Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texans 2017 Off-season Workout Programs (OTAs, Rookie/Mandatory Minicamp)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any word on if Balentine / Moore during OTAs?

Man, I feel like Lonnie has it all (including a glass body). Hoping he takes another step forward this year and stays healthy!

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post
      Any word on if Balentine / Moore during OTAs?
      Nothing yet, we're only in Phase 1...
      Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
      April 17-21: Offseason workouts (Phase 1, Week 1)

April 24-28: Offseason workouts (Phase 1, Week 2)

Phase One consists of the first two weeks of the program with activities limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only.
      Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

I agree with him also. I don't think Smith would mind getting rid of OB. He wants Lovie Smith and is not an OB fan at all. Plus he has had "issues" working with OB, tends to happen when you don't get what the HC needs. I don't think McNair will let OB go based on 3 9-7 years with no real QB. He is probably safe until his last year on his contract. Then he will walk away unless McNair gives him more control over personal.

First, Smith controls McNair and gets Brock. But now you're saying he doesn't control McNair because McNair chose OB over Lovie. Do you see the disconnect? Or is everything always Smith's fault as your scape goat of choice?

I feel sorry for you if you work in a workplace that operates like you are confident the Texans front office operates.
        https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

4/17 presser

WR DEANDRE HOPKINS
          Is there anything new on your contract?

ďNot that I know of. Iím out here focusing on making this team better. Iím still under contract. So, I donít know.Ē

Can you compartmentalize your contract situation and not think about it?

ďOf course. When you grow up how I grew up Ė with nothing Ė anything that you have is a lot. So, Iím blessed to even be here and Iím fortunate to be in this situation Ė to have what I have right now.Ē

Can you talk about QB Tom Savage and what you like about him both on and off the field?

ďWhat I donít like is how I went to his house last week and he didnít have Blue Moon in his refrigerator. But besides that, weíre pretty tight.Ē

Youíve had limited playing time with QB Tom Savage, but what have you seen in practice?

ďThe kid is a go-getter. He doesnít quit. Even out there today he was trying to be first. He was hustling. He was out there being a leader even though he hasnít played many snaps in this league. Even on the sideline last year at games he was out there helping the quarterbacks, helping us, helping the tight ends. Just being active throughout even though he wasnít starting.Ē

Former Texans WR Andre Johnson taught you a lot. What is it like to do the same for WR Will Fuller V?

ďOh man. Itís great to see guys develop in this league. Braxton (Miller) and Will Ė they had a good offseason. I can tell the way they came out here today and worked. They want to learn. Theyíre not guys that are just going to sit back and let you tell them things. Theyíre going to ask you questions. Kind of like how I did (with) Andre.Ē

When Head Coach Bill OíBrien was asked at the NFL Scouting Combine about you having a down season he shut it down right away. How did it feel to have a coach defend you like that?

ďItís great when you have a coach like this thatís always on your side. A down season, you know, itís a team sport. Itís not one player out there playing. So, I did my job to get our team last year to where we got. Even though we didnít get the success we wanted, we still had a pretty good season. Won the division, and itís not easy to win the division in this league. So, to have a coach like that on your side all the time, it spreads throughout the locker room.Ē

Can you talk about QB Tom Savage as a quarterback and the rapport you both are developing?

ďWe havenít had much time to do much this offseason. He has a family. Heís married. We definitely have been getting after it since weíve been back in town. Just doing extra things. He throws a good ball. He knows this offense better than any quarterback that can be in this system. Heís been here since heís been in the NFL and under this system, so he knows how to put the ball where it needs to be.Ē

QB Tom Savage said one of the things heís focused on is building communication. Is that something youíve seen improve as you hang out and get more reps?

ďYeah. But, we were building that chemistry even when he was on the sideline when he wasnít playing. Just him always being into the game and knowing whatís going on and knowing what he could do if he was in the game. Even in practice, even in the film room, he was always into it. There was never a time that he didnít know where the ball was supposed to go or how it should be thrown. So, I feel like since heís been here for four years weíve been building that chemistry. Not just now.Ē

Do you respect QB Tom Savage for what he has done despite not being the starting quarterback in the past?

ďOf course. Thatís something everybody in this locker room respects about him. How he always stayed into it. How he never got down or never doubted himself.Ē

Physically, how do you feel with where youíre at right now and is there anything in particular you worked on this offseason?

ďWell, I havenít missed a game since Iíve been in the NFL so I donít want to fine tune too much. But definitely sticking to my routines. Running hills. I try to follow the Jerry Rice routine. Hills. Donít do too much. Donít kill yourself. Iím a receiver. Iím not a bodybuilder. So, just maintaining and getting better at things that I need to get better at, and I know that. But, as a player Iím not going to sit here and tell you and let the other guys watching this try to get up on me. But, definitely. Thereís always room for improvement in my game.Ē

How hard is it to deal with the fact that youíve had a different quarterback throwing you the ball every year?

