X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre Johnson to be inducted into Texans Ring Of Honor

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
    Titans WR Andre Johnson is retiring today, per source

Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
    Along with JJ Watt, Andre Johnson and Arian Foster are the 3 greatest players in Texans history. LT Duane Brown is fourth.

Andre Johnson's retirement comes a week after another Texans great, RB Arian Foster, retired from the Dolphins.

Andre Johnson's retirement ends the greatest career in Texans 15 year history.

Andre Johnson has 9 catches for 85 yards and two touchdowns in limited role with Titans.

Andre Johnson left Texans for Colts last year and signed with Titans this season. He's been coming off the bench for the 4-4 Titans.

Andre Johnson is one of two greatest players in Texans history with JJ Watt. This is his 14th season, his first with Titans.
    Spotrac @spotrac
    Top Earning Wide Receivers Larry Fitzgerald: $140M Calvin Johnson: $113M Andre Johnson: $106M Randy Moss: $82M Steve Smith: $81M

WR Andre Johnson steps away from the game having earned $106M across 13+ seasons w/ the #Texans, #Colts, & #Titans.

Former Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson retired from the Tennessee Titans today, ending the career of one of the greatest players in NFL history at his position.

Johnson, 35, had nine catches for 85 yards and two touchdowns with the Titans, who are 4-4 in the AFC South and one game behind the Texans.

Johnson, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection, was the Texans' first-round pick in 2003, the third overall pick in the draft. He had five seasons with at least 100 catches and seven with at least 1,100 yards.

Johnson's most prolific season was 2012 when he helped the Texans finish 12-4 and win the AFC South. That season, he had 112 receptions for 1,598 yards.

In his 14 seasons, Johnson caught 1,062 passes for 14,185 yards and 70 touchdowns.
    Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Hope they retire his number. Too bad he never got double digit td's.

Comment

Comment

Kevin Cooper ‏@kevincooper44
          #AndreJohnson reminds us our heroes can't play forever so we should appreciate their greatness while we have it. #tipofthecap my friend.

#AndreJohnson is what is right with the NFL & this country as a whole. His impact in Houston puts him in the top 5 ever to play in this town

For what the public saw on the field, he was 100-times the man. He's kind, giving & hands down the most caring athlete I've ever known.

#AndreJohnson was the best with the media. He always made time & answered every questions. He knew it was part of his job & he did it well.

#AndreJohnson gave his all to the city of Houston. He sacrificed a lot to help build the #Texans. He worked, played hurt & never complained.

I worked with the #Texans for 14 years I've seen them all & I can say there was no player more professional & respected than @johnson80.

Comment

Great career and a great man. Enjoy your retirement Andre. you earned it.
            ~Your Weekly Game Thread Creator~

GO TEXANS!!!

Comment

Texans GoaT Retire the number ! He earned it . What could he have done with a better QB and another good WR. across from him ? Hop came to late . One word CLASS !!

Comment

AJ could do everything.

He could run past you -- I know the Texans clocked him at 4.37 in the 40.

He could body you.

He could out-jump you.

He regularly beat double-teams.

And sometimes he'd just go all bull on you and your friends...

Comment

I hope we extend a 1 day offer so he can retire as a Texan as it should be. I think retiring numbers is dumb, but if ever there was a deserving guy/number to be retired, he is the only one.
                  Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
                  TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                    AJ could do everything.

He could run past you -- I know the Texans clocked him at 4.37 in the 40.

He could body you.

He could out-jump you.

He regularly beat double-teams.

And sometimes he'd just go all bull on you and your friends...

That is my 2nd favorite Andre Johnson highlight. My first is when he opened a can of whoopass on Finnegan.

I hope he is the first to be honored by the Texan organization. Class act.

Have a nice life Andre.

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post
                      I hope we extend a 1 day offer so he can retire as a Texan as it should be. I think retiring numbers is dumb, but if ever there was a deserving guy/number to be retired, he is the only one.
                      I doubt that will be possible since he wasn't released by the Titans.
                      https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post

I doubt that will be possible since he wasn't released by the Titans.
                        I hope he doesn't want to retire a Titan. lol
                        Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
                        TexansCap.com

Comment

Will You Remember Andre Johnson?

Yesterday afternoon, Andre Johnson walked away from the NFL. It’s the second such abrupt retirement by a one-time star of the Houston Texans who was living out the twilight of his career with a downtrodden franchise, and like Arian Foster, Johnson was, at best, a bit player on his new team in Tennessee. He hadn’t caught a pass in the last three games, and on the season had hauled in only nine passes, on 23 targets, for 85 yards and two touchdowns. It was as good a time as ever to go.

