Clear All

Houston Texans @HoustonTexans
    WR Andre Johnson is the @HoustonTexans all-time leader in:
    Receptions (1,012)
    Receiving yards (13,597)
    Receiving TDs (64)
    100-yd games (51)
    #ThankYouAndre
    WR Andre Johnson set multiple single-season @HoustonTexans records, including:

Rec. (115 in 2008)
    Rec. yds (1,598 in 2012)
    Last edited by H2O4me; 04-19-2017, 11:10 AM.
    Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Andre Johnson will retire a Texan, but will he be a Hall of Famer?

ESPN
      HOUSTON -- The Houston Texans don't have any numbers retired or a ring of honor for former players yet, but one day, Andre Johnson's No. 80 will likely be visible somewhere at NRG Stadium. Johnson left Houston after the 2014 season, and since then, the No. 80 hasn't been assigned. There's a good chance it never will again.

Because the Texans played their first season in 2002, they don't have a player in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. There's a chance that Johnson could become the first. The former All-Pro receiver will sign a one-day contract to retire as a member of the Texans on Wednesday.

After Johnson announced his retirement during the 2016 season, current Texans receiver DeAndre Hopkins, who played one season with Johnson in 2014, was asked if he thought the seven-time Pro Bowl selection is a Hall of Famer. Hopkins said simply, "In everybody's mind, not just mine."

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said he thought Johnson will "go down as one of the best receivers to ever play the game."

But what are Johnson's Hall of Fame chances?

Johnson has huge numbers; he's the Texans' all-time receiving leader and -- including his season with the Indianapolis Colts and half-season with the Tennessee Titans -- he finished his career with 1,062 catches for 14,185 yards -- both good for 11th all-time. He also had 70 touchdowns.

But, just having the numbers may not be enough right away. Johnson will likely come into the voting with Steve Smith -- 12th in receptions and seventh all-time in yards -- and possibly Anquan Boldin and Reggie Wayne, who is 10th in both receptions and yards.

Because receivers of this era will all have such impressive receiving statistics during what was a pass-first league, with rules favoring offensive players, there will likely be many players who are voted into the final 15 for the Hall of Fame. Often, when there are multiple players at the same position up for induction at the same time, they cancel each other out, thus making it tougher to advance in the voting.

This was the case when receivers Tim Brown, Andre Reed and Marvin Harrison all came through at once. All eventually made it into the Hall of Fame, but they had to wait far longer than many expected.

Of the 12 receivers who had more than 14,000 receiving yards in their career and are eligible for the Hall of Fame, Terrell Owens and Bruce Isaac have not been voted in. Owens was passed over for the Hall of Fame for the second consecutive year in February.

Receiver is not typically a position where a team's performance affects a player's Hall of Fame chances -- as is the case at quarterback or for a head coach -- but players are often judged by how they perform in those bigger games. Unfortunately for Johnson, the Texans only made the playoffs twice in his 12 seasons in Houston, and he only played in four playoff games, never advancing past the divisional round.

Johnson's statistics cement his status as one of the best receivers in NFL history, and along with three-time Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt, he is likely considered one of the two best Texans ever.

The former University of Miami standout is a strong candidate for the Hall of Fame, but he is going to be eligible at a difficult time for his position due to all the wide receivers who will have similarly big numbers. If Johnson does make it into Canton, it likely won't be right away.

​​​​​​​Book it.
      Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

E:60, November 2010...

Comment

Aaron Wilson‏ @AaronWilson_NFL
          Rick Smith said Texans plan to recognize Andre Johnson at a game this fall

Andre Johnson on his advice 'Do it the right way, put the work in, that's what I tried to instill in the younger guys'

Andre Johnson 'my career ends here'

Andre Johnson challenges his former teammates to win the championship he didn't during an illustrious career 'It would mean the world to me'

Andre Johnson 'Even when I left here and was with the Colts and the Titans, my heart never left this place. It's the nature of the business'

DeAndre Hopkins, Jaelen Strong among those at Andre Johnson press conference, including his longtime agent Kennard McGuire. Packed house

Andre Johnson to his teammates 'I would give anything to go back to battle with you guys. great memories, the good times and the bad times'

Andre Johnson 'the only regret I have is not bringing this organization a championships'

Andre Johnson to his mother 'I love you.' Wipes tears away. 'I didn't think I would be up here crying, you're closing a chapter'

Andre Johnson 'the city of Houston embraced me. I would like to thank the McNair family for drafting me.'