ďThat doesnít bother me at all. As long as they can get me the ball, you know I donít care what name is on the back of the jersey, honestly. As long as we win the games thatís all that matters to me. Everybody that plays quarterback in this league, they made it here for a reason. They can play at this level. So, I donít doubt anybody who steps behind that center and that comes to work every day and dresses just like I do. Itís not an easy position at all. They get a lot of crap because theyíre the leaders of the offense and everything is on their shoulders. But, itís up to guys like me to put that behind and go to work no matter who is throwing the ball.Ē

What do you hope for WR Braxton Miller and WR Will Fuller V this year in terms of their development?

ďThey have a lot they can work on. I donít want to sit up here and speak for those guys because Iím not in their shoes, but they have a lot of room for improvement in their game. Iím sure Will knows he dropped some key balls last year but as a rookie youíre not going to be perfect. But, you want that to be in the back of your head so when that time comes again you can take advantage of the situation.Ē

What are your thoughts on the upcoming NFL Draft?

ďI asked Andre (Johnson) a while back if he follows the draft and he said no, so I donít follow the draft either.Ē

What did you think when you found out QB Brock Osweiler was traded?

ďI wish him luck. I know he has lots to prove in this league. I know he has a lot to still prove to himself. Heís a good guy. I know heís going to do well wherever he ends up.Ē

Have you talked to QB Deshaun Watson at all and have you thought about what it would be like to have him in the quarterback room?

ďYou know, Iím a Clemson guy so Iím a little biased. As an organization, they know who we need more so than my biased opinion would say who I want. Wherever he goes, I know heíll do fine. You win Quarterback of the Year back-to-back, you get snubbed of the Heisman. In my eyes, heís a Heisman quarterback. We havenít talked, but we have mutual friends. I still have cousins that play at Clemson. So, Iím pretty sure he would like to throw me the football.Ē
          G DAVID QUESSENBERRY
          Can you reflect on that feeling of ringing that bell the other day and all youíve been through?

ďIt was a long fight. I think, as you can tell from the video, I was pretty excited to ring that bell. It was just a special moment for me and my family and really everybody that helped me out through the whole thing.Ē

How does it feel to be focusing on football now?

ďIt feels amazing. This is kind of what we had always dreamed about getting to throughout my fight. Now that weíre not talking about the next treatment, weíre just talking about the next phase of the spring, itís exciting.Ē

From a physical standpoint, what type of a timetable have the doctors put on for you?

ďThatís what theyíre working on right now. Weíre in uncharted territory, I guess. Nobodyís ever gone (through) what Iíve gone through specifically, so theyíre working as we go. But I feel great and it will be very soon where I can play.Ē

Do you realize how many non-football fans in this city are pulling for you?

ďI have. Thatís something that has helped me throughout the whole fight. This is a special city, this is a special place. Iíll never forget that.Ē

What do you feel like gave you the courage to fight through this? Was it family, faith or something else?

ďI think all of those things. Itís hard to just put one. I definitely think my family, my faith Ė just a belief that thereís a bigger picture here and thereís more to it than just me getting diagnosed with cancer. Thereís more to the story.Ē

As an athlete, is there anything specific the doctors did to try to preserve your future physical shape?

ďNo. Iím not really familiar with that. They kind of just said, ĎHey, this is what we have to do to fight it.í Thatís what we did.Ē

Do you have any residual feeling from some of the treatments they gave you that changes things for you?

ďIím definitely not the same person, probably physically and mentally. But I think I came out of this stronger, both physically and mentally.Ē

What has this organization meant to you throughout this fight?

ďThis organization has had my back since day one. That alone is something thatís rare to find and itís something thatís very special. Thatís what makes this such an awesome place to come into and work every day, knowing that they care about me as a football player and as a person.Ē

Did you ever question or wonder whether you were going to be able to play again?

ďThere were a lot of times. When I finished my intensive treatment I felt like the furthest thing from a football player Ė no hair, skinny Ė but your body is an amazing thing. We just took it slowly. We just did one workout at a time, one treatment at a time and eventually here we are.Ē

How close are you to your playing weight from before?

ďIím a little lighter but I feel good at this weight. Weíll continue to crush these workouts and see what happens.Ē

What do you think itís going to feel like to throw that first block?

ďI donít know what itís going to feel like. Itís something Iíve thought about for however many days Ė 1,050 days Ė since I got diagnosed. I canít wait. Itís going to feel beautiful.Ē

How meaningful is the relationship youíve built with Head Coach Bill OíBrien and everything he has done to have your back?

ďIn the team meeting today he called me out and he showed the team the video of me ringing the bell. He has had my back through this whole thing. Weíve gotten close. He has his own struggles in his family and I have mine. He has had a lot of wisdom on the way to approach things when itís your body and youíre going through your own fights. Thatís something that Iíve always kind of cherished and been fortunate to have with him since he got here and before I got diagnosed. Heís just been great.Ē

Did you have any interesting logistical situations with your size relative to most patients?

