Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Rodgers hopes Deshaun Watson 'gets to come along at his own pace'

ESPN
    Aaron Rodgers hasn’t met Deshaun Watson, but the two-time MVP said he is already impressed by what he has seen and heard about the Houston Texans' first-round draft pick.

“He seems like a great young man,” the Green Bay Packers quarterback said in an interview with WYFF-TV at the BMW Charity Pro-Am golf tournament in Greer, South Carolina. “Obviously very talented. He had a fantastic career. Incredible last game (at Clemson). To throw a little option route right there on the goal line to his little receiver to win (the national championship) was fantastic. He’s had a great career."

Watson, who led Clemson past Alabama for the national title, is in his first week with Houston after starting rookie minicamp last Friday. Texans coach Bill O’Brien said Watson is “a hardworking guy” who pays attention in meetings, is competitive and a lot of fun to work with. And while Watson is battling current starter Tom Savage for the chance to be under center for Week 1, Rodgers said he thinks Watson has put himself in a position to “play effectively.”

“I got to learn for three years behind a legend, and that was great for me,” Rodgers said of his time backing up Brett Favre. “I think you’re seeing the quarterbacks now coming in a lot more ready to play more than I was 13 years ago. I think he’s really put himself in a position to play and play effectively. My hope for him would be that he gets to come along at his own pace and gets in there when he’s ready and has a great career, because like I said, I’ve heard nothing but good things about him.”

Rodgers said Watson is in a good place because he is already surrounded by the elements needed to succeed.

“The key for a young quarterback is really your supporting cast,” Rodgers said. “And he’s going to a team that has some really good pieces in place. You’ve got one of the top receivers in the game in DeAndre [Hopkins], you have a solid defense with J.J. [Watt] coming back off his injury and the way that [Jadeveon] Clowney played last year, and [Brian] Cushing in the middle. So I think the pieces will be in place.

“Bill O’Brien is a very well-respected coach in this game, and if you watched 'Hard Knocks,' I think you appreciate his personality a little bit, too, the way that he coaches those guys.”
    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
      'Deshaun Watson bought Bill O'Brien more time with Texans'
      http://torotimes.com/2017/05/17/hous...ien-more-time/
      Everything below is some kumbaya fiction made up by whoever that blogger is(with his 280 followers)...
      What happened after the trade signals a system of trust between general manager and head coach.

In a collaborative effort the two men scouted each collegiate quarterback and found their man, Clemson痴 Deshaun Watson.

O達rien saw a young signal-caller equipped with a quick release, mobility, accuracy, and the best understanding of reading defenses in the 2017 draft class.

Smith saw a winner, and was open to taking a chance on Watson. And that is exactly what O達rien did.

With his job in jeopardy, O達rien needed to buy himself time. He needed to do things his way.

O達rien somehow convinced a timid and conservative general manager in Smith to trade away two first round picks, a second round pick, and a sixth round pick to flip Osweiler for Watson.

O達rien knows his time is running out, but with the selection of Watson, he may have just bought himself a bit more.
      If you like local crowdsourced blogger sites you'd do better with BattleRedBlog, imo.

Or better yet, listen to Lance. Nobody locally is as plugged in as LZ is.
      In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

• I saw that one too.. With as much praise as Rodgers has for Hopkins and the Texans.. Youd think they wouldve tried bringing him in here lol its not hard to imagine what rodgers could do on this team...
        sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

• For those of you that are non-believers, are you going to do the backpeddle when Watson leads your team to the Super Bowl? I've been watching this kid since high school, and is flat out a winner. Who gives a rats butt about his "exit velocity". The man is a winner, plain and simple. He makes the guys around him better. He will get the ball to the play makers and let them do their thing. You want to talk about his interceptions? Then let's talk about how many happened due to the receiver running the wrong route, or tipped balls off receivers hands, or how about just simply outstanding plays by the defense. The Texans fan base grew by about 100,000 or more when they drafted Watson and was solidified by drafting Watkins, me included. Watson may not start from day 1, but he is a leader, on and off the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by ClemsonTexan View Post
            For those of you that are non-believers, are you going to do the backpeddle when Watson leads your team to the Super Bowl? I've been watching this kid since high school, and is flat out a winner. Who gives a rats butt about his "exit velocity". The man is a winner, plain and simple. He makes the guys around him better. He will get the ball to the play makers and let them do their thing. You want to talk about his interceptions? Then let's talk about how many happened due to the receiver running the wrong route, or tipped balls off receivers hands, or how about just simply outstanding plays by the defense. The Texans fan base grew by about 100,000 or more when they drafted Watson and was solidified by drafting Watkins, me included. Watson may not start from day 1, but he is a leader, on and off the field.

