Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill O'Brien has Strong Support from Inside the Houston Texans Locker Room

Bill O'Brien has Strong Support from Inside the Houston Texans Locker Room

Bill O’Brien and his future with the Houston Texans has been discussed at length outside of the organization. O’Brien inked a 5-year deal with the Texans when he signed on to be the head coach in 2014 and, with 2 years left on that deal, questions are swirling on whether he will remain with the team.

“I’ll be honest, I really don’t think about my contract. I really don’t. I think about preparing for the offseason.” said O’Brien in March at the Owner’s Meetings. “In the past, if you look at Mr. McNair’s track record with those kind of things, that’s what he does. He did the same thing with Coach (Gary) Kubiak – extended him going into the last year of his contract. I think he did it twice. So, I don’t think about it. I know that when Mr. McNair wants to sit down and talk about those things, I know we’ll sit down and talk about it. I’m focused on coaching this team and doing as good a job as I can of helping our staff coach and helping our players get better.”

Owner Bob McNair has been in wait-and-see mode concerning his head coach as the team met with the media on Monday at the opening of off-season workouts. The players came out early supporting their head coach.

DeAndre Hopkins had an interesting season in 2016 with a dip in his numbers compared to his 2014-2015 seasons. O’Brien backed Hopkins in the off-season and the Texans wide receiver took notice.

“It’s great when you have a coach like this that’s always on your side. A down season, you know, it’s a team sport. It’s not one player out there playing,“ Hopkins stated, his reciprocal support for O’Brien clear. “So, to have a coach like that on your side all the time, it spreads throughout the locker room.”

Offensive lineman David Quessenberry who is working his way back to the field after battling lymphoma the past three years discussed how important O’Brien was to him during the process.

“He has had my back through this whole thing. We’ve gotten close. He has his own struggles in his family and I have mine. He has had a lot of wisdom on the way to approach things when it’s your body and you’re going through your own fights,” Quessenberry said of O’Brien. “That’s something that I’ve always kind of cherished and been fortunate to have with him since he got here and before I got diagnosed. He’s just been great.”

Quarterback Tom Savage was drafted by O’Brien in 2014 and spent time with him during the draft process. Savage has been the one constant in the quarterback room and has not overlooked how much O’Brien has pushed him since he arrived.

“I love the guy. That’s what I look forward to, is going to practice every day. He’s going to be hard on me. That’s what you want as a quarterback.” Savage explained. “He’s the type of guy that is always talking shop with you and that’s the type of guy you want to go out there and you want to brawl for.”

Posting a 27-21 record the past three seasons with the Texans and achieving two AFC South division titles, those are not the ultimate goal for O’Brien and the Texans. The only coach to have a winning record in three consecutive seasons in franchise history is not being overlooked by his players. The players inside the Texans locker room undoubtedly appreciate what O’Brien brings to the team.
    Last edited by H2O4me; 1 week ago.
    I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

read this today which if true is interesting
    https://www.profootballrumors.com/20...-in-jay-cutler

camp moving to Virginia, and this maybe OB is gaining some power
    sigpic

Comment

Sadly for now the 2 links below are true. McNair needs to give OB some power.

Smith, who oversees all personnel decisions, had one year left on his second contract with the Texans, so his extension will take him through the 2020 draft.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron...ct-8658177.php

And this is why some misunderstand how much power and lack of power Smith and OB has.

https://www.google.com/amp/profootba...-showdown/amp/
      JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

I have the sneaking suspicion that both BOB and RS are way over their collective heads.
        THE Anti troll

Comment

Originally posted by MachineToss View Post
          I have the sneaking suspicion that both BOB and RS are way over their collective heads.
          OB has shown he isn't. Even with scrap heap QBs he has had 3 9-7 seasons and the D has been improving yearly. Now Smith, he is not the top person to be making picks or controlling who OB has to coach. Yet he is. I hope OB has more say in this draft but we don't have any idea if McNair has given him more.

Guess we wait and see

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

OB has shown he isn't. Even with scrap heap QBs he has had 3 9-7 seasons and the D has been improving yearly. Now Smith, he is not the top person to be making picks or controlling who OB has to coach. Yet he is. I hope OB has more say in this draft but we don't have any idea if McNair has given him more.

Guess we wait and see
            I agree we as fans need to get a Petition together so McNair is VERY aware how much the fans like this HC , and have faith he will get us to the SB hopefully soon and multiple times ?

Comment

Originally posted by methos838 View Post

I agree we as fans need to get a Petition together so McNair is VERY aware how much the fans like this HC , and have faith he will get us to the SB hopefully soon and multiple times ?
              Smith would burn the petition. He is not an OB fan he has a thing for Lovie Smith.

I say contact McClain with letters and he will know how to get them to McNair. Also social media post on Twitter, Facebook and so on that as fans we demand better for our HC and our GM needs to be 50-50 on personal. Make a group and share it with the Texans pages/sites.

