Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texans 2017 Off-season Workout Programs (OTAs, Mandatory Minicamp)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texans 2017 Off-season Workout Programs (OTAs, Mandatory Minicamp)

First Day: April 17

OTA Offseason Workouts: May 22-23, May 25, May 30-31, June 1, June 5-6, June 8-9

Mandatory Minicamp: June 13-15

Voluntary offseason workout programs are intended to provide training, teaching and physical conditioning for players. The calendar for 2017 is below.

As per Article 21 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, each club’s official, voluntary nine-week offseason program is conducted in three phases:

Phase One consists of the first two weeks of the program with activities limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only.

Phase Two consists of the next three weeks of the program. On-field workouts may include individual player instruction and drills as well as team practice conducted on a “separates” basis. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.

Phase Three consists of the next four weeks of the program. Teams may conduct a total of 10 days of organized team practice activity, or “OTAs”. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.

Article 22 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement stipulates that clubs may hold one mandatory minicamp for veteran players. This minicamp, noted below, must occur during Phase Three of the offseason program.

New head coaches are entitled to conduct an additional voluntary veteran minicamp. Any voluntary minicamp for veteran players must be conducted prior to the NFL Draft (April 27-29), but no earlier than week three of the club’s offseason workout program and after at least one week of the two weeks of Phase One activities that the clubs may hold pursuant to Article 21. This year, five clubs will hold voluntary veteran minicamps.

Each club may hold a rookie football development program for a period of seven weeks, which in 2017 may begin on May 15. During this period, no activities may be held on weekends, with the exception of one post-NFL Draft rookie minicamp, which may be conducted on either the first or second weekend following the draft. The dates of each club’s post-draft rookie minicamps will be circulated at a later date.
    I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

Texans 2017 Offseason Schedule

This month, the Texans begin their fourth offseason workout program under head coach Bill O’Brien. Players return to NRG Stadium on April 17 for the start of the nine-week voluntary offseason program.

Here are other important dates on the 2017 offseason schedule:

April 17: Offseason workouts begin

April 17-21: Offseason workouts (Phase 1, Week 1)

April 24-28: Offseason workouts (Phase 1, Week 2)

May 1-5: Offseason workouts (Phase 2, Week 3)

May 8-12: Offseason workouts (Phase 2, Week 4)

May 12-14 Three-day rookie minicamp

May 15-19: Offseason workouts (Phase 2, Week 5)

May 22: Start of OTAs (organized team activities)

May 22-May 23, May 25: OTA #1, 2, 3 (Phase 3, Week 6)

May 30-31, June 1: OTA #4, 5, 6 (Phase 3, Week 7)

June 5-6, June 8-9: OTA #7, 8, 9, 10 (Phase 3, Week 8)

June 13-15: Mandatory Minicamp (Phase 3, Week 9). This is the only portion of offseason workout program that is mandatory.

Phase One consists of the first two weeks of the program with activities limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only.

Phase Two consists of the next three weeks of the program. On-field workouts may include individual player instruction and drills as well as team practice conducted on a "separates" basis. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.

Phase Three consists of the next four weeks of the program. Teams may conduct a total of 10 days of OTA activity. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted.
    I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
      Texans 2017 Offseason Schedule

April 17: Offseason workouts begin
      OTAs tomorrow, and we're hosting some QB prospects at the same time. Building will be buzzing, some show and tell.

Comment

OTAs tomorrow, and we're hosting some QB prospects at the same time. Building will be buzzing, some show and tell.
        I hope so.

Can we assume that OB has narrowed it down to 2 QB's?

Watson and Mahomes?

Comment

Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post

Watson and Mahomes?
          First we have to wonder who's making the decision on QB if it's in the first. If Rick is planning on firing Billy, or Billy is going to move on to another job, would you want your soon to be ex-coach choosing the next coach's QB? Does that make sense? But... will Rick ever take responsibility for putting his name on a high pick QB? Has been unwilling to do so in the past.