ďYeah. Itís hard to fit in the bed and those things that you wear Ė the gowns. Those things never fit so we kind of made our own as we went on. But they worked with me.Ē

Do you expect to compete for the right tackle job?

ďI really like the offensive line position in general Ė tackle, guard, center. I think I take pride in being able to play them all. Wherever I can help the team.Ē

Do you still have that nasty streak the coaches talked about when you first got here?

ďYeah, itís still there.Ē
          QB TOM SAVAGE
          Considering the trials and tribulations you have had going back to college, now you are in position to make millions and millions of dollars. How do you feel about the opportunity you have right now?

ďFirst of all, I donít really ever think about the money. Iíve played two games so far. I have a lot to go out there and prove and this is going to be a heck of an opportunity.Ē

What has your focus been this offseason in getting better for next year?

ďI think just consistency. Obviously, we need to get the ball in the end zone. Thatís pretty apparent to anyone who watched us. Thatís just one thing that we are really working on.Ē

How excited are you about this opportunity?

ďIím pumped. Itís going to be fun. Iím going to enjoy it. Just go out there and play fast and have some fun.Ē

What are your thoughts on the questions about your ability to stay healthy and buzz about the Texans drafting a quarterback?

ďI think both of those things are things I canít control, so Iím not really worried about it. With the naysayers and all that stuff, thatís Ė itís funny, people always ask me about that stuff like the doubters and naysayers. Iím going out there to play for everybody in that locker room and everybody who believes in me. Anybody else, I just kind of shake off. They can draft whoever they want.Ē

Would your mindset have changed any if they would have brought in another veteran or would it have been the same?

ďNope. Luckily for me through the process that I have been through the last three years with this team, itís been the same thing. Just keep going out and keep doing what you control and thatís how it is.Ē

What are you doing with the different receiving targets that you have during the offseason above and beyond what is required by the offseason program?

ďItís funny, I was talking to (DeAndre Hopkins) Hop a little bit about it. I just think communication is going to be key this year. I had a couple of guys over and just hanging out and talking. At the end of the day we have to be boys. We have to go out there, we have to have some fun. We have to be able to communicate with each other. If they want to get after me on the field, thatís fine. Letís communicate. Letís be on the same page and at the end of the day letís have some fun.Ē

With everything youíve been through in your college and pro careers, do you feel like your time has come and youíre ready for this moment?

ďAbsolutely. This is a tremendous opportunity. I canít wait to get out there and get cracking.Ē

What has Head Coach Bill OíBrien said to you just in terms of preparing to you for this?

ďA lot of things. Obviously, we canít be on the field right now and stuff. I think a lot of itís just in terms of leadership and like I said, communication with the guys and making sure weíre all on the same page heading into OTAs and then even training camp.Ē

Is there anything within your game that you feel like you can control and work on to make sure you are on the field as much as possible?

ďHopefully this is the last time we talk about the injuries, but I went through and I watched all of my injuries from the past and I think a lot of them can be avoided just with experience. Letís just be real. Rookie year was rookie year. Thatís whatever. The second year with the shoulder, itís the fourth preseason game, throw the ball away. Iím not Michael Vick. I shouldnít be rolling around trying to make a play. And then last year, I need to get a yard and get down. I donít need to be Mike Alstott and run through there and get four yards on a quarterback sneak. Those are all things that you will learn and adapt. Iím very confident in myself coming into this year that I will be available. Iím excited.Ē

What was your immediate reaction when you found out QB Brock Osweiler had been traded and also that QB Tony Romo would not be coming here?

ďTo be honest, those are two guys that arenít here right now so I canít really comment on them. Thatís just the way this is. This is a business and this is a job, but itís a heck of a job.Ē

How soon did you come back and start working out and getting ready?

ďIíve been back here for quite a bit. I had to kind of be a dad for a little bit and learn how that works. Other than that, just get back and I didnít want to be away from the wife too much.Ē

A few of the players have talked about how they liked how upset you were when you didnít get to go back in the Titans game. Can you talk about your reaction when you found out you werenít going back?

ďItís tough because as a competitor you want to be out there and you want to play and then over such a play like that. Going down and getting dinged up. I think the refs did a really good job of doing their job and all that stuff in the concussion protocol, but obviously you want to be out there and be playing with your guys.Ē

Do you feel like being in this system for so long gives you the ability to play faster?

ďJust being in this system for Ė shoot, this is going on my fourth year now Ė obviously this is the longest offense I have ever been in in my life. Itís going to be fun. I think just going forward and stuff, we have to be able to play fast, and ultimately we have to be able to protect the ball because with the defense and the team that we have, thatís going to be the key to this deal.Ē

Do you expect any competition come training camp or are you kind of expecting to be thrust into the starterís role initially?

ďIíll never expect to be the starter. Iím always going to play like Iím the third-string guy and trying to make the team and thatís how Iím going to play regardless of if Iím a fifth-year starter or whatever. Iím going to go out there and Iím going to play hard. Nothing in this league is going to be handed to you, so you have to go out and you have to earn it every day.Ē

When you look back on film last season, other than communication, what is something that you took away from your film?

