brock debacle by accumulating as many 2018 compensatory picks as possible -- so I'm not expecting free agent signings until May 9th, after which signings don't count against teams in the compensatory draft picks formula...
    Only certain players qualify for the compensatory formula:

In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which ends the second Tuesday after the draft); if he signs after June 1[*], he must have been tendered a June 1 qualifying offer by his old team; his compensatory value or contract value must be above a specific minimum amount; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team.
    Excerpt updated from The Basics and Methodology of Projecting the NFLís Compensatory Draft Picks

The second Tuesday after this year's draft is May 9th, 2017.

So the Osweiler signing can be viewed as costing us... a season... Bouye, Simon, Demps, Don Jones... and not signing competitive replacements for them... draft picks that will have to be used to hopefully fill those unexpected holes... and $21M.

I don't have a problem with being somewhat passive in free agency.

Not keeping Bouye goes against our core organizational philosophy of keeping your good young players.
    Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

My $.02..
    Demps' replacement is already on the roster. I think Pleasant is a very similar player to Demps and I believe Balentine / KJ Dillon have come in for him in the past, both have potential.

With John Simon, I feel like we're looking more to replace his attitude and work ethic than we are his skill set. I don't think we'll have issues finding someone as atheletic or strong as Simon, we'll just need to do our homework and find someone willing to play that role. His replacement may be on the roster, but I don't think we'll have issues finding someone to take on that role late in free agency if it comes to it.

I completely agree on Bouye!

Does signing a RT interfere with with a comp pick we may or may not receive for these players?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post
      Does signing a RT interfere with with a comp pick we may or may not receive for these players?
      Signing anybody before May 9 will be subject to compensatory pick equation.
      Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

Signing anybody before May 9 will be subject to compensatory pick equation.
        Sadly, because minus depth players anyone good will be gone. With the exception of perhaps someone who was hurt last season and teams are waiting till the top FAs sign so that they can make a deal that might be cheaper due to "we have to evaluate the players injury" type situation.
        JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

I'm not expecting free agent signings until May 9th, after which signings don't count against teams in the compensatory draft picks formula...

Excerpt updated from The Basics and Methodology of Projecting the NFL’s Compensatory Draft Picks
          Only certain players qualify for the compensatory formula:

In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which ends the second Tuesday after the draft); if he signs after June 1[*], he must have been tendered a June 1 qualifying offer by his old team; his compensatory value or contract value must be above a specific minimum amount; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team.
          The second Tuesday after this year's draft is May 9th, 2017.
          Expect some action on/after May 9th.

Comment

You seem to be on your A game, recently.

Called this one from get-go.

At least I will have something somewhat interesting going on that week.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
              You seem to be on your A game, recently.

Called this one from get-go.
              Somebody else pointed this out, I forgot who as 3/24 seems like years ago.

I just repeated/posted someone else's observation... I think it was The General?

Comment

nice bump on info and explains why we were the only team not to do anything in FA other than lose players.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprtsfanatic View Post
                  nice bump on info and explains why we were the only team not to do anything in FA other than lose players.
                  Well put .... even better, immediately following a big swig of vinegar !!!
                  "I disapprove of what you say, I will however, defend to the death, your right to say it!" -
                  Voltaire

Comment

Not keeping Bouye goes against our core organizational philosophy of keeping your good young players.

I disagree with this, besides Foster (who was great at the time) the only young players they have invested in have been higher draft picks (say round 1 to 3). Look at Ben Jones, he was a 4th round draft pick, a good young player, and was loved in the locker room but they let him walk too. Bouye was a undrafted free agent and the cost was just to high (in their eyes) to keep him. Not saying I agree with letting him walk.

Comment

What compensatory picks do y'all think that we'll get for the FAs we lost?

I think a 3rd for Bouye, and 2 5th for Simon and Demps.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_tuff View Post
                        I disagree with this, besides Foster (who was great at the time) the only young players they have invested in have been higher draft picks (say round 1 to 3). Look at Ben Jones, he was a 4th round draft pick, a good young player, and was loved in the locker room but they let him walk too. Bouye was a undrafted free agent and the cost was just to high (in their eyes) to keep him. Not saying I agree with letting him walk.
                        There is a disconnect between what they say and do sometimes, but Rick Smith has stated many, many times that our core organizational philosophy is to develop and keep our own good younger players.

Comment

Even if this was driving their FA plans, wouldn't an established FA, who is good, better than a draft pick? We can't even trade comp picks, so we can't use them to move up next year into the 2nd or 1st round. Unless we got multiple 3rd rounds for all the FAs we lost, which probably isn't going to happen then this was dumb.

There are no viable FAs left for any position. So this strategy is mind boggling to me.

Comment

Originally posted by djl3485 View Post
                            Even if this was driving their FA plans, wouldn't an established FA, who is good, better than a draft pick? We can't even trade comp picks, so we can't use them to move up next year into the 2nd or 1st round. Unless we got multiple 3rd rounds for all the FAs we lost, which probably isn't going to happen then this was dumb.

There are no viable FAs left for any position. So this strategy is mind boggling to me.
                            I still agree -- not the way I'd have gone. But comp picks can be traded.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...k-trading-2017

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post

I still agree -- not the way I'd have gone. But comp picks can be traded.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...k-trading-2017
                              A didn't realized they changed. But my comment still stands, unless we get multiple 3rd round comps then this strategy was dumb,

Comment

Working...
                              X