Welcome QB Deshaun Watson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lrtexasman View Post
    Ughh..Watson has a historically bad arm.... His exit velocity was 49 MPH, compared to Mahomes 60, Webb 59. I dont know how far back you have to go to find a QB with as poor of a velocity rate. Terrible fit for our offense. This leads to OB being fired....Stupid. Led FBS in interceptions over last three years. Manziel blew up Alabama, howd that work out. He was completely lost on Gruden when it came to switching two plays. Give me a break, he's a total NFL project. I told everyone last year Fuller was a bust and could not catch a cold. I was right then and I am right now.

Yeah good thing you're not an nfl scout. After posting this, I don't see anyone taking you serious

Comment

• Impressive debut for Watson. Has uncommon poise.

Runs around too much, gonna get himself killed.

Solid start, plenty to build upon.

Comment

• Watson already better than savage it took savage going hurry up vs the 2s.
        Watson needs to play with the 1s.

Comment

• Great poise and pocket presence and release and running instincts. Will all that compensate for his low, backup QB-level velocity?

Comment

• Originally posted by tko54321 View Post
            Great poise and pocket presence and release and running instincts. Will all that compensate for his low, backup QB-level velocity?
            velocity seemed like a non issue tonight, also from every report from camp he has no velocity issues. the draft process is to long and people drum up stuff to create conversation.
            sigpic

Comment

• He had a shaky first couple of drives that I'd like to attribute to nerves in his first game, then he seemed to settle down and really impressed me as the game progressed. As others have mentioned, did not look like a rookie. I'd really like to see him run with the 1s next game to confirm that he looked good because he's ready, and not because he's playing 2s and 3s.

Comment

• NFL @NFL

That was a pretty solid night for Texans rookie QB Deshaun Watson. The quick passing game, boot, play pass and the ability to work through his reads. He looked comfortable running the offense. Plus, Watson showcased his mobility. That allowed the rookie to extend plays and pull the ball down to score on a TD run. Watson did miss on some throws, but the key here is the amount of reps he got tonight. There will be a lot of film to work with off this game and that creates opportunities to make corrections.
                Matt Bowen, ESPN Staff Writer

Comment

• i loved seeing Watson scramble out of the pocket, getting away from defenders whenever the o-line caved in... great awareness for a rookie, imo... he can feel them coming...

for the first time in probably ever, it felt good to see our QB have what seemed like an eternity to get the ball to where he wanted to place it or make a decision otherwise... his incompletions weren't all his fault...

he needs a some work on accuracy, but that's something that can be fixed with more reps with his receivers... he's aware of where his receivers are on the field despite of what all is going on around him... i'm not currently concerned with his release/velocity...

also, when he ran, I didn't feel like a rosencopter was inbound... I understand he wasn't playing against first team players, but it wasn't a bad performance for a rookie...

lastly, i have a strong feeling that we will see the rookie start sooner than later... it makes sense...

Comment

• I'm so ... hype but I'm too scared to commit on a Watson jersey yet and jinx it. Please just let the offense have a decent year

tho tbh it was even more hype to see JJ back out there

edit: I was at a bar in LA last night and when the post game interview with Watson was on, I instinctively pointed at him and yelled THATS MY BOY!!!
                    Last edited by HTMBMod; 1 week ago. Reason: language

Comment

• Bill O'Brien says Deshaun Watson was '50-50' on knowing Texans' offense: 'There's a lot to build on'

Sarah Barshop/ESPN Staff Writer
                      WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W.Va. -- After reviewing the film from the Houston Texans' preseason opener, coach Bill O'Brien said he was impressed by the poise rookie quarterback Deshaun Watson showed in his NFL debut.

"Something that's impressed me from really the time that I met him is really his overall poise," O'Brien said. "He's a very poised guy. He plays the game in a calm way. Obviously, nothing's too big for him. He's been in big games. For his first NFL game, I'm sure he was slightly nervous, but it didn't show."