Easy Tiger. Clemson pun intended lol. First of all welcome. Second of all, most of us are split on Watson. I personally think he has a lot to offer, but needs a little time to adjust and learn the playbook so he can come out guns blazing instead of having to learn everything while being chased down by 300 lb linemen. We really wont know until we see him in an NFL game. Ive seen several of his games and I agree 100% that he has that factor that makes people rally around him. But he also has some things he needs to clean up. Check out my profile and look back at my posts about watson. I mentioned that he threw 17 ints.. But also threw 41 tds. Thats a super bowl appearance in the nfl. But most guys coming into the league throw more ints and fewer tds. So it may be closer to 30 tds and 20 ints.. Which is blake bortles territory. Most guys on here have high hopes for him.. But we have been burned so many times in the past we are somewhat skeptical of any new qb coming in here. There are people on this forum that would complain if we brought in Tom Brady. So dont take it too seriously. Just share your opinions and give us all the info you can about the Clemson guys youve seen. Personally.. Im just as excited to see some more DJ Reader and Carlos Watkins as I am to see Watson. So in a nutshell.. Welcome. Its always good to have new people join the team. Cant wait to hear more from you and hope you post regularly. Dont let these guys get to you.. And try not to get to them either. Some of the vets are old and cranky and are looking for fisticuffs. Lol Welcome to the Bull Pen.
            sigpic

Official Texans Beer Thread Creator

Comment

• Originally posted by ClemsonTexan View Post
              For those of you that are non-believers, are you going to do the backpeddle when Watson leads your team to the Super Bowl? I've been watching this kid since high school, and is flat out a winner. Who gives a rats butt about his "exit velocity". The man is a winner, plain and simple. He makes the guys around him better. He will get the ball to the play makers and let them do their thing. You want to talk about his interceptions? Then let's talk about how many happened due to the receiver running the wrong route, or tipped balls off receivers hands, or how about just simply outstanding plays by the defense. The Texans fan base grew by about 100,000 or more when they drafted Watson and was solidified by drafting Watkins, me included. Watson may not start from day 1, but he is a leader, on and off the field.
              Welcome to the boards. I have a ton of faith in Savage and I hope he can stay healthy long enough for Watson to get up to speed. So..do you know anything about his big toe? Just kidding.
              I am on board with Watson. About time we got a qb in the first round. I have yet to go watch his film but I will! So I can't talk intelligently about his game yet but glad to have some of his fans come on board to fill us in.
              Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
              TexansCap.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ArkhamKnight92 View Post

Easy Tiger. Clemson pun intended lol. First of all welcome. Second of all, most of us are split on Watson. I personally think he has a lot to offer, but needs a little time to adjust and learn the playbook so he can come out guns blazing instead of having to learn everything while being chased down by 300 lb linemen. We really wont know until we see him in an NFL game. Ive seen several of his games and I agree 100% that he has that factor that makes people rally around him. But he also has some things he needs to clean up. Check out my profile and look back at my posts about watson. I mentioned that he threw 17 ints.. But also threw 41 tds. Thats a super bowl appearance in the nfl. But most guys coming into the league throw more ints and fewer tds. So it may be closer to 30 tds and 20 ints.. Which is blake bortles territory. Most guys on here have high hopes for him.. But we have been burned so many times in the past we are somewhat skeptical of any new qb coming in here. There are people on this forum that would complain if we brought in Tom Brady. So dont take it too seriously. Just share your opinions and give us all the info you can about the Clemson guys youve seen. Personally.. Im just as excited to see some more DJ Reader and Carlos Watkins as I am to see Watson. So in a nutshell.. Welcome. Its always good to have new people join the team. Cant wait to hear more from you and hope you post regularly. Dont let these guys get to you.. And try not to get to them either. Some of the vets are old and cranky and are looking for fisticuffs. Lol Welcome to the Bull Pen.
                Im in the camp of starting him on day 1. I've seen what Savage offers and its not impressive at all. We really don't have that type of time anyways. They want to win now.
                sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

• http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery...rescott-050917 Nice read about possibility of Rookie of the Year.