Andre Johnson very emotional thanks his mother, takes moment to compose himself 'everything I did on that field I did because of you'

Rick Smith on Andre Johnson as he retires a Texan on one-day deal: 'His greatness goes beyond the stats'

Andre Johnson as he retires as a Texan, Cal McNair says: 'We're happy to have you back at NRG Stadium where you belong'

J.J. Watt, Alfred Blue, Tom Savage, Bill O'Brien, Whitney Mercilus, Jadeveon Clowney at Andre Johnson retirement press conference
          Mark Berman‏ @MarkBermanFox26
          Andre Johnson with a wonderful thank u to #Texans fans

Andre Johnson: "My heart never left this place." #Texans

Andre Johnson says his one regret is not leading the #Texans to a world championship.

Rick Smith says he doesn't have a vote but if he did he'd vote Andre Johnson into the Hall of Fame. #Texans

A very emotional Andre Johnson thanks the Texans and his mother, especially his mother. #Texans

Andre Johnson signs one-day #Texans contract

Rick Smith: "Andre Johnson chose to be great." Smith says Johnson set the bar for every #Texans player to be measured by."

A number of players have arrived for the Andre Johnson news conference including JJ Watt, Jadeveon Clowney and Tom Savage. #Texans

Bill O'Brien is at the news conference to honor Andre Johnson (@johnson80) #Texans

#Texans about to honor Andre Johnson (@johnson80). He'll sign a one-day contract and officially retire as a Texan
          John McClain‏ @McClain_on_NFL
          Johnson "I didn't play to be measured against anybody. I just played to win."

Rick Smith said Andre Johnson will be honored at a game this season and that team still working out the details.

Media waiting for Andre Johnson to sign his one-day contract so he can officially retire as a Texan.
          patrick @PatDStat
          Derek Newton even made it the retirement of Dre.

ďA simple handshake or hug can change peopleís lives.Ē Andre Johnson #Texans

Texans will honor Andre Johnson this fall. Discussions are ongoing. #Texans

Dre says his phone is open but just no money. lol

ďI have come home to retire. I know that is what you wanted.Ē Andre Johnson to the fans. #Texans

ďI really couldnít even sleep last nightÖ.just the memories..Ē Andre Johnson #Texans

Johnson says he is challenging the current team to win a ring. Said he wants one too. #Texans

Dre says that he will miss J.J. Watt chasing him down trying to make him fumble during practice.

Dre says that Johnathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson made him a better player. #Texans

Dre says he snuck back on the field after a lung contusion. Playing for the #Texans was that important to him.

ďI wanted to do everything to put this organization on the map.Ē Andre Johnson. #Texans

First time ever to see Andre come strong like that. Good stuff there talking about his Mom, Uncle and his life growing up.

ďI played the game very angry because of the way I grew up.Ē Andre Johnson. #texans

ďEverything I did on that field was because of you.Ē Andre Johnson to his mother, Karen. #Texans

ďI hope I pleased you guys the way I played the game.Ē Andre Johnson to the McNair family. #Texans
          Houston Texans‏ @HoustonTexans
          Johnson: "I just wanted to play to win. Whatever I had to do to win. If I had to put the team on my back, I'd do it."

Johnson on Hall of Fame: "I haven't thought five years down the road. If it happens, it'd be a very exciting time."

Johnson said 1st playoff win (Jan, 2012) was most memorable moment.

Andre Johnson gets standing ovation when he finishes his statement: "My career ends here." #ThankYouAndre #Texans

Johnson: "My career ends here. Very excited to come back home."

Johnson: "Also want to say thank you to the fans. The love has been amazing. I came home, and I retired."

Johnson: "Even when I was with the Colts and the Titans, my heart never left this place."

