• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texansfan15 View Post
    Watson: A-
    Cunningham: A+
    Foreman: A+ (Great value here)
    Davenport: B+ (developmental, but hopefully he won't take too long to be a top notch lineman)
    Watkins: B (I would've drafted several that were still on the board, but he's a good rotational player)
    Decoud: D (has potential, but I believe they could've gotten him in the 7th or UDFA)
    Fuller: C (I think they might be deceived by his tangibles)
    Get OUT OF MY BRAIN!!!!

Haha. Those are almost exactly my thoughts. Here's some additional rapid fire:

Watson : So fricking excited...more so by the day

Cunningham : I have a feeling we use him on some 3-4 Looks, and rotationally quicker than many think. He and McKinney are going to be a fantastic combo for years!

Foreman : Great, great value. Only issue would be there were some phenomenal DBs here....that hurt. Otherwise, I think he will be a stud for years, and we FINALLY have a goal line back.

Davenport : I don't expect to see him until at least next year. I think he will be that guy everyone starts labeling Bust b/c we don't see him play, but in 2019 he comes out and becomes a solid OT.

Watkins: I think in the Late 4th where we got Watkins there were some really good players, but he can still be a very solid rotational piece/depth. Desmond King at FS, Corn Elder at CB and Guards like Isaac Asiata, Connor McDermott and Roderick Johnson however would have been fantastic here, but then we would have had to get a NT elsewhere.

Decoud : I see nothing.....nothing I'm excited about. Josh Harvey-Clemons was there still and I think he has a great shot to be a starter. He's taller, stronger and better in coverage. Oh....and Nathan Peterman was there...having a QB crew of Savage/Watson/Peterman would have been great. Especially with Savage likely gone next season....that means we will have Watson/Weeded/rookie with no time in the system.

Fuller : I think Fuller could maaaaybe become a Guard worth keeping, but why not try and convert a RT to RG?

UDFA's : I would love to see VT QB Jerod Evans, USC Guard Damian Mama, and Arkansas LT Dan Skipper (now Cowboy), Illinois NT Chunky Clements, MSU LB Riley Bullough --Max's bro--, CB Channing Stribling (now a Brown) make it here.

Side note : Shocked no one signed Corey Clement the WIS RB with 3-4th grade, but we signed his backup?? They must have run his knees into the ground, it happens to many WIS RBs.

Comment

The Eyeball Test: Scouting The Texansí 2017 Draft Class

by Matt Weston/BattleRedBlog
      The premise of this article is simple. I watch videos of every player the Texans drafted. I let you know how and why I feel the way I do about them. At first it was the result of me watching highlight videos and developing quick impressions because I donít watch college football. At the time, I didnít watch college football because I was a younger idealist who felt you shouldnít care about schools you didnít go to. That is a very stupid and bad opinion. Itís even dumber to actually care about.

Since then, I have become better and so has this thing. Last year, it turned into me watching actual games of every player and diving deep into it with the type of award-winning analysis you only get here at Battle Red Blog. This season it evolved again, into itís final formóme watching a bunch of games and using GIFs to show you the why. This is its peak, unless I decide to write 3,000 words on why K.J. Dillon isnít someone you should expect to ever receive meaningful playing time, or why Alan Bonner is going to be the key to the Texansí special teams renaissance.

Iím not ever going to do that. This really is as good as it gets.

Deshaun Watson

I like Deshaun Watson. I wanted either him, Mitch Trubisky, DeShone Kizer, or Pat Mahomes (if Mahomes was the last man on Earth). I still canít believe Houston actually invested draft capital in the quarterback position. I thought for sure we were going to spend the rest of the year watching Tom Savage and Brandon Weeden commit unholy quarterback atrocities. Iím ecstatic the Texans ended up with one of those three quarterbacks.

Now, let me wrap my heart in chains and shove it deep down into my bowels. I donít understand why Houston traded up for Watson. Aside from leadership and intangibles, I donít know how Watson is worth a first round pick more than Kizer is. Houston would have been better off keeping that 2018 first round pick and hoping Watson fell to them, or taking Kizer, who is every bit as good of a prospect. Based on Houstonís peripheral stats in 2016, the difficulty of the upcoming schedule, the improvement of the division, their performance last year, the loss of A.J. Bouye, and the unknown regarding J.J. Wattís return, that 2018 first-rounder could end up being a top fifteen pick. I donít want to hear that Houston traded up and got their guy. Bill OíBrien and Rick Smith have found exactly zero good quarterbacks during their ride together.

I like Watson. I just donít agree with the decision to surrender assets to get him. If you want read more about why I like Watson, read this.
      In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Originally posted by H2O4me View Post
        I like to think they traded up for Watson because of his skillset, but moreso because he has the ability to become an emotional and vocal leader for our offense, something the Texans have lacked for some time (all time?).

$ In Bill We Trust &

Comment

Originally posted by theCATALYST View Post

I like to think they traded up for Watson because of his skillset, but moreso because he has the ability to become an emotional and vocal leader for our offense, something the Texans have lacked for some time (all time?).
          Or there are some other reasons.