In Wednesday night's 27-17 preseason loss to the Carolina Panthers, Watson was 15-of-25 passing for 179 yards. He also had three carries for 24 yards and a rushing touchdown.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said Thursday he was impressed by the poise rookie quarterback Deshaun
                      Watson showed in his NFL debut, noting Watson was correct about Houston's offensive scheme about
                      half the time -- "to be expected with a rookie." AP Photo/Jason E. Miczek

O'Brien noted that Watson was correct about the Texans' offensive scheme about half the time, which he said is "to be expected with a rookie." The head coach has previously said the toughest part for Watson in his transition from college to the NFL will be learning the Texans' complex playbook and becoming familiar with the scheme.

"There's a lot to build on," O'Brien said. "I mean, there's a lot to correct. He knows that. I'd say he was about 50-50 on some of the schemes we run, right or wrong. He was right 50 percent of the time. He was wrong 50 percent of the time. And that's to be expected with a rookie. But I think his overall poise and demeanor and the way he sees the game has always been something that's pretty impressive to me."

Watson played for more than two quarters of the preseason game; Tom Savagegot the start and played just the first three series for Houston. The fourth-year quarterback struggled to move the ball on the first two drives, going 1-for-3 for two yards. He turned it around on the third drive, leading the offense down the field on a 13-play, 75-yard drive that ended with a 16-yard touchdown run from running back Alfred Blue.

Savage finished his night 9-of-11 passing for 69 yards. O'Brien praised the job his starter did to recover from the slow start.

"I thought Tom played the game pretty resiliently too last night," O'Brien said. "He came back from a couple tough series as an offense and was able on the third series to lead us to a touchdown."

Savage continues to be the Texans' starter entering Week 3 of training camp, and will likely start the season in that same position, too.

"I thought both of those guys had their moments where they were really playing well," O'Brien said. "To me, it was typical first preseason game. There was some good, some not-so-good. A lot to build on."

Comment

• Grant Halverson/Getty Images

Deshaun Watson Shines vs. Panthers in Professional Debut for Texans

BleacherReport
                        Deshaun Watson shone in his first NFL preseason action Wednesday night and commanded the Houston Texans offense in efficient fashion after taking over for starter Tom Savage in a 27-17 loss to the Carolina Panthers at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Before he was lifted late in the fourth quarter, the No. 12 overall pick in April's draft completed 15 of 25 passes for 179 yards. He also rushed three times for 24 yards, including a 15-yard scoring scamper in the third quarter.

Savage, by comparison, was limited to one quarter of play with the starters and completed nine of 11 passes for 69 yards. The highlight of Savage's night came at the end of the opening frame, when he led Houston on a 13-play, 75-yard drive that was punctuated by Alfred Blue's 16-yard touchdown run.

Despite those positive flashes, Watson stole the show in two-plus quarters against Carolina's backups.

Beyond the pure numbers, it was clear the rookie was comfortable sitting back in the pocket and picking apart the Panthers secondary without rushing throws, as B/R's Matt Miller observed:
                        Matt Miller@nfldraftscout

Watson is routinely getting to the right read—even when it's deep progression. He's seeing it.
                        8/9/2017, 8:46:42 PM
                        NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah and Steve Mariucci also came away impressed by the former Clemson Tigers signal-caller:
                        Daniel Jeremiah@MoveTheSticks

Watson looks very smooth tonight. Footwork, poise & decision making
                        8/9/2017, 8:45:31 PM
                        Steve Mariucci@SteveMariucci

In my humble opinion..we are watching Texans QB DeShaun Watson show tonight why he will be a franchise QB in our League! @NFL @nflnetwork
                        8/9/2017, 8:52:43 PM
                        Rotoworld's Evan Silva, meanwhile, saw Watson's ability to extend plays with his legs as perhaps the biggest reason for optimism moving forward:
                        Evan Silva@evansilva

Savage may be a more advanced passer but Watson's dual threat adds another dimension to a #Texans offense that needs it. Will help run game.
                        8/9/2017, 8:49:30 PM
                        "He's a good player," head coach Bill O'Brien said of Watson, according to the Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson. "He's an instinctive player. He did some good things."