"I'm going to be rooting for you guys. I get to be a fan now."-Johnson when talking to his former Texans teammates.

Johnson: "To my teammates, I love you guys... Those are memories I'll never forget."

"The only regret I have is not helping this organization a world championship."-Andre Johnson

Johnson: "I always liked to be the underdog. I did everything I could to put this organization on the map."

Johnson on his mom: "Everything I did on that field was because of you. Thank you for your advice, thank you for your love." #ThankYouAndre

Andre Johnson just signed his 1-day deal to retire as a Texan.

Started by thanking his mom, the McNair family, City of Houston.

Johnson: "The city of Houston embraced me. They welcomed me with open arms. I'm very thankful for that."

Andre Johnson: "I'm so thankful. There are so many people who have helped me along the way."

Rick Smith says one of his favorite highlights of Andre was 4th quarter TD vs. Miami in 2008. "Changed our season." #ThankYouAndre #Texans

GM Rick Smith: "Andre Johnson was a great football player. His greatness goes beyond his stats, beyond his memorable moments."

Simply the best. #ThankYouAndre

Among other community outreach, WR @johnson80 has supported Houston Area Womenís Center & Child Protective Services.

Johnson's foundation has donated > $400k to support programs & organizations to empower youth from single-parent homes.

He was without question the greatest offensive force in team history, and everyone knew it. #ThankYouAndre

Comment

Check out WR Andre Johnson (@johnson80) today at 4:45 pm CT on @nflnetwork with @AndrewSiciliano on #UpTotheMinute

Comment

A lot of people don't know but I played... I played the game of football very angry.

And the reason I played that way was because of where I grew up.

I just never wanted to go back to living that lifestyle again.

A very emotional Andre: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...7-36349ad5d930
              Last edited by H2O4me; 04-19-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Would have been nice to see Gary Kubiak in attendance for Dre's retirement.

$ In Bill We Trust &

Comment

Andre Johnson retirement presser

VICE CHAIRMAN AND CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER D. CAL MCNAIR

Opening Statement

ďOn behalf of the McNair family and the Houston Texans organization, I would like to thank everyone for joining us today. I am honored to welcome home, Andre Johnson. We are happy to have you back here at NRG Stadium - right where you belong. I believe everyone in this room knows how much of an impact Andre Johnson has made on the football field over the course of his tremendous career. Throughout his 12 seasons with the Texans, Andre broke records at the wide receiver position that are still unmatched today. Fortunately for my family and the entire organization, we know Andre not only as an incredible football player, but also as an unbelievable person. His unwavering commitment to the community makes him the epitome of the type of player we strive for. Andre, thank you. Thank you for all that you have done and continue to do for the Houston Texans and for the City of Houston. You will forever hold a special place in the Texans family. If everyone could now turn their attention to the TV screens, weíre going to take a look back on Andreís unforgettable career. Congratulations and welcome home.Ē

EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS AND GENERAL MANAGER RICK SMITH