Johnson leaves the sport with a perplexing legacy. He is undoubtedly one of the most successful receivers of all-time, ranking in the top 10 in career receptions and receiving yards. But among that elite class of pass-catchers—which includes Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, etc.—Johnson has to be the least celebrated. Far from being a national superstar, Johnson may only be a “household name” in Houston, where he played for 12 seasons, and perhaps Miami, where he starred in college.

He had the specific misfortune of being selected third overall by Houston in the 2003 NFL Draft, just one season after the fledging franchise was birthed. He played his first four seasons catching passes from David Carr, then his next seven from Matt Schaub. It would be nine years until Johnson ever appeared in a playoff game with the team, and in the two seasons he did, the Texans never advanced past the second round. So Johnson was a superstar playing off-Broadway for a decade, but even that doesn’t quite explain his relative anonymity—Foster was an instant national presence for the Texans, to say nothing of J.J. Watt. How does a man dominate a game and still feel like a ghost?

One explanation might simply be a lack of touchdowns. Despite amassing the ninth-most receptions and 10th-most receiving yards of all-time, Johnson only tallied 70 touchdowns over his 14-year career, an average of just five per season. Scoring was the best way to get Chris Berman to shoot spittle in all directions on Sunday nights, and Johnson’s highlights stayed much drier than those of his contemporaries.

Perhaps it’s also that in an era of receivers with personalities fit for Hollywood—Moss, Owens, Steve Smith, Chad Ochocinco—Johnson appears to have just gone about his business as an excellent wide receiver. For better or worse, he did not draw attention to himself, and playing for an easily ignored franchise, there was no easy way to “brand” him. Harrison, for instance, was as workmanlike as a modern receiving legend could ever be, but even he had a lauded connection with his superstar-in-arms, Peyton Manning.

So, what was Andre Johnson good at? This highlight video of his best game—a 14-catch, 273-yard performance against the Jaguars in 2012, in which he scored the game-winning touchdown in overtime—shows that he could be both a possession receiver and game-breaker, using his size to move the chains over the middle and his speed to blow the roof off the defense.

At 6-foot-3 and north of 225 pounds, Johnson was exactly what you would want in a big receiver. When he did catch touchdowns, he used his body in the end zone like a basketball player. This well-circulated GIF of him bouncing off three Arizona Cardinals shows the sheer overwhelming power of his physicality. That it’s rendered as low-res as a third-division Greek basketball prospect’s highlight tape feels oddly appropriate:

Johnson is unique in that he played two archetypes at once. He simply got the job done, but you’d also be mistaken to assume he wasn’t a freak of nature. He starred at the University of Miami at a time when the program churned out future NFL legends as efficiently as a Ford plant, and no player from that era looked more like a man amongst boys than the towering receiver streaking down the sidelines. In the Canes’ 2001 destruction of Nebraska in the Rose Bowl, Johnson was simply uncoverable, throwing poor Cornhusker corners around like they were action figures.

His ability to be the physically freakish burner and the workmanlike chain-mover at the same time is exactly what made Johnson so great, but that’s probably why it’s so hard to remember him as a true superstar. If you think of Randy Moss, you picture him chasing down a 60-yard pass with three defenders trailing behind him. Think about Marvin Harrison and you see a technician executing a perfect curl route. What do you see when you think of Andre Johnson?

Well, you probably see him punching the **** out of Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan. The weirdest thing about Johnson is the incongruity of his personality with what is inarguably the most memorable moment of his NFL career, when, just three days after Thanksgiving in 2010, Johnson and Finnegan staged a boxing match just outside the left hash. If three men had been sitting at a table with scorecards, they would have awarded Johnson a TKO.

Playing receiver in the NFL is about catharsis. You run around forever, mostly for no reason. So when the ball gets thrown your way you better do something with it. This is why T.O. desecrated the Dallas star, Moss mooned Green Bay, and Smith acted out full movie scenes in the end zone. Andre Johnson’s moment of ultimate catharsis was beating the crap out of Cortland Finnegan. I can’t quite square that with the rest of his career, but I bet it felt pretty **** good.
                          Last edited by H2O4me; 04-18-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...n-10510712.php

"To the city of Houston and the most incredible fans on earth, I simply end this journey by saying, Houston is my destination, I am coming home and will always be a Texan." - Andre Johnson

$ In Bill We Trust &

Comment

Andre Johnson ajohnson1500
                              Thank you for all your text messages, post, and phones calls in the pass few days.Also to the city that raised me, Miami thank you for all your love and support. It's been a fun ride. #texans#teameighty

Overused, but fitting...
                              Last edited by H2O4me; 11-02-2016, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X