• Welcome D'Onta Foreman, RB

D'Onta Foreman

RB, TEXAS
    • 6'0" HEIGHT
    • 31 3/8" ARM LENGTH
    • 233 LBS.WEIGHT
    • 10 1/8" HANDS
    OVERVIEW
    D'Onta and his twin brother, Armanti, were co-Most Valuable Players of District 24-4A while playing at Texas City High School. Both signed with Texas, with Armanti being the more prized recruit. D'Onta was the one exploding as a junior, however, leading the FBS with 184.4 rushing yards per game (2,028 total on 323 carries) and scoring 15 times. His six fumbles (all lost) were a bit worrisome, but they didn't prevent him from winning consensus All-American honors and the Doak Walker Award as the nation's best back. Freeman worked up to his starter status, playing seven games as a reserve in 2014 (15-73 rushing) and then 10 as a sophomore, rushing for 681 yards and five touchdowns before missing the final two games with a wrist injury.

STRENGTHS

Outstanding athleticism for a big runner. Smooth lateral movement. Has feet and agility for slide and go cuts from one gap to the next without a noticeable gear down. Finesses run lanes with subtle shifts and turns. Measured stride length optimizes balance. Swivels hips to swerve away from second level linebackers. Can hurdle open field tacklers who try and go low. Play speed is adequate. Has size and balance to pinball from one tackler to the next if he's not wrapped up. Jars linebackers and safeties at impact with his size alone. North-south runner. Rarely caught taking a loss due to ill-advised "bounce" outside. Proved he could shoulder heavy workload while cranking out consistent production week after week. Had tremendous conversion rate when short yardage was needed.

WEAKNESSES

Usually opts for finesse over power despite his size. Needs to become more decisive and aggressive between the tackles. Inconsistent acceleration into contact. Waits to churn feet until after blow has landed. One pace runner. Forced into 30 or more carries in six of his last seven games. Needs to press the line a little longer on inside zone carries. Impatient keeping runs play-side and looks to break back inside prematurely. Almost overly committed to original running track rather than being flexible with his reads. Burst is average through the line allowing defenders to get hands on him. Alarming ball security issues this season with seven fumbles and six lost. Poor mechanics in pass protection. Doesn't square assignments defaulting to lazy shoulder blocks.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 2-3

SOURCES TELL US

"I think he would have benefitted by staying in school another year. He's awful in pass protection. Our coaches won't put him out there if they think he'll get the quarterback killed. He has ability as a runner but I think it's going to take awhile for him to become a factor." - NFC Scouting Director

NFL COMPARISON

Jonathan Stewart

BOTTOM LINE

Former three-star recruit who turned that a chip on his shoulder into a 2,000-yard junior season. Foreman has outstanding foot quickness and wiggle for a back his size, but will need to run behind his pads and with more aggression on the next level. Teams could be split on his draft value as some may covet his size and athleticism while others will be concerned about a lack of third down value. Ultimately he has the talent to be a good NFL starter, but he's still a work in progress.

--Lance Zierlein
    Last edited by H2O4me; 4 weeks ago.
    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Dee-ON-tay

Lance had this pegged all along.
    In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
      Dee-ON-tay

Lance had this pegged all along.
      He very much did. I love the pick! Have a feeling Blue may be on the way out.

Freeman has more than just power and size, he has shown some moves and his speed is deceptive.

Still no OL or S... typical Smith

But a very good RB! Welcome Mr Freeman
      JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

him and Miller will form a nice lil tandem in the backfield and yes Blue is done. Need new blood in the backfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

He very much did. I love the pick! Have a feeling Blue may be on the way out.

Freeman has more than just power and size, he has shown some moves and his speed is deceptive.

Still no OL or S... typical Smith

But a very good RB! Welcome Mr Freeman
          He has good speed and the happy knack of finding holes in traffic. Love this pick.
          Now they need to put those two 4th rounders together and move up for Davenport or Johnson. (RT)
          1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Wow, never thought it would happen unless he fell to the 4th round....Miller and Foreman are going to make a helluva 1-2 punch and formidable backfield!! Now if we could get someone players to man the right side of the line we might actually be able to run to that side and churn out some yards.

Good way to ease pressure off the QB...nothing helps more than a good running game (other than a good Oline of course)

Comment

I'll be rooting for this guy. Welcome aboard. Go win us a Championship.
              Want to learn everything about the Texans cap? There is no better site out there than this one. Thanks Troy. Amazing work buddy!
              TexansCap.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yosarian View Post
                I'll be rooting for this guy. Welcome aboard. Go win us a Championship.
                Baby Earl? I'm hoping I really like this kids game. They say he can't block, I saw him pancake LBs and stand up DEs. He can improve sure, but he can do it decently already
                JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Love the pick!!

Comment

Great pick up. Rick and O'Brien really is adding some weapons on offense. I believe they will add to the oline in round 4.
                    sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

This does not make any sense, why another RB if ya just gonna keep Blue anyways and we don't even have enough bodies to staff the O-line at this time.

THE Anti troll

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
                        Great pick up. Rick and O'Brien really is adding some weapons on offense. I believe they will add to the O-line in round 4.
                        I like this pick to brother ! He can soften the D-line up for Millers faster aggressive style . We have a 2 headed monster in Houston again . Time to go O-line rest of the way . I think OB and RS think they can bolster the O-line with FA camp cuts and UDFA ? I think its a solid plan . Protecting TS from contact is the priority now . Ground & Pound throw when needed , The D is gonna be off the Chain with #99 back imho !!

Comment

Originally posted by methos838 View Post

I like this pick to brother ! He can soften the D-line up for Millers faster aggressive style . We have a 2 headed monster in Houston again . Time to go O-line rest of the way . I think OB and RS think they can bolster the O-line with FA camp cuts and UDFA ? I think its a solid plan . Protecting TS from contact is the priority now . Ground & Pound throw when needed , The D is gonna be off the Chain with #99 back imho !!

Agreed 100% i love the fact that we will have a Thunder and Lightening in our backfield. This should like you said keep Savage upright. Im down with going Oline the rest of the way but i think they will grab a Safety either with one of their 4th round pick or with 5th round.

Im so happy JJ is back. With Clowney taking the next step up, JJ wont be getting double and tripled teamed as much. McKinney , Mercilus and now this new kid Cunningham will be exciting to watch. Methos this Cunningham kid is a beast brother.
                          sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_in_KW View Post

Baby Earl? I'm hoping I really like this kids game. They say he can't block, I saw him pancake LBs and stand up DEs. He can improve sure, but he can do it decently already
                            As a Longhorn I'm thrilled. Like you I wasn't aware of any blocking issues. Gotta hold onto the ball a little better, Though. some said the Texans were interested in him but I didn't believe it. Would now like to see a couple of 320# earth moving OLmen, DB, and ILB....and a do-over on Bouye.

Comment

Lance's eval of Foreman was pretty spot on. Big boy with amazing feet but isn't aggressive all the time. Some times he runs through bodies and other times he goes down by an arm tackle.

Still, the tape is impressive. He is the definiton of a North/South runner. 1 cut and go.

Comment

Working...
                              X