Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Do You Think The "BRAINTRUST" Plans To Play At RIGHT OFFENSIVE TACKLE?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Optimistic View Post

I would like to see the following positions addressed in RD1 thru RD3.

I would be very satisfied if the Texans could land 2 of these OT's:

Bolles, Garcia or Holden
    I'm not opposed to that, but I would take any of the top 3 OTs in the 1st round. Another OLineman that I wouldn't mind having is Ethan Pocic. Pocic played Center at LSU, but is really too tall to play center in the NFL. I think he can develop into a good backup for every OL position, and maybe even a starter at one.

Comment

TEXANS come to terms with former JETS OT BRENO GIACOMINI

LOUIE BENJAMIN | ProFootballFocus
      • Over the past two years, both new Texans T Breno Giacomini and current Texans T Chris Clark were below the league average in pass block efficiency for offensive tackles.
      • During the five weeks in which Giacomini started for the New York Jets in 2016, he allowed four sacks, tied for the most during that time period. He finished 2016 with a 44.3 PFF overall grade on 266 snaps played.
      • In 2015, Giacomini’s last season as a full time starter, he allowed 54 total QB pressures which was tied for the fifth most during the season among offensive tackles.
      • In 2016, Clark allowed 67 total QB pressures, most of all offensive tackles in the NFL. His PFF overall grade of 37.0 ranked him 73rd out of 78 qualified tackles.

PFF doesn't appear to be very optimistic about our RT plans as it relates to QB health.
      In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Originally posted by hasbeen View Post
        I hope this has not been asked quite as specifically before. We mention the topic often, and in a variety of ways. If it has been addressed this precisely, I apologize. There are no wrong answers !
        It could come down to just Giacomini - to see how he goes. Martin and Mancz could have a competition but with Mancz being so good at C, I personally wouldn't want to change that - the line was not terrible last season as many in the league were worse so BG at RT with Martin as a swing at G, (C), and RT. Shouldn't be too bad with another season under their belts. Better play at QB and RB should help the line.
        1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
          TEXANS come to terms with former JETS OT BRENO GIACOMINI

LOUIE BENJAMIN | ProFootballFocus

PFF doesn't appear to be very optimistic about our RT plans as it relates to QB health.
          Isn't he kinda a waste? I thought he was pretty much on the scrap pile of OL players that the Jets had/have
          JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

I expect a surprise or two.

We have Nick/Mancz at center XSF at left guard and Brown at LT. I would not be surprised to see a Guard or TE lining up at the RT position from time to time. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a short yardage NT from the defensive side near the goal line. But if we leave a player on the sideline who is better and more determined while the label is left on the field, I'll be disappointed.
            https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

'Texans may have found their starting right tackle'
              http://torotimes.com/2017/05/23/hous...-right-tackle/

McClains comments hold the most weight.

Comment

Quessenberry maybe??

Comment

Originally posted by 281Texan View Post
                  Quessenberry maybe??
                  Sounds like Lamm has the job unless someone can beat him out. But when McClain indicates he is playing amazing and just looks like the starter...hard to say he is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

Sounds like Lamm has the job unless someone can beat him out. But when McClain indicates he is playing amazing and just looks like the starter...hard to say he is wrong.
                    Playing amazing..it's day 2 of OTA's. We haven't even put pads on yet..What exactly is he seeing?? Not attacking you, just trying to justify what McClain is saying. I honestly don't like him as a reporter.

Comment

McCain loves football. Of course he is excited about seeing the guys working out. But 281 is right,,,we need to take the outstanding practice talk with a grain of sand. Let's hope Lamm has been working on his game, we could sure use a good RT. I'd settle for an OK RT right now. We may need him to play LT if Brown holds out.

is it grain of sand or grain of salt? you guys know what I mean
                      Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
                      TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by 281Texan View Post
                        Playing amazing..it's day 2 of OTA's. We haven't even put pads on yet..What exactly is he seeing??
                        You are correct, no pads = zero insight into OL play.