I won't get into them, but it's 50/50 why Smith traded up when 80%+ odds he was going to be around at 25. And if not, not Kizer (too much project) Peterman would have been or Webb (but read Webb is having issues adapting). Peterman was probably as ready or some say more ready for the NFL and to play early than Mitch.
          JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

The Texans did the right thing moving up to get their GUY. They didn't want Kizer or Peterman. They wanted Watson so lets move on and hope for the best. If Watson become the Franchise QB we all been wanting. The headlines would read, "What a Smart and Gutsy Move by Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien moving up to get their Guy Deshaun Watson".
            sigpic

Bleeds Texans Blue Red and White Blood.

Comment

There is a side to me that wants somebody's later round QB pick to outshine all of the ones that went in the first round. That should put all of the rhetoric regarding these QB's to bed for awhile. Besides it's a great draft strategy that can pay off big with very little draft capital that the Texans completely avoid most years.

Comment

Bear you're tripping. Why would you want these late round QBs to out shine our rookie QB.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
                  Bear you're tripping. Why would you want these late round QBs to out shine our rookie QB.
                  Not what I implied. I want Watson to succeed as much as anyone. My post was just made to emphasize a draft strategy that should be ongoing that could prevent this QB nightmare we've been living with...and we still don't know the future with this pick. An ongoing search for a QB could prevent these gaps of totally wasted seasons between QB's. and I really believe in the trade value from finding serviceable QB's from picks outside the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by dancingbear View Post

Not what I implied. I want Watson to succeed as much as anyone. My post was just made to emphasize a draft strategy that should be ongoing that could prevent this QB nightmare we've been living with...and we still don't know the future with this pick. An ongoing search for a QB could prevent these gaps of totally wasted seasons between QB's. and I really believe in the trade value from finding serviceable QB's from picks outside the first round.
                    I was listening to this broadcast today on Clutchfans. And this dude made a great point. Basically said the Texans had their guy in Matt Schaub. Then the unfortunate happened. We had his replacement but Kubiak was too stubborn. Then the O'Brien era started. This is when the drama started. They should've kept Fitzpatrick at least another year and groomed Savage to be his replacement.
                    sigpic

Comment

I was listening to this broadcast today on Clutchfans. And this dude made a great point. Basically said the Texans had their guy in Matt Schaub. Then the unfortunate happened. We had his replacement but Kubiak was too stubborn. Then the O'Brien era started. This is when the drama started. They should've kept Fitzpatrick at least another year and groomed Savage to be his replacement.
                      From what I understand, it was the plan to make Savage the starter last season, but Rick Smith had other ideas, and sold the farm to get Osweiler. Now Rick Smith sold out this year and next to get rid of Brock, and move up to get Watson.

Comment

You have to give up something to achieve the greater goal. Its funny too me on how yalll killed him for not making any bold moves. Now that he is making these bold moves, yall are still killing him.

Bleep if you do , bleep if you don't applies here.
                        It's just like todays politics. You can't please some people no matter what if you've decided you don't like them. But I understand. The former GM of the Astros was my boogie man. I thought he was trying to use the Astros to SHOW the Phillies they made a mistake rather than actually improving the Astros. I hated every move, good or bad.

Smith and McNair are boogie men to many on this board.
                        https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M...0&h=300Adopter of #98 D. J. Reader

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall View Post

It's just like todays politics. You can't please some people no matter what if you've decided you don't like them. But I understand. The former GM of the Astros was my boogie man. I thought he was trying to use the Astros to SHOW the Phillies they made a mistake rather than actually improving the Astros. I hated every move, good or bad.

Smith and McNair are boogie men to many on this board.
                          So you just don't see from the Astros' example what an astute owner and a great GM can mean to a franchise. All the coach has to do is fill out the lineup card each day. It's called a "plan".

Comment

I've had plenty of conversations about how we gave up too much to get Watson. Don't know enough to grade but if he turns out to be to good to great then it was worth giving up those picks. Then again if he doesn't turn out to be good, I would say still worth it cause we finally had a guy we liked and went for it. If nothing else they took their shot at getting a franchise QB.
                            "Ugh, Dallas, that place is full of debutants and crackheads and half of them play for the Cowboys." - Hank Hill

Comment

Originally posted by dancingbear View Post

So you just don't see from the Astros' example what an astute owner and a great GM can mean to a franchise. All the coach has to do is fill out the lineup card each day. It's called a "plan".

But wasnt our Astros were in the dump for years. They had at least 4 years in which they lost 100+ games. The stadium was always empty during that time and tickets were cheap. They were able to draft young prospects with their numerous #1 picks.

So i would not be bragging about the Astros who haven't had any true success either. After Albert P took our hearts with that game winning homerun. The Astros were the laugh stock of the MLB.

We are looking really good now.
                              sigpic

Comment

NFLPA @NFLPA
                                Saturday's are for the boys. #RookiePremiere

<== Click for larger

The NFLPA Rookie Premiere, where the NFLPA makes some players miss all important practice/learning time with their new teams,

So they can do 3 days of photo-ops and learn how to get themselves a fall guy...

D'Onta Foreman is in row #2 and Deshaun is in the back row, above.
                                In 2016 Brock Osweiler was rated last (32nd) among all QBs (>400 attempts) by ProFootballFocus and ranked 33rd/34 QBs (>200 attempts) by Football Outsiders.

Comment

Working...
                                X