Tom Savage will be the one going to start the season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Savage will be the one going to start the season

I think the biggest question that I have immediately is that even though I feel pretty confident with Savage being our week 1 starter....im not so confident in our head coach. More specifically, it's not even necessarily his game planning, it's his ability or the lack there of for making IN GAME adjustments!!! I feel like Savage has the tools to be very serviceable, I'm curious what type of situations he will find himself in when things get tough and O'Brien has to make real in game coaching decisions!!!

I would have to disagree with you. If O'Brien was guilty of anything in the past it was sticking with his guy and letting godsey do some incompetent play calling. Finally after a couple of seasons of no improvement they were quick to give godsey the boot and part ways.

I will agree that Savage has the tools to be successful but I think his success will all depend on the gaping holes we have on the right side of the line. If we can fill those positions with starter caliber players then I think he was a good chance, if we continue to put turnstiles like Newton and Clark on the right side then I think he will fail and fail miserably since we wont be able to protect him nor get the running game going to that side.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgothin View Post
      I think the biggest question that I have immediately is that even though I feel pretty confident with Savage being our week 1 starter....im not so confident in our head coach. More specifically, it's not even necessarily his game planning, it's his ability or the lack there of for making IN GAME adjustments!!! I feel like Savage has the tools to be very serviceable, I'm curious what type of situations he will find himself in when things get tough and O'Brien has to make real in game coaching decisions!!!
      Such as?

1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

It wasn't OB's fault that Fuller dropped numerous TDs and 1st downs, or threw to covered receivers. There were plenty of open receivers last year. Execution at the QB and WR positions was lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by lrtexasman View Post
          It wasn't OB's fault that Fuller dropped numerous TDs and 1st downs, or threw to covered receivers. There were plenty of open receivers last year. Execution at the QB and WR positions was lacking.
          The op's last sentence is just comedic ignorance.
          1. Reddick LB 2. Peterman QB 3. Garcia T 4a. Justin Evans S 4b. Donta Foreman 5. Jarron Jones DL 7. Marquez White CB

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post

The op's last sentence is just comedic ignorance.
            It is very much that.

OB won't start Watson if he is allowed. Media reports said Savage outplayed every QB in TC last season. OB was told to start Brock by McNair. You don't pay 72mil for a player to sit. That is why McNair said OB was "gutsy" for benching Brock. He was the hope of saving the QB position and was being paid alot too. If ordered from the top, OB will have no choice but to start Watson.

I hope Savage starts and plays very well. If he can stay healthy I can see him posting good stats and leading the team to 10+ wins. If Watson starts with his inaccurate passing I see 8-8 type season. Kid needs to learn and not in game when the W/Ls count
            JJ Watt & Co ready to destroy

Comment

Savage should be a solid QB and he will lead this team but the way we seem to eat QB's as a franchise I love this team's makeup. I live outside of the Houston sports bubble.....Pasadena California. We get absolutely NO TEXANS news nationally......unless by chance someone wants to compare us to something weird. I have heard more positive buzz from this end of the world because of our teams makeup and the knowledge that we are moving to get better. About time. I would love to wear a big S on my chest for Savage not Supermen but I'll gladly wear a W for Watson or Winning.

Comment

Tom's good ............... and he just broke something!
                THE Anti troll

Comment

Given what Smith said on ESPN about Watson being allowed to compete for the QB spot, and what Bill said about not wanting to start a rookie and about Savage being the "starting QB," I expect there is a real possibility of Bill being over-ruled (yet again?).

Comment

Originally posted by MossPoint View Post
                    Given what Smith said on ESPN about Watson being allowed to compete for the QB spot, and what Bill said about not wanting to start a rookie and about Savage being the "starting QB," I expect there is a real possibility of Bill being over-ruled (yet again?).
                    Rick also said that Tom is the starter. He was just trying to make a headline for reporters to eat up.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans Ball View Post
                      Savage should be a solid QB and he will lead this team but the way we seem to eat QB's as a franchise I love this team's makeup. I live outside of the Houston sports bubble.....Pasadena California. We get absolutely NO TEXANS news nationally......unless by chance someone wants to compare us to something weird. I have heard more positive buzz from this end of the world because of our teams makeup and the knowledge that we are moving to get better. About time. I would love to wear a big S on my chest for Savage not Supermen but I'll gladly wear a W for Watson or Winning.
                      If you really wanna win you would wear a W for Weedon !! Big arm and the big thing the other two dont have experience . This will be his 3rd yr in the system he knows it as well as TS and can read a D to get into the right play. DW should hold a clip board all this season since hes definitely not close to ready . If TS does go down Weedon will shine if OB isnt forced to start the Rook . Take a look at Weedon's stats on crap teams and Imagine what he could do with a decent O-line and all the weapons at around him !! The hes a backup Bull is just because he was stuck on bad , bad teams . Its all there if ya look . Im good with TS to start the season but if injured I wanna see BW get a shot before Watson ...

Comment

Originally posted by methos838 View Post

If you really wanna win you would wear a W for Weedon !! Big arm and the big thing the other two dont have experience . This will be his 3rd yr in the system he knows it as well as TS and can read a D to get into the right play. DW should hold a clip board all this season since hes definitely not close to ready . If TS does go down Weedon will shine if OB isnt forced to start the Rook . Take a look at Weedon's stats on crap teams and Imagine what he could do with a decent O-line and all the weapons at around him !! The hes a backup Bull is just because he was stuck on bad , bad teams . Its all there if ya look . Im good with TS to start the season but if injured I wanna see BW get a shot before Watson ...

Im sure thats the plan going forward as has been expressed by both Bill O'Brien and Rick Smith. Savage starter, Weeden backup, and Watson the sponge soaking it all in

Comment

I went and looked at his stats and they are bad, sure he played on a bade browns team, but he couldn't do squat with a Cowboys roster that went to the playoffs the year before and after him, so you can't tell me that's a bad team. Weeden knows his capabilities, and knows he is not a starter in this league. Hence why he signed an extension to be a 3rd string qb on a team with bad qbs. OB developed a he'll of a game plan for Weeden, like he did with Keenum, and Yates when they had to come in and spot start doesn't mean we should put out hopes in any of them.
                          sigpic

Comment

There were so many times that I saw open players where the ball was not thrown. I can't blame OB on this since he's not the one out there making the reads on the field. Gotta be able to scan the field better and make faster / better decisions as a QB. I do have an issue with a lot of the 3rd down calls and hopefully those change in the future.

Comment

Weeden is not good he couldn't even play behind the Cowboys o-line lol weeden might not even be on the roster don't let 2 years ago beating a bad Titans and colts team think he can play.

Comment

Working...
                              X