To your question, I don't think so. They've done work on all of the QBs during draft process, as have most other teams. It's been less talked about in the media is all. Teams like the QBs much more than media types.

Right now I think McClain's guess makes most sense -- if top 3 QBs are gone Texans look to OT.

Problem is, I think top 3 QBs are gonzo and can see top 3 OTs gone as well unless we trade up a bit. But 3 QBs and 3 OTs will be pushing some very good defensive prospects down to us, so we may not be able to pass one up.

Notable shift this year from Ricks extensively planned and executed rumor -- true and false -- leaks plan. Texans trying much harder to keep things buttoned up. Interesting shift. Will see what drops from now to draft.

This is the time when teams have pretty much finished setting their draft boards, and now the phone lines will be burning up across the nation discussing potential draft trades. Always a huge volume of action on each first rounder -- like half the league or more on every single pick. It's wild and sometimes haphazard. Gets moreso on the clock, too.
          Last edited by H2O4me; 1 week ago.

Comment

John McClain‏ @McClain_on_NFL
            Hopkins is praising the heck out of Savage. They've worked together a lot on and off the field.

Hopkins "As long as we win, I don't care whose name is on the back of his jersey."

Hopkins on what he likes about Savage "I'll tell you what I don't like. When I went to his house last week, he didn't have any Blue Moon."

Hopkins on Savage "He knows this system better than anybody. He throws a good ball. We've developed chemistry."

Savage said it's going 2b a "fun and peaceful (QB room)." He didn't mention specifics, but we know O'Brien and Osweiler had a lot of blowups.

Savage "It's going to be a fun and peaceful (QB) room." Interesting.

Savage "We're going to play fast and have some fun. The one thing I can say to Texans fans is dont doubt the guys in the locker room."

Savage on OBrien "I love the guy. He's hard on you, and that's what I want. I want to be coached."

Savage "Hopefully, this is the last time we talk about injuries. I've gone over each one. I could have avoided (a couple) with experience."

Savage "Communication (with receivers) is going to be key. We've got to have fun and be on the same page."

Savage "I'm not really worried about the naysayer. They can draft whoever they want. I play for the people who believe in me."

Savage on last year of his contract "I don't think about the money. It's a heck of an opportunity, but I've only started two games."

We have interviews with Savage, Watt, Hopkins and OL David Quessenberry, who finished chemo treatment last week. 3 tough years.
            Aaron Wilson‏ @AaronWilson_NFL
            DeAndre Hopkins asked about DeShaun Watson visit, said they haven't spoke, but: 'I'm pretty sure he would like to throw me the football.'

DeAndre Hopkins on DeShaun Watson visiting: 'I'm a Clemson guy, so I'm a little biased. Wherever he goes, he'll do fine.'

DeAndre Hopkins: 'I try to follow the Jerry Rice routine. I do hills.'

DeAndre Hopkins on Tom Savage: 'He throws a good ball. He knows this offense. He knows where to put the ball where it needs to be.'

DeAndre Hopkins on Bill O'Brien defending how he played last season: 'A down season? It's a team sport. I did my job.'

DeAndre Hopkins on Tom Savage: 'The kid is a go-getter. He doesn't quit. He hustled. He was out there being a leader.'

DeAndre Hopkins on Tom Savage: 'What I don't like I went to his house last week and he didn't have Blue Moon.' Draws laughter

DeAndre Hopkins on his contract if anything's new: 'Not that I know of. '
            J.J. Watt on David Quessenberry: "It's incredible. He's a special guy. He's an absolute inspiration. DQ would run through a wall for you.

J.J. Watt: 'You can never fake confidence. You can't BS yourself.'

J.J. Watt on T.J. Watt: 'He's so similar to me. He's farther along than me at that time. He's a really special player.'

J.J. Watt: 'I've had time for the passion to grow. I've learned a lot that I need to not get overly crazy in the offseason.'

J.J. Watt called Patrick Beverley "The Wolverine.'

J.J. Watt on Patrick Beverley staring him down at Rockets game, (smiling) said his girlfriend said it was cool and awkward. Laughed

J.J. Watt on Rockets' Patrick Beverley: 'Pat's the man. The guy was absolutely killing it. His intensity is the best.'