$ In Bill We Trust &

Comment

• QB projection for 2017-2018 seaseon

Deshaun Watson, QB, Texans. Bye: 7.
                    The Texans did not trade next year's first-round pick for Deshaun Watson, just to start Tom Savage. Watson is actually a QB2 possibility, thanks to his prospective rushing numbers.

Projected 2017 Fantasy Stats: 2,800 passing yards. 16 passing TDs. 15 INTs. 450 rushing yards. 4 rushing TDs.
                    Projected 2017 Fantasy Points (ESPN Scoring): 215.
                    Read more at http://walterfootball.com/fantasy201...tZELqB0CRvT.99

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post

Im in the camp of starting him on day 1. I've seen what Savage offers and its not impressive at all. We really don't have that type of time anyways. They want to win now.
                    Then we have the wrong QB. Watson might be ready to play mid season but if you start him day 1 unless they have fixed his D reading and accuracy and the OL you have David Carr 2.0
                    JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

• Why play him mid season. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. This is not high school or college. If Savage does start day one, the only way you pull him is he gets injured or completely skit the bed and we're out of playoffs contentions.

We should be tired of this QB circus in Houston.

And please get off the Carr 2.0 nonsense. Thst stuff doesn't happen all the times. AGAIN it didnt happen to Russell, Newton RG3 (in his rookie year) Wentz, Luck or Winston. You guys are damaged mentally or too stuck in that old school way of thinking.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post
                        QB projection for 2017-2018 seaseon

Deshaun Watson, QB, Texans. Bye: 7.
                        The Texans did not trade next year's first-round pick for Deshaun Watson, just to start Tom Savage. Watson is actually a QB2 possibility, thanks to his prospective rushing numbers.

Projected 2017 Fantasy Stats: 2,800 passing yards. 16 passing TDs. 15 INTs. 450 rushing yards. 4 rushing TDs.
                        Projected 2017 Fantasy Points (ESPN Scoring): 215.
                        Read more at http://walterfootball.com/fantasy201...tZELqB0CRvT.99

Then we have the wrong QB. Watson might be ready to play mid season but if you start him day 1 unless they have fixed his D reading and accuracy and the OL you have David Carr 2.0

What accuracy issues are you talking about. There are a lot of reports out there saying otherwise Matt. I will tell you this again stop believing everything you read or hear. Go watch all of his games yourself, that way you can actually evaluate him yourself.

Dude had no problems with carving up AlabamaAlabama's defense twice and Ohio States top rated defense. So where are you getting that nonsense from?
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Texanballer View Post

What accuracy issues are you talking about. There are a lot of reports out there saying otherwise Matt. I will tell you this again stop believing everything you read or hear. Go watch all of his games yourself, that way you can actually evaluate him yourself.

Dude had no problems with carving up AlabamaAlabama's defense twice and Ohio States top rated defense. So where are you getting that nonsense from?
                          I have watched his games, if you go back to about the 1st 4 games I said he would be the top pick and if we somehow got lucky he would drop to us.

Fastforward and after watching more games, while I love his leadership I saw a few things about him that I didn't want him. 1- Speaks for itself in a QB friendly system he tossed 17 picks and it could have easily been over 20 had Williams not saved a few and a couple others dropped by defenders. 2- That leads to this, accuracy. You don't toss that many INTs if your accurate. Maybe 6-8 not 17. 3- He reads the front and goes off what he seems or expects. He has issues adjusting when he for example sees blitz and plays like one is coming. Problem with this is when both safeties are in or near the box and they drop. He hesitates enough for them to react to him. See the NCG for a great example of that, seeing he did my example on 1 of his picks and misread another one and tossed it out of bounds.

So yes, he has issues with adjustments on reading the D and he is either inaccurate or trusted his arm strength too much. He doesn't have a big arm so he really needs to practice and not play if that's the reason. You have to coach either out of a player and against NFL players he has less margin for error than he did in school.