ďI thought it was good to go out there and play. Thatís one thing that I havenít been able to do is go out there in a real life, regular season game and go out there and play and move the ball a little bit. Obviously, the no touchdowns deal, that is what it is and thatís something that we are going to improve on. Iím going to give the ball to those playmakers and let them go make a play.Ē

What is your relationship with Head Coach Bill OíBrien and what is it like to be a quarterback in his system?

ďI love the guy. Thatís what I look forward to, is going to practice every day. Heís going to be hard on me. Thatís what you want as a quarterback. Heís the type of guy that is always talking shop with you and thatís the type of guy you want to go out there and you want to brawl for.Ē

This offseason it looks like you are going to get most of the reps. What does that mean to you since that really hasnít been your position in the past?

ďItís going to be awesome. Iíve never gotten that opportunity, but the past three years, every rep you get, you have to take advantage of it. Obviously, Iíll be getting some more this year and Iím really looking forward to it.Ē

What do you have to tell Texans fans on what to expect for this upcoming year and changes that you would be seeing?

ďWe are going to go out there. I have a funny feeling we are going to go out there and weíre going to have some fun out there and we are going to play fast, and thatís really I can say right now. Obviously, not being out there and taking the reps and stuff, we have to see, but thereís one thing I can say to Texans fans, itís donít doubt those guys in that locker room because they are going to go out there and play hard. Itís going to be fun to see.Ē

Do you think that given your history and how much inconsistency there has been, thereís almost an experience that comes with that and you can step in what would be the starting spot if you were to win that positon?

ďI bounced around quite a bit in college and I think a lot of that journey kind of made me who I am today and just going forward. This is a heck of an opportunity and Iím really pumped for it. Like I said, I have to go out there every day and learn it. Thatís kind of the mindset that was instilled in me throughout this whole process.Ē

The fact that DE J.J. Watt is coming back, what does that mean to your side of the ball?

ďJust protect the ball because heís going to get it back for you. Heís one of the greatest defensive players of all time. Heís a heck of a teammate and heís a good dude.Ē

You have a new quarterbacks coach in Sean Ryan who of course was here last year. What do you think about him and what does he bring to the table as far as being the quarterbacks coach?

ďHeís a very personable person. You can go up to him and ask questions. I really bonded with him a lot last season. I know me and Brandon (Weeden) were really, really excited to go to work with him. Itís going to be a fun room. Itís going to be a peaceful room. We will go out there and we will have some fun.Ē
          DE J.J. WATT
          What was it like to be back out there with the team today?

ďIt felt really good. Itís just great to be back in the building with the guys and to be back around the team. Obviously in the situation that I was in the last season, for me, itís just so nice to be back in meetings, back in the swing of things with the guys and around the team. Itís just fun. Thatís really Ė when youíre away from the game for a long time Ė thatís probably the biggest thing you miss, IS the teammates, the comradery, the chemistry. We have a really good group of guys. We have a great team. Just really looking forward to continuing to grow and strive with these guys to be the best we can be.Ē

How are you feeling health-wise?

ďI feel very good. Obviously itís a long offseason and thereís plenty of time to continue to improve and grow. But I think that everybody has done a great job and Iím very fortunate to have good people around me obviously. But my body feels really good. Iím really looking forward to this whole offseason process and the OTAs and getting back to just playing football. I think thatís the biggest thing. I just want to play football. I canít wait to get back out there and play some ball.Ē

What was it like to watch the emergence of DE Jadeveon Clowney last season?

ďIt was good. It was good. It was a lot of fun to watch. Obviously played very well. I think our whole defense played really well. Those guys, it was a lot of fun to watch play and see them grow throughout the year and overcome a lot of adversity. Itís exciting. I think thatís exciting to come back into that swing and know that thereís areas where I can help and improve. Itís going to be a lot of fun, like I said. We have a good group of guys. Really good chemistry and a really good core group of guys so itís going to be a great year.Ē

What do you think about what the Houston Rockets and Patrick Beverly were able to do last night?

ďPatís the man. I love that guy. I mean, the guys played awesome obviously. A big, big win for those guys. Itís a lot of fun. I think thereís a ton of excitement around Houston. I mean the way James (Harden) played all year long. The way those guys have really played all year. Itís really a blast to watch. Itís great to be part of it and to be able to have that to root for in your city. But Pat last night, I mean, I think he had like 21 points and 11 rebounds. The guy was just absolutely killing it. His intensity is the best. Iím sitting there on the sidelines and Iím getting fired up wanting to get in the game. That dude knocks him out, I was like, ĎOK, we may have a problem here. Youíre messing with my guy Pat.í It was a lot of fun. Heís just so intense. Then that one time he came over to me and was just staring at me in the face for like 15 seconds. I was like, ĎPat, I donít know what you want me to do here man. I canít really do anything.í He was just staring me down. My girlfriend looked at me and was like, ĎThat was kind of cool and it was kind of awkward all at the same time.í I was like, ďYeah it was. I didnít know what to do.í But he just has a way of getting you fired up. He is, heís like the wolverine out there. He is fearless. I just love the way that guy plays. It was a lot of fun to watch him put on a show.Ē

What are your initial thoughts on Mike Vrabel becoming the defensive coordinator but still having Associate Head Coach/Defense Romeo Crennel around?