J.J. Watt: 'It's going to be a lot of fun.'

J.J. Watt on watching Jadeveon Clowney: 'It was good, lot of fun to watch, he played very well.'

J.J. Watt on progress: 'My body feels really good. I'm looking forward to getting back to playing football. I can't wait.'

J.J. Watt: 'It felt really good. It's so nice to be back in meetings, back in the swing of things.'
            David Quessenberry on if he still has that nasty streak after beating cancer: 'Yeah, it's still there.'

David Quessenberry said he's lighter than his old playing weight, working to regain strength and bulk

David Quessenberry said Bill O'Brien recognized him today in team meeting, showed video of him ringing the bell.

David Quessenberry on wanting to throw a block again: 'I can't wait. It's going to be feel beautiful.'

David Quessenberry acknowledged plenty of times he wondered if he would ever play again: 'Your body is an amazing thing'

David Quessenberry: 'This is organization has had my back since Day One. That's something that's rare to find. That's very special.'

David Quessenberry: 'I'm definitely not the same person, probably physically and mentally. I came out stronger.'

David Quessenberry: 'My family, my faith, my belief there's a bigger picture here, there's more to the story.'

David Quessenberry: 'We're in uncharted territory. I feel great.'

David Quessenberry: 'It feels amazing. We're not talking about the next treatment. We're talking about the next phase.'

David Quessenberry; 'It was a long fight. I was pretty excited to ring that bell.'
            Tom Savage struck a confident, but humble tone during his first press conference of the offseason. Very excited and eager for opportunity

Tom Savage on new quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan, very personable, bonded with him a lot last season, 'going to be a fun room, peaceful room'

Tom Savage on J.J. Watt return: 'Just protect the ball, because he's going to get it back for you.'

Tom Savage: 'I bounced around a lot in college. I think that journey made me who I am'

Tom Savage on Texans coach Bill O'Brien: 'I love the guy. He's hard on you. That's what I want. I want to be coached.'

Tom Savage on getting the first-string reps this offseason: "It's going to be awesome. I've never gotten that opportunity.'

Tom Savage: 'I'll never expect to be the starter.' Said he'll prepare as if he's the third-stringer trying to make the team.

Tom Savage: 'Just being in this system, this is my fourth year, it's going to be fun.'

Tom Savage on Brock Osweiler trade and Tony Romo not coming here: 'It's a business, but this is a job. And it's a heck of a job.'

Tom Savage: 'I'm very confident that I'll be available.'

Tom Savage: 'I'm not Michael Vick. I shouldn't be rolling around trying to make a play.'

Tom Savage on durability: 'Hopefully, this is the last time we talk about the injuries. A lot of them can be avoided with experience.'

Tom Savage: 'I'm going to go out there and play for everyone in that locker room and everybody that believes in me.'

Tom Savage: 'I've played two games. I have a lot to prove. This is a heck of an opportunity.'
            Drew Dougherty‏ @DoughertyDrew
            Hopkins: For offseason I try to follow the Jerry Rice routine, run hills. I'm a WR not a bodybuilder.

WR DeAndre Hopkins now at the podium. Said Tom Savage is a go-getter, doesn't quit. Is a leader despite lack of experience as a starter.

Watt: I've been working out w/brothers T.J. & Derek for last couple of months. T.J. is farther along than I was at that point in process.

Watt: DC Mike Vrabel is very, very qualified. Brilliant coach who knows what he's doing. Big bonus is we still have Romeo Crennel on staff.

"Pat's the man. I love that guy."-J.J. Watt on Rockets' G Pat Beverley. "He's like a wolverine out there."

Watt: Clowney was a lot of fun to watch, and D as a whole was fun to watch. It's exciting to come back to a unit like this one.

J.J. Watt at the podium. Felt great to be back in bldg & around teammates. I feel very good physically.

"Yeah, it's still there."-Quessenberry on if his 'nasty streak' on the field left during cancer treatments.