Opening Statement

ďGreatness. Greatness. Greatness is often measured by moments of significance. Big moments. Athletes that strive and produce in those moments of huge importance are often labeled as great. ĎThat was a great play he made.í ĎWhat a great game he played.í ĎHe was a great player.í ĎWhat a great career that guy had.í Andre Johnson was a great football player. Yeah, we could point to the stats Ė and I have them all here. Theyíre impressive when you look at them. The franchiseís all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards Ė over 13,000 receiving yards, 13,597. Career receiving touchdowns. Yeah, heís got 51 career 100-yard games. Numerous individual game records. Numerous records on the football field. I could point to his activity in the community and the Andre Johnson Foundation that he founded back in 2003 and the over $400,000 of funds that heís raised in the community or the Playbook for Success program that he started. There are all kinds of things that I could tell you that would define greatness, but his greatness in the context of what Iím describing goes beyond the stats. It goes beyond those memorable moments that we just saw on the video Ė and Iíve got my own. We all have our own, right? Iíve got two that come to mind. The first of which is back in 2008 and weíre 0-4 and itís the fourth quarter and itís fourth down. Itís what everybody in the stadium knows to be an interception that you (Andre Johnson) just took the ball away from the defender against the Miami Dolphins and totally changed our season, saved our season. I think about that moment for me. I think about a moment thatís a little bit more personal a couple years later as I grew up in Virginia. We didnít have a pro football team so the closest thing was a team in (Washington) D.C., so we go to play that game and itís overtime and we win that game. I still have a picture of you on my wall in my office of you when you caught that touchdown and the safety has his helmet in his hands because he just couldnít believe it. Great moments for sure. Iím sure you have yours. But itís not the moments or your moments that define why this man is who he is to this organization and to this city. I read a quote in my meditative reading yesterday, and it said, ĎGreatness isnít for the chosen few. Greatness is for the few that choose.í Andre Johnson chose to be great. He chose to show up every day and work the way he did. He chose to work the way in every meeting, every practice. He chose to lead, he chose to follow. He chose to represent this organization, this city, his family and himself in a way that every other player who wears our uniform will be measured by. I had the chance to be around a couple of wide receivers at the end of their careers or toward the end of their careers. Hall of Fame wide receivers. Two of them are in the Hall of Fame now. Jerry Rice and Andre Reed. Those two men, I watched them work. I watched them come in the building every day, I watched them go to meetings, I watched them on the practice field, I watched them mentor young players, just like I watched this guy do the same type of thing. I donít have a vote, but in five years I would vote Ďyes.í I would vote Ďyes.í Congratulations on a great career, man. Right now we are happily going to sign Andre to a contract that Mr. (Kennard) McGuire and I have successfully negotiated. Contrary to what has been said, this is an actual NFL player contract for the 2017 season. Congratulations.Ē

WR ANDRE JOHNSON

Opening Statement

ďďWell first of all, I would like to thank everyone for coming out. I wasnít expecting this to be this big, but there are so many people I can thank throughout my career. I have been playing this game of football since I was six years old. So many people have affected me throughout my journey throughout this game. Iím very thankful to them for that. I can go back to Little League coaches, elementary teachers, high school coaches and so many people along the way that have helped me.

When I was drafted here in 2003, I really didnít know what to expect. I was coming to a new city. I had been in Miami my whole life. Just didnít really know what to expect. All I knew was that I was coming here to play football and the City of Houston embraced me. They embraced me like no other. They welcomed me with open arms, and Iím very thankful for that.

I would like to thank the McNair family for drafting me in 2003. What you guys have done for me and my family has completely changed our lives, so Iím very thankful to you guys for that. I hope that I pleased you guys with the way I played the game.

Also, I would like to thank my mom. Everything that I did on that field was because of you.

A lot of people donít know, but when I played the game of football I played the game very angry, and the reason I played that way was just because of where I grew up. I just never wanted to go back to living that lifestyle again. So, seeing the sacrifices you made. I remember when youíd be falling asleep coming to pick me up from night school. It was just tough times that we experienced as a family that I never want to experience again. So, Iím very thankful to you for that.

To my uncle, Andre, you pretty much played the father figure for me. Ever since I was a little kid, I really had no male figure to go to, and youíve been there with me every step of the way. I thank you for your advice. I thank you for your love. Even at times when I felt like I had nobody to talk to, I could always come to you. So, Iím very thankful to you for that and I love you.

Now that I got that out of the way. I didnít think Iíd be up here crying, but I donít know, itís just a feeling you get, you know, just being up here and knowing youíre closing a chapter Ė something that youíve done for a long time. But, when I was drafted here I really didnít know what to expect. Coming to a new franchise. I remember the commercials with David Carr having no O-line. I was just like, ĎMan, what is this that Iím walking into?í

But, when I got here, I just came in and I took the challenge. I always like to be the underdog. I took the challenge and I just wanted to do everything I could to put this organization on the map. The only regret I have is not helping this organization win a World Championship.

But, other than that, I just tried to give the organization everything I could whether it was playing injured Ė you were going to have to drag me off the field in order for me not to play. I remember having a lung contusion and sneaking back out on the field when they tried to still take my helmet away from me. It was that important to me. It was that important for me to help put this organization where I wanted it to be, and it meant that much to me.

