Welcome QB Deshaun Watson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marshall View Post

Everybody jumped on the Luck bandwagon and have stayed on it. I really don't understand why. He's good, but I haven't see the greatness.
    AgreedI haven't seen greatness either. My thing is the Colts doesn't follow that old school chain of thought saying a rookie QB should sit a year or two. They got their guy and threw him out there to the wolves.
    sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Texanballer View Post

AgreedI haven't seen greatness either. My thing is the Colts doesn't follow that old school chain of thought saying a rookie QB should sit a year or two. They got their guy and threw him out there to the wolves.
      I think that's because they had to. When Manning went down for a year, they really didn't have a decent option other than starting the rookie. I don't remember the circumstances when Payton was drafted.
      https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

I think that's because they had to. When Manning went down for a year, they really didn't have a decent option other than starting the rookie. I don't remember the circumstances when Payton was drafted.
        Our situation isn't better either. Savage is an injury waiting to happen. Weeden is clearly a third stringer.

They aren't really confident in either one of those guys. If they were, we won't have went through these crazy QB changes.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by shishkabob View Post

it's like you do zero research before posting anything on here Matt

First All of brady's scouting reports coming out said he had a weak arm. which he did, it wasn't as strong as it is today. Strength is something you can build, and I guarantee if they took his velocity at the combine it wouldn't have hit the 55 mph threshold.
          http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/stor...-report-030317

Also if you have watched any of Watsons tape you know he can change his throws, like many other good qbs do. However I don't expect you to watch or comprehend them so here is another link for you to read in which it states he has a full inventory of throws
          https://www.profootballfocus.com/dra...on-qb-clemson/
          If you didnt say it, I was going to. Not to mention he said "Brady had a good release and a good arm coming into the NFL." Then turned around and said Brady couldnt be scouted like Watson was due to advances in technology and scouting techniques. So did Brady have a good arm, or was it untestable? Lol

And you are correct.. I have stated many times that watson doesnt really have a cannon, but hes capable of making every throw. He throws the necessary ball. Yes his deep ball accuracy isnt as good as his short and intermediate game, but he threw plenty of passes 30+ YDS. if he can complete one or two of those per game, will fuller might just have 16 touchdowns this year. Lol
          sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

• I have a question:

How many quarterbacks are actually accurate throwing the deep ball? I don't think its many.
            sigpic

Comment

I have a question:

How many quarterbacks are actually accurate throwing the deep ball? I don't think its many.
              It depends on how fast their wide receivers are. Ha!
              I think a lot of this is chemistry between the qb and WR. Guys run at different speeds. A deep ball is calculated by how fast a guy can run so an accurate pass may be too long if a guy doesn't run a good route or is just not as fast as the qb calculated. But I would venture to say that most NFL starting qb's can throw a pretty accurate deep ball to a stationary target. I think the thing that makes it so hard is not only the focus and concentration a qb has to have blocking out distractions and pinpointing where the ball needs to be and how fast is the guy he is throwing to.
              Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
              TexansCap.com

Comment

Everybody jumped on the Luck bandwagon and have stayed on it. I really don't understand why. He's good, but I haven't see the greatness.
                They banked on his quick read and release capabilities....then got him more than a few receiving weapons. Great! The FO missed on 2 very important ingredients in regards to their possibilities on offense....how do you protect your QB and off-set the potential of becoming one-dimensional? It really didn't take that long for their master plan of burning defenses to come tumbling down when the team continued to ignore the need of giving "Franchise QB, Luck" an OL and running game to protect him and his receivers.

Man, I really thought every NFL franchise had taken notes of what not to do when they think they have obtained the services of a potential "Franchise QB" after watching the Texans destroy their young investment into David Carr. Colts seem hell-bent on watching their "Franchise QB" get carted off the field on an annual basis. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there isn't one (1) "Franchise QB- Current or Legend" that can or could overcome a piss-poor OL, no running game and below average play from their TE's. On a side note...I've observed some fairly average QB's make it "to" or "win" the Super Bowl with all other facets of their team performing well above average.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yosarian View Post

It depends on how fast their wide receivers are. Ha!
                  I think a lot of this is chemistry between the qb and WR. Guys run at different speeds. A deep ball is calculated by how fast a guy can run so an accurate pass may be too long if a guy doesn't run a good route or is just not as fast as the qb calculated. But I would venture to say that most NFL starting qb's can throw a pretty accurate deep ball to a stationary target. I think the thing that makes it so hard is not only the focus and concentration a qb has to have blocking out distractions and pinpointing where the ball needs to be and how fast is the guy he is throwing to.
                  Great breakdown Yos. I would toss in ball placement. The defender could be running neck to neck with the receiver. Or what if the DB knock the timing off with his jam.
                  sigpic

Comment

• How NFL teams should unleash top rookies

Matt Bowen/ESPN
                    Now that the draft is over, coaches around the NFL are searching for ways to utilize their rookies. With Deshaun Watson in Houston, coach Bill O'Brien has a versatile weapon at quarterback who will need to be put in advantageous situations to produce numbers as a rookie.