"We'll continue to crush these workouts and see what happens."-Quessenberry on getting back to playing weight..

DQ: Having support from Houstonians in fight vs. cancer has been big to his recovery. This is a special City, a special place.

David Quessenberry is happy to be done w/chemo & focused on football.

Savage and Weeden will be working with new QB coach Sean Ryan this year. Ryan served as WR coach in 2016. #Texans

Savage: goal is to move the ball and get it into end zone. Everybody knows that was something we need to do better.

O-lineman David Quessenberry is headed to the podium now.

Tom Savage went back and watched all of his injuries during his NFL career. Said he’s learned injuries can be avoided with experience.

Savage: I'll never 'expect' to be the starter, whether I'm a backup, a 5th-yr starter, etc.

Savage: This is my 4th yr in system, longest time in same offense in my life. We need to play fast, protect the ball.

"I can't wait to get out there and get crackin'."-Tom Savage on the opportunity in front of him.

Savage: communication will be key this year. Had a few of the pass-catchers over recently and we hung out.

Savage: goal is to move the ball and get it into end zone. Everybody knows that was something we need to do better.

Tom Savage at podium. "I have a lot to go out there and prove, and this is a heck of an opportunity."
            patrick‏ @PatDStat
            “I am pretty sure he would like to throw me the football.” DeAndre Hopkins on Deshaun Watson. #Texans #Clemson

"I am a Clemson guy so I am a little biased.” Hopkins on Deshaun Watson. #Texans

“I asked Andre (Johnson) if he follows the draft. He said “no" so I do not follow the draft either.” DeAndre Hopkins #Texans

Hopkins points out that Braxton Miller and Will Fuller have put work in during the off-season. Can tell when they started working today.

DeAndre Hopkins said he is mad at Tom Savage because when he went to his house there were no Blue Moons. #Texans

“Not that I know of. I am focused on making this team better. I am still under contact.” DeAndre Hopkins on any new news on his contract.

.@JJWatt on work ethic and putting in the time off the field: "You can't bulls#% yourself"

Watt says being away from the game reaffirms how much he loves the game. #Texans

“I just want to get back to playing football.” J.J. Watt #Texans

“My body feels really good.” J.J. Watt. #Texans

J.J. Watt said the #Rockets shirt from last night was too small.

Quessenberry was asked if he still has a nasty streak. “Yeah, it is still there.”

Q said that he can play all five positions on the offensive line. Where they want to put him is up to the coaches.

Q said that Bill O’Brien showed the team of him ringing the bell. Q speaking pretty highly of OB. Speaks of his wisdom he has given him.

Q says it has been 1,050 days since his last time on the field. #Texans

“This organization has had my back since day one. That alone it something rare to find.” David Quessenberry on the #Texans.

“We are in uncharted territory.” David Quessenberry. #Texans

“It was a long fight. As you can tell I was excited to ring that bell.” David Quessenberry. #Texans

Sean Ryan coached WRs last year with the #Texans. Was the QB coach with the Giants for a few seasons prior to coming here.

Savage also said that him and Weeden are excited with new QB coach Sean Ryan. Both were close with Ryan last season. #Texans

Savage mentioned that is will be more of a “peaceful” quarterback room with new QB coach Sean Ryan. #Texans

“I love the guy.” Tom Savage on Bill O’Brien. #Texans

"This is the longest I have been in an offense in my life.” Tom Savage on being in the O entering year four. #Texans

"Those are two guys that who are not here and I can not comment on them.“ Tom Savage on Osweiler and Romo. #Texans

Savage said he went back and watched his injuries. Said he could have prevented his injuries. #Texans

Savage said that he has had some receivers over prior to the start of the off-season. Talked about communication needs to improve. #Texans

Tom Savage says he “can’t control” what the Texans do in the draft. #Texans
            Sarah Barshop‏ @sarahbarshop
            Hopkins said he wished Brock Osweiler well after the Texans traded him, and that he knows he has a lot to prove in the league.