To my teammates, you know I love you guys. I would give anything to go back on the field with you guys, to go back to battle with you guys. Those were some of the best Ė those are memories Iíll never forget. The good times and the bad times. Battling in games, times when we were out Ė people counted us out and we proved everybody wrong. Winning our first playoff game against Cincinnati. It took us a little while but we finally got it done.

Just competing. Competing against J-Jo (Johnathan Joseph) and Kareem (Jackson) and all the other guys. You guys made me better. I looked forward to going against you guys every day. J.J. (Watt) running me down, punching the ball out. Just competing every day. It was so much fun, and those things that you experience over your career, those are the things you never forget. You canít get those things back.

This game is so special because you have guys that come from different backgrounds, different places, that all come together for one common goal. Thatís why they say football is the greatest sport, because you have to have all 11 guys on the same page. You just canít have like one guy in basketball go out and score 80 points or a guy in baseball can hit four or five home runs. You have to have all 11 guys on the same page. So, Iím very thankful to you guys just for your hard work, your dedication and just helping me to help this organization get to where it wants to be. But, Iím going to challenge you guys because I couldnít help this organization get the World Championship. So, I want you guys to help me get me a ring. So, Iím going to be rooting for you guys.

You know, I get to be a fan now. Even when I left here Ė when I was with the Colts and the Titans Ė my heart never left this place. I could never imagine myself wearing a Colts or a Titans uniform, but it happened. Thatís the nature of this business. It is what it is. Like I said, itís the nature of the business. It happened and weíve moved on from it.

But, to be back here today is very special. Itís a great feeling. Driving in this morning, I had so many things running through my mind. I really couldnít even sleep last night. I was kind of tossing and turning a little bit just thinking about the memories of just being here for games and things that have happened and spending time with your teammates and things like that. Those are the things, like I said, you donít get back. Thatís the big adjustment now for me with my retirement.

Iíd also like to thank the guys that donít get much recognition. Mike Parson, the equipment guys, Geoff Kaplan, Roland (Ramirez), the trainers. Those are the guys who helped me day in and day out to make sure my body was prepared Ė that I could go out and compete at a high level. So, Iíd like to thank you guys also.

Iíd also like to say thank you to the fans. The love that Iíve been getting has been amazing. Iíve came home and Iíve retired, and I know thatís what you guys have wanted. Itís finally done. Iím very excited about it. IĎll still be here in the City of Houston.

To my teammates, Iím here for any phone calls or anything you guys need. Iím here for you. Donít call me about no money. But anything you guys need, man, Iím here for you. Iím an open book. Like I said, Iím going to be rooting for you guys. I want to see you guys accomplish that ultimate goal. It would mean the world to me to see you guys do that.

With that being said, thank you to everyone that came out for this event. Itís been a great honor. My career ends here, so Iím very excited I was able to come back home to Houston and do it. Thank you.Ē

QUESTIONS

Do you have a great moment or game that sticks out in your mind?

Andre Johnson: ďWe were talking about that earlier. It would be the game when we won our first playoff game. Thatís probably like one of the best feelings in the world because we waited so long to get to that one and accomplish it. The first one against Cincinnati.Ē

What are some of the things you tried to pass on to younger players that you set the example for?

Andre Johnson: ďI think the biggest thing is just doing it the right way. Coming to work every day, putting in the work. You just donít go out on Sundays and just play and put up the numbers by just showing up. You have to put the work in. You have to make sure youíre on the same page with your quarterback, with your teammates. Thatís what I just tried to instill in the younger guys when I was playing.Ē

What does it mean to you to have your former teammates here supporting you?

Andre Johnson: ďIt means a lot. Like I said, this is what you get in the locker room, the comradery, you donít really get that from the outside. These are the guys that I was around every day, working out with, on the field battling to win games. You develop a comradery thatís unmatched. Itís something I guess I really canít put into words but you have to be in the locker room and go through it to really understand it.Ē

You will be eligible for the Hall of Fame in five years. How important is that to you and have you started thinking about it yet?