I went to the pro tape to find proven schemes that would help the following 10 rookies excel this season in the NFL: Watson (Houston), S/LB Jabrill Peppers(Cleveland), TE O.J. Howard (Tampa Bay), RB Christian McCaffrey (Carolina), S Jamal Adams (New York Jets), WR Corey Davis (Tennessee), RB Dalvin Cook(Minnesota), TE Evan Engram (New York Giants), CB Kevin King (Green Bay) and WR Mike Williams (L.A. Chargers). Let's take a look.
                    Deshaun Watson, QB, Houston Texans

Along with the standard pro-style schemes we see on the Houston tape, O'Brien and his offensive staff can facilitate more production with concepts that fit Watson's athleticism and ability to anticipate throwing windows. Think of more movement passes (sprint, boot), RPOs (run-pass options) and QB-designed runs. That's how you cater the playbook to match the athleticism of Watson while generating stress for opposing defenses. Want an example? Check out this scheme from Andy Reid's offense in Kansas City versus the Jets' man-coverage defense:

This pairs a counter-run scheme with a basic slant-flat (or bubble) route concept. The run action removes the second-level defenders and gives QB Alex Smith an easy read. Take the open window and hit the slant (yellow circle). All day.

We know Watson will have to show steady development in the Texans' core offensive playbook to win the No. 1 job coming out of camp. However, given Watson's mobility and the system he ran at Clemson, O'Brien should look to the Chiefs' playbook -- as well as the Seahawks' and Cowboys' -- to find plays that mesh with the rookie QB's skill set.
                    Disagree. "QB designed runs" and RPOs are a great way to get Watson killed. He needs to learn how to play from the pocket.
                    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

• He played from the pocket in college H2O4me.

And we don't have to worry about those type of plays because we know Bill O'Brien will not run them.
                      Last edited by Texanballer; 1 week ago.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have a question:

Deep ball is one of the lowest percentage throws in the league. I dont really expect a guy to hit it much more than 50% of the time. You take 6 shots a game and connect on 3... Our offense is rolling. Brock threw six and connected on 1 or 2. Dont see how Watson wouldnt be an improvement in every way.
                        sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

• Tell it like it is big Vince

sigpic

Comment

Great breakdown Yos. I would toss in ball placement. The defender could be running neck to neck with the receiver. Or what if the DB knock the timing off with his jam.
                            Exactly. Or the wind can wreak havoc on a deep ball. There are so many variables, the best way to complete these is to have a great receiver and throw it up and let the WR make the catch. Randy Moss style. Antonio Brown is good at this too and he doesn't have the jump that Moss had. It's something that a qb and WR have a connection together to make it work and have success doing it at a high percentage.
                            Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
                            TexansCap.com

Comment

• It starts, most knew it was. According to this, if Watson busts...guess who gets blamed? And guess who's idea it was to pull off the Brock to Browns deal?

Sorry, but the reverse of who is said to be behind the 2 things is more likely the truth. But, as H2O4ME pointed out, the 1 person who will get nailed with all blame for things if he leaves is OB. And now this article appears. I have been reading stuff on this site for a long time and so far no matter who wrote it most likely it tends to be true in 1 way or another.

'Deshaun Watson bought Bill O'Brien more time with Texans'
                              http://torotimes.com/2017/05/17/hous...ien-more-time/
                              JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
                                It starts, most knew it was. According to this, if Watson busts...guess who gets blamed? And guess who's idea it was to pull off the Brock to Browns deal?

Sorry, but the reverse of who is said to be behind the 2 things is more likely the truth. But, as H2O4ME pointed out, the 1 person who will get nailed with all blame for things if he leaves is OB. And now this article appears. I have been reading stuff on this site for a long time and so far no matter who wrote it most likely it tends to be true in 1 way or another.

'Deshaun Watson bought Bill O'Brien more time with Texans'
                                http://torotimes.com/2017/05/17/hous...ien-more-time/
                                The writer is guessing, he doesn't know exactly how things went down or what was said. But i will agree that it was a collaborative decision by both parties.

In a collaborative effort the two men scouted each collegiate quarterback and found their man, Clemson’s Deshaun Watson.
                                O’Brien saw a young signal-caller equipped with a quick release, mobility, accuracy, and the best understanding of reading defenses in the 2017 draft class.

Smith saw a winner, and was open to taking a chance on Watson. And that is exactly what O’Brien did.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X