May or may not help, but doing nothing is not going to help

Comment

I never thought fans had this much love for OB. Other forums want him fired and think he is a joke of a coach. I left because I see what we have as a HC and I am greatful he is our coach. He is the man hands down better than anything we have ever had which isn't saying much because Capers and Kubiak both had great opportunity but had their flaws O'Brien is keeping us above .500 with the QBs we have had. Look that Jets did with Fitz. What did Chicago do with Hoyer? What is Cleveland going to do with Brock? NOT the level that OB had them playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

Smith would burn the petition. He is not an OB fan he has a thing for Lovie Smith.

I say contact McClain with letters and he will know how to get them to McNair. Also social media post on Twitter, Facebook and so on that as fans we demand better for our HC and our GM needs to be 50-50 on personal. Make a group and share it with the Texans pages/sites.

May or may not help, but doing nothing is not going to help
                  Im good with that we can sign it pass it to other Fan sites FB , Twitter everywhere we can , and good idea get it to McClain he will do a write up that RS , OB and McNair will see !! Im not eloquent with words so whoever can write it to convey the message the best Im on board 100% !!!

Comment

Originally posted by canyon1 View Post
                    I never thought fans had this much love for OB. Other forums want him fired and think he is a joke of a coach. I left because I see what we have as a HC and I am greatful he is our coach. He is the man hands down better than anything we have ever had which isn't saying much because Capers and Kubiak both had great opportunity but had their flaws O'Brien is keeping us above .500 with the QBs we have had. Look that Jets did with Fitz. What did Chicago do with Hoyer? What is Cleveland going to do with Brock? NOT the level that OB had them playing.
                    OB has the Players Respect and with that any decent HC can win imo . Those guys go to WAR on Sundays for each other and their HC . I have no doubt he will get a Championship here if hes given the time/chance/players on O .

Comment

I never thought fans had this much love for OB...
                      NFL people understand how good a coach O'Brien is. There were more than a handful of teams waiting/hoping Rick would fire O'Brien so they could snatch him up. There are more than a couple already waiting for O'Brien after 2017 -- his feet will not touch the ground.

Other forums want him fired and think he is a joke of a coach...
                      People spend too much time listening to the local sports gossip radio mowrons. Football people know differently. People who make a living in pro football are shaking their heads at the local yokels.

And the players love him. I've spoken to a few, and this is the locker-room sentiment. They were non too happy when Brockweiler was brought in, and less so once they saw him in TC.

It's akin to the entire football nation knowing Brockweiler was a mistake before he played a down, but we were myopically optimistic.

When O'Brien leaves, the football nation will laugh at us. It will be compared to Belichick leaving the Cleveland Browns.

The idea that everybody else in the country is wrong and the guys at NRG are right is a joke that's been repeated before. Gary Kubiak and Wade Smith left and won a Super Bowl.

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it” -- Santayana
                      I don't think there's a love affair going on between the front office and Bill O'Brien, good chance of a mutual separation after 2017. -- Lance Zierlein and Jayson Braddock

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post

NFL people understand how good a coach O'Brien is. There were more than a handful of teams waiting/hoping Rick would fire O'Brien so they could snatch him up. There are more than a couple already waiting for O'Brien after 2017 -- his feet will not touch the ground.
                        What are the chances that McNair plays the wildcard here? Make O'Brien an offer he can't refuse and force Rick to go along with it?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post
                          What are the chances that McNair plays the wildcard here? Make O'Brien an offer he can't refuse and force Rick to go along with it?
                          I can't say, there's too many moving parts here for me to gauge with any certainty. Will McNair stop interfering in football decisions? Will McNair cease the short-term "win it all this year or bust" planning that he has imposed on the organization and allow for a longer term outlook to be included in the strategic planning? Will he bring in another GM level mind to work with Rick, Billy. Does Billy think there's a way to win it all with this owner or within the current organizational structure? Would Billy rather work with a GM he knows sees the challenge through similar eyes, one who reached out to hire him? There's too much drama at NRG. There are too many leaks out of NRG. This has never been a tight ship built for war. There are 20 or 30 more questions to be answered. That's a lot of "ifs".

Comment

We very well may have a Cleveland / Belichick experience here real soon.

Will McNair have an Art Modell moment?

It was reprorted at the time that Modell actually told Kraft that it would be a mistake for him to hire Belichick.

And the godfather wants who to be our coach? Are we a FUBAR franchise?
                            Last edited by cuppacoffee; 1 week ago.
                            Religion, it's the process of worshipping the messenger and ignoring the message.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelBluCurtain View Post

Depends on 1 thing

How much does McNair like 9-7 and building if he gives OB 1/2 personal control.

VS

How much trust does he REALLY have in Smith to build a consistent winning team with him alone controlling the personal.

If he loves what OB is doing so far, he might just go ahead and give him more control in an effort to get the team better faster. If he trusts Smith 150%...OB will walk away after year 5 and we will get a HC (Lovie Smith probably) and rebuild. McNair needs to see OB need more input on players that are drafted or FAs or we will keep getting in "Brock situations" just pray not that bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X