ďI think Mike is obviously very, very qualified. Heís an extremely smart football mind. Heís a guy who loves the game and who obviously had a great career as a player and whoís a brilliant coach who knows what he is doing. But I think the big bonus in all that is the fact we still have Romeo Crennel on our staff. Heís such a good coach. Heís such a good man. Just a guy to have around the program with so much knowledge. He can pick the right spots and say the right things. I think for us to be able to have two minds like that when most teams would kill to have one defensive coordinator with those type of skills, I think weíre very fortunate and weíre all really excited about it to see what happens and where it goes from here.Ē

Is this the most motivated or eager you have been to get back on the field?

ďIím very, very excited. Thereís no question about that. I think youíre away from the game for a year. Like I said many times before, it just reaffirms how much you love it, how passionate you are about it, how badly you want to get out there and play with your teammates and just enjoy the game. I canít wait. Every game is so exciting and every practice is so exciting. But I think yeah, there is definitely a little bit of something there just being away for so long and knowing that Iíve had all this time to continue to build up. Iíve had time for the passion to grow and for the fire to keep burning bigger and bigger. Itís going to be a lot of fun. But Iíve also learned a lot over that time where I need to make sure that I balance myself and not get overly crazy in the offseason and things like that. So I think itís been a really good time for me but itís definitely time for me to start playing some football again. Thatís for sure.Ē

Are you giving your brother T.J. Watt any advice on the NFL Draft process since you have been through it?

ďItís been great. Obviously with Derek (Watt) going through it a couple years ago and now T.J. Iíve been working out with T.J. for the last couple months back home since the combine. Derek was back home working out with us. Itís such a unique and special bond that we get to have in that weíre all going through something that most kids kill to go through. (A) family would kill to have one kid go through and weíre so fortunate to get three people to go through it. Heís so similar to me but heís farther along than I was at that point in the process. Heís a lot better player than I was at that time. He has a lot more to grow even than I had. I think heís a really special player and itís been a lot of fun to watch him go through the process. Heís so hungry. Heís just itching to learn and grow as a person and as a player so he is always asking questions, heís always wanting to compete in the workouts. Same with Derek. Itís a lot of fun in those workouts because itís three NFL athletes in the same family. Every single day weíre competing in the workouts. Whether itís the sprints or the jumps or the lifts. Everything is a competition. I think thatís what makes you better, thatís what makes you grow. Ultimately, thatís probably part of the reason that we are where we are today because itís been like that our whole life. Whether it was just playing in the backyard and punting the ball and trying to down it on the one-yard line, we always wanted to be the best. I think thatís really what has led us to the point we are today and thatís whatís going to lead us to wherever we go in the future. Whether itís T.J., me or Derek, weíre always just trying to be the best we can be to help our teams win.Ē

How difficult was it to host the Super Bowl in Houston but not be playing in it?

ďIt was very bittersweet, obviously. But I think the City of Houston did a fantastic job. Obviously thatís the game we want to play in. Thatís the game every team wants to play in, but I think the City of Houston did a great job hosting it. I think it gave the world the chance to see what Houston is all about. I think they did a great job. Itís such a special city. The people here are so great. Obviously thatís our goal, is to go out there and to bring one of those back home here.Ē

How difficult was it to change and adjust your offseason workouts?

ďI think thatís something that I went through a little bit more last year because obviously you go through all that stuff I went through last offseason then part of you wants to hold on to what you did in the past and be like, ĎThis is what I did to get here. I want to continue doing that.í But as you get through it and you grow and you learn, you really Ė I mean, I had a lot of time so I dove into the research behind everything and understanding how you can do certain things without putting yourself at risk. So Iíve grown as a person. Iíve learned a lot. Iíve really talked with so many people and weíve kind of created a program and a plan where I can get the results I want without necessarily putting myself at risk in those situations. Itís been good. Iíve had a lot of help from a lot of great people. Basically, what it comes down to is you have to build confidence both in yourself and in your team, obviously. The only way that you can do that is by putting in the work and putting in the time. You can never fake confidence. You canít ******** yourself into thinking that youíre good enough when you know for a fact you didnít put in the work and didnít put in the time. For me, thatís where it all comes down to, is making sure that I put in that time and making sure that I put in that effort so that when I step on that field, I know for a fact that I can step out there confident and strong and I can go out there and dominate because I put in the work. Thereís nothing to be worried about when you put in the work. The only time you have to be nervous or anxious for a game is when you didnít put in the work and youíre just hoping youíre good enough. Thatís not a situation I ever want to be in.Ē

Comparing to previous offseasons, do you have any physical limitations as far as practice and going forward for this season?