John doesn't know anything about football, so if he is pumping all of that sunshine it's because somebody who does know something about football told him something.
                        In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post
                          McCain loves football. Of course he is excited about seeing the guys working out. But 281 is right,,,we need to take the outstanding practice talk with a grain of sand. Let's hope Lamm has been working on his game, we could sure use a good RT. I'd settle for an OK RT right now. We may need him to play LT if Brown holds out.

is it grain of sand or grain of salt? you guys know what I mean
                          I would put Lamm at LT and move Brown to G. That leaves RT again as a hole. But I think Brown at this point in his career is a so/so LT but could be a very good G.

I think McClain is talking about this year and last about Lamm. Who knows, rare McClain says something just because. Maybe he has heard about something planned.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

I would put Lamm at LT and move Brown to G. That leaves RT again as a hole. But I think Brown at this point in his career is a so/so LT but could be a very good G.

I think McClain is talking about this year and last about Lamm. Who knows, rare McClain says something just because. Maybe he has heard about something planned.
                            I don't know about that for me. Brown was actually playing at pro bowl level last year late. I mean, he was gettin it out there. The last thing I want to see is Lamm and Clark at tackles. Maybe that is the ultimate plan to get rid of Savage so Watson can get in there?
                            Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
                            TexansCap.com

Comment

Putting Brown at one guard position would be ludicrous. He was performing at a elite level thus the reason why he's holding out in hopes of getting paid.

I don't think Breno will pan out. So hopefully Lamm will continue to improve. He did show some potential last season.

Clark needs to be cut ASAP. Dude is garbage.

If Lamm doesn't pan out, I am hoping the rook will be ready around weak 6. I believe he's going to be a monster for years to come. Maybe he could replace Brown in a few years.

Im inclined to agree with Aussiedave about keeping Mancz at the center spot. But I have a feeling Martin will get the nod.

Allen job is on the line. He's needs to stay healthy and perform like he did in KC. If not Mancz will take on that position.

Filo came on strong towards the end but his job is on the line as well. Q will be in the wings ready to take over that position.

If we stay healthy, I believe we will see a lot of improvement from this Oline. We will finally have the depth to really compete.
                              sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
                                Putting Brown at one guard position would be ludicrous. He was performing at a elite level thus the reason why he's holding out in hopes of getting paid. I don't think Breno will pan out. So hopefully Lamm will continue to improve. He did show some potential last season. Clark needs to be cut ASAP. Dude is garbage. If Lamm doesn't pan out, I am hoping the rook will be ready around weak 6. I believe he's going to be a monster for years to come. Maybe he could replace Brown in a few years. Im inclined to agree with Aussiedave about keeping Mancz at the center spot. But I have a feeling Martin will get the nod. Allen job is on the line. He's needs to stay healthy and perform like he did in KC. If not Mancz will take on that position. Filo came on strong towards the end but his job is on the line as well. Q will be in the wings ready to take over that position. If we stay healthy, I believe we will see a lot of improvement from this Oline. We will finally have the depth to really compete.
                                I agree this statement. Count me as another who hopes Mancz stays put at C and Martin takes the starting RG spot. I'm also ok with an all out battle for the starting C spot between Mancz and Martin. This would almost set the OL early on: LT- Brown LG- Su'a-Filo OC- Mancz or Martin RG- Martin or Mancz RT- ??? If Allen is completely healthy, of course he'd be in competition at RG but I'd prefer to put him in the mix at RT since I've read somewhere that he's had some experience at RT. Giacomini is a veteran RT who hopefully shows up wanting to prove he still has value even if it turns out to be on depth chart and more as a mentor. McClain has over exaggerated Lamm's impressive showing during unpadded OTA'a Day 1 but I would be extremely impressed if Lamm's arrival on the scene could be contributed to the necessary time needed to transition from Appalachian State to the NFL. If he hits his stride like Mancz did last season, then that would be 2 excellent finds in the UDFA market. Talented guys who just needed that extra time to transition. Davenport would fall into the same pot as Mancz and Lamm...has all the physical and mental attributes but could need just a little time to make the adjustments. The difference between them is Davenport was drafted and therefore will need to be on the 53- Man Roster since he'd probably be snatched up if exposed on the PS. Maybe there really is a starting RT hiding in this group. If this right side gets figured out...it should be fairly exciting to see how diverse Obie's play calling could be knowing his right side is ready to contribute on a much higher level than the last couple of seasons. Another item that brings some optimism...depth on the OL might be a-ok if everyone arrives at the start of the Pre-Season schedule healthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X