Savage Era in Houston

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage Era in Houston

Is it safe to say the Savage era in Houston has begun?

I'm all in for Savage starting this year, and hope he does good. This year is going to make or break (no pun intended) his NFL career! Just hope the Texans get a QB in the first round like Patrick Mahomes as a back up plan.

Yes. I hope so. Let the Savage era and teh Championships begin.
    Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
    TexansCap.com

Comment

It depends and I'm glad you made this post.

This draft is going to go 1 of 2 ways,

1. We draft a QB in the 1st round and he takes over for Savage at some point this season or next season.

2. We go OL in the first round, build the offense to protect Savage and officially begin the Savage Era. (We take a possible mid round or late round pick at QB to be 3rd string.)

I like what Savage could do with more live reps but with that said, I want another good QB on this roster.

What I want,

1. Mahomes
      2. OL
      3. OL
      4. BPA of need

What I expect to happen,

1. OL
      2. Webb from Cal

Comment

Originally posted by AngryNateFTW View Post

1. We draft a QB in the 1st round and he takes over for Savage at some point this season or next season.

2. We go OL in the first round, build the offense to protect Savage and officially begin the Savage Era. (We take a possible mid round or late round pick at QB to be 3rd string.)

I like what Savage could do with more live reps but with that said, I want another good QB on this roster.

What I want,

1. Mahomes
        2. OL
        3. OL
        4. BPA of need

What I expect to happen,

1. OL
        2. Webb from Cal
        I love Mahomes too, but 2 OL (thanks to Smith a need) but so is a S early 3rd or 2nd to keep the back end of the D strong
        JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

The Texans have a defense that rates as one of the best units in the NFL which is conducive in helping helping rookies succeed from Day1. The Texans offense is another matter all together since there isn't a foundation in place that screams they're only a QB away for dominating offensively.

1. Right-side of the OL was horrible last season. Depth was a problem last season and it became an bigger problem this off-season. I could easily justify 2-3 picks for OL unit.

2. Miller was very interesting last season but, he's not a 16 game 3 down back. Blue and company didn't provide the big-back answer when needed in short yardage or red-zone situations. Miller needs to lose some weight and return to being a change of pace back who could carry 30-40% of the running play load. RB's are deep position in this draft and I think it would be in the Texans best interest to target one before RD4 is complete.

3. The TE's are still problematic. There are still far too many drops coming from this group. Their holding penalties are far too common. The TE3 is a WR hybrid who might better served to drop some weight and enter the fray at WR where he might be able to bump Mumphrey. With the TE position being so deep in this draft, I'd love to see the team grab one but the 7 picks owned may not allow for this luxury.

4. As for as the defense goes...the Texans must address OLB and S in this draft being that positions are fairly deep with talented players who could excel joint a ready to go defense like the Texans possess.

5. I'm a fan of QB's and would jump at the chance to draft one if there was one that worthy in this draft. This a down year in the draft in regards to QB's by almost every observation. QB's are being pushed well beyond their normal location in the draft simply because it is such a challenging draft for QB's. System QB monikers have sunk QB's in many drafts but for some reason...."System QB" is being ignored this season. This could be a decent draft for developmental QB's who might wind up being good QB2's in the future and 1-2 (my prediction) becoming viable starting QB's by 2019.

If the Texans can find a couple of more picks in this draft, I'd be all in on addressing a couple of luxury picks such as TE and QB. If 7 is the number, I want to address other offensive issues that start solving the foundation issues with this offense. The Texans could move up in RD 1 of the 2018 Draft and take their future QB, while adding a feature TE as well. The rest of the 2017 offensive unit will be a year better.

Comment

The savage Er.....a........... aaaannnnd down goes savage, injured again.

I like Tom though, but darn the man gets injured alot.

And nobody knows what were doing at O-line. Rick Smith hates linemen and would rather get bargain guys to start.
            THE Anti troll

Comment

What I want,

1. Mahomes
              2. OL
              3. OL
              4. BPA of need

What I expect to happen,

1. OL
              2. Webb from Cal
              I would be good with OL at 1 and Webb at 2. I didn't know a great deal about Webb but then I read a biography on him and like what I read. Coaches son, student of the game, natural leader (team captain), hard worker, etc...

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/14/n...-obi-melifonwu

Plus, he is from Texas. I hope we do draft him with our 2nd round.

Comment

Originally posted by texun View Post

I would be good with OL at 1 and Webb at 2. I didn't know a great deal about Webb but then I read a biography on him and like what I read. Coaches son, student of the game, natural leader (team captain), hard worker, etc...