ďI think that will all be up to the coaches and trainers. I think we will probably put some sort of plan into place just to limit overall reps throughout the season. Obviously, there are a ton of reps throughout the season, the game reps being the most important ones, the ones that affect the result. It mostly comes down to my workouts and just making sure that Iím very smart in my workouts and, like we talked about before, creating a plan where I donít put myself at risk. When you really think about it, football is a game of uncertainties. You go out there, you donít know how youíre going to have to twist and run and turn. You canít really control what happens on the field. What I can control is my workouts. I can control what I am doing in the weight room, what I am doing on the practice field to make sure that I limit all those risks. Thatís what we control. We control the things we can control and then we go out there and play. We just let it fly. Obviously, you hope for the best.Ē

We know you are motivated. We know you are going to work coming back from these back injuries which can be difficult. There are questioners out there saying ĎCan J.J. be as good as or better than he was?í Do you have those questions?

ďNo. I see them all. I know them all. Iíve heard them all. You hear doubters. You hear everything. Iíve heard everything from you get constantly injured and things like that. This is the first games Iíve ever missed this last season. Itís not like Iíve been hurt every single year. Itís not like itís been some over and over and over again thing. It was a very serious last year for me. It was a very tough year for me, but the way Ė the only way I can ever be as good as I want to be is if Iím confident in it. Like I was trying to explain before, the only way Iíll ever be truly the player that I want to get back out there and be for my teammates and for these fans is to go out there and be confident and to work my *** off every single day and to just be who I know I can be. If something happens, it happens. All I can do is go out there and be as smart and play as hard as I possibly can and try and be the best teammate I can be for these guys. Thatís all Iím going to do is because thatís the only way I know how to play. If Iím out there trying to second guess myself while Iím out there wondering if Iím good enough, then Iím not going to be good anyway, so thereís no point in going out there and playing. All I can do is give it everything I have every single day whether itís practice, the meetings, film. Iím going to give it everything I have and Iím going to go out there and have fun, Iím going to play the game I know how to play it: with energy, with enthusiasm, with excitement, rally around my teammates, have a lot of fun and just enjoy football again because once something is taken away from you like it was from me, all you want to do is get back out there, have fun, enjoy yourself and play with your teammates. So, Iím going to do that. Iím going to give it everything I have. I feel great and Iím very much looking forward to it.Ē

Head Coach Bill OíBrien recognized G David Quessenberry and his comeback from cancer. What are your thoughts on David and what he has meant to you as a teammate?

ďItís incredible. To have such an inspirational story right in your own building, itís really special. I think to see everything that David has gone through, to see how hard he fought and the battles that he has gone through. Itís hard enough just to beat cancer, but to want to come back and play in the National Football League and to want to have that drive, to have that desire, to put in all the work that it takes. Heís an absolute inspiration to myself, heís an inspiration to our entire locker room, Iím sure to the entire city and people all over. DQ, heís a hell of a guy. I think heís a guy you want to go to battle with. Heís a guy who you run through a wall for because you know heíd do the exact same thing for you. I think heís a special player, heís a special guy. We are very lucky to have him and Iím fortunate to know him and have him as a friend, much less a teammate. Heís a special guy.Ē
          Photobucket has changed it's image hosting pricings, moving my $2/month plan to $480/year -- so most of the images I have posted here will revert to dead links sometime soon. There's no workaround other than replacing them one-by-one. So my posts the forums are going to look funky for a while. My apologies.

Comment

Im surprised we havent heard more information coming out of our off season workout program: May 1-5: Offseason workouts (Phase 2, Week 3). Phase 2 week 4 starts on the 8th-12th...then the 3 day minicamp kicks off and I really hope the info picks up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprtsfanatic View Post
              Im surprised we havent heard more information coming out of our off season workout program: May 1-5: Offseason workouts (Phase 2, Week 3). Phase 2 week 4 starts on the 8th-12th...then the 3 day minicamp kicks off and I really hope the info picks up.
              Next week we should hear about rookie minicamp starting up.

Comment

This rookie minicamp feels like it's taking forever to get here. Why does it feel like that? We have hardly any news regarding this draft class. (Except the national media telling us how Watson is already better than Savage)

Comment

Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
                  This rookie minicamp feels like it's taking forever to get here. Why does it feel like that? We have hardly any news regarding this draft class. (Except the national media telling us how Watson is already better than Savage)
                  2016 Draft ended a day later and rookie minicamp started a week earlier than this year.

May 12-14 Three-day rookie minicamp
                  We'll have media availability for the first two days, so that'll be your first look at the new guys.