The OL wasn't good last year and it might or might not be great to start the season. If it's not you saw how well a bad OL (worse than now by a bit) helped Carr. It destroyed him, he was said to be amazing both here and with the Giants in practice and being rushed. He looked decent his 1st 4 games here, but big hit after big hit and he got gun shy. Not what any rookie QB needs. Getting hammered every down is not how you develop a player it's how you destroy one. McNair has even said playing him with that situation was a mistake and he has taken some of the blame for it over the years upon himself as he learns more about pro football vs high school or something that is not as complex or as fast.
                          JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

• Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
                            What accuracy issues are you talking about.
                            These accuracy issues:

Josh McCown, 15 year NFL QB
                            McCown: For any college player, but Deshaun especially, I think it’ll be important to continue to be more consistent with the football and accuracy and decision-making. That will come as he grows. When you get to this level, accuracy is a premium. For guys to stay consistently at a high level is to put the ball where you want it.

Another NFL scout who studied Watson intently this season added: “He doesn’t have NFL accuracy. The timing throws, Bang 8 (skinny post) or a comeback throw, he doesn’t do any of that.”
                            NFL.com
                            WEAKNESSES

Frame is a little more slender than teams typically like. Accuracy runs hot and cold. Tends to over-stride on drive throws, causing release point to drop and balls to sail. Ball placement on crossing routes and slants needs to improve. Will leave throws behind intended targets. Deep-ball accuracy has been scatter-shot over his last two seasons at Clemson, with throws sailing well beyond his target. Design of offense limited his need to make full-field reads. Has to become adept at working through progressions and playing chess against safeties. Needs to let routes develop rather than rushing anticipatory throws. Too many interceptions due to lack of vision, placement or decision-making. Threw interception vs. Troy against bracketed coverage he didn't see. Baited into bad-decision interceptions twice by Florida State cornerbacks. Has issues improvising away from initial, pre-snap plan even when pathway to target becomes muddy. Shotgun quarterback who, like Jared Goff, could take time getting used to huddling, pace of play-calling and drop-backs from under center.
                            Matt Miller...
                            Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
                            2. Deshaun Watson, Clemson

POSITIVES

A two-year starter at Clemson預nd a two-time Heisman finalistDeshaun Watson has been one of the best players in college football during that time. He led Clemson to a national title game victory over Alabama in his junior season after losing to the Crimson Tide in a jaw-dropping performance the year before. On the field, Watson is a very good athlete. He excelled as a runner in 2015 (1,105 yards, 12 TDs) before developing into more of a pocket thrower in his final year. He has a quick, smooth release and an over-the-top motion. He痴 able to move his legs to set up passing windows and has enough arm to push the ball outside the hashes and down the field. Watson is an excellent leader and a high-character player. His teammates rallied around his toughness and poise throughout the last two years. Among the 2017 quarterback class, Watson is the most pro-ready. He痴 a proven winner and playmaker.

NEGATIVES

When viewing Watson, his total of 30 interceptions in the last two seasons has to be discussed. Too often he struggled to identify zone coverage (see the Pitt, Troy, Florida State and Ohio State games) that led to poor interceptions or near-misses. Often, Watson throws the ball up and bets on his big receivers to make plays on the ball. His deep-ball accuracy is inconsistent. No quarterback in college football had more skill-position talent around him. Watson also had 13 passes batted down in 2016, most of all draft-eligible quarterbacks. If Watson intends to be a runner in the NFL, he値l need to bulk up to add the power (especially in his lower body) to make plays. Overall, his accuracy is too inconsistent to be considered top-end. He値l have to speed up his decision-making and improve his spot-accuracy to be a top-tier NFL quarterback.
                            ProFootballFocus...
                            Steve Palazzolo‏ @PFF_Steve
                            More accuracy issues for Deshaun Watson under pressure
                            Dan Shonka, Ourlads Scouting Services... 16 year NFL Scout for PHI/WAS/KC,
                            NFL consultant, has a bit of credibility here, here...

Last edited by H2O4me; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Greg Cosell's NFL draft breakdown: Accomplished Deshaun Watson has areas to work on

Greg Cosell/Shutdown Corner
                              Because Deshaun Watson was a successful shotgun, speed/tempo spread quarterback in college, he’ll draw some comparisons to Marcus Mariota and Dak Prescott.