Andre Johnson: ďPeople have mentioned it to me but I havenít thought five years down the road. But if it happens, itíll be a very exciting time.Ē

Have you guys thought about how you will honor Andre Johnson during the season? Will you retire his jersey or put him in a ĎRing of Honorí?

Rick Smith: ďWeíre having those conversations. We are absolutely planning to have something in the fall for Andre to recognize him at one of the games this fall.Ē

What advice could you give to the younger players to get to where you are today?

Andre Johnson: ďWell, I would tell them, any high school player, to take advantage of your opportunity. Use your resources around you: your teachers and people like the faculty and staff that are there. I always tell people because with me going to college, I was kind of battling my senior year to make sure that I had the right GPA and things like that. So, I would tell them not to procrastinate and get started on it early. As far as the college level, just play football. Make sure your grades and things are right, you know, because weíre a student-athlete first. Just keep working. I think thatís the biggest thing that got me to where I was at. Me working was the most important thing. I would never let anything else get in the way of what I wanted to accomplish. You know, I would never let anybody else distract me from my goal. I had a goal in my mind and I was going to accomplish it no matter what. No friend, nobody could distract me from that.Ē

Will you continue work with the Andre Johnson Foundation and why was it so important for you to be a part of the community?

Andre Johnson: ďI always said if I ever made it that I Ė you just never forget where you come from. So, I felt like playing here in the City of Houston, you know, people get to see you on TV but they never get to see you in person. So, to be out there interacting with them and doing things for them, it gives people hope. You know, you never know what people are going through in life. You never know what kind of day theyíre having. You know, a simple handshake or a hug can change somebodyís life. So, thatís what I choose to do and Iíll continue to do.Ē

What did it mean to you when Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager Rick Smith said that you will be what they measure every Texans player by?

Andre Johnson: ďI donít know. When I played I didnít do it to be measured up against anybody. I just wanted to play and win and I just wanted to do whatever I had to do to win. Thatís what I was going to do. I know itís a team game but if I had to put the team on my back, then I was going to do that. It didnít matter what it took. I just wanted to win, and thatís just the way that I approached the game.Ē

Comment

Is the godfather implying anything here: "Contrary to what has been said, this is an actual NFL player contract for the 2017 season. Congratulations.Ē
                    Religion, it's the process of worshipping the messenger and ignoring the message.

Comment

Originally posted by cuppacoffee View Post
                      Is the godfather implying anything here: "Contrary to what has been said, this is an actual NFL player contract for the 2017 season. Congratulations.”
                      I don't think anything of importance, somebody somewhere probably made off hand comment about a fake contract or the like.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                        I don't think anything of importance, somebody somewhere probably made off hand comment about a fake contract or the like.

You're probably right, I just thought it was a strange comment..
                        Religion, it's the process of worshipping the messenger and ignoring the message.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                          Fantastic, Johnson was an incredible player who earned everyone's respect. He symbolized the Texan character, I salute him and wish him well

Comment

Corgrats to Andre for being the first HoFer to squander his talent for this second rate organization...Next up, JJ watt.
                            2016 pre-draft prediction...7-9

Comment

What a Class Act...The City of Houston and Texans fans around the world could not have asked for a better idol and character to represent their city, organization, and to player root for.

Welcome Home Andre! You were truly missed

Comment

Andre is my favorite player of all time, came down here and put this team on his back and gave it a fire. Crazy underrated because he didn't run his mouth all the time, just showed up and did his job and fought for my team for 12 years. I doubt he even gets in the Hall of Fame, we will probably watch inferior receivers make it in before he does because he played his entire career for a team nobody even knows existed before JJ Watt came along. I like the idea mentioned earlier in this thread of building a statue of him outside the front of NRG, he will always be the original Houston Texan to me. I was pissed when they got rid of him, even in his old age he would have been better player than Nate Washington, Cecil Shorts III, Will Fuller, or Braxton Miller were these last two years. He should have REALLY retired as a Texan. Seeing him in Titans uniform last year made my stomach turn.
                                Last edited by OG 2002; 04-24-2017, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X