Comment

2016 Draft ended a day later and rookie minicamp started a week earlier than this year.

We'll have media availability for the first two days, so that'll be your first look at the new guys.
                    See, it was something, I'm not crazy. Just a few more days away.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post

First, Smith controls McNair and gets Brock. But now you're saying he doesn't control McNair because McNair chose OB over Lovie. Do you see the disconnect? Or is everything always Smith's fault as your scape goat of choice?

I feel sorry for you if you work in a workplace that operates like you are confident the Texans front office operates.
                      If I did the math right in RS's first 8 years before OB the Texans went 61-67. I'd hate to work in that corporation. OB in three years got them to 88-88. If McNair doesn't extend OB then how will that stack up with his comments when he extended RS stating it's not good business to make changes. Don't make changes at 61-67 but make them at 27-21?

Comment

Originally posted by dancingbear View Post

If I did the math right in RS's first 8 years before OB the Texans went 61-67. I'd hate to work in that corporation. OB in three years got them to 88-88. If McNair doesn't extend OB then how will that stack up with his comments when he extended RS stating it's not good business to make changes. Don't make changes at 61-67 but make them at 27-21?
                        I really can't see Bill going anywhere unless he wants to.
                        1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Texans 2017 Offseason Schedule

This month, the Texans begin their fourth offseason workout program under head coach Bill OíBrien. Players return to NRG Stadium on April 17 for the start of the nine-week voluntary offseason program.

Here are other important dates on the 2017 offseason schedule:

May 12-14 Three-day rookie minicamp

Phase One consists of the first two weeks of the program with activities limited to strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation only.

Phase Two consists of the next three weeks of the program. On-field workouts may include individual player instruction and drills as well as team practice conducted on a "separates" basis. No live contact or team offense vs. team defense drills are permitted.
                          John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
                          Texans take the field for the first time today at their rookie minicamp. All eyes will be on QB Deshaun Watson, of course.

patrick @PatDStat
                          #Texans have all their draft picks signed except DíOnta Foreman. 3rd round picks usually take the longest to sign.

Round 1, Pick 12 (via trade with Cleveland Browns):Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Round 2, Pick 25 (No. 57): Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt

Round 3, Pick 25 (No. 89): D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas

Round 4, Pick 24 (No. 130): Juliťn Davenport, OT, Bucknell

Round 4, Pick 36 (No. 142): Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson

Round 5, Pick 25 (No. 169): Treston Decoud, S, Oregon State

Round 7, Pick 25 (No. 243): Kyle Fuller, C, Baylor

Supposed UDFAs
                          Reported signings...

Dylan Cole, LB, Missouri State
                          Eli Ankou, DT, UCLA
                          Malik Smith, CB, San Diego State
                          Justin Hardee, WR, Illinois

Avery Williams, LB, Temple
                          Dimitiric Camiel,OT, Indiana
                          Deante Gray, WR. TCU
                          Dayon Pratt, LB, East Carolina

Matt Godin, DL, Michigan

Riley McCarron, WR, Iowa
                          Zach Conque, TE(QB), SFA

Shaq Hill, WR, E. Washington
                          T.J. Mutcherson, DB, UCF
                          Jake Simonich, OL, Utah State
                          T.J. Daniel, DE, Oregon

Daniel Ross, DL, N.E. Mississippi
                          Dee Virgin, DB, West Alabama
                          Rickey Hatley, DE, Missouri
                          Evan Baylis, TE, Oregon

Gimel President, OLB, Illinois
                          Malik Foreman, CB, Tennessee

Tryouts

Joe "JoJo" Mathis, OLB, Washington+
                          Dylan Haines, S, Texas+
                          LaTroy Lewis, OLB, Tennessee+
                          Dreon Johnson, FB, Towson+

Craig Fada, LB, Ohio State+
                          Patrick Towles, QB, Boston College+
                          Richie Sampson, S, Coastal Carolina+
                          Kareem Are, OG, Florida State+

Chris Thompson, WR, Florida +
                          Dominique Reed, WR, Arkansas+
                          Cameron Judge, LB, UCLA+
                          David Talley, LB, Grand Valley State+

Tyquwan Glass, CB, Fresno State+
                          Kenny Iloka, S, TCU+
                          John Gibson, CB, Missouri+
                          Joseph Scelfo OL NC State+

Christian Kuntz, LS, Duquesne
                          Dare Ogunbowale, RB, Wisconsin
                          BJ Singleton, DT, Houston
                          Adam Jones, CB, North Western State

Bryce Jones, CB, Akron
                          Last edited by H2O4me; 05-15-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

any reason why 3rd picks take the longest?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shishkabob View Post
                              any reason why 3rd picks take the longest?
                              Negotiating guarantees, I think. There's more wiggle room in those slots.

Comment

A Closer Look at the Houston Texans UDFAs that Could Make Their Mark

PATRICK STARR/SOTT
                                A closer look at the Houston Texans UDFAs that could make some noise heading into rookie mini-camp.