Watson might need an advantageous situation in the NFL, especially early on (like Prescott had with the Dallas Cowboys last season). In watching Watson’s film at Clemson, nothing in his game suggests he’s a big-time NFL prospect like Carson Wentz, Andrew Luck or Matthew Stafford when they came out of college. Watson is probably best suited as an orchestrator and distributor in a quick-game offense with quality skill position weapons. His ability to make plays out outside of the structure will enhance his value, though because of his size he’s probably not going to run a lot of read option or quarterback power/counter plays.

Here’s what I see as Watson’s strengths and weaknesses after watching his 2016 film:

STRENGTHS

One thing that has to be noted about Watson – and will be a factor for some NFL teams – is he is a very poised and composed player who has played in many big games and has experienced many big moments. His performance in the national championship game against Alabama will be remembered for a long time.

Physically, Watson is a natural thrower who spins it well. He’s more of a touch and pace thrower than a drive thrower, but he has a live arm. His arm is a little more live than Mitch Trubisky, another top prospect in this draft.

At times Watson showed the ability to make some tough sideline throws that demanded some velocity and precise ball placement. Let’s look at a nice throw on a 34-yard touchdown to Mike Williams against South Carolina. Once the safety stayed inside, Watson knew to throw the fade to Williams, a nicely schemed play in the offense. Watson did a good job with ball placement so Williams could make a play.

Here’s a well-designed play that Watson executed perfectly. On a bootleg action to the right, Watson threw back to the left to Jordan Leggett for a 31-yard touchdown that ended up beating Louisville. He delivered the pass with pressure coming – this is the type of play you can call for Watson in the NFL. He’ll give his team a boot-action passing game.

Watson has the athleticism and movement to make plays on the move, both throwing and running. There are playmaking tendencies with his ability to extend plays, and he’s normally a steady and consistent player who is effective within the context of the offense.

WEAKNESSES

A lot of the questions I have about Watson come from his play in the pocket. He’s not a comfortable pocket quarterback, and playing from the pocket has to be the foundation for any NFL quarterback. He’s not as good from the pocket as Trubisky.

My sense is Watson doesn’t see the field well. There are issues with his vision in the pocket and understanding and feel for route concepts. And for a quarterback who isn’t a turn-it-loose thrower and a risk taker, like Jameis Winston for example, Watson had too many bad reads and poor throws last season. He exhibited poor judgment too many times.

Here’s a three-man bunch concept on a fourth-and-5 against Auburn, with a well-designed concept. Instead of seeing the open receiver, Watson threw quickly over the middle to the clear-out receiver and the linebacker knocked it down. It was the wrong read on a play that was wide open.

Comment

• Cosell cont'd...

Watson threw two interceptions against Pitt that are troubling, especially for a quarterback who played as much in college as Watson. At the end of Clemson’s first drive, Watson threw to the end zone and it was an easy interception for the cornerback in zone coverage. That’s as bad as it gets for a veteran college quarterback.

On second-and-goal later in the game, Watson threw into traffic with no awareness of the defense. Again, this isn’t a mistake a veteran college quarterback can make.

There are other things NFL teams will have to evaluate with Watson: He can be erratic at times with ball placement, and his deep accuracy was definitely a concern last season. He is not a refined pocket mover; there’s too much of a tendency to look to leave the pocket. He also has a little bit of a hitch in his delivery, with a tendency to separate his feet rather than plant his back foot as he starts his throwing motion, which changes his eye level, negatively impacts vision and also impacts his ability to drive the ball.

TRANSITION TO NFL

How will NFL teams feel about Watson’s learning curve? Clemson’s pass game was very basic with routes and concepts. He has a lot to learn to run an NFL offense from the pocket.

There were some games in which Watson didn’t have great accuracy and missed too many routine throws. There are questions about his ability to drive the ball with velocity, though that could be a function of a Clemson offense that didn’t consistently demand he make those kinds of throws.

Watson may not be a building block, foundation quarterback for an NFL team. In my opinion, he has a similar skill set and physical traits to Alex Smith. Teams will have to figure out if he can develop as a pocket quarterback, become more consistently accurate and eliminate some bad decisions. In the right situation, that could happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X