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/14/n...-obi-melifonwu

Plus, he is from Texas. I hope we do draft him with our 2nd round.
                Smith has the awful track record for picks between rounds 2 and about 5. Nobody knows what to make of it. He is ranked bottom (#28 or 29) of all GMs on middle round picks. I saw on another teams board they feel like he is so happy to get his top guy he isn't focused till day 3. With his record it seems like that might be a true situation. So, anyone who is drafted middle rounds is 50/50 at best. I pray QB is round 1 otherwise I hope Savage and Weeden are good enough to get us 9-7 or better. Savage looks like he has the tools but keeps getting hurt
                JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

Smith has the awful track record for picks between rounds 2 and about 5. Nobody knows what to make of it. He is ranked bottom (#28 or 29) of all GMs on middle round picks. I saw on another teams board they feel like he is so happy to get his top guy he isn't focused till day 3. With his record it seems like that might be a true situation. So, anyone who is drafted middle rounds is 50/50 at best. I pray QB is round 1 otherwise I hope Savage and Weeden are good enough to get us 9-7 or better. Savage looks like he has the tools but keeps getting hurt
                  Thats the 60 million dollar question ? I think Savage if protected can get 8 or 9 wins and the D should be good for another 3 or 4 so theres that range were looking for . I also have more faith in BW then most of the talking heads out there if Savage is injured . We must get a solid O-line with depth . RT is the glaring hole imho . Manzc to Guard , Martin at Center and X-filo out to RT see how that works in camp would be a start . You can switch those 3 any way you like and bring in some UDFA depth .

Comment

What I want,

1. Mahomes
                    2. OL
                    3. OL
                    4. BPA of need

What I expect to happen,

1. OL
                    2. Webb from Cal
                    I get where you're coming from, but it would be a very long shot for a rookie to start for Texans this season.
                    It has to be a yet to come vet, Tom Savage or Brandon Weedon.
                    Even a new vet will need time to adjust and learn the system so I am resigned to seeing what Tom can do with the knowledge he is the starter.
                    So, we must give him every chance and build a line for him and give him a super solid running game to take the pressure of him needing to throw to win games.
                    I think we have the receivers to support him so line and ground game are priorities.
                    Personally, I would not be upset if they took Christian McCaffery in the first, but I just don't see Texans doing that.
                    1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

I'm veteran QB shopping as an insurance piece, not to supplant Savage and Weeden. That's why I would've signed Keenum for a season. He's a team guy, not going to create friction within the locker room and he's a competitor, which would push both Savage and Weeden to be better.

As for 2018, QB is at the top of the list if Savage and/or Weeden aren't panning out after another 9-7 season. I'll include a TE and another OL on that list as well. If moving up to nab the chosen one is the order of the day, then I'm doing everything necessary to make this happen, even if I'm forced to mortgage a 2019 pick or two.
                      Last edited by Optimistic; 04-11-2017, 07:12 AM.

Comment

2014 and 2015 placed on IR. I'm only concerned with his injury proneness with the limited times he's been in.

Comment

Originally posted by CorpusTexan View Post
                          2014 and 2015 placed on IR. I'm only concerned with his injury proneness with the limited times he's been in.
                          2015 did not require IR. That was a choice the team made. Savage could've been back on the field by game 7 or 8. At the time, it was a good move by the FO since it gave him a whole season to do nothing more than learn the playbook front to back. Remember, Obie and offensive coaches quizzed him daily on playbook knowledge. That counts as no pressure development time. Obie was ready to insert his guy for the 2016 season. But...

RS convinced McNair that Osweiler was the missing piece to this offense and Obie had wasted his time developing Savage for 2 seasons. Savage missed his arrival party in favor of RS's hand-picked QB. Osweiler failed miserably, Obie yanks RS's guy and replaces him with Savage....then Savage incurs a mystery hit that was soooo severe he had a time delayed concussion....then the biggest mystery of all, he had a complete relapse after clearing concussion protocol. Judging by Savage's actions on the sideline after hearing about his injury...he wasn't in on RS's plan to get Osweiler back on the field. That's called riding your 72M pony to the finish line....regardless of the fact he was running 32 links behind the leader.
                          Last edited by Optimistic; 04-11-2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me if they don't pick a QB in this draft. May get protection and weapons in this years draft and draft a QB next year when the draft is deep in QBs

Comment

So much is written based on nothing more than speculation whether original or repeating the speculation of others. I can't imagine it's as cut and dry as many here say.
                              https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Working...
                              X