DeAndre Hopkins said he and Tom Savage "are tight," but that he didn't like when he went to his house last week & he didn't have Blue Moon.

DeAndre Hopkins said he isn't aware of any progress on a new contract. He is entering the fifth year of his rookie contract.

Tom Savage said "it's going to be a fun and peaceful" quarterback room next season.

Tom Savage said he has looked at film of his past injuries, and said he thinks they can be avoided by experience.

Tom Savage is headed to the podium shortly to talk for the first time since last season.
            Houston Texans @HoustonTexans
            Hopkins: "I try to follow the Jerry Rice routine. Running hills, maintaining. There's always room for improvement in my game."

Hopkins on Savage: "We've definitely been getting after it since we've been back in town. He knows this offense, where to put the ball."

Watt on Quessenberry: "It's incredible, to have such an inspirational story in your own building. To see how hard he's fought."

Watt: "We'll probably put some plans in place to limit some reps. It mostly comes down to my workouts, being smart."

Watt: "The whole defense played very well last year. Overcame a lot of adversity. It's very exciting. We have a good group of guys."

Watt: "My body feels really good. I can't wait to get out there and play some ball."

#Texans DE J.J. Watt: "Great to be back in the building, with the guys, around the team."

Quessenberry: "This organization has had my back since day one. That's rare to find. They care about me as a football player and a person."

Quessenberry: "I think I came out of this stronger, both physically and mentally."

Quessenberry on focusing on football: "It feels amazing. What we always dreamed about getting through throughout my fight."

Savage: "I'm going to go out there and play hard. Nothing in this league is handed to you. Have to earn it every day."

Savage on injury history: "A lot of them can be avoided with experience... I'm very confident in myself this year that I'll be available."

Savage: "I'm going out there to play for everyone in that locker room and everybody that believes in me."

#Texans QB Tom Savage: "I have a lot to go out there and prove and this will be a heck of an opportunity. I'm pumped. Going to be fun."
            Last edited by H2O4me; 1 week ago.

Comment

First we have to wonder who's making the decision on QB if it's in the first. If Rick is planning on firing Billy, or Billy is going to move on to another job, would you want your soon to be ex-coach choosing the next coach's QB? Does that make sense? But... will Rick ever take responsibility for putting his name on a high pick QB? Has been unwilling to do so in the past.
              I agree with your entire post, but this portion has been on my mind for awhile now. Does it make since to put stock in a QB that will probably have to learn a new system before the end of his rookie contract?

My conclusion is "Yes", but only if O'Brien believes in the QB. I think they traits he looks for translate to most systems.. From what I've read his list of desirable traits looks something like this: 1) High Football IQ 2) Accurate 3) Leadership 4) Throwing Power. In addition to those traits being transferrable, I think O'Brien is pretty decent at finding kids that actually have those two intangible traits, and weeding out the ones that pretend to.

Comment

Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post

I hope so.

Watson and Mahomes?
                It was both, Mahomes was the 17th and Watson is listed later this week. I pray that Smith doesn't fall in love with Watson. I love his leadership and grit, but after watching film I have a very bad feeling about him. He has been compared to Vince Young with less accuracy and arm strength in multiple scouting reports. Plus watching Williams bail him out of about 5-6 INTs last year alone...scares me. And he leaves a lot to be desired reading a D.
                JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post

I agree with your entire post, but this portion has been on my mind for awhile now. Does it make since to put stock in a QB that will probably have to learn a new system before the end of his rookie contract?

My conclusion is "Yes", but only if O'Brien believes in the QB. I think they traits he looks for translate to most systems.. From what I've read his list of desirable traits looks something like this: 1) High Football IQ 2) Accurate 3) Leadership 4) Throwing Power. In addition to those traits being transferrable, I think O'Brien is pretty decent at finding kids that actually have those two intangible traits, and weeding out the ones that pretend to.
                  I agree with him also. I don't think Smith would mind getting rid of OB. He wants Lovie Smith and is not an OB fan at all. Plus he has had "issues" working with OB, tends to happen when you don't get what the HC needs. I don't think McNair will let OB go based on 3 9-7 years with no real QB. He is probably safe until his last year on his contract. Then he will walk away unless McNair gives him more control over personal.