As has been shown in the past, the Houston Texans do not care on how a player makes it on their roster and the team is pretty good about taking the players who really put it together during the off-season into training camp. With the incoming group, this appears to be much like other rookie groups in which the team has invested before: a group that has players who have been injured, missed their final season, had a college career with one year of good play but tested out solidly at their pro-days. The organization has been scouring every end of the earth, signing prospects from schools that most did not know that existed unless you attended that school.

Closer Look at the UDFAs: Offense | Defense

With 22 free agent rookies reporting to rookie mini-camp, the Texans will have some early roster players pushing for spots on the team.

Here is a seven-pack of early rookies to watch for the Texans.

James Snook-USA TODAY Sports

SHAQ HILL, WR, EASTERN WASHINGTON

Overshadowed by Cooper Kupp (L.A. Rams) and suffering through a knee injury which sidelined him for the 2015 season, Shaquille Hill came back strong in 2016. During his final season, Hill posted 77 receptions for 1,157 yards along with 17 touchdowns, showing that he can make defenders miss when he gets the ball in his hands. Hill has a good feel for the game and, coming from a pass heavy offense in college, he has a good feel for the type of routes he needs to run at the NFL level.

ELI ANKOU, DT, UCLA (PICTURED ABOVE)

The Texans like big bodies in the trenches and try to base their entire defense off of the defensive line. The team wants to continue finding depth to plug in the middle of the defense, players who can play the nose, plus a three and five technique in their respective defensive fronts. Eli Ankou is a strong run-stopping presence and with the value the Texans place on stopping the run, Ankou might have a little more juice than most realize for his 330+ lb. frame.

Ozark Sports Zone

DYLAN COLE, ILB, MISSOURI STATE

Production is the first word to think of when it comes to Dylan Cole during his time at Missouri State. Averaging 12.9 tackles a game in 2016, Cole was a tackling machine with 141 total tackles and 8 tackles for loss from the inside linebacker position. In 2015, Cole had 152 total tackles and 457 tackle in his four-year career. Cole has a good feel for the game and with the exit of Akeem Dent and with Max Bullough suspended for the first four games of the season, Cole has everything in front of him to make his mark on the Texans for this upcoming training camp.

DIMITRIC CAMIEL, OT, INDIANA

The big offensive tackle from Indiana has right tackle written all over him. He played three seasons with the Hoosiers before injury ended his final season. A back injury cut his season short in 2016 after starting at right tackle for two seasons and helping out at depth as a freshman. With the need around the NFL and in Houston at the right tackle position, Dimitric Camiel will get a good enough look to see if he can handle the NFL life. He might not be a roster player right away but with the premium for the position, the Texans will take a long look at the offensive tackle.

DEE VIRGIN, CB, WEST ALABAMA

The Texans continue to look for help at the cornerback position and the way the NFL plays the game now, teams just can’t have enough cornerbacks. Javaris “Dee” Virgin started his career at Tennessee-Chatanooga before transferring to West Alabama due to some off the field issues. For the Tigers, Dee Virgin picked up where he left off and had a solid senior season with 43 total tackles and 3 interceptions. More importantly, Virgin also has the ability to return kicks which gives him some added versatility. Virgin has started since his redshirt freshman year and has plenty of experience on the field. He is on the smaller side but is a physical player from the cornerback position.

Derik Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports

AVERY WILLIAMS, LB, TEMPLE

The one thing Avery Williams will do is strike an opponent on the football field and he does it with a purpose. The next thing that the Texans need to figure out is where exactly Williams fits position-wise when he arrives to Houston. Williams played linebacker for the Owls and was a force in the run game, showing he could handle the job after a position change from running back. A strong side linebacker with three years of starting experience, Williams has the mentality that all football coaches are looking for in their players

Joe Mathis / NICHOLSON/ USA TODAY Sports Images

JOE MATHIS, EDGE, WASHINGTON

One of the more intriguing prospects coming to Houston, but only in a tryout capacity, Washington edge player, “Jojo” Mathis was expected to be drafted. Considered an outside linebacker, Joe Mathis had a foot injury which knocked him out of the season after starting strong for the defense. A difference maker for the Huskies, their defensive pass rush went south when Mathis was done for the season after unsuccessful non-surgical options to correct his foot issue. Mathis now has to prove he can stay healthy, learn the system, and earn a contract within only three days to stick with the Texans. His pass rush ability is not the issue; his health is the concern.

Related Articles: University of Texans Proved Vital for D'Onta Foreman | Zach Cunningham Caught Off-Guard by the Texans | Carlos Watkins Joins Familiar Faces in Houston | Texans Draft Class Takes Shape | D'Onta Foreman Makes a Strong Case for the Texans | Deshaun Watson Ready for his Role | Juliťn Davenport is the Upside the Texans Have Been Looking For | The Odds Could not Slow Down Treston Decoud | Texans Like Kyle Fuller's Versatility | Texans Brian Gaine to Interview for the Bills General Manager Position | Max Bullough Suspended to Start the Season | Deshaun Watson Has a Chance to Play in 2017 | Rookie Mini-Camp to Start

Comment

Working...
                                X