Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duane Brown

Duane Brown voted Ed Block Courage winner

HOUSTON - The Houston Texans have selected T Duane Brown as the 2016 Ed Block Courage Award winner. Recipients are selected by a vote of their teammates to recognize extra efforts both on and off the field and their ability to overcome great adversity.

Brown tore his quadriceps tendon in last year's regular-season finale against the Jacksonville Jaguars and was forced to undergo surgery to repair the injury in early January 2016. The nine-year NFL veteran rehabbed the surgically repaired leg for nearly nine months before returning to the field this season against the Minnesota Vikings in Week 5.

Brown, a three-time Pro Bowler, has been a dominant player on the left side of the line for the Texans since his return. The former first-round pick has helped the Texans rush for over 100 yards in eight of the last nine games. Brown also hasn’t allowed a sack this season and has been called for holding just one time. In his entire career, Brown has been called for holding just seven times in 130 total starts. Houston has had a 1,000-yard rusher in six-of-nine seasons with Brown on the team as Lamar Miller became the third different running back to do it in 2016.

“Duane had to endure a rigorous rehab to overcome such a significant injury, but he remained consistent and committed through the highs and lows of the process,” said Director of Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer Geoff Kaplan. “Through his hard work, determination, perseverance and incredible work ethic, Duane has returned to his dominant form and continues to be the leader of the Texans offensive line.”
    Houston Texans @HoustonTexans
    T @DuaneBrown76 tore his quadriceps tendon in Wk17 last year but hasn’t allowed a sack or been called for holding once in 2016
    The Ed Block Courage Award honors NFL players who exemplify commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage. Brown joins past Texans winners DE Jadeveon Clowney (2015), G David Quessenberry (2014), ILB Brian Cushing (2013), QB Matt Schaub (2012), LB DeMeco Ryans (2011), TE Joel Dreessen (2010), LB Zac Diles (2009), WR Harry Williams (2008), DE Anthony Weaver (2007), LB Kailee Wong (2006), WR Jabar Gaffney (2005), DT Seth Payne (2004), CB Aaron Glenn (2003) and CB Jason Bell (2002). He will be recognized at the 39th annual Ed Block Courage Awards in March.

Since 1984, the Ed Block Courage Award annually honors one player from every NFL team who exemplifies commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage. The Ed Block Courage Award has become one of the most prestigious awards a player can receive because no other national football award is chosen solely by a vote of his peers. Winners travel to Baltimore to receive their trophy at a gala in their honor and to visit the Ed Block Courage House. The Courage House is a facility that provides support and quality care for abused children and their families in the community. Block was the longtime head athletic trainer for the old Baltimore Colts, who in addition to being a pioneer in athletic training, was passionate about causes helping children.

HOUSTON'S ED BLOCK COURAGE AWARD WINNERS:
    2016 T Duane Brown
    2015 DE Jadeveon Clowney
    2014 G David Quessenberry
    2013 ILB Brian Cushing
    2012 QB Matt Schaub
    2011 ILB DeMeco Ryans
    2010 TE Joel Dreessen
    2009 LB Zac Diles
    2008 WR Harry Williams
    2007 DE Anthony Weaver
    2006 LB Kailee Wong
    2005 WR Jabar Gaffney
    2004 DT Seth Payne
    2003 CB Aaron Glenn
    2002 CB Jason Bell

If you're not following the Astros, you are doing Houston sports wrong.

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
    John McClain @McClain_on_NFL Jan 13 2016
    Duane Brown suffered torn tendon in his right quadriceps.

Pretty darn amazing comeback by Duane from an injury many, especially older, players never meaningfully return from.

Comment

I had me doubts about him after the first 2 games but he has steadily gotten back to form. Pretty impressive. Not an injury a lot of guys come back from and play at a high level.
      Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
      TexansCap.com

Comment

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
        OT Duane Brown not at #Texans OTA today. OTAs not mandatory.

Duane not happy w/ his contract.

Due $9.65 million this year, $9.75 next season
        patrick @PatDStat
        No surprise with the Duane Brown news. Zero guaranteed money left on his current deal plus the contracts given to OTs on a weak FA market.
        Last edited by H2O4me; 05-23-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Brown is on the wrong side of his career. He might have 2 more good seasons in him. So why trip on money now. Im all for getting your money but 9 mill is no chump change for an aging LT.
          sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

I was going to start this thread but had a feeling H2O4me already started it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
              Brown is on the wrong side of his career. He might have 2 more good seasons in him. So why trip on money now. Im all for getting your money but 9 mill is no chump change for an aging LT.
              He knows it's now or never. He has the team over a barrel right now. Yeah, 9 mil seems real good to me. lol I'll bet we see an incentive laden contract if they decide to wheel and deal. I wonder how long he will hold out?
              Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
              TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post

He knows it's now or never. He has the team over a barrel right now. Yeah, 9 mil seems real good to me. lol I'll bet we see an incentive laden contract if they decide to wheel and deal. I wonder how long he will hold out?
                He should move to G till he hangs it up. I think a report was out on the Texans site talking about it. Only question then is who plays LT?

Congrats to Brown!
                JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post

Yes he do. They didn't address that position in the draft. And Brown is like, checkmate ".

I'm guessing whenever Rick breaks bread. Lol
                  sigpic

Comment

He's under contract for the next 2 years...he can cry all he wants but if he doesnt end this hold out he'll start getting fined and if he doesnt think 9.6 mil is enough...wait till he has to start paying the fines..then we'll see how he feels about giving away his money.

He really has no leverage so I find it funny that some of yall actually think he has ground to stand on.

You got your big pay day when you were playing at an elite level big man...that time is over and the huge part of your guaranteed money making days are over...you have another 20mil coming ur way over the next 2 years....I would be surprised if the Texans even flinched at this "hold out"...they have all the leverage in this ordeal.

Comment

I don't think the amount is what is bothering him, it's the $0 guaranteed that's the problem.
                      sigpic

Comment

He certainly didnt have a problem when he signed his deal and had all that guaranteed money up front...u didnt hear the organization complaining about all the guaranteed $ they gave him...you didnt hear them cry about giving him that much money and him getting hurt and not playing at an elite level all the time...they are called contracts for a reason

Comment

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/stor...wn-holding-out
                          Brownís final two years of his deal are set to pay him $9.65 million in 2017 and $9.750 million in 2018, but the kicker is that these last two years contain ZERO guaranteed money. This means Brown would have to go through OTAs, mandatory mini-camp, training camp, and the preseason -- where injury risk remains high -- before his contract becomes fully guaranteed...

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
                            He has leverage as the best OT on a team that needs linemen. He will get a restructure sooner rather than later.

Comment

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL
                              Duane Brown has an annual $250,000 base salary de-escalator clause in his contract if he fails to complete enough offseason workouts

Comment

Working...
                              X