Comment

McNair really needs to hurry up and get rid of Smith so that these assumption can come to an end. Every darn gone thread ends up with all this negative talk about Rick Smith.

H2O4me thanks for the update nonetheless. Football season is right around the corner. Savage is excited but humble, i like that. Now he has the opportunity to show his worth.

Quessenberry is truly a blessing and inspiration. I pray that he be very successful out there on the gridiron. Talk a wonderfully story that would be.

Savage does know how to get the ball to Hopkins. Im looking forward to seeing that connections.

My Rockets and Astros are looking good but im so pumped and ready for some Texans football.
                    sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

It was both, Mahomes was the 17th and Watson is listed later this week. I pray that Smith doesn't fall in love with Watson. I love his leadership and grit, but after watching film I have a very bad feeling about him. He has been compared to Vince Young with less accuracy and arm strength in multiple scouting reports. Plus watching Williams bail him out of about 5-6 INTs last year alone...scares me. And he leaves a lot to be desired reading a D.
                      I think it'd be McNair falling in love with Watson if anything. Remember McNair is a South Carolina guy hence his infinity with those players, and who is their big in state rival? Clemson, look how OB gushed over Chris Polk after his one game against us, I can only imagine McNair is the same after watching Watson whip up on SC for a few years
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post

I think it'd be McNair falling in love with Watson if anything. Remember McNair is a South Carolina guy hence his infinity with those players, and who is their big in state rival? Clemson, look how OB gushed over Chris Polk after his one game against us, I can only imagine McNair is the same after watching Watson whip up on SC for a few years
                        To be fair though.. the last couple years, everyone has opened a can on SC.

Comment

I pray that Smith doesn't fall in love with Watson...
                          Originally posted by shishkabob View Post
                          I think it'd be McNair falling in love with Watson if anything....
                          It would be both, just like the other QB we signed/traded. (Not to compare Watson to Osweiler.)

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
                            McNair really needs to hurry up and get rid of Smith so that these assumption can come to an end. Every darn gone thread ends up with all this negative talk about Rick Smith.

H2O4me thanks for the update nonetheless. Football season is right around the corner. Savage is excited but humble, i like that. Now he has the opportunity to show his worth.

Quessenberry is truly a blessing and inspiration. I pray that he be very successful out there on the gridiron. Talk a wonderfully story that would be.

Savage does know how to get the ball to Hopkins. Im looking forward to seeing that connections.

My Rockets and Astros are looking good but im so pumped and ready for some Texans football.
                            Assumptions?

Read this, not that it took any time to get 2 articles on it. Like I said 2-3 articles probably false, a few hundred and by trusted sources close to the team and others, it's common sense that the smoke means that fire is there.

Smith, who oversees all personnel decisions, had one year left on his second contract with the Texans, so his extension will take him through the 2020 draft.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron...ct-8658177.php

And this is why some misunderstand how much power and lack of power Smith and OB has.

https://www.google.com/amp/profootba...-showdown/amp/

Comment

Assumptions?

Read this, not that it took any time to get 2 articles on it. Like I said 2-3 articles probably false, a few hundred and by trusted sources close to the team and others, it's common sense that the smoke means that fire is there.

Smith, who oversees all personnel decisions, had one year left on his second contract with the Texans, so his extension will take him through the 2020 draft.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron...ct-8658177.php

And this is why some misunderstand how much power and lack of power Smith and OB has.

https://www.google.com/amp/profootba...-showdown/amp/

Dude ive read these article when they first came out. You're posting a few articles not 100. So let's not over do it like that.
                              I know how the chain of command works.

We've been bagging our heads around here about who's doing what. I remember when most of you guys were saying Rick is just a puppet. Now all of a sudden he has all this power.

Again bump it, time to move on. That horse is freaking dead already. Let's get ready for some OTA's, and all that other good stuff.

sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

Working...
                              X