With one game under his belt, Watson figures to hit the film room hard in the days ahead as he continues to fine-tune his approach before the Texans return to the field Aug. 19 for a tilt against the New England Patriots at NRG Stadium.

Comment

• CHICAGO, IL - AUGUST 10: Mitchell Trubisky #10 of the Chicago Bears passes under pressure from Shakir Soto #67 of the
                          Denver Broncos during a preseason game at Soldier Field on August 10, 2017 in Chicago, Illinois. The Broncos defeated the
                          Bears 24-17. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
                          • DeShone Kizer was the star of the rookie quarterbacks under pressure, passing for 126 yards and a touchdown when facing heat in the pocket, giving him a 129.2 passer rating. He was the only rookie quarterback to have a passer rating over 100.0 when pressured, and he was pressured 13 times on 23 dropbacks.
                          • Mitch Trubisky had a big night for the Bears, but his passer rating under pressure was just 47.2. He attempted six passes when hurried, completing only two of them for 25 yards, but two of them were dropped by his receivers. Where Trubisky stood out when pressured was making plays with his legs, notching three scrambles for 38 yards.
                          • Deshaun Watson was under pressure more than any other rookie passer over the first preseason games, feeling the heat on 16 of his dropbacks (53.3 percent). He attempted twelve passes, completing seven of them for 98 yards and a passer rating of 84.7. Like Trubisky, Watson also added value with his legs, scrambling three times for 24 yards and a touchdown.

Trubisky's accuracy was pretty jaw dropping for me.

Mahomes is on deck.

Comment

• The Film Room: Comparing Watson, Mahomes, Kizer, and Trubisky

The “big four” rookie quarterbacks have finally seen their first real game action in the NFL. We break down all of their performances on this week’s episode of The Film Room.

by Brett Kollmann
                            The Texans, Bears, Chiefs, and Browns all took big gambles in the 2017 NFL Draft. Despite this quarterback class being rather underwhelming (on paper) compared to groups in years past, all four ball clubs threw their cards on the table and hoped against hope that Lady Luck would reinvigorate their franchise.

Whether or not their shiny new quartet of signal callers - Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky, Pat Mahomes, and DeShone Kizer - will work out in the long run is obviously still up in the air, but there is no doubt that the early returns have been fantastic. On this week’s episode of The Film Room, we’ll take a deep dive into each and every one of those four debut performances and what they mean for this quarterback class as a whole. Enjoy!

Comment

• Texans rookie Deshaun Watson: 'I did a decent job'

By Aaron Wilson
                              Texans rookie backup quarterback Deshaun Watson was philosophical about his performance in his second preseason game.

It was a mixed bag of success and rough moments for the first-round draft pick from Clemson, which is to be expected during his first NFL experiences.

Watson showed off his mobility during a touchdown run where he eluded New England Patriots defensive end Kony Ealy. He completed just 3 of 10 passes for 102 yards and a 69.6 passer rating. He didn't commit a turnover, though, and kept the offense moving.

"I did a decent job," Watson said. "I did what I needed to do to try to move the ball to help the team out. There's always things I can get better at. I'm going to watch the film and I'm going to continue to work on that."

Midway through the preseason, Watson has completed 18 of 35 passes for 281 yards, no touchdowns and no interceptions. He's rushed for two touchdowns, gaining 34 yards on seven carries.

Watson's longest play was a 63-yard pass to running back D'Onta Foreman, who broke several tackles.

"I thought Deshaun did some good things," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "I think they were doing some things defensively that were tough. It wasn't like a big schematic game, but they were playing a lot of man coverage. Guys had to work hard to get open and I thought he made some plays.

"The play that he made to (Foreman) is a play that he's been doing a good job on that play ever since he's been here. I think it was a similar play to what he ran at Clemson – that type of scheme for that particular play."
                              Last edited by H2O4me; 1 day ago.

Comment

• Only his second game. He looks decent even when he is struggling a bit. Still put points on the board and still has no INT's.

Comment

Working...
                                X